Thoroton's History of Nottinghamshire: Volume 1, Republished With Large Additions By John Throsby. Originally published by J Throsby, Nottingham, 1790.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
Part with Orston.
Of the Land of Edward the Confessor, the ancient Demesne of the Crown, it was discharged to the publick Payments for seven Bovats, and three Acres. The Land was then three Car. (fn. 1) There after the Conquest King William had ten Sochm. three Bord. to three Car. and sixty Acres of Medow.
(fn. 2) Alexander Bishop of Lincoln, in the Year of our Lord 1139, founded a Priory in the Isle of Hafreholm, and gave Satisfaction to Raph Halselin, and Robert de Calz (Lords of Shelford,) for their Part of that Place; to which Priory of Haverholme in the County of Lincoln, did this Part of Staunton (which lies in Newark Hundred, but is ever charged with Orston in Bingham Hundred) belong.
(fn. 3) There was an Agreement, 23 H. 3. made in the Church of St. Mary Magdalen of Newark, on St. Lawrence Day, before Sir Hugh Picot, Sir Ranulf Morin, Sir Galsr. de Stoke, Sir Robert Vavasor, Sir Henry Thuke, Knights, Warner de Eugaine, Alan de Cranewelle, Fulc de Houtoft, and others, between the Prior and Convent of Haverholm on the one Part, and Galsr. Son of William de Staunton, on the other Part, concerning each Parties having their Bull free every where in the Fields and Meadows of Staunton, so as he was not put in the Plow, or any other Work during his going there, and that each Part might dispose of the Heads of their Lands (called their Chevez, now Hades) as they pleased.
(fn. 4) The Priory got the Fishing in Smite and Devene, and view of Frank-pledge, and a Court Baron too, and had many Suitors in Thoroton, and other adjacent Towns.
Sir Thomas Tresham, Knight, and George Tresham, Gent. 5 E. 6. passed this Manor to Thomas Gravesend, and Bartholomew Garewey, of London, Gent. who Feb. 20. 6 E. 6. conveyed it to Jereme Brand, who married Brigit, the Daughter of Anthony Staunton, Esquire, and by her had Robert Brand, who sold it about the 28 Eliz. to his Cousin William Staunton, Esquire, and Elizabeth his Wife, for 1200l. whom it made intire Lord of the whole Town, which enabled his Posterity the better to inclose and sell, as they have done some Part to William Cartwright, but some of it yet remains to Harvey Staunton, Esq. the present Owner, great Grandchild and Heir of the said William Staunton.
The Tythes of this Part belong with the rest of the Rectory of Orston, to the Church of Lincolne, and the Dean and Chapter find a Curat to officiate in a Chapel which stands in the Church-yard of Staunton, whither the Inhabitants which hold this Land resort, as being of Orston Parish. Harvey Staunton, Esquire, is Lessee to the Dean and Chapter also.
end of bingham hundred.