A Topographical Dictionary of England. Originally published by S Lewis, London, 1848.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
LANGLEY, a township, in the parish and union of Lanchester, W. division of Chester ward, N. division of the county of Durham, 5½ miles (N. W.) from Durham; containing 81 inhabitants. This place was probably the residence of Henry, Lord Scroop, temp. Henry VIII., and was the occasional seat of his descendants, who held the estate till the death of the Earl of Sunderland, in 1630, when it passed by marriage to the Marquess of Winchester, in whose family it remained till, in the middle of the last century, it was sold to the Lambtons. The township comprises about 2500 acres, and is situated on the road from Durham to Lanchester. On the bank of the river Browney are the ruins of a castellated mansion, formerly belonging to the Scroops, and part of which has been converted into a farmhouse. The view from it over the vale of the Browney is wild and varied; and in front, to the east, the cathedral rises majestically over the Durham hills.
Langley (St. John the Evangelist)
LANGLEY (St. John the Evangelist), a parish, in the union of Saffron-Walden, hundred of Clavering, N. division of Essex, 4 miles (W. by N.) from Newport; containing 448 inhabitants. It comprises 1617a. 2r. 27p., of which 807 acres are arable, 500 pasture, 260 woodland, and 50 waste. The living is an endowed vicarage, annexed to the living of Clavering; impropriators, the Governors of the Hospitals of Christchurch, Bethlehem, and St. Thomas, London. The great tithes have been commuted for £152, and the vicarial for £153; the glebe comprises 47 acres. The church is a very ancient edifice. There is a place of worship for Baptists.
Langley (St. Mary)
LANGLEY (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Hollingbourne, hundred of Eyhorne, lathe of Aylesford, W. division of Kent, 4 miles (S. E.) from Maidstone; containing 294 inhabitants. It comprises 1263a. 1r. 24p., of which 923 acres are arable and pasture, 280 woodland, and about 60 acres heath and waste. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £6. 19. 9½.; net income, £390, with a house; patron, P. Pusey, Esq. The church is an ancient structure. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.
Langley (St. Michael)
LANGLEY (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of Loddon and Clavering, hundred of Loddon, E. division of Norfolk, 1 mile (N.) from Loddon; containing 323 inhabitants. This place was distinguished as the site of an abbey, founded and liberally endowed in 1198, by Robert Fitz-Roger Helke, for Præmonstratensian canons; the establishment flourished till the Dissolution, when its revenue was returned at £128. 19. 9.: there are considerable remains of the buildings. The parish is on the navigable river Yare, and comprises 2723 acres, of which 475 are common or waste; the scenery is pleasingly diversified. Langley Park, the seat of Sir W. B. Proctor, Bart., is a stately mansion with a portico of the Doric order; in the grounds is an ancient cross. The inhabitants had formerly the privilege of a market, granted in the reign of John. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £50; patron and impropriator, Sir W. B. Proctor, whose tithes have been commuted for £400. The church is a handsome structure, with a square embattled tower, and is remarkable for the beauty of its windows, which were all embellished with richlystained glass by the late Sir T. B. Proctor; in the chancel are several neat monuments to the Beauchamp and Proctor families.
LANGLEY, a chapelry, in the parish of Shiptonunder-Whichwood, union of Chipping-Norton, hundred of Chadlington, county of Oxford, 5 miles (N. E.) from Burford; containing 68 inhabitants. A palace belonging to King John was formerly situated here, and a portion of the walls is still remaining. There is a quarry of rough marble susceptible of a very high polish.
Langley, county of Salop.—See Ruckley.
LANGLEY, a hamlet, in the parish of Claverdon, union of Stratford-upon-Avon, Henley division of the hundred of Barlichway, S. division of the county of Warwick, 4½ miles (S. E. by E.) from Henley; containing 179 inhabitants. In the Conqueror's time this place was possessed by Robert de Stadford, and contained woods one mile in length and half a mile in breadth. In the reign of Henry VI., Richard Beauchamp, Earl of Warwick, was lord. The hamlet comprises 991 acres of tolerably good land, and is watered by a small tributary of the river Avon.
LANGLEY, a tything, in the parish of Kington St. Michael, union of Chippenham, N. division of the hundred of Damerham, Chippenham and Calne, and N. divisions of the county of Wilts, 2¼ miles (N.) from Chippenham; containing 601 inhabitants.
LANGLEY, a township, and ecclesiastical district, in the parish of Hales-Owen, union of Bromsgrove, Upper division of the hundred of Halfshire, HalesOwen and E. divisions of the county of Worcester, 5 miles (W. by S.) from Birmingham; containing about 2700 inhabitants, of whom 802 are in the township. This district was constituted in January, 1846, under the provisions of the act 6th and 7th Victoria, cap. 37. It comprises about 473 acres, the Wolverhampton level of the Worcester canal being its northern boundary. The surface, formerly agricultural and pretty, is now defaced by mounds, and the smoke of coal and ironstone mines, and brick-kilns: there are also chemical-works, and many of the inhabitants are nailers. The HalesOwen and Birmingham road runs through. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Crown and the Bishop of Worcester, alternately. A church is in course of erection, the cost of which is estimated at £2500; a parsonage-house will also be built, at an expense of £1000, and it is proposed to erect national schools. There are places of worship for Independents and Wesleyans.
Langley, Abbots (St. Lawrence)
LANGLEY, ABBOTS (St. Lawrence), a parish, in the union of Watford, hundred of Cashio, or liberty of St. Alban's, county of Hertford, 1¾ mile (E. by S.) from King's-Langley; containing 2115 inhabitants. It has some corn and paper mills. The Grand Junction canal passes through the parish, and the London and Birmingham railway within less than a mile of the church. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £15, and in the gift of the Rev. Richard Gee: the great tithes have been commuted for £856. 17. 6., and the vicarial for £315; there are 7 acres of glebe. The church, partly Norman and partly in the later English style, has a square tower surmounted by a short spire, and contains some handsome monuments, among which is one to Chief Justice Raimond. Here is the Booksellers' Provident Retreat, erected on a site given by Mr. Dickinson, whose extensive paper-works and beautiful residence are adjacent: the first stone was laid by the Earl of Clarendon in Sept. 1845. A national school is endowed with £10 per annum; and a school of industry for girls, with £8 per annum. Nicholas de Breakspear, who first instructed the Norwegians in Christianity, and the only Englishman ever raised to the popedom, was born in the parish, though the place from which he took his name is situated in the adjoining parish of St. Michael; he assumed the title of Adrian IV., and was poisoned in 1159, in the fifth year of his pontificate, by a citizen of Rome whose son he had refused to consecrate bishop.
Langley-Burrel (St. Peter)
LANGLEY-BURREL (St. Peter), a parish, in the union and hundred of Chippenham, Chippenham and Calne, and N. divisions of Wilts, 1¾ mile (N. by E.) from Chippenham; containing 626 inhabitants. The parish is situated on the road from Chippenham to Bath; and through the centre of it, to the summit of Wickhill, extends a causeway more than three miles in length, supported on 60 arches, and carried over the river Avon and the adjoining meadows. It was constructed at the expense of Maud Heath, to whom a monument, with the figure of a female sitting, has been erected, in commemoration of her munificence; and the causeway has been since continued on the London road from Chippenham to the foot of Derry Hill, an additional length of three miles. The Great Western railway passes through the parish. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £12. 7. 3½.; net income, £386; patron and incumbent, the Rev. R. Ashe.
Langley-Dale, with Shotton
LANGLEY-DALE, with Shotton, a township, in the parish of Staindrop, union of Teesdale, S. W. division of Darlington ward, S. division of the county of Durham, 4 miles (N. W.) from Staindrop; containing 185 inhabitants. The township comprises 4685a. 2r. 17p., the soil of which is fertile, though in many parts wet, from its proximity to the moors. The smeltingworks established here, at the Gaunless lead-mill, are owned by the Duke of Cleveland, who lets them on lease. The land is tithe-free, with the exception of a farm of 59 acres, the tithes of which have been commuted for a rent-charge of £7. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. An ancient tower here was formerly an out-post belonging to Raby Castle.
Langley, King's (All Saints)
LANGLEY, KING'S (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Hemel-Hempstead, hundred of Dacorum, county of Hertford, 19 miles (W. S. W.) from Hertford; containing, with the hamlet of Chipperfield, 1629 inhabitants. A priory, or house for friars-preachers, was founded here by Roger, son of Robert Helle or Helke, aud afterwards enlarged and more liberally endowed by the munificence of the kings Edward I., II., III., and IV.; it possessed, in the 26th of Henry VIII., a revenue of £150. 14. 8. Queen Mary restored it for a prioress and nuns, but it was totally suppressed in the 1st of Elizabeth. The parish comprises 3461 acres, of which 182 are common or waste. A paper manufactory affords employment to about 50 persons. The Grand Junction canal passes through the parish: in excavating for it, a human skeleton and jawbones, of gigantic size, were found in 1820, and an ancient sword and a spear in 1822. Here, also, is a station on the London and Birmingham railway. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £8; patron and appropriator, the Bishop of Ely: the appropriate tithes have been commuted for £600, and the vicarial for £220; the appropriate glebe comprises 95 acres, and the vicarial 5 acres. The church is of flint and stone, with a square embattled tower surmounted by a short spire, and has been enlarged, and galleries built; it contains the tomb of Edmund de Langley, fifth son of Edward III., and Duke of York, who was born at a royal palace here, and was buried in 1402, in the church of the priory, from which, at the Dissolution, his tomb was removed to the parish church. A few years since, a chapel was erected and endowed by subscription at Chipperfield common, where the poor are occasionally christened and buried.
Langley, Kirk (St. Michael)
LANGLEY, KIRK (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of Belper, hundred of Morleston and Litchurch, S. division of the county of Derby, 4¾ miles (W. N. W.) from Derby, on the road to Ashbourn; containing, with the township of Meynell-Langley, 647 inhabitants. The parish comprises 2471 acres: in KirkLangley township are 1325 acres, principally pasture, with some woodland, and mostly in dairy-farms. Meynell-Langley forms the east side of the parish, and the Flagshaw, a small brook, separates the villages, which are both of scattered houses, several of them good buildings, chiefly of brick, with blue tiles. Langley Hall, a neat stone mansion, is situated in a well-wooded park of 60 acres, and commands a fine view of Derby. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £12. 2. 1.; patron, Godfrey Meynell, Esq. The tithes of KirkLangley were commuted in 1842 for £213; and the rector has 90 acres of glebe, of which a large portion was awarded at the inclosure of Meynell-Langley, in lieu of tithes. The church is an ancient edifice, consisting of a nave, chancel, aisles, and a low embattled tower; it was repaired and repewed in 1840, and a new gallery erected on the south side, at a cost of £600: there are monuments to the Meynell family, and to various rectors. The Primitive Methodists have a place of worship. A school, built in 1750, was endowed in 1752 by the Rev. John Bailey, incumbent, with land now let for £12 a year; and it was further endowed in 1768, by Francis Bailey, with a rent-charge of £5.
Langley-Marish (St. Mary)
LANGLEY-MARISH (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Eton, hundred of Stoke, county of Buckingham; comprising a portion of the market-town of Colnbrook, and containing 1844 inhabitants. The Great Western railway passes through the parish, a short distance north of the church. The living is annexed to the vicarage of Wyrardisbury; impropriator, W. Nash, Esq. The old chapel of St. Mary, which forms the chancel of the church, was erected in the time of Edward I., and contains three stone stalls and a piscina; there is also a curious chapel, built for a pew by Sir John Kederminster, in 1613, and attached to the estate of Langley Park. Here is a place of worship for Independents. Sir John Kederminster in 1649 founded almshouses for four people, and endowed them with property producing £52 per annum. Henry Seymour towards the close of the same century erected others for six inmates, in support of which Captain Henry Seymour, in 1733, bequeathed £30 per annum.
LANGLEY, MEYNELL, a township, in the parish of Kirk-Langley, union of Belper, hundred of Morleston and Litchurch, S. division of the county of Derby; containing 122 inhabitants. The manor took its name of Meynell from an ancient family who possessed it so early as the reign of Edward III., and from whom it passed, by successive female heirs, to the families of Bassett and Cavendish. In the year 1669, William Cavendish, Duke of Newcastle, sold it to Isaac Meynell, citizen of London, whose only daughter and heiress conveyed it to the Cecils, by whom the lands were sold to another branch of the family of Meynell. There are now several owners.
LANGLEY-PRIORY, an extra-parochial liberty, in the hundred of West Goscote, N. division of the county of Leicester; containing 9 inhabitants, and comprising 558 acres of land. A priory of Benedictine nuns, in honour of the Blessed Virgin Mary, was founded in the beginning of the reign of Henry II. by William Pantulf and Burgia his wife; the revenue, at the Dissolution, was estimated at £34. 6. 2.