Survey of London: Volumes 33 and 34, St Anne Soho. Originally published by London County Council, London, 1966.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
No. 11 Soho Square
The first known occupant of this house was Lady Carew, possibly the widow of Sir Henry Carew, second baronet; she lived here from at least 1691 to 1707. (fn. 1) The house was renovated and improved in 1735–6 by William Winchester of St. Anne's, glazier, to whom a new lease of the existing building (and of three small houses behind it, on the west side of Soho, then Charles, Street) was granted by the Duchess of Portland in May 1734. Winchester may have rebuilt the smaller houses but probably made only superficial changes to the house in Soho Square, which remained comparatively little altered until the early years of the twentieth century. (fn. 2)
Other inhabitants include Owen Salusbury Brereton, M.P. and Vice-President of the Society of Arts, who later lived at No. 9, 1756– 1766; J. Schwieso, harp manufacturer (later at No. 14), 1820–1, and Messrs. Williams and Gosjean, also harp manufacturers, 1822–50. (fn. 1)
The present building is of six storeys with undistinguished elevations of Portland stone.