No. 5 Western Terrace

Page 97

Survey of London: Volume 6, Hammersmith. Originally published by London County Council, London, 1915.

This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.



Within the island formed by the beginning of Chiswick Mall, the northern footway which starts westward from the same point, and Eyot Gardens which cuts them both, is a cottage of a roughly L-shaped plan, dating from the 17th century. The projecting wing, which no doubt originally contained the staircase, turns northwards; the old red brickwork is of interesting quality, and on the north side there remains an original mullioned and transomed window of two lights.

The interior of the cottage was remodelled in the 18th century and contains little of its early character. The front room on the ground floor is lined with Georgian panelling.