A Topographical Dictionary of England. Originally published by S Lewis, London, 1848.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
Farleigh, West (All Saints)
FARLEIGH, WEST (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Maidstone, hundred of Twyford, lathe of Aylesford, W. division of Kent, 3¼ miles (W. S. W.) from Maidstone; containing 403 inhabitants. The parish comprises 1010 acres, of which 380 are arable, 247 meadow, 130 woodland, 138 in hop plantations, and the remainder orchard; the surface rises gradually from the south bank of the river Medway, over which are two bridges. The village has been for centuries the residence of respectable families. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £6. 10. 5.; net income, £459; patrons and appropriators, the Dean and Chapter of Rochester. The church is principally in the early English style, with Norman portions. Two almshouses, endowed with 3½ acres of land, were founded by the Rev. Oliver North, in 1725. Mrs. Ann Goulston, in 1724, left £300 to purchase land for the poor. A Norman cross, in an excellent state of preservation, was discovered in the churchyard in 1832.
FARLETON, a township, in the parish of Melling, union of Caton (under Gilbert's act), hundred of Lonsdale south of the Sands, N. division of the county of Lancaster, 8¼ miles (N. E. by E.) from Lancaster; containing 62 inhabitants. This place is written Fareltun in Domesday survey, and is styled the manor of Farlton in an inquisition taken in the 12th of Edward II., when it was held by Margaret Nevil, owner of the castle and honour of Hornby, of which, being a parcel, it necessarily followed the fate. It had anciently its castle and park, but the castle had sunk into a state of dilapidation two centuries and a half ago, and the park has entirely disappeared. The township lies on the east of the Lune river, and the small village on the road from Lancaster to Kirkby-Lonsdale.
FARLETON, a township, in the parish of Beetham, union and ward of Kendal, county of Westmorland, 3 miles (N.) from Burton-in-Kendal; containing 118 inhabitants. It comprises 1083 acres, of which 200 are waste land or common. The Kendal and Lancaster canal passes on the western side of the village. Farleton Knot, a lofty rock of limestone, has on its summit several springs. The tithes have been commuted for £3. 4. 9. payable to the vicar, £7. 2. 3. to impropriators, and £95 to the free grammar school, Kirkby-Lonsdale. There are some remains of a castle, supposed to be of Roman origin.
FARLEY, a township, in the parish of Alveton, union of Cheadle, S. division of the hundred of Totmonslow, N. division of the county of Stafford, 4¼ miles (E. by N.) from Cheadle; containing 472 inhabitants. The township lies on the north side of the river Churnet, and comprises 2200 acres, mostly laid out in pastureland and dairy-farms. On the south flows the Uttoxeter canal. The village, which is of neat appearance, occupies a pleasant eminence, and contains a respectable inn, and some good houses. Two fairs annually held in May and October have been long discontinued. Alton Towers, the splendid mansion of the Earl of Shrewsbury, is in the township; and Farley Hall is a handsome residence here.—See Alveton.
Farley, or Farleigh (St. Mary)
FARLEY, or Farleigh (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Godstone, Second division of the hundred of Tandridge, E. division of Surrey, 5 miles (S. E.) from Croydon; containing 86 inhabitants. The manor is styled in Domesday book Ferlega; and in the 13th century belonged to Walter de Merton, who founded Merton College, Oxford, and settled his property here upon the new society. The parish comprises 1060a. 12p., of which 690 acres are arable, 320 woodland, and the remainder pasture. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £4. 16. 5½., and in the gift of Merton College: the tithes have been commuted for £177. 4., and the glebe consists of 28½ acres. The church is on an elevated site, and consists of a body and chancel only, with no tower.
FARLEY, a chapelry, in the parish, union, and hundred of Alderbury, Salisbury and Amesbury, and S. divisions of Wilts, 5 miles (E.) from Salisbury; containing 298 inhabitants. The chapel, rebuilt by Sir Stephen Fox, who was born here in 1627, is a neat edifice, highly embellished, containing some monuments and busts of the family of Fox, and of Lords Ilchester and Holland, the descendants of Sir Stephen; also a mural tablet to the memory of Charles James Fox, whose remains were interred in Westminster Abbey. Sir S. Fox in 1678 founded an almshouse, and endowed it with £188 per annum, for the support of a chaplain, six men, and six women; and the chaplain has, besides, the charge of a school established by the same benevolent individual.
Farley-Chamberlayne (St. John)
FARLEY-CHAMBERLAYNE (St. John), a parish, in the union of Hursley, hundred of King's-Sombourn, Romsey and S. divisions of the county of Southampton, 5¾ miles (W. by S.) from Winchester; containing 149 inhabitants. It comprises about 1200 acres; the surface is hilly, the soil partly a stiff clay and partly of lighter quality. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £10. 12. 1., and in the gift of J. Woodham, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for £340, and the glebe comprises 60 acres. On an eminence termed Beacon Hill, are vestiges of an ancient encampment.
FARLINGTON, a parish, in the union of Havant, hundred of Portsdown, Fareham and S. divisions of the county of Southampton, 2 miles (W. by S.) from Havant; containing 793 inhabitants. This parish is divided into two nearly equal parts by the ridge of Portsdown Hill, and comprises by admeasurement 2320 acres, of which 866 are arable, 1036 pasture, and 356 woodland. Part of the land consists of an inclosure from the forest of Bere, in 1815; and about 300 acres were inclosed from Langston Harbour, which bounds the parish on the south and south-east, by the late Peter Taylor, Esq. At the high tide and storm of Nov. 1824, the sea made an irruption, to the great injury of the lands; and a still more violent one occurred in Nov. 1840, covering more than 600 acres during the height of the gale; on which latter occasion, the expense of restoring the embankment amounted to more than £2000. The soil on the northern part of the hill is inferior to that on the south, which is a rich loam, resting upon a stratum of chalk. From the summit, a magnificent view may be obtained. The roads from Portsmouth to London and to Chichester run through the parish. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £9. 13. 4.; patron and incumbent, the Rev. Edward Tew Richards, whose tithes have been commuted for £615, and whose glebe comprises 2 acres, with a house. The church has been recently repaired and beautified, especially the chancel. There is an additional church at Waterloo Ville.
FARLINGTON, a chapelry, in the parish of Sheriff-Hutton, union of Easingwould, wapentake of Bulmer, N. riding of York, 6¼ miles (E. S. E.) from Easingwould; containing 181 inhabitants. This chapelry is situated on the river Foss, and comprises by computation 1200 acres. The living is a perpetual curacy, with Marton; net income, £130; patron and appropriator, the Archbishop of York: the appropriate tithes have been commuted for £209, and the small tithes for £94. 5.; the glebe comprises 7 acres. The chapel is dedicated to St. Leonard, and has been enlarged.
Farlow, or Fawler, with Kingston-Lisle
FARLOW, or FAWLER, with Kingston-Lisle, a chapelry, in the parish of Sparsholt, union of Farringdon, hundred of Shrivenham, county of Berks, 5¼ miles (W.) from Wantage; containing 397 inhabitants, of whom 144 are in the hamlet of Fawler. The chapel, dedicated to St. James, has been pulled down, and a new one built in a more convenient situation at Kingston-Lisle. A school is supported by endowment and subscription.
FARLOW, a chapelry, in the parish of Stottesden, union of Cleobury-Mortimer, Cleobury division of the hundred of Stottesden, S. division of Salop, 5¼ miles (N. W. by N.) from Cleobury-Mortimer; contain ng 361 inhabitants. The chapelry consists of a long and narrow slip of ground; it comprises 1189 acres. The chapel, which is dedicated to St. Giles, is endowed with the rectorial tithes, and has been rebuilt: the tithes have been commuted for £280, and the incumbent has also two acres of glebe.
Farlsthorp (St. Andrew)
FARLSTHORP (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union of Spilsby, Wold division of the hundred of Calceworth, parts of Lindsey, county of Lincoln, 1¾ mile (S. E.) from Alford; containing 109 inhabitants, and comprising 1043a. 1r. 3p. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £5. 6. 8.; the patronage and impropriation belong to Mrs. J. Kipling. The great tithes have been commuted for a rentcharge of £170, the vicarial for £35. 5., and there are 47 acres of glebe.
FARMANBY, a township, in the parish of Ellerburn, union and lythe of Pickering, N. riding of York, 3 miles (E. S. E.) from Pickering; containing 470 inhabitants. This place forms part of the village of Thornton-Dale, situated in a picturesque moorland valley, on the road from Scarborough to Pickering: the township comprises by computation 2530 acres of land. Ellerburn church, a small ancient edifice, standing in a secluded part of the dale, about a mile from the village, is in this township.
Farmborough (All Saints)
FARMBOROUGH (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Clutton, hundred of Keynsham, E. division of Somerset, 8 miles (S. E. by E.) from Bath; containing 1149 inhabitants. The parish is intersected by the road from Bath to Wells, and comprises by measurement 1461 acres, of which about two-thirds are pastureland; the soil is a rich stiff loam, and the surface is varied by gentle declivities to the north and south. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £10. 2. 11., and in the gift of the Rev. Lewis Tugwell: the tithes have been commuted for £326, and there are about 80 acres of glebe, with a good house. The church, which is in the later English style, has been lately repaired. There are places of worship for Wesleyans and other dissenters.
FARMCOTE, a chapelry, in the parish of GuytingPower, union of Winchcomb, Lower division of the hundred of Kiftsgate, E. division of the county of Gloucester, 2¼ miles (E.) from Winchcomb; containing 32 inhabitants. It is said to have been a distinct parish. The chapel is a very ancient structure.
Farmington (St. Peter)
FARMINGTON (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Northleach, hundred of Bradley, E. division of the county of Gloucester, 2 miles (E. N. E.) from Northleach; containing 359 inhabitants. This parish, which was separated from the parish of Northleach before the year 1290, is bounded on the north by the old Fosseway. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £16. 5. 5.; net income, £121; patron, H. E. Waller, Esq.
Farnborough, or Farmborough (All Saints)
FARNBOROUGH, or Farmborough (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Wantage, hundred of Compton, county of Berks, 5 miles (W. by N.) from East Ilsley; containing 204 inhabitants. It comprises by computation 1890 acres. The soil is extremely various; on the same field are frequently found stiff clay, chalk, and sand: the greater portion of the parish is in downs and sheep-walks. The surface is hilly, and the springs lie at a great depth. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £12. 8. 4., and in the gift of the Rev. G. Price: the tithes have been commuted for £300, and the glebe comprises 60 acres.
FARNBOROUGH, a chapelry, in the parish of Chelsfield, union of Bromley, hundred of Ruxley, lathe of Sutton-at-Hone, W. division of Kent, 4¼ miles (S. E. by S.) from Bromley; containing 680 inhabitants. The name of this place, a corruption of Fearnberga, is derived from the quantity of fern growing here: it had once a market and two fairs, but the former has been long since disused, and one fair only is now held, on Sept. 12th. The chapelry comprises 1412 acres, of which 257 are woodland. The chapel, dedicated to St. Giles the Abbot, was rebuilt in 1639, in which year the ancient structure was destroyed by a tempest. Farnborough gives the title of Baron to the family of Long, created July 8th, 1826.
FARNBOROUGH, a post village, a parish, and the head of a union (under Gilbert's act), in the hundred of Crondall, Odiham and N. divisions of the county of Southampton, 6 miles (S. S. W.) from Bagshot; containing 356 inhabitants. The parish comprises by computation 2000 acres, of which 1000 are heath and plantations, 500 arable, and 500 meadow and pasture; the surface is varied, rising in some parts into hills, and the soil is generally gravel and sand. The Basingstoke canal passes through the parish, and a station on the London and South-Western railway is situated here. A fair for cattle is held on Dec. 5th. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £7. 12. 11., and in the gift of John Clayton, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for £152; and there is a glebe of 30 acres, besides an allotment of 187 acres made under an inclosure act in 1812. The church has been repewed, and the gallery extended. Here is a place of worship for Baptists. There are three tumuli in the parish.
Farnborough (St. Botolph)
FARNBOROUGH (St. Botolph), a parish, in the union of Banbury, Burton-Dassett division of the hundred of Kington, S. division of the county of Warwick, 6 miles (N. by W.) from Banbury; containing 367 inhabitants. The parish is situated on the border of Oxfordshire, which bounds it on the east; and comprises 1953a. 2r. 21p., of which 272 acres are arable, 602 meadow, 935 pasture, 20 wood, 24 water, and an acre and a half glebe. The surface presents much broken ground; the soil is of a rich strong quality, and there is a good portion of timber: stone is wrought, chiefly for building cottages, and in the quarries are found a few fossils of the secondary formation. The Oxford canal enters the county near the north boundary of the parish, and the parish is intersected by the road from Banbury to Southam. The village is situated about half a mile to the left of this road. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £5. 12.; patron, W. Holbeach, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for £385. 5. payable to the vicar, and £16. 8. 4. to impropriators. The church exhibits specimens of the Norman, early English, and other styles; the south door and font appear to be the oldest parts: a north transept was added in 1839, when the chancel was repaired, and the whole refitted. A school, conducted on the national system, is endowed with £40 per annum.
FARNDALE, a chapelry, in the parish of KirkbyMoorside, union of Helmsley, wapentake of Ryedale, N. riding of York, 13 miles (N. W.) from Pickering; containing 463 inhabitants, of whom 188 are in Farndale Low Quarter, and 275 in Farndale West or High Quarter. These two townships together comprise about 9780 acres, whereof 6220 are in the latter, which is situated on the west of the river Dove. The chapel has lately been enlarged.
FARNDALE-EASTSIDE, a chapelry, in the parish of Lastingham, union of Helmsley, wapentake of Ryedale, N. riding of York, 5 miles (N.) from KirkbyMoorside; containing 383 inhabitants. It occupies the east side of the higher part of the deep moorland dale of the river Dove, and comprises 9103 acres, of which 6341 are waste land or common. The tithes have been commuted for £33. 15. payable to the Archbishop of York, and £21 to the vicar of the parish, who has a glebe of 1½ acre. The chapel is a small edifice.
Farndish (St. Michael)
FARNDISH (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of Wellingborough, hundred of Willey, county of Bedford, 4½ miles (S. E.) from Wellingborough, and the same distance (S. W. by S.) from Higham-Ferrers; containing 86 inhabitants. It occupies the extreme north-western part of the county, upon the border of Northamptonshire, and comprises 520 acres of arable, and 160 of grass, land; the soil is clay and gravel, with a substratum of limestone. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £10; net income, £160; patron, the Rev. A. Chester. The tithes were commuted for land under an act of inclosure in the 39th and 40th of George III.; the glebe altogether consists of 129 acres, with a glebe-house.