Survey of London: Volume 8, Shoreditch. Originally published by London County Council, London, 1922.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
IX.-XI.—Nos. 2, 3, AND 4 HOXTON SQUARE.
General description and date of structure.
Reference has been made (fn. 1) to the lease of the site or Hoxton Square to Sir Samuel Blewitt and Robert Hackshaw in 1683. Within the next few years Blewitt and Hackshaw let out the ground in plots for building, but, although references to several such leases, dating from 1684 to 1700, have been found, it has not been possible to identify the particular houses referred to. It may be taken, however, that those houses in the square which have not been rebuilt may be ascribed to the latter part of the 17th century.
Nos. 2, 3 and 4 consist of three-storey brick premises and basement. Some of the rooms have square deal panelling and moulded cornices. The staircases of Nos. 3 and 4 have turned balusters, moulded close strings, and square newels with moulded pendants. The back entrance door to No. 2 has carved brackets supporting a square hood.
Condition of premises.
The premises have been altered and adapted to meet their present use as a fancy-leather warehouse.
In the Council's collection is:
Handbill of particulars of sale in Hoxton Square, 1780 (photograph, by kind permission of Messrs. W. H. Brand and Sons).