Survey of London: Volumes 29 and 30, St James Westminster, Part 1. Originally published by London County Council, London, 1960.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
Nos. 92–93 Pall Mall: The Royal Hotel
From 1767 to 1777 the house later numbered 93 was occupied by the Hon. Thomas Fitzmaurice, (fn. 1) who in 1779 and from 1781 to 1787 occupied the house later numbered 105 Pall Mall. Coney (pocket, drawing B) shows a Palladian house-front of four storeys, three windows wide. A verandah, with slender iron columns and segmental arches, supported a balcony at first-floor level. The middle first-floor window was dressed with architrave, frieze and triangular pediment, and above the second-floor windows was a large triangular pediment, its apex breaking into the arched middle window of the top, or attic storey.
In 1777–8 the Royal Hotel was established at the houses later numbered 92–93; the proprietor was James Weston. (fn. 1) The hotel was described in 1815 as 'an extensive establishment for the reception and accommodation of gentlemen and families of distinction'. (fn. 2) In 1809 Weston became bankrupt, and in the following year he gave up the easterly house (No. 93); he remained proprietor of the hotel until his death in 1816. (fn. 3)
In 1810–11 No. 93 was occupied by F. A. Winsor, the pioneer of gas lighting (see below), and from 1819 by R. H. Evans, the bookseller and auctioneer, who had previously had premises on the north side of the street. (fn. 4) No. 92 was occupied after 1818 by Messrs. Mott, pianoforte manufacturers. (fn. 5) Both houses were demolished in c. 1846 to make way for the western extension of the Carlton Club.