Survey of London: Volumes 33 and 34, St Anne Soho. Originally published by London County Council, London, 1966.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
The history of the erection of these buildings has been described above. Except for Nos. 9, 10 and 11, at the south end of the west side, the small houses built in 1773–4 have been demolished. The survivors are uniform in having plain fronts, each house being three storeys high above a cellar basement, and two windows wide. The windows are recessed in plain openings, having stone sills, thinly stuccoed reveals, and flat arches of gauged bricks matching the 'grey' stocks of the wall face. This is dressed with a stone bandcourse at first-floor level, and a narrow coping to the parapet. The doors, paired at Nos. 9 and 10, are recessed in semi-circular-headed openings, with brick arches rising from plain stone imposts, set in a slightly projecting face finished by the bandcourse, here decorated with a simple cornice. The interiors are much altered and now used for storage purposes.