A Topographical Dictionary of England. Originally published by S Lewis, London, 1848.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
MILFORD, a village and ecclesiastical district, in the parish of Duffield, union of Belper, hundred of Appletree, S. division of the county of Derby, 2 miles (S.) from Belper; the village containing 895, and the district 2100, inhabitants. The village, which is situated on the river Derwent, and on the road from Derby to Matlock, and is now a considerable place, consisted prior to 1781 of only eight houses. At that period Messrs. Strutt built a cotton-mill, and the firm has now a large cotton-manufactory and some extensive bleaching and dye works here: there is also an iron-foundry. These establishments afford employment to the greater portion of the population; about 1000 persons are engaged in the various branches of the cotton manufacture. Messrs. Strutt early built a handsome stone bridge over the Derwent, which is now a county bridge. The Midland railway passes through a tunnel here, half a mile in length, 22 feet wide, and 26 feet high. The ecclesiastical district was constituted in January, 1846, under the act 6th and 7th Victoria, cap. 37; its extent is about a square mile, of hilly surface: there are considerable stone-quarries. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Crown and the Bishop of Lichfield, alternately. A church is about to be erected; it will be in the early English style, will seat 516 persons, and will cost £2024. The Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists have each a place of worship, both of stone, the former built in 1842, the latter in 1825. A school is supported by the proprietors of the cotton-works.
MILFORD, a parish, in the union of Lymington, partly in the hundred of Ringwood, New Forest (East) division, but chiefly in the hundred of Christchurch, Lymington and S. divisions, of the county of Southampton, 3 miles (S. W.) from Lymington; containing, with the tythings of Efford, Keyhaven, and Pennington, 1819 inhabitants, of whom 504 are in the tything of Milford. The parish is bounded on the south-east by the Isle of Wight channel; and comprises 4647a. 2r. 16p., of which 2604 acres are arable, 1308 pasture, 246 woodland, 257 in gardens and pools, and 230 uninclosed common. Its surface is beautifully varied; and a limpid stream, which rises in the New Forest, flows through the parish. The living is a vicarage, with that of Hordle annexed, valued in the king's books at £20. 12. 1½.; patrons, the Provost and Fellows of Queen's College, Oxford; impropriators, John Pulteney, Esq., and others. The great tithes have been commuted for £92, and the vicarial for £290; the glebe comprises 20 acres. A second church was built in the parish, at Pennington, in 1838.
MILFORD, a district, in the parish of St. Martin, union of Alderbury, hundred of Underditch, Salisbury and Amesbury, and S. divisions of Wilts, ½ a mile (E.) from Salisbury; containing, with part of Ford tything, 537 inhabitants.
Milford, in the wapentake of Barkstone-Ash, county of York.—See Kirkby-Wharfe.
MILFORD, SOUTH, a township, in the parish of Sherburn, Upper division of the wapentake of Barkstone-Ash, W. riding of York, 4¾ miles (N. by E.) from Ferry-Bridge; containing 751 inhabitants. A station on the Leeds and Selby railway is fixed at this place, and the York and North-Midland line enters the township soon after passing under the former. A district church was built by the Misses Gascoigne in 1846, on a site given by Lincoln College, Oxford; it is in the style of the 13th century, and cost £1500. In digging for the Leeds and Selby railroad, an ancient burialground was discovered, supposed to have belonged to one of the four chapels formerly attached to Sherburn according to Domesday book. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.
MILKHOUSE-STREET, a hamlet, in the parish, union, and hundred of Cranbrooke, Lower division of the lathe of Scray, W. division of Kent, 1¼ mile (N. E.) from Cranbrooke. A small manufacture for hop-bagging is carried on. The Wesleyans have a place of worship. Here are the interesting remains of a chapel dedicated to the Holy Trinity; also the ruins of Sissinghurst Castle, formerly the seat of Sir Richard Baker, Knt., author of the English Chronicle.
MILLAND-VILLE, an extra-parochial liberty, adjacent to the city, and within the liberty of the soke, of Winchester, union of Winchester, Winchester and N. divisions of the county of Southampton; containing 156 inhabitants.
Millbrook (St. Michael)
MILLBROOK (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of Ampthill, hundred of Redbornestoke, county of Bedford, 1¼ mile (W. by N.) from Ampthill; containing 462 inhabitants. It comprises 1749a. 2r. 3p. The soil on the south side is of a light sandy nature, and on the north a strong clay; the surface is varied, and a chain of hills intersects the parish nearly in the centre. The females are employed in making pillow-lace and platting straw. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £9. 16. 3.; net income, £343; patron, the Crown. The tithes were commuted for land and corn-rents in 1795; the glebe comprises 14 acres, with a house. The church, situated on a lofty eminence, is a handsome structure in the later English style, and contains some ancient monuments, and one in marble, by Westmacott, to the Hon. Georgiana Fox, youngest daughter of the late Lord Holland; his lordship, who died in 1840, was also interred here. In the parish was a small cell of Benedictine monks, subordinate to the abbey of St. Alban's, who were afterwards removed to the Hermitage of Moddry.
Millbrook (St. Nicholas)
MILLBROOK (St. Nicholas), a parish, in the union of South Stoneham, hundred of Buddlesgate, Southampton and S. divisions of the county of Southampton, 2 miles (W. N. W.) from Southampton; containing 4232 inhabitants. The parish comprises 2947 acres, of which 408 are common or waste land. The surface rises gradually from the banks of the Southampton Water, and the scenery is pleasingly varied; the soil is generally light and shallow, resting upon gravel. At Mill Place are a large foundry, and works for the manufacture of long, marine, and locomotive engines; also a brass-foundry, in which 160 persons are employed. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £10. 6. 3.; patron, the Bishop of Winchester: the incumbent's tithes have been commuted for £554, and those of an impropriator for £266; there is an acre of glebe, with a parsonage-house. The church has been enlarged.—See Redbridge and Shirley.
MILL-HILL, an ecclesiastical district, in the parish and union of Hendon, hundred of Gore, county of Middlesex, 2½ miles (E. N. E.) from Edgware; containing 1050 inhabitants. The land is chiefly meadow and pasture, with a fine swelling surface, and varied and beautiful scenery, interspersed with several handsome residences. On Highwood hill is the mansion in which the celebrated Lord Russell dwelt previously to his arrest: the late William Wilberforce, M.P., also resided here; and subsequently Sir Stamford Raffles, to whom we owe the origin of the Zoological gardens, and whose lady is the present occupant. The living is a perpetual curacy, endowed; patron, the Vicar of Hendon. The church, dedicated to St. Paul, is a substantial and neat structure in the later English style, in the centre of the village, erected in 1833, chiefly at the expense of Mr. Wilberforce, and at a total cost of about £3500; attached to it is a cemetery, consecrated in 1842. There is a place of worship for Independents. The Protestant dissenters' grammar school here was founded in 1807, on the site of the residence of Peter Collinson, Esq., an eminent naturalist, at an expense of £25,000. A national school was built in 1834.
MILLINGTON, a township, in the parish of Rosthern, union of Altrincham, hundred of Bucklow. N. division of the county of Chester, 4½ miles (N. N. W.) from Knutsford; containing 312 inhabitants. The township comprises 619 acres, of a good clay and sand soil, cultivated for the dairy. The surface is somewhat more elevated than the surrounding country.
MILLINGTON, a parish, in the union of Pocklington, Wilton-Beacon division of the wapentake of Harthill, E. riding of York, 3 miles (N. E.) from Pocklington, and 16 (E.) from York; containing 268 inhabitants. The parish comprises by admeasurement 2491 acres, of which 1534 are arable, 887 pasture, and 70 wood; the surface is generally hilly, forming beautiful undulations, and the soil light, with chalk and flint. The village is picturesquely situated at the foot of the Wolds. Little Givendale, in the parish, is north of the village, and comprises 500 acres of arable and pasture land. The living is a vicarage, annexed to that of Great Givendale: the tithes were commuted for land and a money payment in 1768. The church was repewed in 1817. Here is a place of worship for Wesleyans; and a school is endowed with the interest of £300. Four ancient roads meet at this place, which is supposed to be the Roman Delgovicia. Remains exist of a strong camp, defended by immense earthworks from 60 to 90 feet in height, carried indiscriminately over hills and valleys, and encompassed with four, and in some places six, ditches, inclosing altogether an area of 4185 acres, within which are several tumuli; and about half a mile north-east from the village, foundations of a circular temple and two oblong buildings, Roman pavements, tiles, coins, and various other relics of antiquity, have been discovered.
MILL-MEECE, a township, in the parish of Eccleshall, union of Stone, N. division of the hundred of Pirehill and of the county of Stafford, 3 miles (N. N. E.) from Eccleshall; containing 122 inhabitants. This place is situated in the Cotes quarter of the parish, and on the Sow river. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £127, payable to the Dean and Chapter of Lichfield.
Millom (Holy Trinity)
MILLOM (Holy Trinity), a parish, in the union of Bootle, Allerdale ward above Derwent, W. division of Cumberland; comprising the chapelries of Thwaites and Ulpha, and the townships of Birker with Austhwaite, Chapel-Sucken, and the Farm of Stainton; and containing 1979 inhabitants, of whom 411 are in the township of Lower Millom, and 511 in that of Upper Millom, 12 miles (S. E. by S.) from Ravenglass. The parish is bounded on the west and south by the Irish Sea, and on the east by the river Duddon, which forms a bay, famous for cockles and muscles, and abounding with salmon and sand-eels. The mineral productions are limestone, slate, and iron and copper ore; the limestone is found in quantities sufficient to be worked with advantage. The Whitehaven and Furness railway runs through the parish, and crosses the Duddon sands by an embankment and timber viaduct. A market and a fair were granted in the reign of Henry III., but they have been long disused. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £8. 5. 8., and in the patronage of the Crown, in right of the duchy of Lancaster; net income, £189; impropriator, the Earl of Lonsdale. The church, an ancient structure, contains a tablet to the memory of the Huddlestone family. At Thwaites and Ulpha are separate incumbencies. Here are the remains of Millom Castle, the ancient seat of the lords of Millom. In Upper Millom are several springs, called Holy wells, impregnated with purgative salt.
Millshields, with Espershields
MILLSHIELDS, with Espershields, a township, in the parish of Bywell St. Peter, union of Hexham, E. division of Tindale ward, S. division of Northumberland, 10½ miles (S. E. by S.) from Hexham; containing 198 inhabitants. Millshields is situated on the river Derwent, about a mile east of the hamlet of Espershields.
MILNES-BRIDGE, a hamlet, partly in the township of Linthwaite, parish of Almondbury, and partly in the townships of Golcar and Longwood, parish of Huddersfield, union of Huddersfield, Upper division of the wapentake of Agbrigg, W. riding of York. It is on the river Colne, and on the road from Huddersfield to Manchester. The village is very centrally situated, and its inhabitants have facilities of conveyance by the Manchester canal. Milnes-Bridge House was the residence of the Radcliffe family, of whom Joseph Radcliffe, Esq., received the honour of baronetage in 1813, for his exemplary conduct as a magistrate in quelling the Luddite disturbances about that period. St. Luke's district church, here, consecrated in November 1845, is built on a site given by Sir Joseph Radcliffe, the second baronet, and is in the Norman style; the cost was defrayed chiefly by the Armitage family. The living is in the Vicar's gift.
MILNROW, an ancient chapelry having parochial rights, in the township of Butterworth, parish and union of Rochdale, hundred of Salford, S. division of the county of Lancaster, 2 miles (E. by S.) from Rochdale. This place has long been distinguished for its manufacture of flannels; and of late years, cotton spinning, weaving, and printing have been extensively introduced. The chapelry has regularly-defined boundaries, a church rate, and all parish officers. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £150, with a house, built in 1833; patron, the Vicar of Rochdale. The ancient chapel, a small edifice, was taken down in 1796, and the present, a spacious structure, was erected on another site, and consecrated in 1799. A school was endowed by Alexander Butterworth, Esq., in 1726, with £20 per annum, since augmented to £26; and a national, and a Lancasterian school, are partly supported by subscription. There are two other schools, one in Hollingworth and the other in Ogden, the two extremities of the chapelry, endowed in 1727, by John Hill, the former with £30, and the latter with £25, per annum. On a bleak hill to the north of Milnrow, is the scattered village of Gallows, the site of the ancient baronial executions. John Collier, otherwise "Tim Bobbin," the popular author of The Lancashire Dialect, an eccentric caricaturist, poet, and musician, resided for 57 years at Milnrow, as the village schoolmaster, and was buried in Rochdale churchyard: some of his paintings are in the village.—See Butterworth.
Milnthorpe, with Heversham
MILNTHORPE, with Heversham, a township, in the parish of Heversham, union and ward of Kendal, county of Westmorland, 7½ miles (S. by W.) from Kendal, 32 (S. W. by S.) from Appleby, and 256 (N. W. by N.) from London; containing 1599 inhabitants, of whom 1159 are in the market-town of Milnthorpe. The town consists of four short streets, with some detached houses of neat appearance, and is beautifully situated in a valley on the northern bank of the river Bela, which empties itself into the estuary of the Ken: at spring tides the sea flows up to within a mile of the town. There are quarries of marble and limestone, and indications of iron-ore and of coal: a flax-mill and a ropery are in operation. Three-quarters of a mile east, is the Milnthorpe station of the Lancaster and Carlisle railway. The market is on Friday; and fairs are held on May 12th, and Oct. 17th, for cattle, sheep, and horses. Courts leet and baron are held annually. St. Thomas' church, consecrated on the 1st of October, 1837, stands prettily in the centre of the town; it is in the early English style, with a tower and pinnacles, and cost about £1600. Attached to it is a district including the hamlet of Ackenthwaite. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Vicar of Heversham; income, £120, with a house. A national school is partly supported by subscription.—See Heversham.
Milson (St. George)
MILSON (St. George), a parish, in the union of Cleobury-Mortimer, hundred of Overs, S. division of Salop, 3¼ miles (S. W.) from the town of CleoburyMortimer; containing 160 inhabitants. The living is annexed to the rectory of Neen-Sollars.
Milstead (St. Mary and the Holy Cross)
MILSTEAD (St. Mary and the Holy Cross), a parish, in the union and hundred of Milton, Upper division of the lathe of Scray, E. division of Kent, 3 miles (S. by W.) from Sittingbourne; containing 229 inhabitants, and comprising 1216a. 1r. 9p., of which 277 acres are in wood. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £8. 15.; income, £250; patron and incumbent, the Rev. H. Hinton. The church is in the early English style. An excellent rectory-house was built in 1833. John Wyatt, in 1722, gave land now producing £20 a year, for instruction.
Milston (St. Mary)
MILSTON (St. Mary), a parish, in the union and hundred of Amesbury, Everley and Pewsey, and S. divisions of Wilts, 2½ miles (N.) from Amesbury; containing, with the hamlet of Brigmerston, 110 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £12. 15. 2½.; net income, £275; patron and incumbent, the Rev. Peter Hall. Joseph Addison, the distinguished essayist and poet, was born at the parsonage-house, in 1672, his father being rector.