A Topographical Dictionary of England. Originally published by S Lewis, London, 1848.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
BARNSLEY, a markettown and chapelry, in the parish of Silkstone, wapentake of Staincross, W. riding of York, 14 miles (N.) from Sheffield, 38 (S. by W.) from York, and 177 (N. W. by N.) from London; containing 12,310 inhabitants. This place, in the Domesday survey "Bernesleye," and called also Bleak Barnsley from the exposed situation of the original town, now a hamlet in the chapelry, was anciently celebrated for the manufacture of steel wire, which is still carried on to a moderate extent. The favourable situation of the present town in the heart of a district abounding in coal, iron, and stone, amply supplied with water, and intersected with canals in almost every direction, affording facilities of communication with many of the principal towns in the kingdom, rendered it peculiarly eligible for the purposes of trade; and the introduction of the linen manufacture, towards the close of the last century, appears to have laid the foundation of its subsequent increase, and its present prosperity. Since the introduction of that branch of manufacture the place has been steadily advancing in importance, and so rapid has been its progress, that within the last thirty years its population has been nearly quintupled. The chief articles manufactured here for many years were the coarser kinds of linen goods, principally towelling, sheeting, dowlas, and duck; but about the year 1810, the manufacture of huckabacks, diapers, damasks, broad sheeting, and the finer sorts of linen, was attempted and carried on with complete success; and since that period, the improvement made in this branch of manufacture has been such as to rival in fineness of texture and beauty of pattern, the most costly productions of Scotland and Ireland.
The town is pleasantly situated on the acclivity of a hill rising from the bank of the river Dearne, and consists of several streets, of which the more ancient are narrow and irregularly formed, but those of more modern date spacious, and uniformly built. Considerable improvements have been made by the erection of good houses on the sites of many that have been removed; by the widening of some streets; and the building of others: and the houses being generally of stone, procured in the neighbourhood, the town has a handsome and imposing aspect. The streets are lighted with gas by a company of shareholders established under an act of parliament in 1821, with a capital of £6000, raised in shares of £10 each; and the inhabitants are supplied with water by another company established under a more recent act, and having a capital of £9000. The water, which is of excellent quality, is obtained from the Dearne, about a mile from the town. The public rooms were erected in 1837, at an expense of £1500, by a proprietary of £25 shareholders; the principal front is of the Ionic order, and the building contains a subscription library and news-room communicating with each other, so as to form one room occasionally for the delivery of lectures. The news-room is embellished with an original full-length portrait of the Duke of Wellington, painted by H. P. Briggs, Esq., R.A., and a likeness of Archdeacon Corbett, by the same artist. The mechanics' institution for the promotion of science by mutual instruction and stipendiary lectures, was established in 1837, and has a good library. The theatre, a neat plain building, was erected in 1814, at a cost of £1400, and is opened at intervals. The hall for the society of Odd Fellows, forming a branch of the Manchester union, is a handsome structure of the GrecianIonic order, erected in 1836 at an expense of £1100, in shares of £1 each; the great room in which the lodges are held is elegantly decorated, and of ample dimensions. The environs of the town present a pleasing diversity of scenery, and the land is richly cultivated: among the numerous seats are the mansions of Earl Fitzwilliam, Lord Wharncliffe, Sir W. Pilkington, Bart., and F. T. W. V. Wentworth, Esq.
The inhabitants are chiefly employed in the linen manufacture, and, at present, the demand for drills has become so extensive as to form the principal branch of trade; not less than 4000 hand-looms are constantly employed in weaving these articles in an endless variety of patterns, producing annually more than 220,000 pieces of drill, each fifty yards in length. So great, indeed, is the number of hands engaged in this department, that the manufacturers of the other articles have been obliged to introduce power-looms, which are well adapted to the heavier kinds of linen, and in the superintendence of which the weavers obtain higher wages than they previously earned by hand-loom weaving. The total amount of the linens manufactured averages about £1,000,000 per annum: the Barnsley ducks, so generally in demand for smock-frocks, have been for some time superseded by a fabric of thicker and warmer texture, called "drabbets." In the town and its vicinity are extensive works for bleaching, some dye-houses, and two large calendering establishments; there are also flax-mills for spinning yarn, but the greater portion of the yarn used in the factories here is brought from Leeds, and still more distant places. There are several iron-foundries, and two manufactories for steel-wire, the produce of which is used by the needle-makers. Coal of excellent quality is obtained in the immediate vicinity; one seam, called the Barnsley thick bed, averages about ten feet in thickness, and there are other extensive mines in operation, the produce of which, with the iron and freestone with which the district abounds, forms a considerable source of trade. Great facilities of conveyance are afforded by the Barnsley canal, which was constructed in 1794, and extends from the river Calder, near Wakefield, to the Dearne and Dove canal at this place; the Midland railway, also, passes within two miles and a half of the town. The market, which is toll-free for all kinds of grain, is on Wednesday, and there is also a market for provisions on Saturday; fairs for cattle and horses are held on May 13th and Oct. 11th, a great market for live-stock on the last Wednesday in February, and another for swine on the Wednesday before Old Michaelmas-day. The town is within the liberty of the honour of Pontefract, and its management is vested in commissioners chosen at the court of quarter-sessions, under an act, 3rd George IV., cap. 25, for lighting, paving, watching, and improving the place. A court baron for the manor of Barnsley and Dodworth is held annually by the steward, and a court of petty-sessions every Wednesday by the magistrates of Staincross wapentake. The powers of the county debt-court of Barnsley, established in 1847, extend over the registration-district of Ecclesfield, and part of that of Wortley. The court-house is a neat substantial building, erected in 1833 at an expense of £1300, of which £500 were raised by rate, and the remainder by subscription: it contains the various rooms for holding the courts, and for the transaction of business relative to the town; and the hall contains a fulllength portrait of the late Lord Wharncliffe, lord-lieutenant of the county, by Briggs.
The chapelry comprises by measurement 2116 acres. The chapel, dedicated to St. Mary, with the exception of the tower, has been rebuilt of freestone found in the neighbourhood, at a cost of £12,000, raised by rate on the inhabitants: the present structure is in the later English style, and contains 1050 sittings; the east window is embellished with paintings of Our Saviour, the Virgin Mary, and the Four Evangelists, in stained glass. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £225; patron, the Archbishop of York. The church dedicated to St. George, to which a district has been assigned, was erected in 1823 by the Parliamentary Commissioners, at an expense of £6500: it is a handsome structure in the later English style, with some details of more ancient character, and has turrets at the angles, and embattled parapets; it contains 1174 sittings. The living, which is endowed with £1500 three-and-a-half per cent. stock, has a net income of £150; patron, the Archbishop. A church district named St. John's was formed in 1844, and endowed by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners: divine service is performed in a schoolhouse licensed by the Bishop of Ripon, who is patron of the living alternately with the Crown. There are places of worship for the Society of Friends, Independents, Primitive Methodists, Methodists of the New Connexion, and Wesleyans; and a Roman Catholic chapel. The free grammar school was founded in 1665, and endowed with property now producing £50 per annum, by Thomas Kerrisforth. A considerable estate has been vested in trustees by Rodolph Bosville, Esq., of London, for the general benefit of the inhabitants. Edmund Rogers, in 1646, left an estate at Thorpe-Audlin, for the benefit of the poor, to whom also Thomas Cutler in 1614, and his wife Ellen in 1636, devised lands; and Thomas Thwaites, in the 10th of Elizabeth, bequeathed property producing £179. 17. per annum for "the general weal of all the township of Barnsley."
Barnsley (St. Mary)
BARNSLEY (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Cirencester, hundred of Brightwell's-Barrow, E. division of the county of Gloucester, 4¼ miles (E. N. E.) from Cirencester; containing 305 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated on the road from Cirencester to Burford, comprises 2000 acres by recent survey, and contains quarries of freestone of good quality for building and other purposes; the scenery is enriched with the park and elegant mansion of Sir James Musgrave, Bart. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £13. 15. 5., and in the gift of Sir James, with tithes producing £320 per annum, and a glebe of 16 acres. The church is an ancient structure, the chancel of which is separated from the nave by a fine Norman arch. On Barnsley Wold, about a mile from the village, is a tumulus.
Barnstaple, or Barum (St. Peter and St. Paul)
BARNSTAPLE, or Barum (St. Peter and St. Paul), a port, borough, market-town, and parish, having exclusive jurisdiction, and the head of a union, locally in the hundred of Braunton, Braunton and N. divisions of Devon, 40 miles (N. W.) from Exeter, and 193 (W. by S.) from London; containing 7902 inhabitants. The origin of this place, which is of considerable antiquity, and is said to have been a Saxon burgh so early as the reign of Athelstan, is involved in obscurity. At the Conquest it was granted to Judael de Totnais, by whom, if not previously by Athelstan, the castle of Barnstaple, of which there are still some remains, is supposed to have been erected, and the town encompassed with walls defended by four gates, of which there were some vestiges in the time of Leland. In the reign of Henry I., and also in that of John, the inhabitants received many valuable privileges, and the town subsequently became the residence of numerous merchants, who traded with France and Spain, and soon raised it into importance. It was made one of the principal depôts for wool, from which circumstance it is supposed to have derived its name; and continued to increase in commercial prosperity till the reign of Elizabeth, when it equipped three ships of war for the fleet destined to repel the Spanish Armada. It suffered materially in 1606, from a flood which inundated the town, and did much damage to the property of the inhabitants. During the civil war of the seventeenth century, it was distinguished for its adherence to the cause of the parliament, and was the scene of frequent conflicts between the two parties, being alternately in the possession of each.
The town is pleasantly situated in a fertile vale sheltered by a semicircular range of hills, on the east bank of the river Taw, near its confluence with the Yeo; and consists of several spacious and well-paved streets, containing many well-built houses. The barracks, formerly appropriated to the reception of cavalry, were purchased from government in 1818, by H. Hole, Esq., and converted into a handsome range of dwelling-houses with gardens and coach-houses attached, called Ebberlyplace, and forming an interesting feature in the appearance of the town; there is a similar range of building, named Trafalgar-place, at Newport, close to the town. The inhabitants are amply supplied with excellent water, conveyed by pipes from the distance of half a mile; and the town is lighted with gas. The air is salubrious, and the surrounding scenery agreeably and richly diversified. Several charming walks upon the winding banks of the Taw (over which is a stately stone bridge of eighteen arches, within a few years considerably widened, and improved by iron railings) extend for nearly a mile; and one of them, called the North walk, is shaded by lofty elm-trees, and commands a fine view of the junction of the rivers Taw and Yeo, which here expand into a beautiful bay. On the quay is a handsome piazza of the Doric order, called Queen Anne's walk, surmounted by a statue of that sovereign, and formerly used as an exchange by the merchants for the transaction of their business. A light and elegant theatre has been erected in one of the chief streets; and there are assembly, reading, and billiard rooms, which are well attended.
The trade consists principally in the importation of deals from North America and the Baltic; wines, spirits, and fruits direct from the places of their growth; coal and culm from South Wales; and shop goods, chiefly groceries, from London and Bristol; and in the exportation of corn and other agricultural produce, oak-timber and bark, leather, wool, tiles, earthenware, &c. The quay, on which is the custom-house, is extensive and commodious; but, from the accumulation of sand, by which the navigation of the river is obstructed, it is not accessible to vessels of more than 100 tons' burthen. A few years since, the port obtained the privilege of bonding wines, spirits, and other articles of colonial produce; and by warrant of the lords of the treasury, lately issued, Ilfracombe has been deprived of the character of a separate port, and is now united as a creek to the port of Barnstaple. The Taw Vale railway and dock have been constructed here under the provisions of an act of parliament obtained for that purpose: the line extends from Penhill, in the parish of Fremington, to this place, is two miles and a half in length, and in its course passes under a tunnel 418 yards long; it was completed at an expense of £20,000. In 1846 an act was passed for the extension of this railway, 31 miles, to the Exeter and Crediton line at Crediton. The manufacture of serge and inferior broad-cloths has long been established; and in the town and neighbourhood are three factories for patent lace, or bobbin-net, employing more than 1000 persons. There are also six tan-yards and two paper-mills; an iron-foundry was established in 1822; and great quantities of bricks, tiles, and coarse earthenware are manufactured. Limestone of good quality is found within four miles of the town, and lead-ore has been discovered in the vicinity, but at such a depth from the surface as to afford little encouragement for the opening of mines. The market is on Friday; and there are great markets on the Fridays before March 16th, April 21st, and July 27th, and on the second Friday in December. A great market for cattle, for which this place is celebrated, is also held monthly; and a fair for horses, cattle, and sheep, on Sept. 19th, which is continued for three days.
The inhabitants have received various charters of incorporation, of which that of James I., in the 8th year of his reign, was the governing charter, until the passing of the act 5th and 6th William IV., c. 76, when the borough was divided into two wards, and the control vested in a mayor, six aldermen, and 18 councillors. The elective franchise was granted in the reign of Edward I., since which time the borough has regularly returned two members to parliament. The right of election was once vested in the corporation and free burgesses, in number about 700; but, by the act of the 2nd of William IV., cap. 45, it was confined to the resident burgesses only, and extended to the £10 householders of the borough, the limits of which, both for parliamentary and municipal purposes, include by computation 980 acres: the mayor is the returning officer. Courts of quarter-session are held for the borough, for determining on all offences not capital; and a court of record, having jurisdiction over the four neighbouring hundreds, is held on alternate Mondays, for the recovery of debts to any amount, and for other business relative to the police of the borough. The powers of the county debt-court of Barnstaple, established in 1847, extend over the greater part of the registration-district of Barnstaple. The guildhall, in which the courts are held, is a spacious building, erected by the corporation in 1826; and contiguous to it is a handsome market-place for butchers' meat, with convenient shops. A substantial and convenient prison, containing 20 cells, was erected some years since, at the joint expense of the inhabitants and the corporation.
The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £15. 8. 9.; net income, £324; patron, Lord Wharncliffe; impropriator, R. N. Incledon, Esq. The church is a spacious and ancient structure, with a spire. A church district, named St. Mary Magdalene's, was formed in 1845, under the 6th and 7th of Victoria, cap. 37, and endowed by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners: the living is a perpetual curacy with an income of £150, in the patronage of the Crown and the Bishop of Exeter alternately. The church, commenced in Oct. 1844, and consecrated in Nov. 1846, is a simple and elegant structure of beautiful proportions, in the early English style, from a design of Mr. B. Ferrey's. The cost, about £3500, exclusive of £500 for the site, was raised by subscription, aided by a grant from the Church Building Society; the tower and spire were the gift of the first appointed incumbent. Another church, that of the Holy Trinity, a very handsome cruciform building in the later English style, has been erected at an expense of nearly £10,000, defrayed almost wholly by the Rev. John James Scott; the site was presented by Mr. Charles Roberts. This edifice was consecrated in June, 1845; and the living is a perpetual curacy, in the gift of the Rev. J. J. Scott. There are places of worship for Baptists, the Society of Friends, Independents, and Wesleyans. The free grammar school, of uncertain foundation, was endowed in 1649 by R. Ferris, and a small annuity was added in 1760 by the Rev. John Wright: the school-house, an ancient building in the churchyard, formerly belonged to the Cluniac monastery established here by Judael de Totnais. Jewell, the celebrated Bishop of Salisbury; Thomas Harding, Jesuit professor at Louvain; and Gay, the poet, who was born in the neighbourhood, received the rudiments of their education in the school. The charity school, for clothing and educating 50 boys and 24 girls, was founded in 1710, and is maintained by the rent of land purchased with several benefactions, and by subscription.
Litchdon almshouse, an ancient building, consisting of a centre and two wings, in one of which is a chapel, was founded in 1624, and endowed with a considerable estate by John Penrose, Esq., for 40 aged persons of either sex. Horwood's almshouses, for sixteen people, established in 1658, and Paige's almshouses, established in 1553, and enlarged in 1656, were both endowed by the respective founders whose names they bear. The late Mr. Roberts, in 1830, gave £500 four per cent. annuities, the interest to be distributed among the poor of the various almshouses, in number 70 persons; and an elegant building, comprising three sides of a square, and containing twelve almshouses, has lately been erected near Litchdon almshouse, at the expense of Mr. Charles Roberts, son of the above-named gentleman, for 24 decayed housekeepers. A noble hospital, or infirmary, for the reception of the afflicted poor of the north of Devon, was erected by subscription in 1826; it is a lofty and handsome structure, situated on the south-east of the town. An extensive establishment, called the North Devon Dispensary, was also founded in 1830. The union of Barnstaple comprises 39 parishes and places, and contains a population of 37,452. On the quay is an ancient building, now used as a warehouse, said to have been a chantry chapel dedicated to St. Anne. A priory was founded by Judael de Totnais, soon after the Conquest, and dedicated to St. Mary Magdalene, for monks of the Cluniac order; it was at first a cell to the abbey of St. Martin de Campis, at Paris, but was afterwards made denizen, and flourished till the Dissolution, when its revenue was estimated at £123. 6. 9. Some notice also occurs of a house of Augustine friars, and of an hospital dedicated to the Holy Trinity, founded here; but no particulars are recorded.
BARNSTON, a township, in the parish of Woodchurch, union, and Lower division of the hundred, of Wirrall, S. division of the county of Chester, 4½ miles (N. by W.) from Great Neston; containing 206 inhabitants. A moiety of the manor belonged to a family of the same name, and afterwards to a branch of the Bennets of Wollaston; the other moiety passed by successive heirs from the Domvilles to the Hulses, Troutbecks, and Talbots. The township comprises 940 acres, whereof 344 are arable, 516 meadow, 22 wood, and 57 waste; the soil is clay, and the surface undulated. The scenery is very fine, and embraces, in the distance, views of the Welsh hills.
BARNSTON, a parish, in the union and hundred of Dunmow, N. division of Essex, 2¼ miles (S. E.) from Dunmow; containing 197 inhabitants. The manor was held by Hugh de Berners and his descendants for many generations, and from them obtained its name Bernerstown, now corrupted into Bernston or Barnston. The parish is pleasantly situated on the river Chelmer. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £13, and in the patronage of the family of Toke, whose mansion of Albanes is in the parish: the tithes have been commuted for £410, and there are 21 acres of glebe. The church is an ancient edifice in the Norman style; the steeple was destroyed by lightning in 1665.
BARNSTONE, a chapelry, in the parish of Langar, union and N. division of the wapentake of Bingham, S. division of the county of Nottingham, 1 mile (N. E.) from Langar; containing 136 inhabitants. It comprises 1386 acres of land. The village occupies an eminence commanding an extensive view of the vale of Belvoir. The chapel is a small building with a short tower, and is supposed to be the remains of, or rather to have replaced, the ancient chapel of St. Atheburga or St. Aubrey, which, Thoroton says, stood in the fields of Langar.
BARNTON, a township, in the parish of Great Budworth, union of Northwich, hundred of Bucklow, N. division of the county of Chester, 1¾ mile (N. W. by W.) from Northwich; containing 859 inhabitants. The manor was purchased in the reign of King John by the Duttons, and was afterwards held under them, in moieties, by the Berthingtons and Starkies. Since the reign of Elizabeth, when the Starkies' moiety is known to have been sold in severalties, the manor has been annihilated. The township comprises 660 acres, of a sandy soil. A church dedicated to Christ has been erected: the living is a perpetual curacy, in the gift of the Bishop of Chester, with an income of £120. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.
Barnwell, Cambridge.—See Cambridge.
BARNWELL, Cambridge.—See Cambridge.
Barnwell (All Saints)
BARNWELL (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Oundle, hundred of Huxloe, N. division of the county of Northampton, 2¼ miles (S. E. by E.) from Oundle; containing 140 inhabitants. The parish extends to the border of Huntingdonshire, which bounds it on the east; and comprises by measurement 1445 acres. The living is a rectory, united to that of Barnwell St. Andrew, and valued in the king's books at £15. 6. 8.
Barnwell (St. Andrew)
BARNWELL (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union of Oundle, hundred of Polebrook, N. division of the county of Northampton, 2½ miles (S. by E.) from Oundle; containing 282 inhabitants. The parish comprises 1515a. 2r. 17p., and is bounded on the northwest by the Nene; on the east it is bounded by the county of Huntingdon, and the village is a little to the left of the road from Oundle to Thrapstone. Here also is a station of the Northampton and Peterborough railway. Stone for building and for the repair of roads is quarried, and a variety of fossils have been found. The living is a rectory, to which that of Barnwell All Saints was united in 1821, valued in the king's books at £17. 2. 1.; net income, £298; patron, Lady Montagu. The tithes of the two parishes were commuted for land and corn-rents in 1830; there are 26 acres of glebe, and an excellent parsonage-house. The church is a fine specimen of the early and decorated English styles, with a tower and spire. There is a free school, founded in the 2nd of James I. by the Rev. Nicholas Latham, who also established an almshouse for 14 infirm men and women, bequeathing estates for these purposes, and for the relief of persons in distress. The income was augmented in 1824, by a bequest from Mr. William Bigley, of London, who also left an endowment for building a school-house, and educating and clothing 15 girls of Barnwell St. Andrew and Oundle. In the reign of Henry I. a baronial castle was erected here by Reginald le Moine, of which there are considerable remains, including the principal gateway.
Barnwood (St. Lawrence)
BARNWOOD (St. Lawrence), a parish, in the Upper division of the hundred of Dudstone and King's Barton, union, and E. division of the county, of Gloucester, 1½ mile (E. S. E.) from Gloucester; containing 383 inhabitants. The road from Gloucester to Cirencester, and the Bristol and Birmingham railway, pass through the parish, which is also intersected by the Roman Fosse-way. The living is a vicarage, not in charge; patrons and appropriators, the Dean and Chapter of Gloucester. The great tithes have been commuted for £350, and the vicarial for £176; the glebe comprises nearly half an acre.
Barony, with Evenwood
BARONY, with Evenwood, a township, in the parish of St. Andrew Auckland, union of Auckland, N. W. division of Darlington ward, S. division of the county of Durham; containing 1729 inhabitants. This place is situated on the north side of the river Gaunless, over which is a bridge leading to Evenwood; and contains the hamlets of Morley, Ramshaw, and Tofthill. The Bishop of Durham, as lord of the manor, holds courts leet and baron in March and October, at which debts to the amount of 40s. are recoverable.
BARR, GREAT, a parochial chapelry, in the parish of Aldridge, union of Walsall, S. division of the hundred of Offlow and of the county of Stafford, 5½ miles (N.) from Birmingham; containing 1078 inhabitants. This place lies on the road between Birmingham and Walsall, and comprises about 5000 acres: the surface is elevated; the soil varies from a light to a heavy quality, and the scenery is beautiful, presenting from the celebrated Barr beacon a very extensive view. Excellent limestone is obtained, of a peculiar degree of hardness suitable for under-water work, as it sets quickly and firmly. At Newton is a station of the Liverpool and Birmingham railway. The Hall, which has long been the seat of the Scott family, stands in a romantic vale, having an extensive lawn and deer-park, with a fine sheet of water in front; the grounds are abundantly planted, and the sylvan beauties of the place owe much to the taste of the poet Shenstone. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to the rectory of Aldridge. The chapel, dedicated to St. Margaret, stands on an eminence shaded by a number of lofty elms; it was rebuilt in the latter part of the last century by Joseph Scott, Esq., afterwards Sir Joseph Scott, Bart., and is in the Grecian style, with a handsome spire. There are seven painted windows, copied from designs by Sir Joshua Reynolds at New College, Oxford; the eastern window is elaborately painted by Eginton, of Birmingham. The chapel lands consist of about 66 acres of land on Barr common, obtained at the inclosure in 1799 from Sir Joseph Scott, in exchange for the Chapel Hills, which had been held from time immemorial. John Addyes, in 1722, bequeathed property for the erection and endowment of a free school for thirteen boys, which number by subsequent benefactions has been augmented to twenty; the endowment consists of a house and land, the latter let for nearly £50 per annum.
BARRASFORD, a township, in the parish of Chollerton, union of Hexham, N. E. division of Tindale ward, S. division of Northumberland, 7 miles (N. by W.) from Hexham; containing 209 inhabitants. At this place, which, with the exception of a small freehold, is the property of the Duke of Northumberland, Robert de Umfraville in 1303 obtained license from Edward I. to hold a market on Wednesdays, and a fair on November 11th, both of which have been discontinued. The tithes have been commuted for £126. 6. payable to the Mercers' Company, of London, and £54. 2. 11. to the vicar of the parish.
BARRAWAY, a chapelry, in the parish of Soham, union of Newmarket, hundred of Staploe, county of Cambridge, 2¼ miles (S. S. E.) from Ely; containing 71 inhabitants. The chapel is dedicated to St. Nicholas.
Barrington (All Saints)
BARRINGTON (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Royston, hundred of Wetherley, county of Cambridge, 6¾ miles (S. W. by S.) from Cambridge; containing 533 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £7. 14. 4.; net income, £107; patrons, the Master and Fellows of Trinity College, Cambridge, to whom also the impropriation belongs. The tithes were commuted for cornrents in 1796. The church has been repaired within a few years.
Barrington (St. Mary)
BARRINGTON (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Langport, hundred of South Petherton, W. division of Somerset, 3¾ miles (N. E.) from Ilminster; containing, with the hamlet of Barrington-hill, 531 inhabitants, and comprising by computation 900 acres. Hemp and flax are extensively cultivated. About a mile from the village is the terminus of the canal recently cut by the Parret Navigation Company, by means of which, in conjunction with the rivers Isle and Parret, a communication is obtained with the town of Bridgwater. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £84; patron John Lee Lee, Esq., as lessee of the advowson under the Dean and Chapter of Bristol. The tithes have been commuted for £396.
Barrington, Great (St. Mary)
BARRINGTON, GREAT (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Stow-on-the-Wold, Lower division of the hundred of Slaughter, E. division of the county of Gloucester, 3¼ miles (N. W.) from Burford; containing 553 inhabitants. It comprises about 1700 acres; the soil is partly stiff clay and partly light earth, and the parish abounds with freestone of excellent quality, which is extensively wrought, and from quarries of which was obtained stone for the erection of Blenheim House, and the repairs of Westminster Abbey. The Windrush, a branch of the Thames, runs through the parish. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £7. 6. 8., and in the gift of Lord Dynevor, whose seat of Barrington Park is situated in the parish: the great tithes, payable to his lordship, have been commuted for £213. 15., and those of the incumbent for £195. 16., with a glebe of 42 acres. The church is a handsome edifice, in the later English style, with an embattled tower.
Barrington, Little (St. Peter)
BARRINGTON, LITTLE (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Northleach, Lower division of the hundred of Slaughter, E. division of the county of Gloucester, 3 miles (W. N. W.) from Burford; containing 208 inhabitants, and comprising about 1000 acres. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £4. 19. 2., with a net income of £100; the patronage and impropriation belong to the Crown. Under an inclosure act in 1759, land and money payments were given in lieu of all tithes for the manor, the money payments being for the small tithes of the old inclosures. Schools are partly supported by the surplus revenue of an estate left for repairing the church.
BARRON'S-PARK, a hamlet, in the parish of Desford, union of Market-Bosworth, hundred of Sparkenhoe, S. division of the county of Leicester, 5 miles (W.) from Leicester; containing 18 inhabitants.