Thoroton's History of Nottinghamshire: Volume 2, Republished With Large Additions By John Throsby. Originally published by J Throsby, Nottingham, 1790.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
The principal Mannor in this town, before the Norman Invasion, was Verebrands, who paid the Danegeld for it as one Carucat and an half. The land was then found to be twelve bovats. Afterwards it became the fee of William Ostiarius, mentioned in Bramcote, who had here one Car. six Villains, with four Car. Here was a Priest, and half a Church, and six Acres of Meadow. (fn. 1) This was valued in the Confessours time at 100s. but in the Conquerours, when Doomsd. Book was made, at 20s. Here were, of the land of the Taynes, three Mannors more, each of them answering the tax for half a carucat: one of them was Ulchels, the land whereof was four bovats, and waste; after the Conquest Alden had it, there was meadow two Acres. This Mannor had been 10s. but in the time of the survey, 14 W. 1. was but 5s. 4d. value. Another Mannor Aluric had, the land whereof was also four bovats, who still continued and held it of King William the Conquerour, and had there three Vill. with two Car. and two Acre of Meadow. This kept still the old value of 9s. The other Mannor Uluric had. The land of which was half a Car. when the Conquerour made his Survey; Eruvin had one Bord. one Vill. with one Car. and two Acres of Meadow; in the Confessours time this was valued at 10s. then 5s. 4d. There lay one Bov. of Land Soc, which was waste.
(fn. 2) It seemeth that William Ostiarius his interest came to Mortimer, of whom held Philip de Kyme, and under him the family of Trowell, named in Stanford-on-Sore.— Richard de Trowell paid for a knights fee here, in the former part of the reign of H. 3. (fn. 3) William son of Richard de Trowell gave to God, and the Church of St. Mary in Stanley Park (called Dale Abby) and the Canons of the Order of the Præmonstratenses there serving God, all the lands, and the rents of them which Richard his father held in Trouwelle; which the homages and services of the Tenants, and with the woods of Estlound, and Broxhale; and with the right of the Patronage of the moyety of the Church, which was known to belong unto him. Richard de Trowell gave them 3s. rent, which he was wont to receive of William de Stanley, for two bovats which he held of him in Trowall; and he likewise gave them towards their Pitance, the homage and service of (fn. 4) Hugh, son of Thomas de Corsale, with the yearly rent of 7s. which he was wont to receive of him, for land which he held of him in Corsale, which he bought of Stephen Grenehod. William son of Raph de Trowelle gave them the homage, and whole service of Hugh Balok of Trowell and his heirs, and the rent of 11s. yearly; which the said Hugh paid for four bovats of land in Trowelle, for which Sir Robert de Esseburne gave him seven marks in a gross-sum, and by the consent of the Abbot and Covent the 11s. rent was returned to the Sacrist, of Stanly Parc, to buy wine for celebrating the Euchrist in that Church for ever.
(fn. 5) The other Mannors of the Tayns William Pevrel got, and so they were escheated to that Crown, and were held by the Nuns of Sempringham, the family of Brunnesley, and the family of Strelley.
(fn. 6) Robert, son of Walter de Stretleg, for the health of his soul, and of all his Ancestors, and Successors, but especially for the soul of William de Dyve, gave to the said Monastery of Dale or Stanly Parc, three bovats of land, with the appurtenances in Trowelle; one which Thomas son of Galsr. le Ryver held in villenage with him the said Thomas, and all his Cattel and his whole sequell, and two more which Letice the widow of Robert son of Henry held in like manner, with all her cattel and her whole sequell, from the time of making that writing to be begotten. And likewife all the Meadow which Robert le Vavasor had of the gift of Walter de Halum, in Kirk Halum Parc, for the sustentation of one Canon daily celebrating Mass, in the said house of the Parc, for the soul of the said William de Dyva, in Sutton-upon-Sore; and for the souls of all the faithful departed. Strelleys Mannor descended to the family of Poutrell, by Margaret, one of the daughters and co-heirs of John Strelley, and in the year 1612, was John Poutrells, esquire.
There was a fine, 20 H. 3. between Robert de Brunnesley Quer. and William de Stanley Imped. concerning two bovats of land in Trowell, with the appurtenances, the right of the said Robert de Brunesley, paying yearly a pair of white gloves, and doing a foreign service.
(fn. 7) Robert Broun of Brunnesley, and Joane his wife (who was daughter and heir of John, son of Robert, son of Galfr. son of Roger, son of Gilbert de Brunnesley, who held it in the time of H. 3.) levied a fine, 8 H. 6. of the Mannor of Trowell, one Mill, thirty acres of Land in Brunnesley, and Trowell, and the moiety of the Advowson of the Church of Trowell, to John Cockfeild, esquire; John Curson, esquire; Thomas Makworth, esquire; John son of Henry Bothe, esquire; and Robert Oelage of Brunnesley. This Brounes posterity probably were called Brunnesleys, after their mother, as hath been very usual, for this Mannor descended to Francis Brunsley, as appears by an office taken at Nottingham, 15 March, 39 Eliz. after his death, whose son Gervase Brunsley, esquire, sold it to John Hacker, gent. with whose posterity it continues.
The rents of Assize of the Freeholders, viz. 14s. 11s. per annum, three Mess. one Bov. and Trowell Mill, with the waters and fishing belonging to it, &c. formerly belonging to the Monastery of Dale, amongst other things, 21 July, 10 Eliz. (fn. 8) were granted to Percivall Bowes and John Moysier, gent. and the moiety or purpart of the Mannor of Trowell, demised before to William Cox, for 6l. per annum: (fn. 9) together with the right of Patronage of the Rectory of Trowell, sometimes belonging to the Priory of Sempringham, 9 July, 16 Eliz. were granted to Drugo Drurie, esquire, and Richard Downing. These Monastery lands Sir Percivall Willoughby of Wollaton had.
(fn. 10) The Rectories of each moyety of Trowell were x Marks a piece, when the Prior of Sempringham, and Mr. Cockfeild (for Brunnesleys) were Patrons. They are now 4l. 14s. 6d. a piece in the King's Books; and Sir Francis Willoughby, and William Hacker, gent. Patrons.
The Arms of Brunnesleys, viz. Quarterly per quartered Chevron between three Escallops Or, and Sable Counterchanged, are in the windows of the Church, and East window in the Chancel, under which is Robertus Brinsley partronus istitus Ecclesiæ.
Hic infra jacet sepultus Gulielmus Hacker, Generosus, unius in hac parochia medietatis Patronus, vir omni literarum genere instructus, filius Ecclesiæ Anglicanæ obedientissimus, necnon servidus Christianæ sidei prosessor, quam sidem parivitæ sanctimonia, eleemosynis assiduis, in familia precibus et sedulo ad verbum dei attendendo egregie ostendit & ornavit, Trowelli dum vixit Lumen & Columen, obdormivit in domino Decemb. die 21. Anno salutis 1668. Ætatis suæ 64. In cujus piam memoriam Johannes Hacker filius, quam unicam prolem unica & delestissima ejus Conjex Anna Thomæ Gilberti de Lockoe in Agro Derbiensi Armig. filia natu maxima ibi peperit, monumentum hoc effingendum curavit.
The Church is dedicated to St. Helen, has a noble tower with six bells, newly cast; before there were only three. This place of worship, which, within, ranks with the indifferent, has a nave and side aisles. Here is an old capacious font. The chancel, which has many fragments of painted glass, in the windows, is not kept clean. The figures there were many, and at whole length, but their heads or eyes are gone, broken and beat out; doubtless, in the puritanic times, when men were employed to demolish these harmless representations of Saints, &c. A label from the hand of one figure is engraven, page 243, fig. 6. Vol. I. There are parts of other labels or inscriptions, but, I think, none entire.
In continuation of the Additions to TROWELL, omitted in the last page, I observe, that the Monument for William Hacker, mentioned by I horoton, in Trowell church, is still there. In this place was buried, about ten years since, at the advanced age of one hundred years, Michael Blunston. The stalls and water-stock, near the altar, still remain.
First Mediety, K. B. 4l. 14s. 4d. halfpenny. Clear yearly value, 40l. Archiepisc. pro. Syn. 2s. Archidiac pro prox. 3s. 4d. Rect. hab. mans. & 2 virg. ter. qu. val. per ann. 1l. 10s. un. mess. & 3 acr. in Cossalls 8s. dec. &c. Sir Thomas Willoughby, Bart. in 1709. Lord Middleton, 1724, 1766.
Second Mediety, R. K. B. 4l. 14s. 4d. halfpenny. Clear yearly value 45l. Archiepisc. pro Syn. 2s. Archidiac. pro prox. 3s. 4d. Rect. hab. mans. cum 2 bov. ter. ann. val. 1l. 6s. 8d. dec. garb. &c. Patron John Hacker, gent. 1674, 1719. Elizab. Hacker, 1746, 1753.