Survey of London: Volume 8, Shoreditch. Originally published by London County Council, London, 1922.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
LVIII.–LXIII.—Nos. 12, 14, 16, 18, 20 AND 22 CURTAIN ROAD.
The freehold is a portion of the Stainton estate.
No. 12 is a three-storey brick building, the ground floor of which, used as a shop, has an interesting bay window of small projection. Nos. 14 to 22 comprise a terrace of four-storey premises and basements. The fronts are in red brick with plain bands cemented over at first, second and third-floor levels. The windows have frames flush with the wall and gauged brick arches over, while the roofs are tiled. The interiors generally have square deal panelling, but have been considerably altered to permit of their being used as workrooms. No. 14 has, on the ground floor, a carved mantelpiece having a frieze enriched with openwork design, the mouldings over which are, unfortunately, missing. The same room has a moulded chair rail (Plate 86). No. 16 has a deal pedimented door-head supported on shaped brackets, over a semicircular fanlight (Plate 86), and Nos. 14 and 18 shew signs of similar treatment.
Condition of repair.
In the Council's collection are:
Nos. 14 to 22, exterior (photograph).
(fn. 1) Nos. 14, mantelpiece do.
(fn. 1) No. 16, doorway (photograph).