Survey of London: Volumes 29 and 30, St James Westminster, Part 1. Originally published by London County Council, London, 1960.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
Nos. 101–103 (consec.) Pall Mall
Between 1790 and 1836 these three buildings were occupied by John Crooke and Co., haberdashers and hosiers, (fn. 1) though the firm did not occupy all the premises for the whole of this period. No. 102 was situated at the rear of No. 101. (fn. 2) In 1790 (Sir) John Soane designed a shopfront for the firm (presumably at No. 103) and carried out various alterations to their premises in the same year. (fn. 3) The three houses were demolished in 1836–7 for the Reform Club. (fn. 4)
Coney's elevation (pocket, drawing B) shows that No. 103 had a modest three-storeyed front of about 1700, or earlier, with three widely spaced windows in each upper storey. The shop-front could well be the one designed by Soane in 1790, with segmental bows flanking the door. No. 101 was a plain house, slightly narrower than its neighbour on the east, four storeys high and three windows wide, with no features of note other than an enriched Doric doorcase.