Survey of London: Volumes 33 and 34, St Anne Soho. Originally published by London County Council, London, 1966.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
No. 35 Soho Square
What is known of the early history of this house has been described above with that of Nos. 33–34. Early inhabitants included Lord Livenberg, c. 1691–2; Sir John Huband or Hughband, 1694– 1710, and Gabriel Roberts, M.P., formerly governor of Fort William, Calcutta, 1712–33. In 1734–5 this house and the adjoining No. 34 were probably renovated or partially rebuilt by Captain Edmund Strudwick, who lived at No. 35 from 1735 to 1737. Later inhabitants included the Hon. Mrs. Verney, 1743–56; Sir Philip Musgrave, sixth baronet, M.P., 1766–83 and (Sir) James Duberley, 1788–1809. The house was used as the recruiting office for the military service of the East India Company from 1817 to 1833, when the office was removed to No. 28. (fn. 1)
A photograph of Nos. 34 and 35 is reproduced on Plate 93a. The existing office building on this site was erected in 1955–6 to the designs of Leslie Norton, (fn. 2) who followed the general lines of his earlier building next door at Nos. 33–34 (fig. 3).