A Topographical Dictionary of England. Originally published by S Lewis, London, 1848.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
LONDON-COLNEY, a chapelry, in the union of St. Alban's, parishes of St. Peter and St. Alban's, hundred of Cashio, or liberty of St. Alban's, county of Hertford, 6 miles (N. W. by N.) from Barnet. This place derives its name from its situation on the road to London, which crosses the river Colne here, by a substantial brick bridge of seven arches. The living is a perpetual curacy, with a net income of £82, and an excellent glebe-house; it is in the patronage of the Countess of Caledon, to whom also the impropriation belongs. The chapel is a handsome edifice in the later English style, dedicated to St. Peter, erected by subscription, and grants of £400 from the Parliamentary Commissioners and £500 from the Incorporated Society; the site was given by the Earl of Hardwicke, who settled £40 per annum towards the support of the minister. A national school was built by the late Earl of Caledon, and endowed with £20 per annum by the Countess Dowager of Hardwicke.
Londonthorpe, (St. John the Baptist)
LONDONTHORPE, (St. John the Baptist), a parish, in the union of Grantham, wapentake of Loveden, parts of Kesteven, county of Lincoln, 3½ miles (N. N. E.) from the town of Grantham; containing 182 inhabitants. The living is a vicarage not in charge, united, with that of Great Gonerby, to the vicarage of North Grantham: the tithes were commuted for land and corn-rents in 1795.
Long Benton, Northumberland.—See Benton, Long.
Longborough (St. James)
LONGBOROUGH (St. James), a parish, in the union of Stow-on-the-Wold, Upper division of the hundred of Kiftsgate, E. division of the county of Gloucester, 3 miles (N. by W.) from Stow; containing 625 inhabitants. The parish comprises 2903 acres; the surface is hilly, and the soil in many places stony, but a large portion of the land is of good quality. There is a considerable stone-quarry, which the inhabitants claim the right of working, and the produce of which is extensively used for building. The living is a discharged vicarage, with the rectory of Seasoncote united, valued in the king's books at £5. 15., and in the gift of Lord Leigh and Sir Charles Cockerell, Bart., the former having two presentations, and the latter one; net income, £221. The glebe consists of about 60 acres, with a house. The church has been enlarged and repaired, and is now a neat edifice. The Fosse-way passes by the village, and near it is a long camp, from which the place is supposed to have derived its name.
LONGCOT, a chapelry, in the parish and hundred of Shrivenham, union of Farringdon, county of Berks, 3½ miles (S. by W.) from Farringdon; containing 504 inhabitants, and comprising 1865a. 1r. 23p. The tithes were commuted for land and a money payment in 1796. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the gift of the Crown; net income, £300. The chapel is dedicated to St. Mary.
LONGDEN, a chapelry, in the parish of Pontesbury, union of Atcham, hundred of Ford, S. division of Salop, 5 miles (S. W. by S.) from Shrewsbury; containing 371 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £53; patron, the Rev. E. Homfray. The chapel, dedicated to St. Ruthen, is a plain building, containing 140 sittings, of which 35 are free.
Longdon (St. James)
LONGDON (St. James), a parish, in the union of Lichfield, S. division of the hundred of Offlow and of the county of Stafford, 4 miles (N. W. by N.) from Lichfield; containing 1183 inhabitants. It is situated on the road from London to Liverpool, and comprises by admeasurement 4455 acres. The surface is undulated, and the scenery picturesque, being richly ornamented with wood; the pastures are of good quality, and the arable lands produce excellent wheat and barley. The Trent and Mersey canal passes about two miles northward of the church. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £5. 5.; patron, the Bishop of Lichfield. The great tithes have been commuted for £391, and the small for £136; the impropriate glebe contains 49½ acres, and the vicarial nearly 29 acres. The church is an ancient edifice with a tower, and contains a beautiful Norman arch. Portions of this parish, and of Cannock, were in 1837 assigned as a district to the chapel at Gentleshaw, in Longdon: the chapel is dedicated to Christ; and the living is a perpetual curacy with an income of £100, in the alternate gift of the Bishop and the Dean and Chapter. There are places of worship for Independents and Wesleyans; and the Society of Friends have a very ancient burial-ground at Gentleshaw. A national school has been established. St. Mary's almshouses, ten in number, were founded by Mrs. Jane Cotton. At Castle Ring, a point in the Marquess of Anglesey's park at Beaudesert, are the remains of a British or Danish encampment.
Longdon (St. Mary)
LONGDON (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Upton-upon-Severn, Lower division of the hundred of Pershore, Upton and W. divisions of the county of Worcester, 3 miles (S. S. W.) from Upton-upon-Severn; containing 598 inhabitants, of whom 520 are in the township. The parish comprises 3845 acres, of which 125 were common or waste: the common fields and meadows have been inclosed within the last four years. The road from Upton to Gloucester passes through the village, and the river Severn runs within a mile and a half. Sandstone of a very soft kind is quarried, chiefly for fences. The living is a vicarage, with the perpetual curacy of Castle-Morton annexed, valued in the king's books at £14. 17. 3½.; patrons and appropriators, the Dean and Chapter of Westminster. The tithes have been commuted for £845; the appropriate glebe contains 94 acres, and the vicarial 26. The church stands on the north-east side of the village: the nave was rebuilt in 1787, of brick; the tower and spire are of hard sandstone, and the former contains a peal of six good bells, recast in 1835. A school was founded in 1630, and endowed by Giles Godwin with land now producing £34 per annum.
Longdon-upon-Terne (St. Bartholomew)
LONGDON-upon-Terne (St. Bartholomew), a parish, in the union of Wellington, Newport division of the hundred of South Bradford, N. division of Salop, 3½ miles (N. W. by N.) from Wellington; containing 99 inhabitants. The parish comprises 796 acres, and is situated on the road from Wellington to Ercall Magna and Wem. The Shrewsbury canal passes through the village, and is here crossed by the river Terne. The living is a donative; net income, £182; patron and impropriator, the Duke of Sutherland: the tithes have been commuted for £210. The church is a very small and plain edifice, built about 1776.
Longfield (St. Mary Magdalene)
LONGFIELD (St. Mary Magdalene), a parish, in the union of Dartford, hundred of Axton, Dartford, and Wilmington, lathe of Sutton-at-Hone, W. division of Kent, 5½ miles (S. E.) from Dartford; containing 128 inhabitants. It comprises 585 acres. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £5. 17. 6.: net income, £193; patron, the Bishop of Rochester. The church contains the remains of the beneficent Archdeacon Plume, founder of the professorship at Cambridge which bears his name.
LONGFLEET, a tything, in the parish of Canford Magna, borough and union of Poole, hundred of Cogdean, Wimborne division of Dorset, 1 mile (N. N. E.) from the town of Poole; containing 1281 inhabitants. A chapel has been erected, chiefly at the expense of Lord de Mauley, aided by a grant of £500 from the Incorporated Society: the living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of Sir J. Guest.
Longford (St. Chad)
LONGFORD (St. Chad), a parish, in the hundred of Appletree, S. division of the county of Derby; containing, with the townships of Alkmonton and Hollington, the liberty of Hungry-Bentley, and the hamlet of Rodsley, 1249 inhabitants, of whom 568 are in the township of Longford, 10 miles (W. by N.) from Derby. The parish comprises 5813a. 2r. 37p., of which the greater portion is pasture, with a very small quantity of arable and woodland; the soil is in general fertile. The late Earl of Leicester, whose family has been connected with the place for more than two centuries, erected, in 1842, two neat substantial bridges over the mill-stream in the centre of the village, at an expense of £800, and gave them to the county on the condition of their being kept in repair. The living was formerly a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £3. 8. 9., but is now a rectory, the sinecure rectory and the vicarage having been united in 1840; patron, the Hon. Edward Coke; incumbent, the Rev. T. Garnier. The great tithes of Longford township have been commuted for £204, and the glebe consists of 99 acres; the small tithes have been commuted for £80, and the glebe contains 200 acres, with a glebe-house. Roger, Bishop of Lichfield and Coventry, endowed the vicarage with the great tithes of Bentley, charging it with a pension of 50s. to the priory of Kenilworth, in Warwick. The church is full of interesting architectural remains: in the north aisle are some fine Norman arches. The chancel, which is in the early decorated style, is much admired for its symmetrical proportions and chaste details; it contains three stone stalls, a piscina, and some ancient monumental effigies. A costly monument to the late Earl of Leicester has been erected by subscription, consisting of a richly ornamented stone canopy, with a fine marble bust and an inscription; and a marble monument, by Gibson, to the late Countess of Leicester, has been since erected. The tower of the church is a good specimen of the later English style. A chapel of ease was lately built at Alkmonton. In 1687, Sir Robert Coke, Bart., founded an almshouse for six persons, and endowed it with £55 per annum: in 1688, Lady Catherine Coke bequeathed land, producing £32 per annum, for education; and there is another school, supported by William Evans, Esq., M.P.
LONGFORD, a hamlet, in the parishes of St. Catherine and St. Mary-de-Lode, Upper division of the hundred of Dudstone and King's-Barton, union, and E. division of the county, of Gloucester, 1¼ mile (N. E. by N.) from Gloucester; containing 409 inhabitants, of whom 170 are in St. Catherine's.
Longford (St. Mary)
LONGFORD (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Newport, Newport division of the hundred of South Bradford, N. division of Salop, 1¼ mile (W. by S.) from Newport; containing, with the townships of Brockton and Stockton, 209 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £6. 2. 8½., and in the gift of R. M. Leeke, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for £144, and the glebe comprises 52½ acres.
Longham (St. Peter)
LONGHAM (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Mitford and Launditch, hundred of Launditch, W. division of Norfolk, 5 miles (N. W. by W.) from East Dereham; containing 333 inhabitants. It comprises 1304a. 1r. 23p., of which 1045 acres are arable, 200 pasture, and 34 woodland: 300 acres of common were inclosed in 1814. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £30; patron and impropriator, the Earl of Leicester, whose tithes have been commuted for £285. The church is chiefly in the later English style, with an embattled tower, and contains some remains of a richlycarved screen separating the nave from the chancel. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. Some traces of a Roman road exist, in removing part of which, in 1816, numerous skeletons were discovered.
LONGHAM, a hamlet, in the parish of Hampreston, union of Wimborne and Cranborne, partly within the liberty of Westover, S. division of Hants, but chiefly in the hundred of Cranborne, Wimborne division of Dorset; containing 519 inhabitants.
LONGHIRST, a township, in the parish of Bothal, union of Morpeth, E. division of Morpeth ward, N. division of Northumberland, 3 miles (N. E.) from Morpeth; containing 210 inhabitants. The township is the property of the Duke of Portland and the Lawson family, and comprises 1702a. 2r. 34p., having chiefly a strong clayey soil, of which 1186 acres are in tillage, 420 in grass, and 96 covered with wood. The surface is flat, but is embellished with a little old wood and nearly 100 acres of plantations made by Wm. Lawson, Esq., and the district is rendered interesting from its containing that gentleman's handsome seat, called Longhirst House. This mansion, of which the first stone was laid in 1824, was erected under the direction of the present proprietor, Mr. Dobson being the architect, and is a highlyfinished edifice in the Grecian style, presenting many excellent architectural features, and containing spacious apartments; the gardens are on the east, well sheltered, and have the Bothal burn running through them. A good sandstone-quarry is wrought in the township by Mr. Lawson, who also possesses a seam of coal, which is worked by drifting, for consumption on the spot; there is likewise a shed for the manufacture of drainingtiles. The tithes have been commuted for £251.
Longhope, Upper and Lower (All Saints)
LONGHOPE, UPPER and LOWER (All Saints), in the union of Westbury, duchy of Lancaster, W. division of the county of Gloucester, 5 miles (S. W. by S.) from Newent; containing 929 inhabitants. This parish comprises 2835 acres, of which 459 are common or waste. May Hill, within its limits, forms a landmark from the Bristol Channel. The living is a discharged vicarage, endowed with the rectorial tithes, valued in the king's books at £9. 7. 11½., and in the gift of the Archdeacon of Llandaff and the Rev. John Probyn: the tithes have been commuted for £396. 17., and the glebe comprises 17 acres, with a house. Here is a place of worship for Wesleyans.
Longney (St. Lawrence)
LONGNEY (St. Lawrence), a parish, in the union of Wheatenhurst, Upper division of the hundred of Whitstone, E. division of the county of Gloucester, 6 miles (S. W. by W.) from Gloucester; containing 490 inhabitants. It is bounded on the west by the navigable river Severn, and comprises 1440 acres, a considerable portion consisting of orchard grounds, for which the parish is noted. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £12. 1. 8., and in the patronage of the Crown; net income, £100; impropriators, the Trustees of certain charities. The tithes were commuted for land and corn-rents in 1812.