Thoroton's History of Nottinghamshire: Volume 3, Republished With Large Additions By John Throsby. Originally published by J Throsby, Nottingham, 1796.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
This town seems part of East-Retford, being only divided by the river Idel. It was of the fee of Roger de Busli, and in Doomsday book is joyned with Odesthorp, which is now unknown. There was soc to Clumber in Odesthorp and Retford, one bov. ½. ad geldam. The land four bovats—the Soc in Clumber was waste. There was foc to Westurne, half a bov. ad geldam. The land four bov. There was one villain, one fourth of a mill, and four acres of medow. (fn. 1) But of the Tayn-land Vlmer had two bov. ½. ad geldam in his manor. The land one car. There was in demesne one car. and half a mill 4s. and ten acres of medow. In the Confessours time this was valued at 40s. in the Conquerours but at 4s. Robert de Mortayne, 4 E. 1, (fn. 2) by concord in a plea for common grant to John de Beringworth, parson of the moyety of the church of West-Retford and his successours, common of pasture in his pasture of West-Retford, with all manor of his animals in all places as freely as himself and predecessours ever had. Robert de Hayton (as in that place is noted) held some lands here.
(fn. 3) The jury, 26 E. 1, found that Thomas de Maresey lord of Gameleston held in West-Retford eight bovats freely for 6s. per annum.
This place for the most part went with Weston and Grove, as in those places may be observed, until the last Sir John Hercyes, disposition of that estate, who, it seems, caused this manor to be settled on his sister Anne, the wife of Nicolas Denman.
I find Edward Darrell, son of Sir Thomas married Barbara, daughter and co-heir of Francis Denman, who, in the year 1614, had by her three sons, 1, Thomas then aged sixteen years, 2, Brian, and 3, Edward. (fn. 4)
(fn. 5) In 1612, these were owners in West-Retford, Edward Dorrell, gent.—Podge, gent. Philip Collye, Thomas Lincolne, Isabel Sloswick, John Colbye of Sutton; Robert Gellande, George Tompson, Thomas Merebeck, William Booth, William Tomson, Thomas Gellande, widow Jenyver, Richard Ellis.
(fn. 6) The rectory of West-Retford was twenty marks when Mr. Hersey was patron: 'Tis now 9l. 13s. 4d. value in the Kings books, and John Dorrell, esqnire, the last patron.
Dr.—Darrell hath given his estate here to found an hospital, which, since his death, is built where the manor stood, for a Master—.