A Topographical Dictionary of England. Originally published by S Lewis, London, 1848.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
ESSINGTON, a township, in the parish of Bushbury, union of Penkridge, E. division of the hundred of Cuttlestone, S. division of the county of Stafford, 5¼ miles (N. E.) from Wolverhampton; containing 623 inhabitants. It comprises by measurement 2973 acres, mostly arable land. Coal is wrought, and bricks are manufactured. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for £411. 4., and the vicarial for £30. 3. 5. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. Here may be traced some remains of an ancient residence of the De Essingtons, who were seated in the township.
ESTON-in-Cleveland, a chapelry, in the parish of Ormesby, union of Guisborough, E. division of the liberty of Langbaurgh, N. riding of York, 5½ miles (W. N. W.) from Guisborough; containing 285 inhabitants. This place, in Domesday book Astune, was one of the manors granted at an early period to the Meinells of Whorlton Castle, and was held by the archbishop of Canterbury, by the service of Pantler on the day of his consecration: the families of Conyers and Stapylton afterwards possessed the property; and at one period some of the lands were owned by the monks of Guisborough and of Fountains. The chapelry comprises by computation 1870 acres. The village, situated on the Stockton and Redcar road, lies at the base of a detached hill of considerable elevation, called Eston Moor, which terminates in a bold promontory called Eston Nab, where a telegraphic beacon, or watch-house, has been erected. On the summit of the promontory is an encampment, conjectured to be of Saxon origin, of the date 492, and coeval with the battle of Badon Hill, which was fought in the neighbourhood. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Ormesby: a rent-charge of £320. 15. is payable to the Archbishop of York. The chapel is a very ancient edifice.
ETALL, a township, in the parish of Ford, union of Glendale, W. division of Glendale ward, county of Northumberland, 10½ miles (N. N. W.) from Wooler. A castle was erected at this place in the 1st of Edward I., by Sir Robert Manners, which James IV., before the battle of Flodden, captured and destroyed; it was rebuilt, but is now in ruins.
ETCHELLS, a township, in the parish of Northen, union of Altrincham, hundred of Macclesfield, N. division of the county of Chester, 5½ miles (S. W.) from Stockport; containing 727 inhabitants. The manor was anciently in the Stockports, from whom it passed by female heirs to the Aldernes and Stanleys; and on the attainder of Sir William Stanley, it became vested in the crown: after some temporary grants, it was sold by King Philip and Queen Mary to Robert Tatton, ancestor of Wilbraham Egerton, Esq. The township lies west of the road from Cheadle to Wilmslow, and comprises 2221 acres, of a sandy and clayey soil. The tithes have been commuted for £213. 6. 5., payable to the rector of Northen. There is a small free school.
ETCHELLS, a township, in the parish and union of Stockport, hundred of Macclesfield, N. division of the county of Chester, 3¾ miles (W. S. W.) from Stockport; containing 749 inhabitants. The manor passed with Etchells, in Northen parish, and became the property of the Tatton family. The township lies on the road from Stockport to Altrincham, and comprises 1470 acres, the soil of which is sand and clay. The tithes have been commuted for £140, payable to the rector of Stockport.
ETCHILHAMPTON, a chapelry, in the parish of Allcannings, union of Devizes, hundred of Swanborough, Devizes and N. divisions of Wilts, 3 miles (E. S. E.) from Devizes; containing 282 inhabitants, and comprising 917a. 3r. 12p. The village is pleasantly situated at the base of a small hill in the vale of Pewsey: stone of a white colour, very soft, is quarried. The river Avon, which runs by Salisbury into the English Channel, has its source near this place; and a branch of a more important river of the same name (the Bristol Avon) rises close to the former. The chapel, dedicated to St. Andrew, is in the later English style, and contains some monuments, which, from their antiquity, would induce an opinion that the present edifice is a re-construction of the original building; among these is one having the figures of a knight and his lady, in the costume of the reign of Edward III., with twelve figures erect, well sculptured in freestone, and in good preservation.
ETCHINGHAM, a parish, in the union of Ticehurst, hundred of Henhurst, rape of Hastings, E. division of Sussex, 8 miles (S. by E.) from Lamberhurst; containing 820 inhabitants. The parish comprises 3250 acres, of which 50 are common land or waste; the road from Lewes to Cranbrook passes through it, and it is intersected by the river Rother. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £11, and in the gift of the Trustees of the late W. Cheslow, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for £610, and the glebe comprises 14 acres. The church is partly in the decorated and partly in the later English style, with a central tower: in the chancel are nine ancient stalls on each side, with a screen; also several brasses to the memory of the Echyngham family.
ETHERLEY, an ecclesiastical district, in the chapelry of St. Helen Auckland, parish of St. Andrew Auckland, N. W. division of Darlington ward, S. division of the county of Durham, 3½ miles (S. W.) from Bishop-Auckland. This is a newly-assigned district, for which a church was lately consecrated: the living is a perpetual curacy, in the gift of the Bishop of Durham, and has been endowed with £130 per annum out of the property of the see.
Eton (St. Mary and St. Nicholas)
ETON (St. Mary and St. Nicholas), a parish, and the head of a union, in the hundred of Stoke, county of Buckingham; containing 3609 inhabitants. This place, which is chiefly distinguished for its public school, is pleasantly situated in a valley on the north bank of the river Thames, by which it is separated from Windsor, and over which is a neat iron bridge supported on piers of stone. The village consists principally of one street, well paved and lighted by means of a highway rate, and is supplied with water by a company whose works also supply the town and castle of Windsor; the houses are in general neatly built, and there are several boardinghouses for the accommodation of those students who do not reside in the college. No particular branch of trade is carried on. A little to the north is the Slough station of the Great Western railway; it is 18 miles distant from the Paddington terminus in London. A fair is held on Ash-Wednesday, for horses and cattle.
The site on which the college stands is said to be extra-parochial, but the usual rites and ceremonies of the church were formerly conducted for the benefit of the parishioners, in the collegiate church. The college was originally founded by Henry VI., in 1440, for a provost, ten priests, six clerks, six choristers, twenty-five poor grammar scholars, with a master to instruct them, and twenty-five almsmen; and was directed to be called "The College Roiall of Our Ladie of Eton, beside Windesor." Though deprived of part of its endowment by Edward IV., it was especially exempted in the act of Dissolution, at which time its revenue was estimated at £1101. 13. 7. The present establishment consists of a provost, vice-provost, six fellows, two masters, with assistants, seven clerks, seventy king's scholars, ten choristers, and inferior officers and servants; and the number of independent scholars, the sons of noblemen and gentlemen, is generally from 300 to 400. Scholars on the foundation are entitled to fellowships and scholarships in King's College, Cambridge, for which purpose there is an annual election, but they are not removed until vacancies occur; they then succeed according to seniority, and on three years' residence at Cambridge are entitled to a fellowship. For those who do not succeed in obtaining an election to King's College, there are two scholarships founded in Merton College, Oxford, in 1582, by the Rev. John Chamber, and augmented in 1754 by the Rev. George Vernon, of which one is in the patronage of the provost of Eton, and the other in that of the provost of King's College; also three exhibitions, of £20 each per annum, founded in Pembroke College, Oxford, by the Rev. Francis Rouse, provost of Eton, with preference to his relatives; two scholarships, one of £48, and one of £42, for superannuated "collegers," in the gift of the provost; and one of £42 per annum for an actual scholar of King's College, in the patronage of the head master of Eton, founded by Provost Davies; three exhibitions, founded in Exeter College by the Rev. Dr. John Reynolds, in the patronage of the provost and fellows of Eton; and one layfellowship and one scholarship, of £6 per annum each, in Catherine Hall, Cambridge, for scholars of Eton or Merchant Tailors' school. The Rev. Mr. Chamberlayne, fellow of Eton, bequeathed an estate in Norfolk, producing a rent of £87, for founding scholarships for superannuated collegers; and Mr. Bryant left £30 per annum, for one or more additional scholarships, at the discretion of the provost.
The buildings comprise two spacious quadrangles, communicating by an ancient tower-gateway of great beauty. In the centre of the outer quadrangle is a bronze statue of the royal founder: on the south side are, the chapel, an elegant structure in the later English style, strengthened with enriched buttresses, and ornamented with a pierced parapet and pinnacles; and the school, divided into the upper and lower school (each of which is in three classes); besides lodgings for the masters and scholars on the foundation. The inner quadrangle comprises apartments for the provost and fellows, and the library, a handsome building, containing one of the best collections in Europe, having been augmented with numerous magnificent contributions from various benefactors: some very valuable paintings, drawings, and oriental manuscripts, enrich this depository of rare and curious productions. In the provost's apartments is a portrait, on panel, of Jane Shore, said to be an original. The foundation stone of the new buildings was laid by Prince Albert, June 20th, 1844. These buildings, which are in the Elizabethan style, occupy the site of the wash-houses and stables of the provost and fellows, immediately contiguous to the provost's lodge, and present a front upwards of 120 feet in length. In addition to two extensive apartments for the library of the upper boys, and to be also used as examination-rooms for prizes and scholarships, there are 48 single rooms, appropriated to the upper and elder boys on the foundation, and likewise a large apartment for the use of the sixth form, and another for the use of the first six boys of the fifth form, when not engaged in their private studies. These additions cost upwards of £20,000; and £4000 more have been expended in effecting a complete drainage of the precincts. A new burial-ground was consecrated in April 1846. The grounds for recreation and exercise, on the north-west side of the college, are extensive, and beautifully shaded by a lengthened avenue of stately trees; and the bounds of the college are marked by stones set up in various places. To mention the many eminent characters this noble institution has produced, would be to enumerate a very considerable portion of the most distinguished names which history has recorded in the proud list of British heroes, statesmen, scholars, and divines.
A custom, designated the Montem, was until very lately triennially observed by the scholars, on WhitTuesday. Though its origin is involved in obscurity, it certainly existed in the reign of Elizabeth, and, most probably, from the very foundation of the college, as it is included in the list presented to the queen, when on a visit here, "of the ceremonies observed from the foundation." The chief object of the ceremony was to collect "salt-money," and by the procession advancing to a small tumulus, on the south side of the Bath road, the spot acquired the name of Salt Hill. The scholars appointed to collect the money were called "salt-bearers," and were arrayed in silk of various colours, and assisted by "scouts," also dressed in silk, of less striking appearance. Immense numbers of people assembled to witness the procession, and scholars were placed on all the neighbouring roads to levy money, which, as the custom was viewed as an innocent diversion, attended with a positive benefit, nearly the whole neighbourhood made a point of offering. The sum collected frequently exceeded £1000, and, after deducting the necessary expenses of the day, was given to the senior scholar, called the Captain of the school, on his removal to Cambridge.
The parish comprises 771 acres, of which 35 are waste land or common. The living is a rectory, held by the provost of the college, whose tithes have been commuted for £245: the church is collegiate, and was frequented by the parishioners prior to the erection of a neat chapel in the centre of the town, by Mr. Hetherington, late fellow of the college, for the accommodation of the inhabitants. A charity school was founded in 1790, by Mark Anthony Porny, originally French master at the college, and afterwards one of the Poor Knights of Windsor, who endowed it with the residue of his estate, about £7000; from which fund the present school-house was built on ground belonging to the college, at an expense of £1723. The bridge is maintained by the rents of seven houses in High-street, amounting to £196. 18., which property was purchased with money granted by letters-patent of Elizabeth, in 1592, for that purpose. An almshouse for 10 widows was founded by Dr. Henry Godolphin, provost of the college, in 1714: an annual income of about £120 is appropriated to the apprenticing of children, arising from bequests by Dr. Davies, provost, and others; and there are other charitable gifts for the benefit of the poor. The union of Eton consists of 19 parishes or places, which contain 20,247 inhabitants. William Oughtred, an eminent mathematician, is stated to have been born here, in 1573.
ETRURIA, a village, in the parish of Shelton, borough and union of Stoke-upon-Trent, N. division of the hundred of Pirehill and of the county of Stafford, 1½ mile (N. E.) from Newcastle. The classical name of this place was given to it by its late celebrated founder, Josiah Wedgwood, who established here the well-known Wedgwood-ware potteries, in 1769, and called the village after the seat of the ancient fictile art in Italy, Etruria, where a colony of Phœnician potters settled about 1000 years before the birth of Christ. On the formation of the Trent and Mersey canal, this spot was chosen by Mr. Wedgwood, who erected an entire village for his workmen and dependants, and a mansion on a neighbouring eminence for his own residence, which is now occupied by his grandson, Mr. F. Wedgwood, by whom, and his partner, Mr. Boyle, the manufacture is carried on. Mr. Wedgwood died here in 1795. Coal and ironstone abound; and there are extensive wharfs and warehouses for canal traffic. The road from Leek to Newcastle passes through. In 1844, a church district was formed and endowed by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners; and a church has since been erected, of brick and stone, in the Mæso-Gothic style: the living is in the gift of the Crown and the Bishop of Lichfield, alternately; income, £150. A small episcopal chapel, also, for the use of the boatmen, has been lately built by local subscription, aided by a grant from a society, and a handsome contribution from the Canal Company. There are places of worship for Wesleyans, and Methodists of the New Connexion; and the North Staffordshire Infirmary, affording accommodation for 100 patients, besides dispensing vast out-door relief, is situated near Etruria.
ETTERBY, a township, in the parish of Stanwix, union of Carlisle, Eskdale ward, E. division of Cumberland, 1¼ mile (N. W.) from Carlisle; containing 152 inhabitants. It is said that the British King Arthur was entertained here in 550, when carrying his victorious arms against the Danes and Norwegians.
ETTINGSALL, an ecclesiastical district, partly in the parish of Sedgley, union of Dudley, and partly in the parish and union of Wolverhampton, N. division of the hundred of Seisdon, S. division of the county of Stafford, 1 mile (W. S. W.) from Bilston; containing 4889 inhabitants. This place was anciently a park; but its appearance has long been altered, from the working of extensive coal and iron mines, and quarries of limestone, all which produce abundantly. The village is scattered. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Bishop of Lichfield; net income, £150, with a parsonage-house. The church is at Catchem's Corner, in the midst of a mining population; it is dedicated to the Trinity, is a neat structure with a tower, of framed timber and brick, and cost £2000: the sittings, with the exception of four pews, are free. The Wesleyans have two places of worship; and there are a national, and an infant school.
Etton (St. Stephen)
ETTON (St. Stephen), a parish, in the union and soke of Peterborough, N. division of the county of Northampton, 3 miles (S.) from Market-Deeping; containing 118 inhabitants, and comprising 1500 acres. This place is celebrated for its castle of Woodcroft, said to have been the scene of the murder of Dr. Hudson, chaplain of Charles I., who was forced over the battlements by the parliamentarian forces stationed here, who, hacking with their swords the hands by which he endeavoured to cling to the walls, caused him to fall into the moat beneath, where he was instantly put to death. The castle has been restored by Earl Fitzwilliam; the tower from which Dr. Hudson was thrown, and the moat in which he was killed, are still entire. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £9. 9. 9½., and in the gift of the Earl: the tithes were commuted at the inclosure of the parish, for 200 acres of land, valued at £350 per annum.
Etton (St. Mary)
ETTON (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Beverley, Hunsley-Beacon division of the wapentake of Harthill, E. riding of York, 4 miles (N. W. by W.) from Beverley; containing 425 inhabitants. The parish comprises by computation 3700 acres, of which 45 are wood, 150 rich pasture-land, and the remainder arable; the soil is mostly of a chalky quality, and the surface level. The village is situated in a pleasant valley on the Malton road. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £20. 9. 4½.; net income, £853; patron and appropriator, the Archbishop of York; the tithes were commuted for corn-rents, under an inclosure act, in 1818, and there are 40 acres of glebe. The church is in the early English style, with a square tower, and fine western porch.
Etwall (St. Helen)
ETWALL (St. Helen), a parish, in the union of Burton-upon-Trent, hundred of Appletree, S. division of the county of Derby; containing, with the townships of Bearwardcoat and Burnaston, 689 inhabitants, of whom 510 are in the township of Etwall, 6 miles (W. S. W.) from Derby. The manor belonged to Welbeck Abbey, Nottinghamshire, in the reign of Stephen. It was given by Henry VIII., in 1540, to Sir John Port, Knt., one of the justices of the king's bench; and came by marriage to the Gerards, who sold the estate, in 1641, to Sir Edward Moseley, Bart. Of the last-named it was purchased, in 1646, by Sir Samuel Sleigh, whose heiress brought it to the Cotton family. The parish comprises 3289 acres of land; more than two-thirds are pasture, and principally occupied in dairy-farms: the surface is undulated, the soil loamy, and the scenery of pleasing character. The road from Uttoxeter to Derby passes through the village, which is large and well built. The Hall, the ancient seat of the Ports, and subsequently of the Cottons, of whom was Major-General Cotton, lately deceased, is a venerable mansion of brick, faced with stone, and contains many splendid apartments; in the picture-gallery are some exquisite carvings in wood, and several of the rooms contain paintings representing members of the Cotton family. It is now the property of the Rev. Charles Evelyn Cotton, who is lord of the manors of Etwall and Burnaston.
The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £8; net income, £342; patron, William Eaton Mousley, Esq.; impropriator, William Thomas Cox, Esq. The church is an ancient structure with a tower, in the Norman and early English styles, with later additions, and has a nave, chancel, and north aisle, and a spacious gallery at the west end: there are monuments to Sir John Port and his wives; the tomb of Henry Port, dated 1512, with figures of his wife and seventeen children, in brass; and tablets to the Cottons and others. The Wesleyans have a place of worship. In 1566 Sir John Port devised lands for the foundation and endowment of an almshouse or hospital at this place, and a grammar school at Repton, which see; the hospital stands on the north side of the church, and admits sixteen almsmen, of whom four have 16s. per week each, two 15s. 6d., six 12s., and the remaining four 10s. The vicar of Etwall, as has been the case with former vicars, is master of the hospital, and reads prayers every morning to the almsmen and parishioners; his salary, increased in consequence of the improved value of the estates, is £200 per annum.
Euston (St. Genevieve)
EUSTON (St. Genevieve), a parish, in the union of Thetford, hundred of Blackbourn, W. division of Suffolk, 3½ miles (S. E. by S.) from Thetford; containing, with Rymer, extra-parochial, and the merged parish of Little Fakenham, 270 inhabitants. This parish comprises 3780a. 3r. 15p.; the surface is varied, and the surrounding scenery of pleasing character. Euston Hall, the seat of the Duke of Grafton, is a handsome mansion, with a park tastefully arranged, in which is the church, forming an interesting feature in the demesne. The living is a rectory, with the living of Barnham St. Gregory and St. Martin united, valued in the king's books at £13. 7. 11., and in the gift of the Duke: the tithes of this parish have been commuted for £273. 10., and the glebe comprises 2 acres. The church, a handsome edifice with a tower, was erected in the reign of Charles II., by Lord Henry Arlington, to whom there is a monument; it also contains several memorials to the Fitzroy family, whose place of sepulture it is, and some slabs with ancient brasses. The parish gives the inferior title of Earl to the Duke of Grafton.
EUXTON, a chapelry, in the parish and hundred of Leyland, union of Chorley, N. division of Lancashire, 2 miles (W. N. W.) from Chorley; containing 1562 inhabitants. This place was anciently possessed in succession, in whole or in part, by various families, among whom were the barons of Penwortham, the Lacys, Holands, Andertons, Ffaringtons, and Molyneuxs, and subsequently the Longworths, of Liverpool. The manorial rights are now vested in George Johnson Wainwright, Esq., of Runshaw Hall, who owns a large portion of the soil. The township lies on the road between Wigan and Preston, adjoins the township of Leyland on the south, and comprises 1888 acres of land; the surface is rather varied, and the scenery includes views of Rivington Pike, Chorley, &c. There are good stone-quarries, and a cotton-mill employing about 400 persons. The river Yarrow separates the township from Charnock-Richard, and the Bolton and Preston railway and North-Union railway have stations here. Euxton Hall was originally erected in the reign of Henry VIII.; the old mansion was pulled down, and the present built about 1739. Over the portal, and also on two old chimneypieces in the house, are to be seen the arms of the Molyneuxs and Andertons quartered; William Anderton, Esq., having married Mary, daughter of the fifth viscount Molyneux. The ceilings of the entrance-hall and staircase, richly ornamented by Concillio, are in good preservation, and the mansion has been considerably altered and enlarged by William Ince Anderton, Esq., the present possessor.
The living is a perpetual curacy, with a net income of £150, and a house built in 1840; patrons, the Heirs of the Rev. J. Armetriding; impropriator, Mr. Anderton. The chapel was erected in 1513, was rebuilt in 1710, and enlarged in 1837. The Wesleyans have a place of worship; and attached to Euxton Hall is a Roman Catholic chapel, built by the Anderton family in the last century, and re-edified in 1818. A school is endowed with property producing £26 per annum. A Roman Catholic school-house was built in 1846. Spout, in the township, was formerly the residence of the Bushells; and GleadHill House, now the residence of Peter Priestly, Esq., and Armetriding House, both existed in 1684. On the 14th of August, 1650, Charles II. honoured Euxton Hall with a visit.
Eval, St. (St. Eval)
EVAL, ST. (St. Eval), a parish, in the union of St. Columb Major, hundred of Pyder, E. division of Cornwall, 4½ miles (N. W. by N.) from St. Columb Major; containing 349 inhabitants. The parish is on the coast, and comprises 2704 acres, whereof 864 are waste land or common: the coast is bold, and lined with precipitous and lofty cliffs, in which are numerous caverns accessible at low water; the beach is a firm sand. Slate is quarried; and there are other mines, not wrought at present. A fair is held on the 6th of June. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £6. 13. 4.; net income, £162; patron, the Bishop of Exeter; appropriators, the Dean and Chapter. The church is an ancient edifice, the tower of which, having fallen down, was rebuilt from the foundation in 1727, at an expense of £400, by subscription, to which the merchants of Bristol contributed, in consideration of the benefit derived by their vessels from so conspicuous a landmark. There are places of worship for Bryanites and Wesleyans. Several barrows are discernible on the downs; and the vestiges of an ancient castle may be traced on one of the cliffs almost overhanging the sea.
Evedon (St. Mary)
EVEDON (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Sleaford, wapentake of Flaxwell, parts of Kesteven, county of Lincoln, 2¾ miles (N. E. by E.) from Sleaford; containing 91 inhabitants. The parish comprises by measurement 1582 acres, and the Sleaford river runs on its north side. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £9. 8. 1½.; net income, £163; patron, the Earl of Winchilsea: the glebe consists of 56 acres, with a new house.
EVEN-SWINDON, a tything, in the parish of Rodborne-Cheney, union of Highworth and Swindon, hundred of Highworth, Cricklade, and Staple, Swindon and N. divisions of the county of Wilts; containing 35 inhabitants.
Evenley (St. George)
EVENLEY (St. George), a parish, in the union of Brackley, hundred of King's-Sutton, S. division of the county of Northampton, 1 mile (S. by W.) from Brackley; containing 487 inhabitants. The parish is situated on the borders of Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire, being partly bounded on the east by both; it comprises 3104 acres, chiefly arable, and is intersected by the road from Oxford to Northampton: the village is pleasant. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £7; net income, £182; patrons, the President and Fellows of Magdalen College, Oxford. Certain tithes were commuted for land and a money payment in 1779; and the impropriate tithes have since been commuted for a rent-charge of £218, and the vicarial for £67: a glebe-house was built by the incumbent, assisted by the college, in 1833. The church is a small ancient structure, in the early English style, with later additions. A school-house was built in 1834, by the Hon. Mrs. Pierrepont.
Evenload (St. Edward)
EVENLOAD (St. Edward), a parish, in the union of Stow-on-the-Wold, Upper division of the hundred of Oswaldslow, Blockley and E. divisions of the county of Worcester, 3 miles (S. E.) from Moreton-in-theMarsh; containing 325 inhabitants. This place, the name of which in a charter of King Edgar's is written Eowenland, and subsequently Eunilade and Eumlade, is described in Domesday book as appertaining to the church of Worcester, and held by one Hereward, who had five hides. The parish comprises 1454 acres, of which two-thirds are pasture, the produce of the rest being wheat, barley, beans, &c.; the surface is generally flat, and the soil a deep rich loam: the small river Evenload flows through. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £11. 11. 8., and in the patronage of the family of James: the greater portion of the tithes were commuted for land, under the inclosure act, in 1765, and the remainder have recently been commuted for a rent-charge of £54. 7.; the glebe comprises 270 acres, valued at £440 per annum. The church stands on the west side of the village, and is a small ancient structure, with some Norman details; it was repewed in 1837.
EVENWOOD, a township, in the parish of St. Andrew Auckland, union of Auckland, N. W. division of Darlington ward, S. division of the county of Durham, 5¼ miles (S. W.) from Bishop-Auckland; containing, with Barony, 1729 inhabitants. The greater part of this township is in the chapelry of Auckland St. Helen, and the rest in the newly-assigned district of Etherley. The village is situated on the summit of a steep bank to the south of the Gaunless, and contains a place of worship for Wesleyans. There was formerly a castle, of which the moat may still be traced.
Evercreech (St. Peter) cum Chesterblade
EVERCREECH (St. Peter) cum Chesterblade, a parish, in the union of Shepton-Mallet, hundred of Wells-Forum, E. division of Somerset, 3¾ miles (S. E. by S.) from Shepton-Mallet; containing, with the hamlets of Bagbury, Southwood, and Stoney-Stratton, 1449 inhabitants. The parish comprises 4078 acres by measurement, and is situated on the road from SheptonMallet to Bruton: the manufacture of silk is carried on, affording employment to about 100 persons; and there are quarries of blue lias suited for building and paving. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £16. 19.; patrons and impropriators, the Hon. Mr. and Mrs. Talbot, whose tithes have been commuted for £150, and the vicarial for £250. The church is a large and noble edifice, with a tower in the decorated English style, 135 feet high, terminated by elegant pinnacles. At Chesterblade is a very ancient chapel; and there is a place of worship in the parish for Wesleyan Methodists. Here are a Roman encampment, and a spring strongly impregnated with salt.