Survey of London: Volumes 33 and 34, St Anne Soho. Originally published by London County Council, London, 1966.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
No. 18 Soho Square
Madam Lucy was living here in 1691. Other inhabitants include Dr. Cotesworth, 1711–14; James Hamilton, Lord Paisley, later seventh Earlx of Abercorn, scientist, 1716–22, and William Churchill, formerly M.P. for Ipswich, 1723–8, (fn. 1) to whom in 1725 both Nos. 18 and 19 were leased by the first Duke of Portland for a reversionary term of thirty-five years from 1734. (fn. 2) In 1729 Churchill removed to No. 19 and lived there until his death in 1737. (fn. 1) Shortly afterwards his executors sold the lease of No. 18 for £515. (fn. 3) Later occupants include Charles Molloy, journalist and dramatist, who died in the house, 1754–67; Baron Charles de Montesquieu, 1798–9; H. W. Pickersgill, artist, from at least 1822 and possibly from 1817 to 1850, and Messrs. Crosse and Blackwell, 1884–1920. (fn. 1)
The present fabric appears to be an entirely commonplace mid nineteenth-century structure (fig. 5).