A Topographical Dictionary of England. Originally published by S Lewis, London, 1848.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
TABLEY INFERIOR, a township, in the parish of Great Budworth, union of Altrincham, hundred of Bucklow, N. division of the county of Chester, 2 miles (S. W. by W.) from Knutsford; containing 134 inhabitants. The township comprises 2019 acres, one-fourth in tillage, and the rest pasture; the soil is clay. Tabley House, the seat of Lord de Tabley, is replete with natural and artificial embellishments. The ancient house, the former seat of the family, is, with good taste, preserved; it is a fine specimen of the old habitations of the aristocracy of the country, and is situated on an island. Near it is an ancient chapel, in which service is regularly performed. The first peer, who received the title in 1826, was distinguished for his munificent patronage of the fine arts, and his encouragement of native artists.
TABLEY SUPERIOR, a township, in the parish of Rosthern, union of Altrincham, hundred of Bucklow, N. division of the county of Chester, 2 miles (W. N. W.) from Knutsford; containing 510 inhabitants. It comprises 2428 acres, partly a clay and partly a sand soil; the surface is generally level, and the farms are principally pastured for the dairy. A Roman way called Holford-street passes through the township in its course from Manchester to Northwich, and here are the ruins of an ancient chapel called, from its situation by the road side, "The chapel in the street."
Tachbrook, Bishop's (St. Chad)
TACHBROOK, BISHOP'S (St. Chad), a parish, in the union of Warwick, partly in the Kenilworth division of the hundred of Knigtlow, but chiefly in the Warwick division of the hundred of Kington, S. division of the county of Warwick, 2½ miles (S. by W.) from Leamington, on the road to Banbury; containing 723 inhabitants, of whom 648 are in the township. The parish comprises by computation 3200 acres. The surface is boldly undulated, and the soil in general a strong clayey earth, forming good corn land; threefourths are arable. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £5. 13. 4.; net income, £293; patron, the Bishop of Lichfield: there are about 4 acres of glebe, and a house. The church has a fine tower. A school, erected in 1771, is endowed with £39 per annum.
TACHBROOK-MALLORY, a hamlet, in the parish of Bishop's-Tachbrook, union of Warwick, Kenilworth division of the hundred of Knightlow, S. division of the county of Warwick; containing 75 inhabitants, and comprising 942 acres.
Tackley (St. Nicholas)
TACKLEY (St. Nicholas), a parish, in the union of Woodstock, hundred of Wootton, county of Oxford, 3¼ miles (N. E.) from Woodstock; containing 583 inhabitants. It comprises 2825 acres, of which 154 are common or waste. Earth of a peculiar quality, used for flooring barns, cottages, &c., abounds in the parish. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £19. 9. 4½., and in the gift of St. John's College, Oxford: the tithes have been commuted for £750; there is a parsonage-house, and the glebe contains 56¼ acres. The church is an ancient cruciform structure, chiefly in the early English style. There are places of worship for Wesleyans. The Roman Akeman-street passes through the parish, and separates the two manors of the Duke of Marlborough, and Sir Henry Dashwood, Bart., in the latter of which two gateways of an ancient mansion built by the Harborne family still remain.
Tacolneston (All Saints)
TACOLNESTON (All Saints), a parish, in the union and hundred of Depwade, E. division of Norfolk, 5 miles (S. S. E.) from Wymondham; containing 518 inhabitants. The parish is situated on the road from New Buckenham to Norwich. The Hall, a fine brick mansion, is a good specimen of the domestic style prevaleut in the 17th century; it is said to have been built in 1670, by the Browne family, who then held the estate. Edward I. granted to John de Uvedale a market to be held on Wednesdays, and two yearly fairs, all of which have fallen into disuse. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £12, and in the patronage of Mrs. Warren; net income, £498. The parsonagehouse, a neat and commodious mansion, has been much improved by the Rev. W. Corbould; the glebe consists of about 33 acres. The church is partly in the early and partly in the later English style, and contains monuments to the Knipe and Gobbet families. At the inclosure, 10 acres of land were allotted to the poor. John Tasephans, prior of the Carmelite friary at Norwich, a learned and pious divine, and a powerful orator, was born here in 1404.
Tadcaster (St. Mary)
TADCASTER (St. Mary), a market-town and parish, chiefly in the Upper division of the wapentake of Barkstone-Ash, but partly in the W. division of Ainsty wapentake, W. riding of York; containing, with the townships of Catterton, Oxton, and Stutton with Hazlewood, 3188 inhabitants, of whom 2693 are in the town, 867 being in East and 1826 in West Tadcaster, 10 miles (S. W.) from York, and 189½ (N. N. W.) from London. This place was the Roman station Calcaria, so named from the soil abounding with calx, or limestone; and was one of the out-ports, or gates, on the Consular way, to the Romans' chief military station, Eboracum (York). Under the name Calca-cester Bede relates that Heina, the first who assumed the habit of a nun in this country, retired hither, and built a residence. In all the great civil wars, Tadcaster was regarded as a post of considerable importance, and the possession of it was repeatedly contested. On the appointment of the Earl of Newcastle to the command of the royal army, in 1642, he advanced from York towards the town, with 4000 men and seven pieces of cannon, and commenced an attack on the enemy's works, which lasted without intermission from eleven in the morning to five in the afternoon. His ammunition being then exhausted, he desisted from the assault, in expectation of a fresh supply from York, before the following morning; but during the night, Sir Thomas Fairfax, who was posted here with 700 men, drew them off to Cawood and Selby, and left the royalists in possession.
The town is situated on the navigable river Wharfe, over which is a very handsome stone bridge, considered the finest in the county, erected in the beginning of the last century. As a public thoroughfare, it is much frequented; it contains numerous inns and hotels, and on the river are several flour-mills. The streets are arranged on each side of the stream; the houses are neat and modern. The walks near the Wharfe are highly interesting, and have been greatly improved. There is a station on the York and North-Midland railway at Bolton-Percy, within three miles: the Harrogate and Kirk-Fenton railway, opened in August 1847, runs by the town; and the direct York and Leeds line also passes in its vicinity. The market is on Wednesday: fairs are held on the last Wednesdays in the months of May and October, for cattle and sheep; and in November, for hiring servants. The parish comprises 7379a. 15p.; the soil is generally fertile, and the substratum abounds with freestone of admirable quality, of which one quarry, called the Jackdaw Crag, belonging to the Vavasour family, supplied stone for the erection of York Minster, and also materials for its repair after the conflagration in 1829. The scenery in many parts is beautiful. Grimston Hall, the seat of Lord Howden, is a splendid mansion, finely situated about two miles from the town, in a demesne commanding good views.
The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £8. 4. 9½.; net income, £240; patron, Col. Wyndham; impropriator, Thomas Shann, Esq. The church is a handsome structure in the later English style, with a fine tower. There are places of worship for Independents, Inghamites, Primitive Methodists, and Wesleyans. The grammar school, and an hospital for four men, were founded, and endowed with lands and the sum of £600, by Dr. Oglethorpe, Bishop of Carlisle, and the foundation was confirmed by licence in the 5th of Philip and Mary; the annual income is £120. A parochial school is supported; and forty girls are instructed by four women, almshouse pensioners, on the foundation of Mrs. Henrietta Dawson, who bequeathed £15 per annum to ten widows, and £10 a year to ten spinsters, with an additional £5 per annum, and £3 for coal, to each of the four women for teaching the children. A Sunday school, in connexion with the Established Church, was built by subscription in 1788, on a plot of ground given by the Earl of Egremont; Miss Hill has endowed it with £15 per annum. Roman coins have been found at different times; and outside part of the town are some vestiges of a trench, which is supposed to have been thrown up in the reign of Charles I.
TADDINGTON, a chapelry, in the parish and union of Bakewell, hundred of High Peak, N. division of the county of Derby, 3½ miles (S. S. W.) from Tideswell; containing, with the township of Priestcliffe, 499 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £87; patron, the Vicar of Bakewell; appropriators, the Dean and Chapter of Lichfield. The chapel, dedicated to St. Michael, is fast going to decay: near it is the mutilated shaft of an ancient cross. There is a place of worship for Baptists, A school, erected in 1805, is supported by a rent-charge of £15, the bequest of Michael White in 1798.
Tadley (St. Peter)
TADLEY (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Kingsclere, hundred of Overton, Kingsclere and N. divisions of the county of Southampton, 7 miles (N. N. W.) from Basingstoke; containing 817 inhabitants. It is on the road from Basingstoke to Aldermaston, and comprises about 2000 acres, of which 700 are common. A large number of brooms are made here. The living is annexed to the vicarage of Overton: the tithes have been commuted for £264, and the glebe contains about 1½ acre. There is a place of worship for Independents.
Tadlow (St. Giles)
TADLOW (St. Giles), a parish, in the union of Caxton and Arrington, hundred of Armingford, county of Cambridge, 4½ miles (E. S. E.) from Potton; containing 173 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £6. 17., and in the gift of the Master and Fellows of Downing College, Cambridge, who are the impropriators. The great tithes have been commuted for £5. 10., and those of the vicar for £125. 8.; there are 9 acres of glebe.
Tadmarton (St. Nicholas)
TADMARTON (St. Nicholas), a parish, in the union of Banbury, hundred of Bloxham, county of Oxford, 5 miles (W. S. W.) from Banbury; containing 404 inhabitants. It comprises by computation 2004a. 3r. 18p., of which 1308 acres are arable, 591 pasture, and 80 wood, furze, &c. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £13. 11. 0½.; net income, £307; patrons, the Provost and Fellows of Worcester College, Oxford. The church has a tower of three stages: the two lower are of the period of transition from the early English to the decorated; the upper stage is of the 15th century. The open sittings of the nave present some fine specimens of wood-carving, and the font is of good design. The work called Tadmarton Castle, and an adjacent one in Hook-Norton parish, called HookNorton Barrow, of both which there are vestiges, are supposed by some to have been raised by the Danes, when, in 914, they plundered this part of the county, and advanced with great havoc to Hook-Norton, where they killed many of the Saxons.
Takeley (Holy Trinity)
TAKELEY (Holy Trinity), a parish, in the union of Dunmow, hundred of Uttlesford, N. division of Essex, 4 miles (W.) from Dunmow; containing 899 inhabitants. This parish, which had formerly a very extensive forest, comprises 3155a. 4p., whereof about 2408 acres are arable, 486 meadow, and 106 wood. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £11; patron and appropriator, the Bishop of London. The appropriate tithes have been commuted for £654. 10., and the vicarial for £220; £105. 10. are paid to certain impropriators: a glebe belonging to the appropriator and impropriators contains 22a. 38p., and the vicar has 1a. 1r. 22p. The church is an ancient edifice of stone, with a south aisle, in which is a sepulchral chapel belonging to the Bassingbourne estate. A small priory was founded at Takeley in the reign of Henry I., as a cell to the abbey of St. Valery, in Picardy. Dr. Robert Fowler, Archbishop of Dublin, was buried here October 19th, 1801.
Talaton (St. James)
TALATON (St. James), a parish, in the union of Honiton, hundred of Hayridge, Collumpton and N. divisions of Devon, 3 miles (N. W. by N.) from Ottery St. Mary; containing 462 inhabitants. The parish comprises about 2100 acres, of which 87 are common: the London and Exeter road runs through it. Escott House, here, which was destroyed by fire in 1808, was erected in the reign of James II.; and several of the men employed in the work were tried by Judge Jefferies, and sentenced to be hanged in the parish, for having joined in Monmouth's rebellion. George III., and three of the princesses, were entertained in the mansion by Sir George Young, Bart., on the 14th of August, 1780. Escott is now the seat of the Kennaway family. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £32. 3. 1½., and in the gift of the Rev. R. P. Welland: the tithes have been commuted for £333; there is a parsonage-house, and the glebe contains 62 acres. The church is in the later English style, with a very handsome tower, and contains several canopied niches having figures of saints, and a beautiful wooden screen, with a flight of stone steps leading to a rood-loft. A church was erected at Escott, by Sir J. Kennaway, at an expense of more than £2000, and consecrated on the 8th of May, 1840; the east and west windows, of large dimensions, are embellished with painted glass. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the gift of the Founder. Dr. Thomas Sprat, Bishop of Rochester, was born here in 1636, his father being rector. Southcote, in the parish, was the occasional residence of Sir William Pole, the antiquary.
TALK-O'-TH'-HILL, a chapelry, in the parish of Audley, union of Newcastle-under-Lyme, N. division of the hundred of Pirehill and of the county of Stafford, 5 miles (N. N. W.) from Newcastle; containing 1611 inhabitants. The tradition with respect to the name of this place is, that Charles I. held a "talk" or council of war here in the civil commotions of his reign. The township comprises 1740 acres, of which about a third is arable land; the surface generally is elevated, affording beautiful views of the Wrekin, the Welsh hills, the Peckforton range, and Beeston Castle, and including nine counties. Coal-mines are wrought, producing about 35,000 tons annually; and stone, of very good quality, is quarried. The old road from London to Liverpool passed through the village; the altered road, avoiding the hill, passes half a mile to the east. The Trent and Mersey Canal Company have a wharf about a mile distant. In the centre of the village is a stone cross, where a market used to be held. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £150; patron, the Vicar of Audley; impropriator, G. Toilet, Esq. The chapel is a small brick building, lately improved and repaired. The Wesleyans have a place of worship. A free school, built in 1760, is endowed with land producing £15 per annum; and there is a national school, founded by the late Rev. Thomas Garratt; also a dissenters' school. In the grounds of J. J. Caldwell, Esq., at Linley Wood, are evident remains of an encampment, supposed to be Roman, where many relics have been dug up. About a mile from the village is a spring, the water of which is of a blueish milky colour, strongly impregnated with sulphur, and much in request for cutaneous diseases; and near Bignall Hill is another spring, of nearly the same quality.
TALKIN, a township, in the parish of Hayton, union of Brampton, Eskdale ward, E. division of Cumberland, 3 miles (S. E. by S.) from Brampton; containing 344 inhabitants. The township comprises 2357 acres, of which 1400 are common or waste land; it is bounded on the west by the river Gelt, and contains quarries of freestone and limestone, and some collieries. The tithes have been commuted for £33. 15. payable to an impropriator, £45. 10. to the Dean and Chapter of Carlisle, and £50 to the vicar of Brampton. Three valuable gold clasps were discovered in 1790, on Netherton farm, where a battle was anciently fought.
Talland (St. Tallan)
TALLAND (St. Tallan), a parish, in the union of Liskeard, hundred of West, E. division of Cornwall; containing, with the town of West Looe, and part of the village of Polperro, 1450 inhabitants. The parish comprises 1860a. 2r. 17p., and is bounded on the south by the English Channel, and on the east by a small estuary called the Looe river, which is nearly dry at low water. Stone is quarried for the roads. A canal was constructed about the year 1830, from Moor's water, near Liskeard, to within two miles of West Looe, forming a communication with the river; and a new road has been made from the town towards Pelynt Church Town, from some parts of which the views are much admired. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £10; patron, N. Kendall, Esq.; impropriator, J. Graves, Esq. The great tithes have been commuted for £314. 14., and the vicarial for £136. A Roman Catholic chapel was lately erected by aid of a bequest from Sir Harry Trelawney.
TALLENTIRE, a township, in the parish of Bridekirk, union of Cockermouth, Allerdale ward below Derwent, W. division of Cumberland, 3¾ miles (N. by W.) from Cockermouth; containing 246 inhabitants. Limestone is quarried and burned in the vicinity. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for £104, and the vicarial for £23.
Tallington (St. Lawrence)
TALLINGTON (St. Lawrence), a parish, in the union of Stamford, wapentake of Ness, parts of Kesteven, county of Lincoln, 3 miles (W. by S.) from Market-Deeping; containing 246 inhabitants. The river Welland, and a canal from Stamford to Boston, run through the southern part of the parish. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £8. 9. 8.; net income, £200; patron and impropriator, the Earl of Lindsey. The tithes were commuted for land and a money payment in 1801; the glebe contains about 120 acres. On the outside of the church, above the chancel is a rood bell, formerly rung at the elevation of the host. Edward Heron, in 1582, bequeathed some tenements and land to the parish, now producing, with an augmentation, £45 per annum.
TALWORTH, a hamlet, in the parish of Long Ditton, union, and Second division of the hundred, of Kingston, E. division of Surrey, 2¼ miles (S. S. E.) from Kingston; containing 317 inhabitants. It is on the road from Kingston to Ewell, and is divided from other parts of the parish, by an intervening portion of the parish of Kingston. The place is of considerable antiquity, and mention of it occurs in Domesday book, in which the name is Taleorde; but the mansion-house of Talworth Court, situated here, has long dwindled into a mere farmhouse.