Survey of London: Volumes 33 and 34, St Anne Soho. Originally published by London County Council, London, 1966.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
No. 79 Dean Street
For the building of this house see the table on page 250. Throughout the eighteenth century the ratepayers changed frequently. The address of R. W. Backhouse, architect, is given here in 1806 and 1811, and of William Pickman, sculptor, in 1825–33. (fn. 1) Like No. 78, the house is of conventional design, its plan mirroring that of its neighbour to the south. The front, three windows wide, has been altered in the ground storey by the insertion of a shop front and the replacement of the original doorcase by one of mid-Victorian character in stucco. A fourth storey has replaced the original mansard garret (Plate 112c).