Survey of London: Volume 8, Shoreditch. Originally published by London County Council, London, 1922.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
XLVII.—No. 190 SHOREDITCH HIGH STREET.
Description and date of structure.
These premises, which probably occupy a portion of the site of the three messuages leased by the prioress of Holywell to Thomas Towle in 1532 (fn. 1), present an interesting brick front of the early 18th century above a modern shop front (Plate 85). Two flanking brick pilasters with brick Doric capitals, and a moulded entablature embrace two storeys. The main cornice, in moulded brickwork, enriched with dentils, breaks round the pilasters and carried across the front. The window-frames are built flush with the wall, and have segmental heads, with rubbed brick arches; those to the second floor have a brick apron below the sill, and the sashes are divided into small squares by glazing-bars. A moulded brick string-course marks the second-floor level. The storey above the main cornice bears evidence of later workmanship.
Condition of repair.
The Council's collection contains:—
(fn. 2)View of exterior (photograph).