Thoroton's History of Nottinghamshire: Volume 3, Republished With Large Additions By John Throsby. Originally published by J Throsby, Nottingham, 1796.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
Now followeth Hatfeild Division of this great Wapentac of Bersetlow, which is that which lyeth on the west side of the river Idle; and as the South and North Clay Divisions, which lie on the east side, have ever been famous for plenty of corn, so this for woods and pleasant waters, insomuch that in it alone have been founded well nigh as many monasteries as in the whole county besides, for in it were abbies of Rufford, and Wellbeck, the priories of Wirkesop, Wallingwelles, Blyth, and Mattersey, which are not far short of all the rest, as by this catalogue of their values taken before that of the 26 H. 8, (fn. 1) may appear, wherein Lenton is 620l. per ann. Thurgarton 350l. Shelford 200l. Newstede 240l. Felley 44l. Beauvale 200l. Brodholme 10l. Rufford 220l. Welbeck 300l. Worksop 240l. Wallingwelles 78l. Blyth 107l. and Mathersey 50l. per annum.