Survey of London: Volume 6, Hammersmith. Originally published by London County Council, London, 1915.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
XVI.—WEST LODGE, No. 27 LOWER MALL
Ground landlord, leaseholders, etc.
General description and date of structure.
This house, like several others on the Mall, retains the core of an earlier house than would appear from its exterior. It has, in fact, been entirely recased, back and front, with stock brickwork, and the addition of a circular bay-window on the south as well as on the north elevation intensifies its apparent late character. The alterations seem to have been made early in the 19th century, and to this period can be assigned the circular iron balustrade of the first floor balcony to the front bay, the balustrading over the porch and above the parapet of the house, and the attractive little entrance gate with its arch of iron scrollwork supporting a lampholder.
The chief internal feature remaining from the original house is a fine staircase, with balusters and carved brackets similar in detail to that at Manor Hall, illustrated in Plate 120. The eastern front room is almost the only one to retain its early panelling, and here is an exceptionally fine marble fireplace of considerable size with deep bolection moulded architrave and well-designed cornice (c. 1700 or perhaps earlier). Within the opening is a richly ornamented grate and deep border of cast-iron belonging to the Adam period. The staircase and panelling belong to the second decade of the 18th century.