Survey of London: Volume 6, Hammersmith. Originally published by London County Council, London, 1915.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
XXXVII.—SITE OF THE SHIP INN, UPPER MALL
Very little seems to be known about this old river-side inn beyond the information supplied by Faulkner, (fn. 1) who says that it was an ancient building in the style of the time of Charles I. It stood on the south side of the footway, between the path and the river, and the brick porch and a part of the front wall (with its sign) have survived its demolition. A water-colour drawing of the inn, copied in 1867 from an earlier drawing, is preserved in the Coates Collection (Plate 88), and a painting on panel is in the possession of Mr. Samuel Martin. A photograph of the porch as it exists is reproduced here (Plate 89), together with the old view. It is improbable that the porch dates from before the second half of the 17th century. It will be seen that the level of the ground has been considerably raised of late years. The Court Rolls of the Manor of Fulham contain entries relating to a Ship Inn situated in the lane leading from the chapel at Hammersmith to the water-side, but the following entry, dated 6th April, 1795, undoubtedly refers to the inn on the Upper Mall: "George Thrale (heir and younger brother of William Thrale) and Robert Foster surrender The Ship, formerly in the occupation of John Meredith, late of — Salter, and now or late of Robert Dearman (being one of seven tenements formerly the estate of John Jones), to the use of John Sich of Chiswick." The ratebooks give the name of John Sich as being in occupation from 1795–98.
Old prints, drawings, etc.
(fn. 2)Water-colour drawing by J. T. Wilson in the Coates Collection entitled "The Old Ship, copied 1867, from a drawing lent by the landlord."
In the Council's ms. collection are:
(fn. 2)Photograph of the brick porch.