Survey of London: Volume 6, Hammersmith. Originally published by London County Council, London, 1915.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
Just east of the point at which the Lower Mall (or Middle Mall as it used to be called) joins the converging lane now known as Aspen Place, the two footways are connected by a little irregular row of cottages, standing in a court named Banners Yard. The middle cottage is the earliest in date and is somewhat larger than its neighbours, forming probably at one time a detached building with its garden. It was built apparently in the 17th century, and retains some of its casement windows. The whole row has whitewashed walls and old tile roofs, and though it is difficult to get a full view of the buildings, one obtains a pleasant glimpse of them in passing.
Old Prints, drawings, etc.
(fn. 1) Pen-and-ink drawing by Mr. A. O. Collard.
In the Council's ms. collection is:
View of Banners Yard (photograph).