Survey of London: Volume 8, Shoreditch. Originally published by London County Council, London, 1922.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
LXIV.—QUEEN'S SQUARE, FINSBURY AVENUE.
Ground landlords, etc.
Description and date of structure.
This little square, which forms a short cul-de-sac, seems to have just escaped demolition when Broad Street Goods Station was developed, and, being now hidden away behind modern City offices, causes an agreeable surprise.
No. 5 (Plate 88), which extends across the west end of the square, consists of three storeys constructed in red-brick facings with gauged arches. The windows are flush with the wall, those on the ground floor having shutters, a common feature of the 18th century. The majority of the window sashes retain their small panes. The central entrance has a moulded deal door-case, with Doric pilasters supporting a moulded pediment over a semicircular fanlight. Internally the rooms are small and plain, and contain nothing of special interest.
Condition of repair.
In the Council's collection is:—
(fn. 1) General view of exterior.