Thoroton's History of Nottinghamshire: Volume 1, Republished With Large Additions By John Throsby. Originally published by J Throsby, Nottingham, 1790.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
Upper or Over BROUGHTON.
In Broton Algar, the Earl (of Leicester) had a Manor, which paid the Tax for two Car. The Land of it was sufficient for seven Plows or seven Car. There after the Change, King William had two Car. and twenty-three Vill. and four Bord. having (fn. 1) seven Car. and one Mill, 5s. and one Hundred Acres of Meadow. In the Confessor's Time, when a former Survey was made, this was 3l. Value, but when the Conqueror's was returned 4l. Thorpe was a Berew, belonging to this Manor (as in that Place is noted) which together with this Town, went from the Crown to the Earl or Chester, and so to Albini, Earl of Arundel.
(fn. 2) Brostton was the Land of Aluredus de Suleni, a certain Norman, and seised into the King's Hand, but the King restored it to the Earl of Chester, because that Knight held it of him, and the Mother of the Earl held in Dower; it was then a Knight's Fee; and in another Place is said to be held by Alured de Sulleney, of the Earl of Arundel, of the old Feoffment.
The King, 36 H. 3, pardoned Alured de Sullyny, (fn. 3) who had to Wife Sibyll, the Daughter and Heir of John de Braytoft, 11l. which was the Arrearages of a 30l. in Lincolnshire, whereof John de Braytoft had been one of the Collectors. This Sibyll was Wife of Roger de Cressi, of Hodsak, and last of all of Adam de St. Lo, as in Clifton may be observed, who held some Lands here in Dower of John, Son of Aluredus de Soleni's Inheritance, when he passed it to Sir Gervas de Clifton, about the Beginning of the Reign of Edward the First, with whose Posterity it continued till the last Sir Gervase Clifton, Knight and Baronet, was persuaded to sell it, (fn. 4) which he oft repented himself of, being so long in his Family, and he not necessiated, as he hath several Times told me himself; so that the Advowson of the Church is all that remains of it to his Posterity. (fn. 5) It is commonly called Broughton-Sulney, from the antient Owners, whose Seals were quarterly —it is also thereby distinguished from Nether-Broughton, in Leicestershire, which is by it.
The Rectory was twenty marks. It is now 11l. 9s. 4d. ob. in the King's Books, and Sir G. Clifton Patron.
LORDSHIP was inclosed about thirty years ago. Principal land-owner—Muxley, Esq. and Mr. Cross, exclusive of the incumbent. It contains about 2000 acres.
The village consists of about 50 dwellings; and stands at the edge of the county, within 14 miles of Nottingham, and 7 from Melton-Mowbray.
The church has a nave and side-aisle, a low tower steeple, with 3 bells; the walls want a little cleaning of filth. Against one of which there are 2 stones to remember the Bretts, and others on the floor for the same family.
Patron, Sir Gervas Clifton, Bart. Incumbent, Rev. Mr. Dawson. King's Books 11l. 9s. 4½d. Yearly tenths 1l. 2s. 11¼d. Archiepisc. pro Syn. 4s. Prox 6s. 8d. Val. in mans. cum glem. ibidem per ann. 1l. 10s. decim. garb. &c. Sir Gervas Clifton, Bart. 1689. Sir Robert Clifton, Bart. 1727. William Ratcliffe, Esq. 1736. 1767.