Survey of London: Volume 9, the Parish of St Helen, Bishopsgate, Part I. Originally published by London County Council, London, 1924.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
VII.—MONUMENTS WITHIN THE CHURCH
Altar tomb by Nicholas Stone, (fn. 1) with plain white marble sides, flat pilasters at the angles, and simple moulded base. It is surmounted by a slab of touch with three inscriptions in Latin on white marble. The top inscription takes the form of a deed with a large seal attached. Upon the seal appears in relief a shield with the following:
An altar tomb of white marble with fluted sides of shaped section, with enriched moulded base and capping supporting a mottled marble slab on which is cut the name, Sir Thomas Gresham, with the date of his burial, but no other inscription. Upon the north side of the tomb is an oval shield of arms flanked by a pair of cherubs with ornamental strap-work borders of fruit and flowers. Upon the south side is a shaped shield of arms with helm and mantling in high relief upon a panel with ornamental strap-work borders. At the east end is an oval shield of arms upon a panel with cut and shaped strap-work borders, enriched with fruit and flowers. At the west end is a shield of arms with helm and mantling in high relief similar to those upon the north side.
Wall-monument of marble with Ionic columns at the sides supporting an entablature and curved broken pediment with a cartouche of arms. In the middle is an inscription on black marble within an oval wreath of bay leaves. Below a projecting moulded shelf is a second inscribed panel between a pair of moulded corbels each with a cherub's head upon it. Below this again on an apron is a shield of arms and swags.
Peripatetice, & paulisper contemplare,
Ornatissimi Microcosmi heu! breves reliquias
Nunc in pulverem redacti olim
Guilielmi Finch, Armigeri antiquâ & data
in Agro Cantij Familia oriundi
Naturæ & Gratiœ dotibus egregie nobilitati Ad Oris Corporisq.
Venustatem accessit maior Animœ pulchritudo optimis virtutibus insignitæ Quas in Christianæ Religionis testimonium et decus luculenter
Eximia in Deum. O. M. Pietate erga Sacros Pastores. summā
Reverentia, Fidelitate in Principem, Justitia in Proximum Conjugali
Paternacq Indulgentia Singulari in Familiares affectu integerrima pro
pensa in Omnes Benevolentia; Linguâ castus et candidus manu supra
fidem Liberalis; Nemini turpiter obloqui, aut obtrectare solitus omnibus
benefacere, inprimis Egenis absqb, prœcinente buccina, Eleemosynis pariter ac
Thesauris plenus, quos probe accumulatos in Terra plurimos prudens Mercator
in Cœlo recondidit, Vitam tandem commutandis aliquandiu mercibus pros
pere transactam 42 Ætatis annum emensus Jun 27. 1672
Meliori quæstu cum Morte comutavit.
Relictis & bonœ spei Parvulis cum dilectissima et
Amantissima Uxore quæ in perpetuam tam chari Capuis Me
moriam Monumentum hoc, constantissimi Amoris Pignus, extruendum curavit, Ipsa interim mœrore cum Illo consepulta
Esther Finch Foemina castissima, Viro morigera, et curæ domesticæ dulce levamen Liberorvm (quos septem reliquit) Mater provida, Sincera pietate, alacri erga tenuiores benignitate, libera litate in omnes, morvm denique sanctitate conspicva. Viri (dvm in vivis esset) decus simul et solamen; defvncti, Vidua svpra qvamdici potest moestissima. Vixit Annos 41. Menses 5. demp tis Diebus 11. Obiit Maii Die 4. ANNO SALVTIS 1673.
A combined monument, squint and Easter sepulchre, in the form of a recessed altar-tomb. The base, now set very high up, owing to the lowering of the floor level, has six cinquefoiled openings in front and one on each return; a further series of mullions at the back opened into the sacristy. A moulded slab of hard stone surmounts this base, and on it rest the two side shafts of the canopied recess. This recess has a square moulded outer head surmounted by a moulded cornice covered with foliage and having the remains of a cresting of flowers; the heads of the side shafts are masked by two defaced shields. The soffit of the recess is contrived as a four-centred arch set on the splay and having cusped panelling continued down the jambs. At the back of the recess is a rectangular sinking for an inscribed plate, now missing.
The will of Johane Alfrey, widow, 1525 (P.C.C., 5 Porch) refers specifically to the remaking of this monument and Easter sepulchre. She desires to be buried in the "quere under a tumbe in the walle stonding before the image of Saint Helyn whereuppon the Sepulcre of our Lord hath ben yerely used to be sett. And for the same cause specially I will that the said tumbe be newe made by myn executors . . . a stone to be laide upon the grave of my late husbonde William Ledys making mencion who lyeth buried under the same stone . . . a table conteyning thre ymages, that is to say the ymage of the Trinitie to be in the myddes of the same table and the ymage of our Lady to be on the right side of the same Trinitie and the ymage of saint Kateryn to be on the left side of the same Trinitie and that in the same table be well and workmanly wrought and paynted an ymage of a gentilwoman kneling holding hir handes joyntly togiders and loking upon the said ymages with an oracion to be written in letters upon the same table and the same table to be fastened upon the walle bitwene my said tumbe and the ymage of Saint Helyn." Johane was wife first of William Ledys and secondly of Thomas Alfrey of Lancing, Sussex. The identity of the existing monument with that mentioned in the will is rendered certain by the record by Hatton of two coats-of-arms on an old monument in this position—(a) a fess between three eagles displayed, the arms of Leeds, and (b) a cheveron between three anulets.
A small mural monument of two bays divided and flanked by Corinthian columns resting on a panelled and inscribed base of quadrant section and supporting an entablature and a broken pediment with a round cartouche in the middle, enclosing a shield of arms. In the recesses between the columns are kneeling figures of a man and six sons (on the left) and his wife and one daughter (on the right) with a desk on each side of the middle column; above the figures are a shield and lozenge of arms.
Flos mercatorvm, qvos terra Britana creavit, écce, svb hoc tvmvlo Gvlielmvs Bondvs hvmatvr. ille mari mvltvm passvs per saxa, per vndas ditavit patrias peregrinis mercibvs oras. Magnanimvm Græci mirantvr Iasona vates avrea de Gelido retvlit qvia vellera Phasi.
Graecia docta tace Graii concedite vates: hic jacet Argolico mercator Iasone maior. vellera mvlta tvlit magis avrea vellere Phryxi Et freta mvlta scidit magis ardva Phasidos vndis. hei mihi qvod nvllo mors est svperabilis avro flos mercatorvm, Gulielmvs Bondvs humatvr.
Above (5) is a plain rectangular inscribed tablet, recessed at the sides, with a moulded cornice and a shaped apron with a shield of arms and foliage. Above the cornice is a pyramidal slab with figures in high relief of a woman (probably Charity) holding a medallion portrait of the deceased and with three children below. Twined about the figures is a broad ribbon.
Here are likewise deposited the remains of
Peter gaussen Esq who died 17th. Septr. 1759,
Aged 82 Years.
And iane gaussen Wife of the last mentioned
who died 4th. Iany. 1747, Aged 71 Years, Uncle and Aunt
to the first mentioned Peter Gaussen.
Likewise anna maria gaussen who died the 24th. Iune, 1767,
Aged 6 Years and 6 Months.
Paul gaussen who died 17th Iany. 1774, Aged 16 Years.
peter gaussen who died 28th Octr. 1781, Aged 25 Years.
Children of the first mentioned Peter Gaussen Esq.
Anna maria gaussen Widow of Peter gaussen esq.r.
Obt. December 6th 1804 in the 70th. Year of her Age.
A wall monument flanked by Corinthian columns resting on carved trussed corbels and supporting separate entablatures and a broken segmental pediment with an achievement of arms in the middle. Between the columns is a rectangular panel with a camp scene in high relief. In the middle is the armed figure of the deceased seated in the entrance of a tent; at the sides are sentries armed as musketeers, and to the left is a horse and groom; below the panel is an enriched apron with an inscribed tablet and shield of arms; a third shield of arms hangs at the back of the tent.
Neere this place resteth ye body of ye worthy Cittizen & Solder
Martin Bond Esq son of Will' Bond Sherife & Alderman of London
he was Captaine in ye yeare 1588 at ye campe at Tilbury & after remained
cheife Captaine of ye trained Bandes of this Citty vntil his death
He was a Marchant Adventver & free of ye Company of Haberdasher,
He lived to the Age of 85 yeares and Dyed in May 1643
His Pyety Prvdence Covrage and Charity, have left
behinde him a Never Dyeing Monvment
Quam Prudens hic Miles erat quam Nobile Rectus,
Nouerunt Princeps Patria Castra Duces
Ciui quanta fuit Pietas, quam larga Manusq
Pauperis agnoscunt viscera Templa Togœ,
Miles hic et ciuis qualem Vix millibus Unum
Sæcla referre queant nec meminisse Parem
near this spot
are deposited the remains
Henry Peter Kuhff Esquire,
who departed this life
october the 10th 1796
in the 70th: year of his age.
Peter Kuhff his son
January the 10th: 1786,
in his 7TH year.
Frederick Charles Kuhff Esquire,
march the 11th: 1792
aged 50 years.
A wall monument with an inscribed tablet of black marble, with gilt lettering, in the middle and a moulded border flanked by a pair of Corinthian columns resting on trusses and supporting an entablature with a segmental broken pediment, and an achievement of arms. The apron has an inscribed tablet and a scrolled enrichment at the base.
I shall see God in my flesh
Neere vnto this place lyeth buryed
the body of Valentine Mortoft Esq.
haveing lived comfortably wth. two
wives: The first Ellen Glover, by
whome hee had William, who was
liveing at his death. His secod wife
Margaret Davghter of Sir
Hvgh Ham'rsly Kt. & Alderman of
London, by her hee had issve fovr
Sons, and three davghters of wch.
He left liveing one Son &
In Memory of
JOHN SMITH ESQR
of this Parish who died
June 29th 1783 Aged
Sincerety and Benevolence
he endeared himself to
who knew him:
But more especially to the
Poor. and Needy.
by kind Condescension and boundless
"Go and do thou likewise"
A modern inscription. The original monument now rests beneath the floor of the church, in accordance with the instructions of the deceased, that it should remain for one hundred years and then be placed underground.
The achievement of arms is no doubt part of the original monument, as it incorporates part of a moulded cornice which forms no part of the present design. An engraving showing the complete monument is included in J. T. Smith's Antiquities of London.
In memory of
Mr Francis Bancroft
who bequeathed the
bulk of his property
in London and middlesex
on trust to the worshipful
company of drapers, to
be applied by them in
the cause of charity
and education. He died
March xix 1727. aged 75
Near this Place lies interr'd the Body of
Major General GEORGE KELLUM, Third Son
of George Kellum Esqr. of this Parish.
He had the Honour to serve his Country under
the best of Princes, King William the Third,
of Glorious Memory:
And after his Decease under the victorious
Iohn Duke of Marlborough
And was Colonel of an English Regiment
He died in the Communion of the Church of
Christ, and rests in hope of a blessed
Resurrection: Through the alone Merits of
his Saviour Iesus Christ
Born September the 26th, 1659:
Died December the 23d, 1732:
Consists of an altar tomb, canopy, and wall panel all of Purbeck or Sussex marble. The altar tomb has a panelled front with three square quatrefoiled panels enclosing blank shields, and four upright panels each divided into two lights; the ends have similar panels; the slab has a moulded edge recessed for brass fillets. The canopy rests on two free piers and two shafted responds against the wall; the piers are buttressed and have shallow niches with crocketted spires and pinnacles; the front of the canopy is richly panelled and has three ogee crocketted arches springing from intermediate pendants and having cusped segmental sub-arches; there is a similar arch at each end of the canopy. The moulded cornice is enriched with roses and square flowers, and is finished with a cresting of 'Tudor flowers.' The soffit has a richly panelled vault. The wall panel at the back has brasses and indents of brasses, partly cut away.
(ii) The old arms of the Merchant Taylors' Company. The inscription is a late addition. Part of the original inscription is given by Hatton. (fn. 2)
A handsome wall monument of two bays flanked by Corinthian columns resting on a deep panel and inscribed base of quadrant section and supporting an entablature and an enriched cartouche of arms. Each bay has a round arch with carved spandrels and tympanum with a shield of arms; below the arches are kneeling figures of a man and nine sons and his wife and seven daughters with a prayer desk in the middle. Beneath the curved base is a shaped apron with a round panel enclosing a lozenge of arms.
Within this Monvment lye the earthly parts of Ihon Robinson marchant of ye Staple of England free of ye copany of Marchant Talors, and sometymes Alderman of Londo', and Christian his wife eldest davghter of Tho: Anderson grocer they spent together 36 yeares in holy wedlock and were happy besides other worldly blessings in nyne sonnes and seaven davghters. She changed her mortall habitation for a heavenly on the 24 of Aprill. 1592. her hvsband following her on the 19 of February 1599. both mvch beloved in theire lives, and moare lamented at theire deathes especially by the poore to whome theire good deedes (being alive) begott many prayers and now (being dead) many teares: The glasse of his life held threescore and ten yeares, and then ran ovt. To live long and happy is an honor, bvt to dye happy a greater glory, boeth theis aspird to boeth heaven (no doubt) hath theire sovles, and this howse of stone theire bodyes where they sleepe in peace, till the som'ons of a gloriovs resvrrection wakens them.
A small painted wall monument upon the east wall of the nuns' quire; it is of two bays divided and flanked by Corinthian columns, resting on panelled and enriched pedestals and supporting an entablature on which is a centre-piece with an achievement of arms. Each bay has a round arch with carved spandrels and a mask at the apex; below the arches are kneeling figures of a man and four sons and wife and one daughter, with a prayer desk on each side of the middle column. Between the pedestals are inscribed panels.
To rvssia and mussova
To spayne gynny withovte fable
Traveld he by land and sea
Bothe mayre of London and staple
The commenwelthe he norished
So worthelie in all his daies
That ech state fvllwell him loved
To his perpetvall prayes
Three wyves he had one was mary
Fower svnes one mayde had he by her
Annys had none by him trvly
By dame mary had one dowghtier
Thvs in the month of september
A thowsande fyve hvnderd fyftey
And eyght died this worthie staplar
Worshipynge his posterytye
Beneath the first arch of the arcade between the nuns' quire and the parish quire is a large monument of marble, consisting of a panelled base supporting a moulded sarcophagus with a recumbent effigy in Elizabethan armour on a rush mattress. The canopy is in two bays with round arches and coffered soffits and is finished with an entablature, ball-finials and pierced cresting; the solid ends are panelled, as are the pilasters at the angles and between the bays. The canopy rests on three pairs of Corinthian columns supporting separate entablatures, and between the pairs of columns at the ends are panelled walls, each pierced by a round-headed opening with carved spandrels and transom. From the middle of the canopy rises a fluted pedestal supporting an elaborately carved circular cartouche with an achievement of arms on both faces. Round the monument is a wrought-iron rail with buttressed standards having twisted and ball-topped pinnacles. For inscription see No. 30.
At the east end of the north arcade adjoining the above-mentioned monument an inscribed tablet with a moulded border flanked by panelled pilasters bearing heads carved in relief, two to each pilaster. Above and below the tablet are a pair of scrolls separated above by a small square of coloured marble and below by a roundel, the whole supported by a pair of carved and moulded corbels.
Qviescit hic Gvlielmvs Pikeringvs pater,
eqvestris ordinis vir, miles mareschallvs.
qvi obiit xix Maii anno salvtis a Christo
Iacet hic etiam Gvlielmvs Pikeringvs filivs
miles, corporis animiq, bonis insigniter ornatvs
, literis excvltvs, et religioni sincervs. sex
lingvas exacte percallvit qvatvor principibvs
summa cvm lavde inservivit: Henrico scilicet
octavo militari virtute: Edwardo sexto
legatione Gallica: reginæ Mariæ negotiatione
Germanica: Elizabethæ principi omnivm
illvstrissimæ svmmis officiis devotissimvs.
obiit Londini in ædibvs Pikeringiis ætate
lviii. anno gratiae mdlxxiiii. Ianvarii
Cvivs memoriæ Thomas Henneagivs miles cameræ
regiæ thesavrarivs, Iohannes Astley armiger
iocalivm magister, Drvgo Drvreivs miles, et
Thomas Wottonvs armiger testamenti svi
execvtores, monvmentvm hoc posvere.
Above the tablet to William Pickering is another of slightly convex section with fruit and scroll-work, surmounted by a winged cherub's head and an urn with drapery beneath, the whole supported upon a corbel of slight projection with a shield carved upon it, but no arms.
IOHANNES STANDISH S.t.p.
pétriburgim Agro Northamp.
Natus Colleg. St. petri apud cantabrig'
Trigenta annos plus minus, socius
Rector de Therfeild in agro
Hartford. nec non Serenifs Reg
Carolo 2do et Jacobo 2do a sacris
Deposuit 2do calend.
Januar: Ann: Dom: milessmo.
Sccentifsmo. Octuagessmo. Sexto
Beneath the third arch of the arcade, between the nuns' quire and the parish nave, a small altar tomb with panelled sides bearing incised figures of children, two shields and a lozenge of arms, carved pilasters at the angles and slab forming the cornice of the entablature. It is enclosed within a plain wrought-iron railing. Monument repaired and restored 1868.
And H[e]ere alsoe lyeth the bodie of Magdalen Kirwin his wife by whome He had issve iii sonnes and ii davghters shee deceased the xxiiith. of Avgvs 1592 Ædibvs Atta Liois Londinvm qvi decoravi: Me dvce svrgebant alijs regalia tecta exigvam tribvvnt hanc mihi fata domv' me dvce conficitvr ossibvs vrna meis.
In a Vault in the Churchyard
Lyeth the Body
of ROBERT DINGLEY
Late of this Parish Jeweller.
As a Son a Husband and a Parent
With an uncommon Greatness of Mind
He dyed 30 March 1741. Aged 63.
In the same Vault resteth
SUSANNAH His Wife
Whose Virtue and Piety
She dyed 4 Oct. 1747. Aged 67.
They had 19 Children 6 Survived them
Rebecca Susanna Robert Charles
Catharine and Frances
This Monument was Erected
By their Son ROBERT
As an Instance
Of his Gratitude and Affection.
also to the Memory of
HENRY & REBECCA ELKIN,
Parents of the above named SUSA: DINGLEY
to the memory of
RICHARD JAMES, Son of
Richard and Hester James
of this City died 2nd. of Novr. 1800
aged 1 Year and 9 Months
THOMAS JAMES the second Son
died 12th. of June 1801
aged 1 Year and 1 Month
Of such is the kingdom of God.
Under the first arch of the arcade between the parish quire and the Chapel of the Holy Ghost, an altar tomb of Purbeck or Sussex Marble with a moulded slab and panelled sides with three panels on each side, divided by pairs of buttresses and one panel at each end, all elaborately cusped and bearing a shield of arms in the middle of each panel. Upon the slab are two recumbent effigies in alabaster, the man in armour with a cloak, thrown back, and a collar of suns and roses, and at his feet a griffon, the woman with a butterfly head-dress and elaborate necklace, her feet resting on two dogs.
The inscription on a brass fillet on the edge of the moulded slab has now entirely gone, but Hatton (fn. 3) records a portion of it, as remaining in 1708, and the full inscription is preserved by Weever: (fn. 4)
"Orate pro animabus Johannis Crosby Militis Ald. atque tempore vite Majoris Staple ville Caleis et Agnetis Uxoris sue ac Thome, Richardi, Johannis, Johannis, Margarete et Johanne liberorum ejusdem Johannis Crosby militis. Ille obiit 1475 et illa 1466 Quorum animabus propitietur Deus."
A large wall monument in two arched bays with panelled pilasters at the sides and a corbel in the middle; the spandrels and the tympana are carved and have two shields of arms; in the recesses are kneeling figures of a man and five sons and a woman with four daughters. The monument is flanked by Corinthian columns standing on an inscribed base of quadrant section and supporting an entablature with an achievement of arms within a circular cartouche, and ornamental strap-work. Above the cartouche is a cornice supporting the hull of a ship.
Here resteth the bodie of the
worshipfvl Richard staper electid
Alderman of this Cittye Anno 1594 hee
was the greatest merchant in his
tyme the cheifest Actor in Discoveri, of
the trades of tvrkey, and East
India, A man hvmble in Prosperity,
paynefvl and ever ready in the
affayres publiqve and discreetely
Carefvl of his private a liberal
howsekeeper, bowntifvl to the poore,
an vpright dealer in the world, and
a divovt aspirer after the world to
come Mvch blest in his prosperity, and
happy in his and their Allyavances. He
dyed the last Iune Anno domine 1608
Intravit vt exiret.
A very large and magnificent monument against the south wall of the nave, originally under the north arch of the south transept but removed to its present position in 1867. It consists of a panelled altar tomb on which are recumbent effigies of a man and wife, the former in armour with a long cloak and ruff. At the feet of the woman's figure is a kneeling figure of a daughter at prayer-desk and facing east. On either side of the tomb is a large obelisk with ball finial and spike and standing on a panelled pedestal. Behind the effigies is a wall canopy with two round arches with coffered soffits having cherub-head keystones and supporting an entablature with the cornice brought forward on four shaped brackets. The back of the arched recesses has carved enrichment, two inscribed tablets and two shields of arms and in the middle spandrel a cartouche of arms. Above the cornice is a centre-piece with carved pilasters and an achievement of arms; flanking the centre-piece are cartouches with shields of arms.
(iii) Quarterly, I, sable a leopard argent; 2, sable three roses argent; 3, azure a cheveron or between three falcons' heads razed or; 4, gules three pales or within a border or charged with roundels sable.
Hic sitvs est Ioannes Spencer
Eqves avratvs, civis, & senator
Londinensis, eivsdemq civitatis
prætor anno d'ni mdxciiii
qvi ex Alicia Bromfeldia
vxore vnicam reliqvit filiam
Elizabeth Gvilielmo Baroni
Compton envptam, obiit 3o
die martii anno salvtis mdcix
An inscription at the foot of the male effigy records the fact that the tomb originally stood in the northern arch of the south transept, and was removed to its present position, restored and repaired in 1867 by Charles, 3rd Marquis of Northampton.
H. S. E.
RICHARDUS BACKWELL ARMIGER
(edvardi backwell hujus olim
Civitatis Aldermanni Filius)
Heu ! maxime deflendus
patriæ admodum et amicis
(Haud æque sibi)
Obiit Aprilis die 26. a.d. 1731. Ætat. 67.
hoc marmor dicavit
A mural tablet resting upon a plain marble altar tomb and consisting of a plain tablet recessed at sides, flanked by scrolls of palm leaves and having a spreading moulded base; the architrave at the top slopes back in a bold cavetto to a heavily scalloped shelf supporting a large fluted urn.
Of Dame ABIGAIL LAWRENCE
Late Wife of Sr IOHN LAWRENCE Ktn & alderman heere Interred
was this tombe Erected
Shee was the tender Mother of ten Children
the nine first being all daughters
shee suckled at her owne breasts
They all liued to be of age
her last a son died an Infant
Shee liued a married wife thirty nine years
three and twenty whereof
Shee was an Exemplary matron of this Cittie
dying in the 59th. year of her age
being the 6 Iune
52. JOHN OTESWICH, late 14th century (formerly in St. Martin Outwich (fn. 5)).
Modern base with recumbent effigies in alabaster, the man in gown buttoned at neck and belted at waist, long anelace or short sword and undergarment with tight buttoned sleeves; woman in sideless coat-hardie, cloak and veiled head-dress; angels at heads of both figures, man's feet on lion, woman's feet on dog.
The inscription is modern. The old inscription had disappeared in Hatton's time (1708), but he records a coat-of-arms as then existing on the tomb—two bars with two molets (?) in chief and a scallop in base (fn. 6).
Arms: Quarterly, 1 and 4 azure a fess or between three ostrich feathers or with three choughs sable on the fess; 2 and 3 gules a cross botony or, each point of the cross charged with 3 scallops sable.
Filius Natu Maximus Fohannis Tufnell Arm.
Eximiœ Spei Adolescentulus
Formâ pariter et Ingenie prastans;
(Ineunte jam Sexto Ætatis Anno)
Et nimia Virtus
Et Fatorum Invidia (heu semper deflenda)
In Cœlum evexere
iv° Cal. Nov. A.D. MDCLXXXVI.
Durum . . . sed levius fit patientiâ,
Quicquid corrigere est Nefas
Near this place lies
the Body of
Thomas Clutterbuck late
of ye Parish of Kingstanly in ye
County of Gloucester Gent:
who died the 13th. May 1714
In the 26th. year of his Age
Here Lies ye Body of
Late Mercht. of London
who died 23d. January
1697 In the 63 year
of his Age
In a Vault contiguous to this
Pillar lyes Interred the Bodyes
of HANNAH the daughter of
Mr. John Stanley and Mary
the daughter of Mr. ALLYN SMITH
Both ye wives of Charles Goodman
late of this Parish Gent.
A large monument in the south transept, consisting of a plain inscribed base on which are two urns and a sarcophagus with a fluted top. On the sarcophagus is a pyramidal centre-piece with an achievement of arms and flanked by Ionic columns supporting entablatures with continuous cornice and finished with an urn and two burning lamps.
In a Vault near this place are Deposited the Remains of
Walter Bernard. Esqr
Alderman & late Sheriff of this City;
in both which Stations He acted to the General Satisfaction
of his Fellow Citizens,
He was a Sincere Christian,
a Faithfull Husband, a kind Master, and a true Friend
and as the whole Conduct of his Life
was agreeable to the principales of true Religion & Virtue
so his Death was universally Lamented
He dyed May the: 4: 1746 Aged: 51.
An inscribed tablet flanked by Corinthian pilasters with separate entablatures and an achievement of arms between them. Below the tablet is a moulded shelf with two corbels and a cartouche beneath it.
Near this place are interr'd
the Bodies of
Citizen of London
who died Decembr. 3d. 1700;
And of Eleanor his wife
who died Decembr 2d. 1694
And of Rebekah their only Child
who was married to
Beniamin Rokeby of London Mercht.
& had Issue by him one son
Langham Rokeby & two daughters
Rebekah & Elizabeth
she died December 21th. 1692
Non, nisi per mortem patet iter ad Astra
Benjamin Rokeby Esq
dyed the 3d. of February 1732/3 Aged 89
Quod Mortale erat GERVASH RERESBY
Antiquissima ejusdem nominis familiâ
Qui cum triginta plus annos in Hispania
fide indelibatâ summoque honore
In Angliam tandem
atque anima mente inconcussa
Hoc patri optimo
Filius posuit unicus
A large mural monument in two tiers, the upper consisting of an inscription-tablet recessed at sides, flanked by a pair of cherubs surmounted by an entablature, above which rises an urn upon a moulded base, flanked by swags of fruit and foliage and a pair of lamps. Beneath a heavy cabled shelf is a second inscription-tablet with capping and base moulding, flanked by wreaths and cherub-heads, and below a corbel enriched with a pair of cherub-heads, drapery with a pendant of fruit and flowers.
Charles Chambrelan Esq;
Alderman of this City;
in testimony of his true affection
and sorrow for their deaths
hath consecrated this Monument;
to the memory of his dearly beloved Wife
(the daughter of Sr. Jo: Lawrence Kt.
Lord Mayor of London, 1665.)
who dyed August the 21st 1687
soon after the delivery of her 10th. child.
and of his fourth Daughter Hester
who dyed the 9th. of June 1687,
at the Age of 6 Years 8 Months
Both whose Bodies are here deposited in a Vault
near this Place;
(belonging to his Ancestors,)
In expectation of a joyful Resurrection
at the last day.
who departed this Life Janry: 29th: 1704, Aged 65 Years:
having no where left behind him either a Merchant better accomplished;
or a Gentleman more compleatly adorn'd with all sorts of usefull Knowledge.