Thoroton's History of Nottinghamshire: Volume 2, Republished With Large Additions By John Throsby. Originally published by J Throsby, Nottingham, 1790.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
The Wood of Baseford, which was John de Cokefeuds, and Robert de Orrebyes, 15 E. 1, (fn. 1) was found wholly wasted, and had been so of old. John, son of Robert de Orreby, and John Cokfeld had taken 2s. 6d. a year, for five and twenty years last past, and appropriated the Wood to themselves without warrant, and therefore were amerced.
(fn. 2) Hugh de Nottingham, Clark, 25 E. 1, had Lands in Nottingham called Cornerwong, confirmed to him and his heirs by bounds, &c.
(fn. 3) In 31 E. 3, it was found that John Montgomery, then died, made one essart of old, besides the Kings Wood of Nottingham, that was called Cornerwong, and it contained thirty acres of ground, and was sown since the last regard.
The heirs of Alace Palmer held one essart of old called Basfordwong, containing 20 acres, William Eland was then tenant, viz. some while after 31 E. 3, about which time that essart was thought to be made. Adam Palmer made one essart of old of five acres, and one rood of the Kings demesne at Algerthorp; of this Wm. Eland was also tenant.
In the time of Richard the second, Thomas Mapurley was a considerable man at Nottingham: (fn. 4) on his Seal was a Bend between six Crosse Croslet. He or his posterity became possessed of the chiefest part of these grounds, which was the occasion of they being called Maperleys Closes; and since there being a cottage-house or two, and some odd barns erected, it goes for a small Hamlet called Mapurley.
(fn. 5) John Mapurley, Esquire, 3 H. 8, (then living at Bullwell) suffered a recovery of two hundred acres of Land in Basford called Cornerwong, with the appurtenances, to Thomas Archer, and John Byron, Esqure. John Byron, and John Byron his son, (fn. 6) 1 March, 1609, for the consideration of 100l. alienated the premises to Robert Staples of Nottingham, together with a cottage or tenement, and barns thereto belonging. Robert Staples, and Maud his wife, 1612, settled, in consideration of marriage, Cornerswong, or Mapurly Closes, containing sixty acres, with one cottage, &c. on Alexander Staples, and Joane his wife, and the heirs of their two bodies; and in default thereof on Alexander and his heirs.
(fn. 7) Robert Querneby of Nottingham, son and heir of Elizabeth, wife of Humfrey Quarneby, daughter and heir of Robert Mellors, and Julian his wife (daughter I suppose, and at length) heir of John Mapurley by his deed dated 14 Decemb. 31 Elizab. in consideration of marriage, which had been before that time solmnized between Thomas Blyth, one of the younger sons of William Blithe, and Mary, one of the daughters and heirs of him the said Robert Querneby, settled on George Beardmore, and William Monk, and their heirs, certain Lands and Tenements in Nottingham, and five Closes in the Lordship or Parish of Basford, in trust for himself and his heirs. His other daughter and heir Elizabeth, was married to John Kyme, as in Nottingham will be shown.
(fn. 8) In the third year of King Charles the first, 11 Apr. 1627, Thomas Blyth the elder, and Mary his wife, and Thomas Blyth the younger, and Magdalen, in consideration of 500l. sold to Robert Staples, and his heirs, five Closes in Cornerwong, or Maperley. On the Seals of Blyth are a Chevron between three Lioncells Rampant, and upon some for a Crest, a Lion passant on the top a Tower. These are called Nether, or Lower Maperley, and are now with the other also, the Inheritance and possessions of Samuel Staples, who I think had them, for names-sake, settled on him or his father by the purchaser Robert Staples, in whose house in Nottingham the said Samuel now lives, and hath rebuilt part of it of brick and stone, which before was but like the rest, of wood. And hath also since that built a little brick house at this Mapurley.
A hamlet. Mr. Wright, Banker, Nottingham, has lately taken in an extensive portion of the forest, as a proprietor of some old enclosure here; on which he has just built a good house, which by the appearance of the new plantations about it, promises, in a few years, to be a pleasing embellishment to the Mansfield and Southwell road.