A Topographical Dictionary of England. Originally published by S Lewis, London, 1848.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
STRICKLAND, GREAT, a township in the parish of Morland, West ward and union, county of Westmorland, 3 miles (W. N. W.) from Morland; containing 277 inhabitants. This place takes its name from the ancient family of Strickland, who were lords of the manor, and resided here. From the Stricklands it passed, in the reign of Henry VI., to the Fallowfields, whose heiress carried it in marriage to the Dalstons, by whom it was sold to Sir John Lowther. The Lancaster and Carlisle railway passes by the place. The moduses and the vicarial tithes were commuted for land in 1830; and under the late act, certain appropriate tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £81.14. 4½., payable to the Dean and Chapter of Carlisle. There is a meeting-house belonging to the Society of Friends.
STRICKLAND-KETEL, a township, in the parish, union, and ward of Kendal, county of Westmorland, 2 miles (N. by W.) from Kendal; containing 466 inhabitants. This township, with Strickland-Roger, constitutes the chapelry of Burneside. It is bounded on the east by the Kent river, and comprises 2302a. 3r. 19p., whereof 1842 acres are arable, 400 pasture, and 32 woodland. The tithes have been commuted for £150. 2. 10½. The chapel of Burneside is situated within the township.
STRICKLAND, LITTLE, a township, in the chapelry of Thrimby, parish of Morland, West ward and union, county of Westmorland, 3 miles (N. E.) from Shap; containing 134 inhabitants. The chapel and school-houses are situated here.
STRICKLAND-ROGER, a township, in the parish, union, and ward of Kendal, county of Westmorland, 4 miles (N.) from Kendal; containing 412 inhabitants. It is bounded on the west by the river Kent, and on the east by the Sprint; and comprises 3124a. 3r., of which 1291 acres are arable, 200 pasture, 33 woodland, and about 1600 common now inclosed. Near Garnet-bridge is a mill for the manufacture of bobbin, and at Cowen Head is a paper-mill. The tithes have been commuted for £102. 8. 8½. At a place called Hundhow was anciently a chapel, named Chapel-en-le-Wood.
STRINGSTON, a parish, in the union of Williton, hundred of Cannington, W. division of Somerset, 10 miles (W. N. W.) from Bridgwater; containing 143 inhabitants. It is near the road between Bridgwater and Dunster, and comprises 1193 acres, of which 84 are common or waste. Limestone is quarried, chiefly for agricultural purposes. The living is a vicarage, united to the rectory of Kilve: the tithes have been commuted for £188. 10., and the glebe consists of 43 acres. There is a place of worship for Baptists. The churchyard contains a curious ancient cross, and in the neighbourhood is a fortification called Danes-burrow, or Douseborough, Castle, with a double embankment and wide ditch; it is about three-quarters of a mile in circumference, and wholly covered with oak coppice-wood, among which a prætorium may be distinctly traced.
Strixton (St. John the Baptist)
STRIXTON (St. John the Baptist), a parish, in the union of Wellingborough, hundred of HighamFerrers, N. division of the county of Northampton, 4¼ miles (S. by E.) from Wellingborough; containing 55 inhabitants. It comprises about 970 acres, and is varied by a portion of hilly ground; the soil is in general cold and heavy. The living is a discharged rectory, consolidated with the vicarage of Bozeat, and valued in the king's books at £7. The church is a small edifice, affording a good specimen of the early English style.
Strood (St. Nicholas)
STROOD (St. Nicholas), a parish, in the union of North Aylesford, partly within the jurisdiction of the city of Rochester, and partly in the hundred of Shamwell, lathe of Aylesford, W. division of Kent, ½ a mile (N. W.) from Rochester; containing 2881 inhabitants. The parish comprises 1492 acres, of which 279 are in wood, and 27 occupied by marsh. The village consists principally of one street, on the road from London to Rochester, to which latter place it is joined by a bridge over the Medway, at its eastern extremity. The houses are irregularly built, and destitute of uniformity and respectability of appearance; but since the last act of parliament for paving, watching, and lighting the village, it has been considerably improved. The adjoining heights command interesting and extensive prospects. The Rochester terminus of the Gravesend and Rochester railway is situated here. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in maritime pursuits, in the fisheries on the Medway, and in dredging for oysters, of which large quantities, as well as of shrimps, are sent to the London and other markets. A fair is held on August 26th and two following days, by grant of King John; it has become very considerable. That part of the parish called Strood Extra, which is not within the city of Rochester, is under the jurisdiction of the county magistrates. The living is a perpetual curacy; gross income, about £240; patrons, the Dean and Chapter; appropriator, the Bishop of Rochester. The church was rebuilt in 1812, at the expense of the parishioners. There is a place of worship for Independents. Francis Barrel, Esq., residuary legatee of Sir John Hayward's estate, in 1718 bequeathed £1100 for the endowment of three charity schools, two to be in the parish of St. Nicholas, Rochester, and one in Strood. On the Temple farm are interesting remains of Strood Temple, originally a preceptory for Knights Templars, and valued at the Dissolution at £52. 6. 10. Of Strood hospital, established by Bishop Gilbert de Glanville, in the reign of Richard I., for infirm and indigent travellers, the almonry (converted into a stable) and some other portions yet exist. About two miles from Strood, on the London road, is Gadshill, celebrated by Shakspeare as the scene of Falstaff's valorous exploits.
Stroud, or Stroudwater (St. Lawrence)
STROUD, or Stroudwater (St. Lawrence), a newly-enfranchised borough, a market-town, a parish, and the head of a union, in the hundred of Bisley, E. division of the county of Gloucester, 10 miles (S. by E.) from Gloucester, and 102 (W. by N.) from London; containing, with the tythings of Upper and Lower Lyppiatt, Pakenhill, and Steanbridge, 8680 inhabitants. The first notice of this place in any records extant occurs in an agreement in 1304, between the rector of Bisley and the inhabitants of La Stroud, which, at the time of the Norman survey, formed part of Bisley parish. The town derives its name from its situation on the Slade or Stroud water, near the confluence, of that stream with the Frome. It stands on a considerable acclivity in the midst of a most beautiful country, and consists principally of a long street extending up the side of the hill, with another diverging from it at the base. There are many handsome houses, and the inhabitants are well supplied with water conveyed by pipes from two springs in the neighbourhood. The town has been greatly improved in consequence of an act of parliament obtained within a few years, for paving, lighting, and widening the streets; and new roads have been formed in various directions, to connect it more closely with contiguous towns.
Stroud has long been famous as the centre of the woollen manufacture in Gloucestershire, and is supposed to owe much of its prosperity to the peculiar properties of the stream called the Stroud water, which is admirably adapted for dyeing scarlet, and which, consequently, was the means of attracting at an early period many clothiers and dyers to its banks. The inhabitants of the surrounding villages are employed in different processes of this manufacture; and at the distance of a mile from the town, on the Bath and Birmingham road, are Light Pool Mills, an extensive establishment for the manufacture of solid-headed pins, consisting of five stories, each 100 feet long, and ingeniously adapted to the making of pins without manual assistance. Here is a station of the railway between Swindon and Gloucester, 24½ miles from the former town; and the Thames and Severn canal passes on the south. The market, which is well supplied, is on Friday; and there are fairs on May 10th and August 21st, for cattle, sheep, and pigs. Stroud has been constituted a borough, with the privilege of sending two members to parliament, the right of election being vested in the £10 householders of a manufacturing district comprising an area of 42,356 acres: the returning officer is appointed by the sheriff. The petty-sessions for the hundred are held here, on the first and third Fridays in every month. The powers of the county debt-court of Stroud, established in 1847, extend over the registration-district of Stroud.
The parish was separated from that of Bisley in the reign of Edward II. It comprises 3711 acres, of which 1340 are arable, 1552 meadow and pasture, 797 woodland, and 22 waste and water. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £132; patron, the Bishop of Gloucester and Bristol; impropriators, the family of Goodlake. There is an endowed lectureship, in the gift of the parishioners. The church is a large building, erected and enlarged at several different periods, with a tower at its west end, surmounted by a lofty octangular spire. A church dedicated to the Trinity, containing 1000 sittings, of which 700 are free, was built at Stroudshill in 1839, in the early English style, with a bell-turret, at a cost of £3170; of this sum, £500 were granted by the Incorporated Society, and the remainder supplied by the Church Commissioners and by subscription. St. Paul's district church, at Whiteshill, was completed in 1841, the first stone having been laid November 18th, 1839; it is in the Norman style, and contains 500 sittings, of which 396 are free. The living of Stroudshill is in the gift of the Incumbent of Stroud, and that of Whiteshill in the Bishop's gift. There are places of worship for Particular Baptists, Independents, and Wesleyans. Thomas Webb, in 1642, gave an endowment now amounting to about £54 per annum, by means of which four boys are boarded and educated; and in 1734, Henry Windowe bequeathed £21 a year, for two more. The union of Stroud comprises 15 parishes or places, and contains a population of 38,920. Stroud was the birthplace of John Canton, F.R.S., a celebrated natural philsopher, who died in 1772; and of Joseph White, D.D., professor of Arabic at Oxford, who died in 1814: both were the sons of weavers.
Stroxton (All Saints)
STROXTON (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Grantham, wapentake of Winnibriggs and Threo, parts of Kesteven, county of Lincoln, 3¾ miles (S. S. W.) from Grantham; containing 94 inhabitants. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £3. 8. 6½.; net income, £250; patron, Sir W. E. Welby, Bart.
Strubby (St. Oswald)
STRUBBY (St. Oswald), a parish, in the union of Louth, Wold division of the hundred of Calceworth, parts of Lindsey, county of Lincoln, 4 miles (N.) from Alford; containing, with the hamlet of Woodthorpe, 268 inhabitants, and an area of 1995 acres. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Lincoln (the appropriators), valued in the king's books at £4. 13. 4.; net income, £150. The glebe contains 18 acres, and a glebe-house has just been erected. The church is an ancient stone edifice to which a brick tower was recently added. The family of Ballot, who resided at Woodthorpe Hall, lie buried in the church, and to the memory of one of them is a stone in the wall near the south door, dated 1431; the rest of the family, one of whom, an alderman of London in the 16th century, died at the age of 99 years, were buried within some beautiful wooden screen-work. The Wesleyans have a place of worship.
Strumpshaw (St. Peter)
STRUMPSHAW (St. Peter), a parish, in the union and hundred of Blofield, E. division of Norfolk, 1½ mile (S. E.) from Blofield; containing 412 inhabitants. The parish is bounded on the south by the navigable river Yare, and comprises 1391a. 28p., of which 851 acres are arable, 502 pasture, and the remainder water and roads. The Norwich and Yarmouth railway intersects it. The village is seated on an eminence; and in the parish is a windmill, standing on the highest ground in the county, and forming a conspicuous landmark. The living is a discharged rectory, with that of Braydeston united, valued in the king's books at £8; net income, £474; patron, I. Josselyn, Esq. The glebe contains about 64 acres, and there is a good house, considerably improved by the incumbent, the Rev. E. S. Whitbread. The church contains portions in the early and later English styles, with a lofty embattled tower.
STUBLACH, a township, in the parish of Middlewich, union and hundred of Northwich, S. division of the county of Chester, 3 miles (N. by E.) from Middlewich; containing 71 inhabitants, and comprising 346 acres, of which the soil is clay.
Stubton (St. Martin)
STUBTON (St. Martin), a parish, in the union of Newark, wapentake of Loveden, parts of Kesteven, county of Lincoln, 6¾ miles (S. E. by E.) from Newark; containing 170 inhabitants. The parish comprises 1152a. 3r. 30p. of land, chiefly the property of Sir Robert Heron, Bart., who is lord of the manor; the surface is varied, and the lower parts are watered by streams tributary to the river Witham. Stubton Hall, the seat of Sir Robert, is a spacious and handsome modern mansion; in the grounds is an extensive collection of birds and quadrupeds. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £12. 3. 9., and in the gift of Sir Robert: the tithes have been commuted for £270, and the glebe comprises 44 acres. The present church, a neat structure with a tower, was built in 1800. John Hargrave, in 1680, bequeathed land now producing £58 per annum, for the repair of the church, and for the poor.