Survey of London: Volumes 33 and 34, St Anne Soho. Originally published by London County Council, London, 1966.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
Sutton Row is marked on Ogilby and Morgan's map of 1681–2 (Plate 2) as Giles Street, but until 1938 was usually known as Sutton Street. It first appears in the ratebooks in 1691, and probably takes its name from Sutton Court, Chiswick, the country house of Thomas, first Earl Fauconberg, (fn. 1) who lived at the adjoining No. 20 Soho Square from at least 1683 until his death in 1700. A mews on the north side of Sutton Row, now called Falconberg Mews but previously Bow Street, Sutton Place or Falconbridge or Falconer Court, serves the backs of Nos. 18–21 Soho Square and from this mews there is a narrow alley, now Falconberg Court, which leads into Charing Cross Road (formerly Crown Street or Hog Lane). Both the mews and the alley are mentioned by Strype, writing in 1720, who refers to the alley as Tucker's Court. (fn. 2)