Thoroton's History of Nottinghamshire: Volume 3, Republished With Large Additions By John Throsby. Originally published by J Throsby, Nottingham, 1796.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
Walesby was with Kirketon, or Schidrintune, and Wilgebi, of several fees, as in that place may be seen, viz. some of it the kings land, with Wilgebi, Soc to Grymeston; some Roger de Buslies, (fn. 1) Soc to Tuxserne; some Goisfrid de Halselins, Soc to Laxinton. In Walesby two bov. ad geldam. The land four bov. There two sochm. had one car. Some of the fee of Roger Pictavensis, Soc to Hoctune, half a bov. ad geld. The land four bov. In the Conquerours time waste, Soc.
In Kirkton and several other places may be discovered how this place in part was disposed of amongst others.
(fn. 2) Reginald Vrsell gave to the monks of Rufford in pure alms the service which Robert de Lexington was wont to do him, for one bovat of land which he held of him in Walesby, viz. a pair of spurs of iron, or 2d. yearly, with all reliefs, wards, eschaets, &c.
(fn. 3) William Lancelene gave to William, son of Eudo de Hibaldestan, with Cecilia his daughter in frank-marriage, and their heirs, one bovat of land in Walesbi, with the houses and men, who held the land, with all their children and cattel, &c.
(fn. 4) Raph de Wadeland in Walesby, gave to the monks of Rufford, the whole service which John de la Chause of Walesby, William his brother, William, son of Henry, Nicholas his brother, Robert D'aubeney, and Richard, son of Philip, ought him for their lands and tenements they held of him in Walesby, with homage, wards, reliefs, rents, suits of court, &c. Several others gave to that monastery, which made it the most considerable owner, and with it at the dissolution did all these lands pass to the earl of Shrowsbury, as in Rufford may be observed.
(fn. 5) The jury, 26 E. 1, said that Richard, son of Marion de Walesby, held in Walesby six bovats freely for 3s. 9d. per annum, of Thomas de Maresey lord of Gamelston; some also went with Houghton to Lungvilers, as in Tuxford may be seen.
(fn. 6) The church or rather chapelry was as part of the chapelry of Blyth, given by king John to Walter arch-bishop of Roan and his succeessours, and the canons in that church. It continued a member of the free chapel of Tikhill, as in Lowdham, and East Markham, &c. may be guessed
(fn. 7) William Davenport of Brome Hall, esquire, in 1 H. 8, claimed against Will. Bradborne one mess. eighty acres of land, twenty of meadow, sixty of pasture, twenty of wood, 3s. 10d. rent, with the appurtenances in Walesby, Wellawe, and Kyrton.
(fn. 8) William Mason, and Owen Shipley, 9 Eliz. claimed against William Ingham two mess. two tofts, two gardens, fifty acres of land, &c. in Walesby and Willughby, who called Robert Markham, esquire.
(fn. 9) The vicarage of Walesby was 8l. when the abbat of Westminster was patron:— 'Tis now 6l. 1s. 3d. value in the kings books, and the lord viscount Hallifax patron.
Walesby, is owned, principally, by the duke of Newcastle, the hon. Lumley Savile, and Mr. Knight. Walesby is tolerably sized village, situate about an equal distance from Ollerton and Tuxford, a ride of four miles.
The church is set off with a tower; in it nothing of high antiquity, or of family importance. It is dedicated to St. Edmund. A vicarage, called in Liber Regis.
Patron, Sir Savile, bart. in 1782. Incumbent, rev. George Holt. K. B. 6l. 1s. 3d. Archiepisc. pro Syn. 2s. Archidiac. pro Prox. 6s. 8d. Val. in mans. cum terr. gleb. per ann. 1l. 6s. 8d. in decim. Ian. agn. &c. Abb. Westminster Propr. and Patr. Lord Halifax presented in 1675, Sir George Savile in 1720, 1760, 1782.