Survey of London: Volume 8, Shoreditch. Originally published by London County Council, London, 1922.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
VII.–VIII.—Nos. 124 and 126 HOXTON STREET.
Ground landlords, etc.
General description and date of structure.
These premises consist of basement and three storeys over, erected in stock brickwork with red-brick dressings, relieved with a plain brick band at the second-floor level, and are roofed with tiles. The original front garden is now built over and contains one-storey shop premises. The entrance doorway to No. 126 has stone Doric half-columns supporting an entablature of good proportions. Within, the rooms generally are lined with square deal panelling and moulded cornices. The staircases (Plates 62 to 64) have twisted balusters, three to a tread, and shaped brackets, while the walls are covered with deal moulded panelling. There are one or two hob-grates, and No. 124 has an interesting white marble mantelpiece.
The site of these premises was included in that part of the Austen property which was excepted from the sale to Tyssen in 1703. (fn. 1) The buildings appear to date from about the middle of the 18th century, and are therefore not likely to be identical with any of those mentioned in the deed of 1720, detailing the southern portion of the excepted property. It is quite possible, however, that they occupy the site of one or both of the messuages fronting Hoxton Street, north of Lady Bowyer's premises.
Condition of repair.
In the Council's collection are:
(fn. 2) Ground plan of houses (measured drawing).
(fn. 2)No. 125—details of staircase do.
(fn. 2)No. 124—details of marble mantel-piece (measured drawing). Rear elevation (photograph).
(fn. 2) Staircase and Hall do.
(fn. 2) do. do.