A Topographical Dictionary of England. Originally published by S Lewis, London, 1848.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
Bonchurch (St. Boniface)
BONCHURCH (St. Boniface), a parish, in the liberty of East Medina, Isle of Wight division of the county of Southampton, ½ a mile (N. E.) from Ventnor; containing 302 inhabitants. This place, lying on the south coast of the island, is of remote antiquity; its church, which is one of the oldest in the neighbourhood, appears to have been originally founded by some monks of the abbey of Lyra, in Normandy, who were sent over to convert the fishermen on this coast to Christianity. The parish comprises 540 acres, whereof 77 are common or waste. The living is a discharged rectory, with that of Shanklin annexed, valued in the king's books at £6. 15. 5.; net income, £134; patrons, Charles Popham Hill, Esq., and the Trustees of the late J. Popham, Esq. The tithes of the parish of Bonchurch have been commuted for a yearly rent-charge of £51. 10., and the glebe consists of 4¾ acres. Admiral Hobson was a native of the parish.
Bondgate, with Aismunderby
BONDGATE, with Aismunderby, a township, in the parish and liberty of Ripon, W. riding of York, ½ a mile (S.) from Ripon; containing 614 inhabitants, of whom 541 are in Bondgate. The township adjoins Ripon, of which Bondgate forms the southern suburb. An hospital for two poor women was founded here by one of the archbishops of York, about the time of King John.
Bonds, with Barnacre.—See Barnacre.
BONEHILL, a liberty, in the chapelry of Fazeley, parish and union of Tamworth, S. division of the hundred of Offlow and of the county of Stafford, 1½ mile (S. W. by W.) from Tamworth; containing 323 inhabitants. It lies on the north side of Drayton manor. The Fazeley canal passes through it.
Boningale, or Boninghall
BONINGALE, or Boninghall, a parish, in the union of Shiffnall, Shiffnall division of the hundred of Brimstree, S. division of Salop, 5¼ miles (S. E.) from Shiffnall; containing 184 inhabitants. The living is annexed to the rectory of Stockton: the tithes have been commuted for £231. 7. 6., and there are 11 acres of glebe.
Bonnington (St. Rumwald)
BONNINGTON (St. Rumwald), a parish, in the union of East Ashford, partly in the liberty of Romney-Marsh, but chiefly in the hundred of Street, lathe of Shepway, E. division of Kent, 7 miles (S. E. by S.) from Ashford; containing 155 inhabitants. The parish comprises by measurement 1086 acres, of which 615 are pasture, 330 arable, 36 woodland, and 20 acres hops; and is situated in the undulated slope which lies between the Quarry hills on the north, and the extensive level of Romney-Marsh on the south. The surface is pleasingly diversified, chiefly with pasture and wood; the soil is a stiff clay. The Grand Military, or Shorncliffe and Rye, canal crosses the parish. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £10. 12. 8½.; net income, £125; patron, T. Papillon, Esq.: there are about 20 acres of glebe. The church is small.
Bonnington, Sutton, county of Nottingham.—See Sutton-Bonnington.
Bonsall (St. James)
BONSALL (St. James), a parish, in the hundred of Wirksworth, S. division of the county of Derby, 3½ miles (N. by W.) from Wirksworth; containing 1496 inhabitants. This parish, anciently called Bonteshall, comprises by computation 2338 acres. The village was formerly a market-town, and is situated in a district strikingly diversified with hills and dales: among the latter, the most interesting is Bonsall Dale, of which the geological formation consists of four strata of limestone and three of toadstone. The neighbouring hills also abound with limestone; and lead-ore and lapis calaminaris are obtained in great quantities within the parish, and prepared on the spot, affording employment to many of the inhabitants. The village consists of numerous houses scattered over a considerable portion of ground; in the centre is the ancient market-cross, bearing date 1687, and consisting of a pillar, resting upon a base to which is an ascent of fifteen steps, and surmounted by a ball. The manufacture of combs is carried on to a moderate extent: about a third of the population is employed at stocking and drawer frames, and there is a saw-mill for cutting the white semi-marble Hopton stone. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £9. 16. 0½.; net income, £201: patron, the Bishop of Lichfield: there are 67 acres of glebe, with a house. The church is a handsome and picturesque old structure, with some good pointed windows remaining, and a tower surmounted by an elegant octangular spire; the interior is adorned with a variety of neatly executed mural monuments. There is a place of worship for General Baptists; and a school is endowed with £100 per annum, arising from tenements bequeathed by William Cragge and his wife Elizabeth in 1704, and lands by Elizabeth Turnor in 1763. Vestiges of a Roman road may be traced.
BONTHORPE, a hamlet, in the parish of Willoughby, union of Spilsby, Wold division of the hundred of Calceworth, parts of Lindsey, county of Lincoln, 3 miles (S. S. E.) from the town of Alford; containing 14 inhabitants.
BONWICK, a township, in the parish of Skipsea, union of Skirlaugh, N. division of the wapentake of Holderness, E. riding of York, 11½ miles (E. S. E.) from Driffield; containing 29 inhabitants. Bonwick, or Bovingwick, is not named in the Domesday book, being probably included, with Skipsea and other parts of the parish, in the "adjacent lands" of the manor of Cleton. The place consists of two farms, respectively designated High and Low Bonwick. A rent-charge of £25. 5. 3. has been awarded as a commutation for the tithes, payable to the Archbishop of York.
Bookham, Great (St. Nicholas)
BOOKHAM, GREAT (St. Nicholas), a parish, in the union of Epsom, hundred of Effingham, W. division of Surrey, 2½ miles (W. S. W.) from Leatherhead; containing 963 inhabitants. It comprises by measurement 3242 acres, of which 1446 are arable, 629 meadow and pasture, 264 woodland, 105 acres gardens and buildings, 23 public road, and 775 common. Within the parish is the estate of Polesden, which was the property of Sheridan, soon after whose decease it was purchased by Joseph Bonsor, Esq., whose son, of the same name, is the present possessor. The living is a discharged vicarage, endowed with a moiety of the rectorial tithes, and valued in the king's books at £9. 17. 3½.; patron, the Rev. W. Heberden. The rectorial tithe rent-charge is £442, and the vicarial £165; there are 12 acres of glebe. The church is an ancient structure in the early English style, and contains numerous handsome monuments. Sir George Shiers, Bart., in 1690 bequeathed a rent-charge of £36. 3. for apprenticing children, and other charitable purposes.
BOOKHAM, LITTLE, a parish, in the union of Epsom, hundred of Effingham, W. division of Surrey, 3½ miles (W. S. W.) from Leatherhead; containing 237 inhabitants. This parish, which is on the road from London to Guildford, and bounded by the river Mole, contains 945 acres, of which 112 are woodland, and 129 common or waste; the soil comprises clay, gravel, and chalk. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £6. 15. 7.; patron and incumbent, the Rev. G. P. Boileau Pollen. The tithes have been commuted for £154, and £10 are paid to the Vicar of Effingham; there are 41 acres of glebe. The church has some memorials to the Pollen and Boileau families. Certain tenements in London, producing about £65 per annum, were assigned by Sir Benjamin Maddox, a moiety to the clergyman, and the other moiety for the benefit of the poor and the parish clerk, and for repairing the church and the highways.
BOOTH, a hamlet, in the township of Knedlington, parish of Howden, wapentake of Howdenshire, E. riding of York, 2 miles (S. W.) from Howden; containing 36 inhabitants. The village lies on the northern bank of the river Ouse, across which is a ferry.
Booth, New Laund, with Filley-Close
BOOTH, NEW LAUND, with Filley-Close and Reedley-Hallows, a township, in the parish of Whalley, union of Burnley, Higher division of the hundred of Blackburn, N. division of the county of Lancaster, 2 miles (N.) from Burnley; containing 412 inhabitants. These three places are ancient vaccaries of Pendle; they comprise 815 acres. The river Calder divides Filley-Close and New Laund from Reedley-Hallows; and the Leeds and Liverpool canal also passes through the township.
Booth, Old Laund
BOOTH, OLD LAUND, a township, in the chapelry of Newchurch-in-Pendle, parish of Whalley, union of Burnley, Higher division of the hundred of Blackburn, N. division of the county of Lancaster, 3 miles (N.) from Burnley; containing 481 inhabitants. It lies on the north-east side of Pendle forest, and consists of 246 acres, with scattered houses amidst tolerably wooded pastures. Old Laund Hall is a very ancient stronglybuilt fabric; it was some time since purchased by Mr. Greenwood, of Palace House, from the lords of Clitheroe. A church dedicated to St. Anne was built at Fence, in Old Laund, in 1837, and endowed by the late Mrs. Holden, of Palace House: the living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Holden family. There is a national school.
Boothby (St. Andrew)
BOOTHBY (St. Andrew), a parish, in the Higher division of the wapentake of Boothby-Graffo, parts of Kesteven, union and county of Lincoln, 10 miles (N. W. by N.) from Sleaford; containing 214 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £11. 12. 3½.; net income, £638; patron, J. Fullerton, Esq. The tithes were commuted for land in 1771.
Boothby-Pagnell (St. Andrew)
BOOTHBY-PAGNELL (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union of Grantham, wapentake of Winnibrigs and Threo, parts of Kesteven, county of Lincoln, 5¼ miles (N. N. W.) from Corby; containing 132 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £11. 10. 5., and in the patronage of J. Litchford, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for £312. 14., and there are upwards of 121 acres of glebe.
BOOTHEN, a township, in the parish and union of Stoke-upon-Trent, N. division of the hundred of Pirehill and of the county of Stafford, 1 mile (S.) from Stoke; containing 144 inhabitants. The river Trent and the Grand Trunk canal pass in the vicinity of this place.
BOOTHS, HIGHER, a township, in the parish of Whalley, union of Haslingden, Higher division of the hundred of Blackburn, N. division of the county of Lancaster, 2 miles (N.) from Rawtenstall, and 2½ (N. N. E.) from Haslingden; containing 3652 inhabitants. This township comprises 2606 acres of land; it is on the road from Manchester to Burnley, and includes the villages of Goodshaw-Booth, Goodshaw-Fold, Crawshaw-Booth, Low-Clough, and Sunny-Side, all of them within the district of Rossendale. The tenures are copyhold, of the honour of Clitheroe. Coal and stone are wrought; there are two extensive calico-printing establishments, and many cotton-mills. Among the more remarkable residences in the township are, Crawshaw-Booth Hall, an ancient stone building; Rake; and Low-Clough; and near the print-works at SunnySide, are the elegant mansions of their owners. Goodshaw has a chapel, to which a district has been assigned, co-extensive with the township: the living is a perpetual curacy, with a net income of £150; patrons, the Hulme Trustees. The chapel stands on Morrell Height; it was erected in the reign of Henry VIII., and rebuilt in 1829. The Wesleyans, Baptists, Primitive Methodists, and Society of Friends have places of worship; and there are several schools, one of which, situated at CrawshawBooth, and in connexion with the Church, was built in 1835–6.
BOOTHS, LOWER, a township, in the parish of Whalley, union of Haslingden, Higher division of the hundred of Blackburn, N. division of the county of Lancaster; containing 2464 inhabitants. It comprises 948 acres, extends to the banks of the Irwell, and includes part of the thriving village of Rawtenstall: the farms, which are small, are chiefly copyhold. The inhabitants are principally employed in the cotton and woollen mills in the neighbourhood. The Unitarians have a place of worship, originally built for an Independent congregation. Lower Booths, like the preceding township, is in the district of Rossendale.
Bootle (St. Michael)
BOOTLE (St. Michael), a market-town and parish, and the head of a union, in Allerdale ward above Derwent, W. division of Cumberland, 5½ miles (S. S. E.) from Ravenglass, and 282 (N. W. by N.) from London; containing 696 inhabitants. The name of this place, formerly written "Bothill," is supposed to be derived from the booths erected on a hill above the town, for the watchmen whose duty it was to light the beacon on its summit, upon the discovery of any ships in the Irish Channel which might appear to threaten a descent upon the coast. A Benedictine nunnery was founded at Seton, in the parish, by Gunild, daughter of Henry de Boyvill, fourth lord of Millorn; to which Henry IV. annexed the hospital of St. Leonard, in Lancaster. Its revenue, at the Dissolution, was £13. 17. 4.: there are still some remains. The town is pleasantly situated within two miles of the sea; the houses are neatly built, and the inhabitants well supplied with water. The land in the neighbourhood is in a high state of cultivation, and the environs abound with pleasing scenery: the Corney and Bootle Fells, eminences in the adjoining forest of Copeland, afford extensive views; and from Black Coombe, which is nearly 2000 feet high, may be seen the coast of Scotland, the Isle of Man, and the mountains of North Wales. The trade is principally in corn, pork, and bacon, which are sent to Liverpool: the market is on Saturday; and fairs are held on April 5th and Sept. 24th, for the sale of corn, and for hiring servants; and April 26th and August 3rd, for horses, horned-cattle, and sheep.
The parish comprises 5800 acres, of which 900 are common or waste. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £19. 17. 3½., and in the patronage of the Earl of Lonsdale: the tithes have been commuted for £436, and there are 14 acres of glebe. The church is a very ancient edifice, much modernised by successive repairs; the interior contains some interesting monuments, among which is an effigy on a brass plate of Sir Hugh Askew, and has been lately enlarged. A place of worship for Independents was built in 1780. A free school was founded in 1713, by Henry Singleton, who endowed it with £200, which sum, with subsequent benefactions, produces about £20 per annum. The poor law union of Bootle comprises 12 parishes or places, and contains a population of 5516. At Selker bay, a small inlet of the sea, are sometimes seen the remains of vessels, which are traditionally said to have been Roman galleys, sunk there at the time of an invasion by that people; and at Esk-Meots are vestiges of an encampment, where Roman coins and fragments of altars have been frequently discovered.
Bootle, with Linacre
BOOTLE, with Linacre, a township and chapelry, in the parish of Walton-on-the-Hill, union and hundred of West Derby, S. division of the county of Lancaster, 4 miles (N.) from Liverpool; containing in 1846 about 4090 inhabitants. Four thanes at the time of the Domesday survey held "Boltelai" as four manors. Afterwards the district belonged to Warin Bussel, whose daughter married Roger Fitz-Richard; and the son of the latter, Richard Fitz-Roger, founder of Lytham, left four coheiresses, through whom the lands passed into as many families. The manor subsequently was held by the Mores, and from them was purchased by the Stanleys. At this place are some works for supplying the town of Liverpool with water, from a spring which formerly discharged itself at Bootle bay, on the coast, after turning a mill within half a mile of its source. The project of bringing the water to Liverpool was suggested so early as the 8th year of Queen Anne, when Sir Cleave More, the second baronet, obtained a private act of parliament for the purpose. Anciently there were paperworks and flour-mills at Bootle; the latter were destroyed by fire some years ago.
The township is beautifully situated on the shores of the Mersey, at its mouth; and comprises 837 acres of land, the property of the Earl of Derby. The soil is light and good, resting on a substratum of red sandstone, which is used for building; the beach is firm, of great extent, and much resorted to for bathing, and horse exercise. The village is well built; there are numerous elegant villas, and ranges of houses inhabited by the merchants of Liverpool, and some excellent hotels and lodging-houses with every accommodation for visiters. The expansive views of the sea, the Cheshire coast, mountains of Wales, &c., are highly attractive in this quarter. Bootle Hall is the seat of William Mc Cormick, Esq. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of W. S. Miller, Esq.; net income, £250. Rent-charges amounting to £235 have been awarded as commutations for the tithes. The chapel, dedicated to St. Mary, was built in 1820, and was enlarged and a tower added in 1847; it is a cruciform structure, with a neat interior. There are places of worship for Wesleyans and Baptists; and a Roman Catholic chapel, dedicated to St. James, has been just built at a cost of £3500: it is in the early English style, with a square tower and a spire; and schools and a house for the priest are attached.
Booton (St. Michael)
BOOTON (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of St. Faith's, hundred of South Erpingham, E. division of Norfolk, 1 mile (E. S. E.) from Reepham; containing 241 inhabitants. It is intersected by the road from Norwich to Reepham, and comprises 1040 acres. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £7. 12. 6., and in the gift of H. Elwin, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for £294, and there are about 23 acres of glebe. The church is chiefly in the decorated style, with a square embattled tower. At the inclosure, in 1811, twenty acres were allotted to the poor.
Boraston, Salop.—See Buraston.
BORDEAN, a tything, in the parish and hundred of East Meon, union of Petersfield, Petersfield and N. divisions of the county of Southampton, 3½ miles (W. by N.) from Petersfield; containing 109 inhabitants.
Borden (St. Peter and St. Paul)
BORDEN (St. Peter and St. Paul), a parish, in the union and hundred of Milton, Upper division of the lathe of Scray, E. division of Kent, 2¾ miles (W. by S.) from Sittingbourne; containing 860 inhabitants, and comprising 2143a. 2r. 37p., of which 374 acres are in wood. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £8. 10., and in the gift of J. Musgrave, Esq., the impropriator: the great tithes have been commuted for £550, and the vicarial for £270; there are about 3½ acres of glebe, with a residence. The church, a handsome structure of flint, supposed to have been erected about the year 1005, comprises three aisles and three chancels, with a square tower at the western end. There are some Roman bricks mixed with the flint stones in the building, and cemented with mortar in the composition of which pulverized cockle-shells have been used; the chief entrance is under a Norman arch, and similar specimens of architecture occur in other parts of the edifice. In 1707, William Barrow left land for the benefit of widows and families who have never received parochial relief; the estates, which are in several parishes, return an income of £1500 a year. A British coin, and several relics of Roman antiquity, together with a great quantity of round stones, like cannon-balls, have been found in the neighbourhood; and Danes Hill, in the parish, is supposed to have taken its name from a great battle fought here when the Danes held a fort at Milton, some traces of which are still to be seen. Dr. Robert Plot, the natural historian of Oxfordshire and Staffordshire, was born at the manor-house of Sutton Baron, in the parish, where he died on April 13th, 1696.