A Topographical Dictionary of England. Originally published by S Lewis, London, 1848.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
LONGNOR, a parish, in the union of ChurchStretton, hundred of Condover, S. division of Salop, 8 miles (S.) from Shrewsbury; containing 243 inhabitants, and comprising about 800 acres. The living is a perpetual curacy, united to that of Lee-Botwood. The church was a free chapel belonging to the abbey of Haughmond, and was purchased of the crown's vendees soon after the Dissolution, by the then proprietor of Longnor Hall. A school was endowed in 1774, with the interest of £200, by Sir Richard Corbett, Bart., who left other bequests for the benefit of the poor. This is the birthplace of the Rev. Samuel Lee, the eminent selftaught linguist, and professor of Arabic in the University of Cambridge.
LONGNOR, a market-town, township, and chapelry, in the parish of Alstonfield, union of Leek, N. division of the hundred of Totmonslow and of the county of Stafford, 10 miles (N. E.) from Leek, and 162 (N. N. W.) from London; the township containing 485 inhabitants. The town is situated in the most northern part of the county, near the source of the Manifold river; and here a small canal terminates, which commences in the parish of Sheen, where it joins the Manifold. The market is on Tuesday; fairs are held on the Tuesday before Feb. 13th, Easter-Tuesday, May 4th and 17th, Whit-Tuesday, and a cheese-fair on November 12th. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £150; patron, the Vicar of Alstonfield; impropriators, the family of Crewe. The chapel, which is dedicated to St. Giles, is a neat edifice of stone, with a lofty pinnacled tower; in the cemetery is a tombstone to the memory of W. Billinge, a native of Fairfield, who, after long military service, died in 1791, at the age of 112 years. At Hollinsclough, Reaps-Moor, and Newtown are chapels of ease, erected by the late Sir George Crewe, Bart., and in which divine service is performed by the bishop's licence; attached to each chapel is a school. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans; and a small school at Longnor is endowed with about £6 per annum.
Longparish (St. Nicholas)
LONGPARISH (St. Nicholas), a parish, in the union of Andover, hundred of Wherwell, Andover and N. divisions of the county of Southampton, 4 miles (S. W.) from Whitchurch; containing 811 inhabitants, and including the tithings of East and West Aston, Forton, and Middleton. It is intersected by the river Test, and comprises 4987a. 1r. 31p., of which about 3206 acres are arable, 1500 woods, and the remainder pasture and meadow; the surface is flat, and the soil gravelly. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £8; net income, £226; patron and impropriator, the Rev. Dr. Woodcock. There is a place of worship for Baptists.
LONGPORT, commonly styled a borough, in the parish of St. Paul, Canterbury, but partly in the hundred of Westgate, lathe of St. Augustine, E. division of the county of Kent, contiguous to the eastern side of the city of Canterbury.
LONGPORT, a considerable village, in the township and parish of Burslem, union and borough of Stokeupon-Trent, N. division of the hundred of Pirehill and of the county of Stafford. This place, which adjoins Burslem on the west, was anciently called Longbridge, from a number of stepping-stones forming a causeway across the meadows; but after the construction of the Trent and Mersey canal, which passes through the village, the name was changed to Longport. The district is a member of the Staffordshire Potteries, having very considerable manufactories for earthenware, china, and flint-glass, the principal of which are carried on by Messrs. Davenport. On the banks of the canal are several wharfs. The church of St. Paul, Burslem, stands on rising ground near Longport; and the Wesleyans have a place of worship, as have also the Methodists of the New Connexion.
LONGRIDGE, a township, in the parish of Norham, Norhamshire, union of Berwick-upon-Tweed, N. division of Northumberland, 4 miles (S. W.) from Berwick; containing 68 inhabitants. It is situated on the road between Berwick and Cornhill, and not far from the river Tweed, which separates England from Scotland. The township comprises about 470 acres of land. The tithes have been commuted for £122. 19. 6., payable to the Dean and Chapter of Durham.
LONGRIDGE, a parochial chapelry, in the parish of Ribchester, union of Preston, Lower division of the hundred of Blackburn, N. division of the county of Lancaster, 7 miles (N. E.) from Preston; containing 1752 inhabitants. The chapelry comprises 3215 acres, whereof 1989 are in Alston township, and 1226 in Dilworth township; it is chiefly meadow and pasture land, and cultivation has been carried by human industry even to the elevated region of Longridge Fell. There are fine views of Pendle hill, the Yorkshire range, Whalley, Billington Fells, Preston, the vale of the Ribble, Lytham, Southport, Morecambe bay, &c. On Tootle Height are the celebrated "Delphs," quarries of valuable stone, affording employment to several hundred masons and others, and which have supplied stone for great works at Liverpool, Preston, and Fleetwood, for Fulwood barracks, and other considerable public buildings. Weaving by hand-loom is carried on. The river Ribble passes on the east, and the road from Clitheroe to Preston runs through the chapelry; there is also a railway to Preston, seven miles long, and on a slope the whole way, for the conveyance of the stone. A festival, or guild, is held on St. Lawrence's day; and fairs on March 16th, April 16th, the Monday preceding HolyThursday, and Nov. 5th, for cattle, pedlery, &c. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £160, with a house; patrons, the Trustees of the estates of William Hulme. The church, dedicated to St. Lawrence, and in the early English style, was erected in 1716, and enlarged in 1783; a square tower was added in 1841. Schools are supported by subscription, and there is a Roman Catholic chapel. Here was an hospital for a master and brethren, dedicated to the Virgin Mary and Our Saviour.—See Alston and Dilworth.
LONGSDON, a township, in the parish and union of Leek, N. division of the hundred of Totmonslow and of the county of Stafford, 1¾ mile (W. by S.) from Leek; containing 405 inhabitants. This is a township of scattered houses, and includes the lofty ridge called Ladder-Edge.
LONGSHAWS, a township, in the parish of Long Horsley, union of Morpeth, W. division of Morpeth ward, N. division of the county of Northumberland, 5½ miles (W. N. W.) from Morpeth; containing 48 inhabitants. In the 13th of Henry VI., Richard Thornton and others had a grant of free warren here: the estate is now, and has been for several centuries, the property of the Fenwick family. The township comprises about 670 acres, and is situated on the left bank of the Font, which at this place is finely adorned with oak wood: the land consists of two farms; the soil is poor and clayey. There are some remains of the ancient residence of the Fenwicks.
LONGSIGHT, a village, in the parish of Manchester, hundred of Salford, S. division of Lancashire, 2 miles (S. E.) of Manchester, on the road to Stockport. It has a station on the Manchester and Birmingham railway. St. John's church, here, erected by the Manchester and Eccles Church-Building Society, was consecrated in June, 1846; it is in the early English style, contains some fine stained glass, and cost £4000. The Marshall family were large contributors. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the gift of Trustees.
Longstock (St. Mary)
LONGSTOCK (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Stockbridge, hundred of King's Sombourn, Andover and N. divisions of the county of Southampton, 1 mile (N.) from Stockbridge; containing 497 inhabitants. It comprises nearly 2000 acres, chiefly arable land. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £10. 15.; patron and impropriator, the Rev. Sir John Barker Mill, Bart. The great tithes have been commuted for £433, and the incumbent's for £315; the glebe contains 2 acres.
LONGSTONE, GREAT, a chapelry, in the parish and union of Bakewell, hundred of High Peak, N. division of the county of Derby, 3 miles (N. N. W.) from Bakewell; containing 521 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £150; patron, the Vicar of Bakewell; appropriators, the Dean and Chapter of Lichfield. The vicarial tithes of Great and Little Longstone were commuted for land in 1810. The chapel, which is dedicated to St. Giles, contains monuments to the family of Eyre, earls of Newburgh. A school is partly supported by an endowment of £20 per annum.
LONGSTONE, LITTLE, a township, in the parish and union of Bakewell, hundred of High Peak, N. division of the county of Derby, 3½ miles (N. W. by N.) from Bakewell; containing 174 inhabitants.
Longstow, Cambridge.—See Stow, Long
LONGSTOW, Cambridge.—See Stow, Long.
LONGTHORP, a chapelry, in the parish of St. John the Baptist, Peterborough, union and soke of Peterborough, N. division of the county of Northampton, 2 miles (W.) from the city of Peterborough; containing 251 inhabitants. The chapel is dedicated to St. John the Baptist.
LONGTON, a chapelry, in the parish of Penwortham, union of Preston, hundred of Leyland, N. division of Lancashire, 5 miles (S. W. by W.) from Preston; containing 1719 inhabitants. This was one of the manors granted by Roger de Lacy, on obtaining the barony of Penwortham, to Robert, the brother of Hugh, last baron of the name of Bussel. In the 46th of Edward III., a portion of the manor belonged to the Lees, from whom it afterwards passed to the Flemings; and in the 9th of Henry IV., Sir Thomas Fleming gave to Henry de Bretherton and his heirs the whole lordship of Longton. The estate afterwards reverted to the Flemings, whose heiress, Elizabeth, in the reign of Henry VIII. married Thurstan Hall. The chapelry comprises 3132 acres, of which 146 are common or waste land; its length from east to west, is much greater than its breadth, and there is a long and considerable village, through which passes the road from Preston to Ormskirk: the Ribble flows on the west. Longton Hall, built in the 17th century, is now a farmhouse. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £148; patron, L. Rawstorne, Esq. The tithes have been commuted for £328 payable to the impropriator, and £8 to the curate of Penwortham. The chapel was in existence in 1650, and, having fallen into decay, was rebuilt in 1770, by a brief, dated in 1767, amounting to £1026. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. A free school was endowed in 1793, by Robert Moss, with a bequest of £400; it is further aided by the trustees of Hutton school: the present schoolroom was built by subscription in 1817.
Longton, with Lane-End
LONGTON, with Lane-End, a market-town and district parish, in the parish and union of Stoke-uponTrent, N. division of the hundred of Pirehill and of the county of Stafford, 4 miles (E. S. E.) from Newcastle-under-Lyme, 14 (N.) from Stafford, and 150 (N. W. by N.) from London; containing 12,407 inhabitants, of whom 1690 are in Lane-End. This place, which is situated at the southern extremity of the district called "The Potteries," and on the road between Newcastle and Uttoxeter, has risen to opulence and importance, in consequence of the flourishing state of the earthenware and china manufacture established here within the last half century. It consists of spacious and wellbuilt streets, and is supplied with water from several springs on an eminence about a mile to the southeast, where a large reservoir has been formed by the Duke of Sutherland. A subscription library was established in 1807, and a newsroom was opened in 1833. Coal and ironstone are found in abundance, with manganese, and coloured marl and clay; and there are extensive collieries throughout the whole of Longton, and in the vicinity. About 900 persons are engaged in the potteries, and 300 in the collieries. The Trent and Mersey canal, to which the district parish extends, passes about two miles westward of the town, with which it is connected by a horse-railway. The market is held on Saturday, for provisions, the supply of which is very good; and there are fairs for woollen-cloth, hardware, and pedlery, on February 14th, May 29th, July 22nd, and November 1st. The town had formerly two market-places; one at the upper part, called the Union market-place, but never generally used; and the other at the lower part of the town, which has been enlarged, and over the covered portion of which, a handsome public room has been erected. The area of the district parish is 1900 acres.
By an act of parliament relating to the rectory of Stoke, passed in 1827, provision was made for endowing a new church at Longton, with not less than £10,000, nor more than £15,000, at the option of the patron of Stoke rectory, from the proceeds of tithes to be sold and invested in lands. Dr. Woodhouse, the late rector, likewise gave £1000 (with its accumulations until appropriated) towards providing a parsonage-house, besides allotting to national schools at Lane-End and Longton a portion of the yearly income arising from his munificent donation of £3000 to national schools in the parish of Stoke. The church was erected in 1834, by the Parliamentary Commissioners, at an expense of £9633; it is in the later English style, with a tower, is dedicated to St. James, and will accommodate more than 1900 persons. The living has been endowed, and made a district rectory, conformably with the act of parliament; patron, the Executor of the late John Carey, Esq. The chapel at Lane-End, a neat brick edifice with a tower, built about 1760 by Mr. John Bourne, has been enlarged, and now contains 1200 sittings, including 450 free sittings, for which the Incorporated Society granted £800: the living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £154; patrons, certain Trustees appointed under an act obtained in 1792. A church district named Edensor was formed in 1846, by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners: the living is in the gift of the Crown and the Bishop of Lichfield, alternately. There are places of worship for Baptists, Independents, Calvinistic Methodists, Methodists of the New Connexion, Wesleyans, and other dissenters; also a Roman Catholic chapel. A charity school was founded in 1760, and endowed by Mr. Bourne with property producing £66 per annum, which sum is applied towards the support of a national school. Attached to the chapel of Lane-End is another national school, supported almost entirely by subscription; and there are schools attached to some of the dissenters' places of worship.
LONGTOWN, a market-town, and the head of a union, in the parish of Arthuret, Eskdale ward, E. division of Cumberland, 8½ miles (N. by W.) from Carlisle, and 309 (N. N. W.) from London; containing 1990 inhabitants. This place is eminently indebted to the liberality and public spirit of the late Dr. Graham, who was mainly instrumental in raising it from the state of a poor village to its present condition. It is a small town on the south bank of the river Eske, over which is a stone bridge, near the junction of that river with the Liddel. The situation is pleasant and healthy, the houses are neatly built, the streets spacious, and the inhabitants are supplied with water from wells. Many of the lower class are employed in weaving for the manufacturers at Carlisle. The original market, held on Thursday, is almost disused, except for provisions; but there is another on Monday, principally for bacon and butter. A fair takes place on the Thursday before Whit-Sunday, for horses; and statute-fairs on the Thursday in Whitsun-week, and the Thursday in Martinmas, for hiring servants. The county magistrates hold a meeting on the last Thursday in every month; courts leet and baron are held at Easter and Michaelmas, and at the former court constables are appointed. There is a place of worship for Presbyterians. The poorlaw union of Longtown comprises 14 parishes or places, and contains a population of 9722.
LONGTOWN, a chapelry, in the parish of Clodock, union of Dore, hundred of Ewyaslacy, county of Hereford, 17 miles (S. W. by W.) from Hereford; containing 869 inhabitants. The chapelry is situated near the eastern base of the Black mountains, and not very distant from the junction of the Eskley and Olchon with the river Munnow; it contains 6104 acres, of which 307 are common or waste. Courts baron for the parish and hundred are held here annually. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £68; patron, the Vicar of Clodock; impropriator, Sir V. Cornewall, Bart. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for £279, and the vicarial for £119. The chapel is dedicated to St. Peter. There are some vestiges of a castle; and eastward is an eminence called Money-Farthing Hill.
Longwathby (St. Peter)
LONGWATHBY (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Penrith, Leath ward, E. division of Cumberland, 4¾ miles (N. E. by E.) from Penrith; containing 273 inhabitants. The parish is separated from that of Edenhall, by the river Eden, over which is a bridge of three lofty arches, built in 1686. It comprises 1987a. 1r. 13p., whereof 844 acres are meadow and pasture, 74 old grassland, 490 arable, 24 wood, and the remainder common and waste. The village is situated on the road from Penrith to Newcastle, viâ Alston-Moor and Hexham. The living is annexed to that of Edenhall; appropriators, the Dean and Chapter of Carlisle. The church was erected by subscription, in 1718, on the site of a more ancient edifice, and was thoroughly repaired in 1835.