Survey of London: Volume 8, Shoreditch. Originally published by London County Council, London, 1922.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
XLII.—No. 27 CHARLES SQUARE.
General description and date of structure.
This house consists of two storeys, with an attic and basement. The front room on the ground floor has deal panelling, with moulded cornice and chair rail. The chimney-piece across one of the angles of the room has a panel above with a moulded architrave containing a canvas, now painted over. The staircase is of generous width and easy going. The balustrading has well-turned balusters, with a moulded close string, square newel posts with ball terminals, and moulded pendants. The whole is characteristic of the work of the late 17th century, and it is probable therefore that the house dates back to the period 1685–90, when Charles Hills was effecting his sub-leases. The front area railings have well-designed cast-iron standards (Plate 42).
Condition of repair.
In the Council's collection Are:
(fn. 1)Plan of premises (measured drawing).
(fn. 1)Staircase, details of balustrading (measured drawing).
(fn. 1)Iron railings, detail (measured drawing).
(fn. 1)Nos. 25–26, lamp-bracket, detail (measured drawing).