Survey of London: Volume 8, Shoreditch. Originally published by London County Council, London, 1922.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
XXVIII.-XXXVII.—Nos. 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, AND 14 CHARLES SQUARE.
General description and date of structure.
The southern half of Charles Square, extending up to and including No. 17 on the west side, formed portion of parcel (i) of Pitfield, (fn. 1) the 900 years' lease of which was assigned on 27th April, 1721, by Ann Ball (widow of Anthony Ball) to John Webster. (fn. 2) A later John Webster on 23rd July, 1770, leased the southern portion of this parcel containing the site of Nos. 5–14, Charles Square, to William Crocker, (fn. 3) who on 20th October in the same year demised it to James Samuel and John Willam. In the lease to Crocker it is described as "set with greens, plants, fruit and other trees." It is evident that no houses had so far been erected, but by 12th December, 1770, two at least (the present Nos. 5 and 6) had been built or were in course of building. (fn. 4) Nos. 7 to 12 were probably erected shortly afterwards, (fn. 5) and the date 1771 incised on a stone tablet on the front of No. 6 may be regarded as approximately the date of erection of the eight houses. (fn. 6) Nos. 13 and 14 were not built until a few years later, as a deed of 8th September, 1774, (fn. 7) refers to their site as a parcel of ground unbuilt upon.
These premises each consist of three storeys and a basement, the area to which has wrought-iron railings, with cast-iron vase-shaped tops to the main standards. The houses are constructed of stock bricks and have a plain band at the first-floor level. The windows have gauged arches with some of the window-frames flush with the wall, the glass being divided into small panes. Some of the entrance doorways have deal door-cases, with carved brackets supporting a moulded hood over a semicircular fanlight, and are good examples of the work of the period (Plate 76). A drawing shows the door-case to No. 12 (Plate 77)
The rooms generally have a plain deal panelled dado finished with a moulded chair rail, while the staircases have turned balusters of light design. Otherwise there is little of interest. (fn. 8)
Condition of repair.
In the Council's collection are:
(fn. 9)South side of square, general view (photograph).
(fn. 9)No. 12, entrance doorway, details (measured drawing).