A Topographical Dictionary of England. Originally published by S Lewis, London, 1848.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
EDGBOLTON, a township, in the parish of Shawbury, union of Wem, Whitchurch division of the hun dred of North Bradford, N. division of the county of Salop, 8 miles (N. E. by N.) from Shrewsbury; containing 199 inhabitants.
Edgcot (St. James)
EDGCOT (St. James), a parish, in the union of Brackley, hundred of Chipping-Warden, S. division of the county of Northampton, 6¼ miles (N. E. by N.) from Banbury; containing 83 inhabitants. The parish comprises 1340 acres, of which about 1060 are pasture, and 230 arable land; it is bounded on the south-east by a portion of Oxfordshire. In a vale called Danesmoor, south of the village, a battle was fought between the Saxons and the Danes; and in the time of Edward IV. a conflict took place between the houses of York and Lancaster, when, the former being defeated, the Earl of Pembroke and his two brothers were made prisoners, and beheaded at Banbury. In 1642, Charles I., with his two sons, and a part of his army encamped here previously to the battle of Edge-Hill, and returned the following day: the bed in which the king slept is preserved in the present manor-house, a handsome stone edifice in a secluded situation. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £12, and in the patronage of Miss Carter; net income, £300. The church adjoins the manor-house, and consists of a nave, south aisle and porch, and chancel, with a tower entered under a beautiful crocketed ogee arch. This edifice is remarkable for its Domus inclusa, still in entire preservation, approached by a door on the north side of the chancel, and containing a room on the ground floor, and a dormitory above: it is now used as a vestry. In the church are some interesting monuments of the Chauncy family, formerly lords of the manor. The churchyard is divided from the lawn of the mansion by an invisible fence.
EDGE, a township, in the parish of Malpas, union of Great Boughton, higher division of the hundred of Broxton, S. division of the county of Chester, 3 miles (N. by E.) from Malpas; containing 313 inhabitants, and comprising 1407 acres of land. The tithes have been commuted for £125 payable to the impropriator, and £7. 5. 10. to the rector of the parish.
Edgecott (St. Michael)
EDGECOTT (St. Michael), a parish, in the union, hundred, and county of Buckingham, 6 miles (S. W. by W.) from Winslow; containing 195 inhabitants. It is situated on a cross road between Buckingham and Thame, and comprises by measurement 1100 acres, of which less than a third are arable. Lace is manufactured to a limited extent. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £11. 12. 8½., and in the gift of the Hon. and Rev. Jacob Marsham, D.D.: the tithes were commuted, on the inclosure of the parish, for about 200 acres of land, valued at rather more than £200 per annum. The church is an ancient edifice. There is a place of worship for dissenters.
Edgefield (St. Peter)
EDGEFIELD (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Erpingham, hundred of Holt, W. division of Norfolk, 2¾ miles (S.) from Holt; containing 638 inhabitants. The parish comprises 2435a. 1r. 12p., of which 1497 acres are arable, and 895 pasture and wood; the surface is a good deal undulated, and the scenery, viewed from the higher grounds, is very beautiful. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £11. 6. 8.; net income, £300; patron, John Marcon, Esq. The church, which is in the decorated and later English styles, consists of a nave, chancel, and aisles, with an octagonal tower; there are remains of a handsome carved screen. The Wesleyan Methodists have a place of worship.
EDGE-HILL, a chapelry, in the district parish of West Derby, parish of Walton-on-the-Hill, union and hundred of West Derby, S. division of the county of Lancaster, 1 mile (S. E.) from Liverpool. The village is pleasantly situated upon rising ground, on the road to Wavertree and Childwall. At a short distance from it, in the vale beneath, is the Liverpool Botanic Garden, comprising eleven acres, laid out with great taste, and having an elegant conservatory in the centre. Here is a station of the Liverpool and Manchester railway, with a depôt and buildings for some of the chief works connected with that undertaking. The station is approached by two inclined carriage-roads, and by three tunnels under different parts of the town, one of which, from Lime-street, is 2000 yards long, another, passing from Wapping, 2216 yards in length, and the third, from Crown-street, 290 yards. It contains two engine-houses (in each of which is a fixed engine for drawing the trains through the tunnels), a carriage-shed 420 feet long and 30 feet wide, some tanks, and other apparatus for facilitating the progress of the work. A fourth tunnel will lead from just above Edge-Hill station to the north end of Liverpool. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of Miss Mason; net income, £170. The chapel, dedicated to St. Mary, was erected a few years since, by the late E. Mason, Esq., and is a commodious structure, with a steeple; the churchyard is surrounded by a row of fine trees. There is a place of worship for Baptists; also a Roman Catholic chapel, and a school in union with the National Society.
Edge-Hill, Stafford.—See Burntwood.
Edge-Hill, county Warwick.—See Kington.
Edgmond (St. Peter)
EDGMOND (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Newport, Newport division of the hundred of South Bradford, N. division of Salop, 1¾ mile (W.) from Newport; comprising the townships of Adney, Caynton, Cherrington, Chetwynd-Aston, Edgmond, and part of Pickstock, with the chapelries of Church-Aston and Tibberton; and containing 2471 inhabitants, of whom 792 are in the township of Edgmond. The parish comprises by measurement 7650 acres, of which 4979 are in the township, including 80 acres of waste land or common: limestone is quarried extensively and burnt into lime, and there are some quarries of good red sandstone. Markets for agricultural produce, and for cattle and pigs, are held every fortnight at Newport, which is amply supplied from this place. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £46. 8. 1½.; patron and incumbent, the Rev. John Dryden Pigott, whose tithes have been commuted for £2400, and whose glebe comprises 140 acres, with a house. The church is an ancient structure. There are chapels of ease at Aston and Tibberton; also two places of worship for dissenters in the parish. The Rev. Dryden Pigott, in 1734, gave £200 for the education of children; and another school is supported by the rector.
Edgton (St. Michael)
EDGTON (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of Clun, hundred of Purslow, S. division of Salop, 5 miles (E. S. E.) from Bishop's-Castle; containing, with the township of Brunslow with Horderley, 214 inhabitants. The parish comprises by measurement 1626 acres, of which 730 are arable, 655 meadow and pasture, and 245 woodland. Brunslow is situated on the south-western declivity of an eminence; and in the neighbourhood is an ancient fortification, called Burrow Camps. The living is a perpetual curacy; patron, incumbent, and impropriator, the Rev. H. Sandford, whose impropriate tithes have been commuted for £235. There is a place of worship for Primitive Methodists.
Edgware (St. Margaret)
EDGWARE (St. Margaret), a parish, and formerly a market-town, in the union of Hendon, hundred of Gore, county of Middlesex, 8 miles (N. W. by W.) from London; containing 659 inhabitants. This place, from its situation within an easy distance of the metropolis, and the excellence of the road to it through an almost uninterrupted succession of elegant villas and agreeable scenery, has become the residence of numerous opulent and respectable families. The Roman Watlingstreet, leading to the ancient city of Verulam, passes over a bridge near the entrance to the village. Of the principal street, the western side is in the parish of Little Stanmore, where, in the early part of the eighteenth century, James, Duke of Chandos, at an expense of £250,000 erected the magnificent palace of Canons. The walls of this edifice were twelve feet in thickness at the base, and nine feet thick in the upper part; the pillars of the hall and the steps of the grand staircase were of the most beautiful marble, and the locks and hinges of the doors were silver: the grounds were adorned with a profusion of statuary. The chapel was richly embellished with paintings of the Italian school: the most eminent composers were employed in the arrangement, and the most eminent masters in the vocal and instrumental performance, of the musical services. After the death of the duke, this noble mansion was taken down and sold piecemeal: the columns formed part of the portico of Wanstead House; the marble staircase was put up in the Earl of Chesterfield's residence in May-fair, London; and the equestrian statue of George I. at present decorates the area of Leicester-square.
The village is supplied with water from a well, dug in 1822, by public subscription. The market, on Thursday, has been discontinued, but a fair is still held on the first Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday in August, for cattle and toys: on the two last days are races, which are in general well attended. There are courts baron and leet on the 1st of May; and the petty-sessions for the division are held in that part of the village which is in Little Stanmore. Blackstone mentions a singular ancient custom as existing here, for the lord of the manor to provide a minstrel or piper to play for the amusement of the tenants, and a small field in Edgware is still called Piper's Green. The parish comprises by admeasurement 1968 acres, of which 165 are arable, 1758 meadow and pasture, and about 45 woodland. The living is a perpetual curacy, but having been from time immemorial endowed with the vicarial tithes, may be considered a vicarage, not in charge; net income, £493; patron and impropriator, John Lee, Esq., LL.D. The church, with the exception of its embattled tower, which is of flint and stone, was rebuilt of brick in 1763, and the interior was thoroughly repaired in 1822. The present churchyard was the site of the old vicarage-house and garden, and upon a new house being erected, the ground was presented to the parish, and consecrated for burial purposes, with the reservation of a right of road through it to the vicarage, and of a piece of ground for a school, which was erected in 1833, at the expense of Charles Day, Esq. An almshouse for four aged women was founded in 1680, by Samuel Atkinson, who endowed it with land now producing, with another benefaction, an income of £32. 10. Charles Day, Esq., in 1828 founded almshouses for eight aged persons, and endowed them with £100 per annum; the premises, situated at the northern extremity of the village, cost £2000, and are in the later English style.
Edgworth (St. Mary)
EDGWORTH (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Cirencester, hundred of Bisley, E. division of the county of Gloucester, 6 miles (N. W. by W.) from Cirencester; containing 149 inhabitants. This parish, which is separated from that of Abbot's-Duntsbourn on the east, and from that of Bisley on the west, by two small brooks that flow in parallel directions, comprises 1566a. 29p.; the surface is extremely hilly, the soil a light clay alternated with stone brash, and stone for building and for the roads is quarried. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £8, and in the gift of Charles Greville, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for £265; the glebe comprises 42 acres. The church is in the Norman style, with portions of later date.
EDGWORTH, a township, in the chapelry of Turton, parish and union of Bolton, hundred of Salford, S. division of Lancashire, 5¼ miles (N. N. E.) from Bolton; containing 1697 inhabitants. This place lies on the north-eastern extremity of the hundred of Salford, near the junction of the mountainous region of the Forest of Rossendale and the manor of Tottington; and, with Entwistle, was anciently common land belonging to the Blackburn and the Entwistle families. It comprises 2960 acres of pasture and moor; and has a thin mountain-vein of coal, and some extensive stonequarries, producing large and excellent flagstones. The road from Bury to Blackburn passes through the village. The Independents and Wesleyans have places of worship; and there are two schools, one, erected in 1804, by subscription, and endowed with £7. 10. per annum, and the other in union with the National Society.
Edial, or Edgehill.—See Burntwood.
Edinghall, or Edengale (Holy Trinity)
EDINGHALL, or Edengale (Holy Trinity), a parish, in the union of Tamworth, N. division of the hundred of Offlow and of the county of Stafford, 6 miles (N. by W.) from Tamworth; containing 197 inhabitants. This place lies in the vale of the Mease, and comprises 851a. 2r. 24p. of land, exclusively of a portion of Croxall, in Derbyshire, which is intermixed with the village. The living is a perpetual curacy, with a net income of £80; patron, the Prebendary of Weeford in Lichfield Cathedral. At the inclosure of the common about 55 years ago, the tithes were commuted for an allotment of 120 acres to the impropriator, and 16½ acres to the incumbent, who has also 27 acres of old glebe, and an annuity from the tithe-farm. The church is a small edifice, upon an eminence near the river: the churchyard is partly situated in Derbyshire. The poor had the interest of £90, left in 1804 by Francis Cobb, Esq.; but the bequest has been lost. An ancient raised way, in the direction of Lullington, in Derbyshire, passes through the parish.
Edingley (St. Giles)
EDINGLEY (St. Giles), a parish, in the union of Southwell, Hatfield division of the wapentake of Thurgarton, S. division of the county of Nottingham, 3 miles (W. N. W.) from Southwell; containing 429 inhabitants. It lies on the road from Southwell to Mansfield, and comprises about 2000 acres. The living is a perpetual curacy, valued in the king's books at £4; net income, £60; patrons, the Chapter of the Collegiate Church of Southwell; impropriator, C. Machin, Esq. The tithes were commuted for land in 1777. The church is a small ancient edifice, with a brick tower; the body is of stone: the chancel was rebuilt in 1844, and the interior of the church beautified. A school is endowed with a few acres of land, partly the gift of Samuel Wright in 1731, and partly allotted by commissioners for inclosing common lands.
Edingthorpe (All Saints)
EDINGTHORPE (All Saints), a parish, in the Tunstead and Happing incorporation, hundred of Tunstead, E. division of Norfolk, 3 miles (N. E. by E.) from North Walsham; containing 195 inhabitants. It comprises by admeasurement 710 acres, which, with the exception of about 15 acres of pasture and plantation, and about 30 of furze, are all arable land. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £5. 5. 2½., and in the patronage of the Crown, in right of the duchy of Lancaster: the tithes have been commuted for £229. 18., and the glebe comprises 17a. 2r. 34p., with a house. The church is an ancient structure in the decorated style, with a tower: the nave is separated from the chancel by a beautiful screen; the font is handsome.
EDINGTON, a township, in the parish of Mitford, union of Morpeth, W. division of Castle ward, S. division of Northumberland, 4¼ miles (S. W. by W.) from Morpeth; containing 23 inhabitants. It comprises 631a. 2r. 31p. The village occupies a very commanding situation, having the whole of the parish of Mitford, with the winding banks of the Font and Wansbeck, within view; besides which are extensive prospects of hill and sea. To the west is excellent grass and turnip soil, on a decaying sandstone which is much esteemed for mixing with lime for mortar and plaster, and of which considerable quantities have been used in the new mansion-house of Creswell and in other buildings, of late years. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for £14. 8. The monks of Newminster had possessions here.
EDINGTON, a chapelry, in the parish of Moorlinch, union of Bridgwater, hundred of Whitley, W. division of Somerset, 6½ miles (E. N. E.) from Bridgwater; containing 428 inhabitants. The great tithes have been commuted for £90; and the vicarial for £110, with a glebe of nearly 25½ acres. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to that of Chilton-upon-Poldon: the chapel, dedicated to St. George, has been enlarged. Here is a medicinal spring, impregnated with sulphur and iron, and said to be efficacious in scorbutic disorders. A tessellated pavement and other Roman antiquities have been discovered.
Edington (All Saints)
EDINGTON (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Westbury and Whorwelsdown, hundred of Whorwelsdown, Whorwelsdown and N. divisions of Wilts, 3¾ miles (E. N. E.) from Westbury; containing, with the tythings of Baynton, West Coulston, and Tinhead, 1136 inhabitants, of whom 475 are in the tything of Edington. The bishops of Salisbury had a palace here, which was plundered and destroyed during the rebellion of Jack Cade, in 1450, when Bishop Ayscough was dragged from the altar of his chapel, where he was officiating at mass, and stoned to death on a neighbouring hill. The parish comprises 5698a. 2r. 25p., of which 3354 acres are pasture, 2307 arable, and 37 woodland. The living is a perpetual curacy, net income, £87; patron and impropriator, George Watson Taylor, Esq. The church, a handsome cruciform structure with a tower rising from the intersection, is rich in many portions of its architecture, both within and without, and contains some beautiful sepulchral erections of an early date. William de Edington, whose paternal name is supposed to have been Cheney, a native of this place, and successively bishop of Winchester, lord high treasurer, and lord high chancellor, in the reign of Edward III., partly rebuilt the church, in which a strong similarity appears to the works executed by him at Winchester cathedral. He also founded a college, about 1347, in honour of the blessed Virgin Mary, St. Catherine, and All Saints, consisting of a dean and twelve ministers, for whom were substituted, at the desire of the Black Prince, in 1358, a reformed order of Augustine friars, called Bonhommes, under the government of a rector: its revenue at the suppression was estimated at £521. 12. 5. A portion of the monastic buildings is remaining, formerly the residence of the dukes of Bolton.
EDINGWORTH, a hamlet, in the parish of East Brent, union of Axbridge, hundred of Brent with Wrington, county of Somerset, 5½ miles (W. by S.) from Axbridge; containing 125 inhabitants. At this place was a priory of Benedictine monks, a cell to the abbey of St. Sever, in Normandy, and which was granted in the 7th of Edward IV. to Eton College.
Edith-Weston (St. Mary)
EDITH-WESTON (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Oakham, hundred of Martinsley, county of Rutland, 7 miles (W. S. W.) from Stamford; containing 343 inhabitants. Here was a priory of Benedictine monks, a cell to the abbey of St. George, at Banguervill, in Normandy, to which it was given by William de Tankervill, chamberlain to Henry I.; it was conveyed to the Carthusians of Coventry in the reign of Richard II., and, as part of their possessions, was granted, in the 4th of Edward VI., to William Parr, Marquess of Northampton. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £14. 7. 6.; net income, £155; patron, the Rev. R. Lucas.
Edlaston (St. James)
EDLASTON (St. James), a parish, in the hundred of Appletree, S. division of the county of Derby, 2½ miles (S.) from Ashbourn, on the left of the road to Sudbury; containing, with the township of Wyaston, 214 inhabitants. The manor was given to the convent of Tutbury by Robert, Earl Ferrers, son of the founder. At the Reformation it was granted by Henry VIII. to William, Lord Paget, who soon after conveyed it to Sir Edward Aston, Knt.; and the property has since belonged to the Eyres, of Hassop, and other families. The parish comprises upwards of 2330 acres, arable, meadow, pasture, and woodland; the surface is undulated, the soil a rich earth, gravel, sand, and peat, and the scenery improved by plantations, which are extensive. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £3. 18. 4.; net income, £220; patron, the Bishop of Lichfield; incumbent, the Rev. Henry Gordon: a certain portion of land, &c., called Callowcroft, is tithe-free. The glebe, in Edlaston township, consists of 33 acres, with a good glebe-house. The church is a small ancient structure, comprising a nave, chancel, and tower, and has lately been repaired: in the churchyard is a very aged yew-tree. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. A common of twenty acres was inclosed in 1824.
Edlingham (St. John the Baptist)
EDLINGHAM (St. John the Baptist), a parish, in the union of Alnwick, N. division of Coquetdale ward and of Northumberland; comprising the townships of Abbewick, Broom-Park, Edlingham, Learchild, and Lemmington, and the chapelry of Bolton; the whole containing 659 inhabitants, of whom 138 are in the township of Edlingham, 6 miles (S. W. by W.) from Alnwick. The parish is situated on the great road to Edinburgh, and is watered by the river Aln, which receives several small streams; it comprises by computation 1200 acres. The surface is varied, rising in some parts into hills of considerable elevation; the soil in the lower grounds is rich, and on the uplands inclined to moor, affording tolerable sheep pasture. There are coalmines, but not in operation, and some quarries of excellent building-stone. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £6. 14. 4.; net income, £483; patrons and appropriators, the Dean and Chapter of Durham. The church is an ancient structure, with some Norman details still remaining, though it has undergone various alterations. At Bolton is a chapel of ease. There are remains of Edlingham Castle, built prior to the reign of Henry II., and of which Edgar Atheling, son of Edmund the Outlaw, was owner; he is said to have lived here in 1167, when he must have been 120 years old, as he came into England with his father while a boy, in 1057.