A Topographical Dictionary of England. Originally published by S Lewis, London, 1848.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
THICKLEY, EAST, a township, in the parish of St. Andrew Auckland, district of Shildon, union of Auckland, N. W. division of Darlington ward, S. division of the county of Durham, 4¼ miles (S. E.) from Bishop-Auckland; containing 452 inhabitants. This place, according to the Boldon book, was severed from the manor of Redworth. It belonged for many generations to the Lilburn family, of whom was Col. Lilburn, a celebrated leader on the side of the parliament in the civil war. The township comprises about 260 acres: the Stockton and Darlington railway passes in the vicinity of the village.
Thimbleby (St. Margaret)
THIMBLEBY (St. Margaret), a parish, in the union and soke of Horncastle, parts of Lindsey, county of Lincoln, 1½ mile (W. by N.) from Horncastle, on the Lincoln road; containing 398 inhabitants. This parish is bounded on the west by the navigable river Witham, and comprises 2557a. 1r. 38p. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £13. 10. 10.; net income, £441; patron, T. Hotchkin, Esq.: the tithes were commuted for land, and the rector has a house, erected on the glebe in 1839. The church was built in 1744, partly by money raised from a brief, and partly by the sale of the materials of the old edifice. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. Roman coins have been found; and many fossil shells, ammonites, &c., have been discovered in the blue clay upon the moor.
THIMBLEBY, a township, in the parish of Osmotherley, union of Northallerton, wapentake of Allertonshire, N. riding of York, 5½ miles (E. N. E.) from Northallerton; containing 172 inhabitants, some of whom are employed in the worsted manufacture. It comprises about 1670 acres, including the hamlet of Foxton, which is situated in the fertile vale of the Codbeck stream. The village, which is secluded, lies under the western acclivities of the Hamilton hills, and about one mile south from Osmotherley.
THINGWALL, a detached hamlet, in the township of Little Woolton, parish of Childwall, union and hundred of West Derby, S. division of Lancashire, 4½ miles (E.) from Liverpool. Thyngwall was given in exchange by King John to an individual whose name is not now on record. In the following reign Richard, son of Thurston de Holland, held a carucate of land here "of our lord the king," for one mark, in exchange for his inheritance in Snodden (Smithden), "which the king placed in his own forest." In the reign of Edward III., William de Thingwall held a moiety of the hamlet, by the service of 6s. 8d. The hamlet is separated from the main part of the township by the township of Childwall, and lies near the road from Liverpool to Prescot. The railway from Liverpool to Manchester also passes here.
THINGWELL, or Thingwall, a township, in the parish of Woodchurch, union, and Lower division of the hundred, of Wirrall, S. division of the county of Chester, 5½ miles (N. by W.) from Great Neston; containing 76 inhabitants. In the reign of Richard II. this place was held by the Domvilles, from whom it passed, through the Hulses and the Troutbecks, to the ancestors of the Earl of Shrewsbury, the present owner of the greater part. In 1662 the manor was claimed by the Earl of Kingston, the Earl of Shrewsbury, and Sir William Stanley, all of whom held lands in the township; and by some arrangement it was divided between the two former. Thingwell comprises 360 acres, the soil of which is partly clay and partly sand; it stands high, and is almost destitute of trees. The land is in general very inferior, and interspersed with large masses of redsandstone, which in many parts is quarried from the surface.
THIRKLEBY, a township, in the parish of KirbyGrindalyth, union of Malton, wapentake of Buckrose, E. riding of York, 10 miles (E. by S.) from Malton; containing 53 inhabitants. The lands of this township, which are laid out in two farms, comprise about 1800 acres, the property of Sir Tatton Sykes, Bart. The great tithes have been commuted for £155, and the small for £12.
Thirkleby (All Saints)
THIRKLEBY (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Thirsk, wapentake of Birdforth, N. riding of York, 4 miles (S. E. by E.) from Thirsk; containing, with the hamlet of Osgoodby, 309 inhabitants. It includes the villages of Great and Little Thirkleby, separated from each other by a stream; and comprises about 1800 acres of land. In Osgoodby are several principal farmhouses. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £6; net income, £200; patron and appropriator, the Archbishop of York. The glebe consists of between 30 and 40 acres, with a house; and a modus of £1 is paid to the vicar for the tithes of Osgoodby. The church was rebuilt in the year 1722, by Sir Thomas Frankland, Bart.
THIRLBY, a township, in the parish of Felix-Kirk, union of Thirsk, wapentake of Birdforth, N. riding of York, 5 miles (E. N. E.) from Thirsk; containing 127 inhabitants. It comprises about 506 acres of land, and its scattered village lies in a secluded valley, about a mile south-east of Felix-Kirk.
THIRLWALL, a township, in the parish and union of Haltwhistle, W. division of Tindale ward, S. division of Northumberland, 4 miles (W. N. W.) from Haltwhistle; containing 394 inhabitants. It has its name from the Roman thralling or barrier wall running through it, to thirl, in the old Northumberland dialect, signifying to bind or enthral. Its proprietors in remote times were called barons, and held under the kings of Scotland as lords of Tindale. The church of Hexham acquired lands here at an early period; the Swinburnes had possessions within the manor in the time of Edward I., and, by marriage with the Thirlwalls, became possessed of the whole estate, which they afterwards sold to Henry, Earl of Carlisle. Mention of a castle first occurs in 1369. The township comprises 7765 acres of land, on the eastern side of the river Irthing, which separates this county from Cumberland. Wardrew, an ancient mansion here, has been handsomely fitted up, to accommodate visiters who resort to the adjacent spas of Gilsland. On the western bank of the Tippal burn, which is here crossed by the great wall, are the ruins of the once strong castle, occupying the summit of a rocky knoll; the walls were nine feet thick, vaulted within, and defended by an outer wall of great strength. At the Gap, in the township, is a place of worship for Methodists.
THIRN, a township, in the parish of ThorntonWatlass, union of Leyburn, wapentake of Hang-East, N. riding of York, 4 miles (S. W. by W.) from Bedale; containing 138 inhabitants, and comprising 613a. 3r. 14p. of land. The village is about a mile distant from that of Thornton-Watlass, and stands near the river Ure, which passes on the west.
THIRNE, a parish, in the East and West Flegg incorporation, hundred of West Flegg, E division of Norfolk, 4½ miles (N. by E.) from Acle; containing 177 inhabitants. The village is near the confluence of the Bure and Thirne rivers. The living is a rectory, annexed to the livings of Ashby and Oby, and valued in the king's books at £5. The church, which stands on an eminence, is partly in the decorated and partly in the later English style, and consists of a nave and chancel with a tower. At the inclosure, 18 acres were allotted to the poor, the proceeds of which, with £6 per annum from an unknown benefactor, are distributed in coal.
THIRNTOFT, a township, in the parish of Ainderby-Steeple, union of Northallerton, wapentake of Gilling-East, N. riding of York, 3½ miles (W. by S.) from Northallerton; containing 164 inhabitants. It comprises by computation 1158 acres of productive land. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for £189, and there is a glebe of 3¾ acres.
Thirsk (St. Mary)
THIRSK (St. Mary), a borough, market-town, and parish, and the head of a union, in the wapentake of Birdforth, N. riding of York; the parish containing, with the chapelries of Carlton-Miniott, Sand-Hutton, and Sowerby, 4599 inhabitants, of whom 3020 are in the town, 23 miles (N. W. by N.) from York, and 223 (N. N. W.) from London. The name of this place is supposed to be derived from Tre Isk, two ancient British words signifying a town and river or brook. A strong castle was erected here about 979 by the family of Mowbray, where Roger de Mowbray in the time of Henry II., having become a confederate of the King of Scotland, erected his standard against his lawful sovereign: upon the suppression of the revolt, this fortress, with many others, was entirely demolished by order of the king. In the reign of Henry VII., during a popular commotion, Henry Percy, Earl of Northumberland, and lieutenant of this county, is said to have been put to death here, beneath a very ancient elm-tree, which formerly grew on Elm Green.
The town is situated on the road from York to Darlington, nearly in the centre of the vale of Mowbray, a tract remarkable for its fertility, and the beauty and richness of its scenery. It consists of the Old and the New towns, separated by a small stream called Cod beck, over which are two substantial stone bridges. A gravel-walk across the fields to Sowerby commands a fine prospect of the surrounding country, terminated by the Hambleton hills; it is the favourite promenade of the inhabitants. At the south-western extremity of the town, the moat and rampart, together with some subterranean vaults, and the site of the court-yard, of the castle, may still be seen. Within the precincts of this ancient fortress is New Thirsk, with its spacious marketplace in the centre. The Old town, which alone was included in the former borough, is on the north-east bank of the stream, and consists of a long range of cottages on each side of the York and Stockton road, and two squares surrounded by similar buildings, one called St. James's Green, where the cattle-fairs are held, the other formerly comprising a chapel dedicated to St. James. A small quantity of coarse linen and sacking is manufactured. The York and Newcastle railway runs near the town: an act was passed in 1845 for making a line from Thirsk, by Harrogate, to Leeds; another act, in 1846, for a line to Malton; and a third, also in 1846, for a line to the Lancaster and Carlisle railway near Penrith.
The market is on Monday, and is a large market for provisions, of which great quantities purchased here are carried for sale to Leeds and other places. Fairs are held on Shrove-Monday and April 4th and 5th, for cattle, sheep, leather, &c.; on Easter-Monday and WhitMonday, for woollen-cloth, toys, &c.; and August 4th and 5th, October 28th and 29th, and the first Tuesday after Dec. 11th, for cattle, sheep, and leather. The municipal regulations are vested in a bailiff, chosen by the burgage-holders, and sworn in before the steward of the manor, who holds a court leet at Michaelmas for that and other purposes. The powers of the county debt-court of Thirsk, established in 1847, extend over the registration-district of Thirsk. This is a borough by prescription, and first sent members to parliament in the 23rd of Edward I., but made no other return till the last parliament of Edward VI.; under the act 2nd of William IV., cap. 45, it now sends one member, elected by the £10 householders of an enlarged district comprising 8570 acres: the bailiff is returning officer. The parish contains 3100a. 3r. 26p., of which about 1818 acres are arable, 1153 pasture, and 61 woodland and common. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £137; patron and appropriator, the Archbishop of York. The church, situated at the northern extremity of the New town, is a spacious and handsome structure in the later English style, with a lofty embattled tower at the west end: it is supposed to have been constructed from the ruins of the castle. Each of the three chapelries forms a separate incumbency. There are places of worship for the Society of Friends, Independents, and Wesleyans. The union of Thirsk comprises 40 parishes or places, and contains a population of 12,639.
Thirston, Northumberland.—See Thriston.
THIRTLEBY, a township, in the parish of Swine, union of Skirlaugh, Middle division of the wapentake of Holderness, E. riding of York, 6 miles (N. E.) from Hull; containing 58 inhabitants. The township comprises by computation 1010 acres of land, divided among various freeholders: the village is east of the road from Hull to Coniston. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for £68. 18. 6.
Thistleton, with Greenalgh, in the county of Lancaster.—See Greenalgh.
Thistleton (St. Nicholas)
THISTLETON (St. Nicholas), a parish, in the union of Oakham, hundred of Alstoe, county of Rutland, 8 miles (N. N. E.) from Oakham; containing 161 inhabitants. In the Domesday survey it is called Tisterton. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £3. 11. 0½.; net income, £118 per annum; patron, G. Fludyer, Esq.
THIXENDALE, a township, in the parish of Wharram-Percy, union of Pocklington, wapentake of Buckrose, E. riding of York, 8¾ miles (S. S. E.) from Malton; containing 239 inhabitants. It comprises about 3160 acres of land, of which a large part is the property of Sir Tatton Sykes, Bart., who is lord of the manor. The village is scattered, at the junction of sixteen deep and narrow dales, from which the township is supposed to have derived its name.