A Topographical Dictionary of England. Originally published by S Lewis, London, 1848.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
MONCKTON, BISHOP'S, a chapelry, in the parish and liberty of Ripon, W. riding of York, 3 miles (S. S. E.) from Ripon; containing 460 inhabitants. The parish is on the road to Knaresborough, and comprises by admeasurement 2092 acres, of which about 1400 are arable, and the remainder pasture, with a small portion of woodland. The village is pleasantly situated on a small rivulet, on the banks of which are two flaxmills. The chapel, dedicated to St. John, was rebuilt in 1822, and contains 180 sittings. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £98; patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Ripon, whose tithes here have been commuted for £46. 10., and certain impropriate tithes for £296. 11. There are places of worship for Wesleyans and Methodists of the New Connexion.
Monckton-Deverhill, in the county of Wilts.—See Deverhill, Monckton.
Monckton, Tarrant (All Saints)
MONCKTON, TARRANT (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Blandford, hundred of Monckton-upWimborne, Wimborne division of Dorset, 4¼ miles (E. N. E.) from Blandford; containing 246 inhabitants. This place derived its name from a monastic establishment which existed here, and the adjunct denotes its situation on the river Tarrant. The parish is in a valley; the soil is light and chalky, and the chief agricultural produce is wheat, barley, and turnips. The living is a discharged vicarage, with that of Tarrant-Launceston annexed, valued in the king's books at £17. 16. 8.; net income, £55; patron and impropriator, J. J. Farquharson, Esq., whose tithes have been commuted for £500, and who has a glebe of 56 acres. There are 2½ acres of vicarial glebe.
MONCKTON-UP-WIMBORNE, a tything, in the parish and hundred of Cranborne (though locally in the hundred of Monckton-up-Wimborne), union of Wimborne and Cranborne, Wimborne division of Dorset, 2 miles (W.) from Cranborne; containing, with the hamlets of Oakley and Bellows-Cross, 113 inhabitants. The river Allen has its source here.
Monckton-Combe.—See Combe, Monckton.
Monewden (St. Mary)
MONEWDEN (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Plomesgate, hundred of Loes, E. division of Suffolk, 5 miles (W. N. W.) from Wickham-Market; containing 220 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £8. 13. 4., and in the gift of A. Arcedeckne, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for £277, and the glebe comprises 55 acres. The church, a handsome structure in the later English style, with a square embattled tower, is situated on an eminence, and forms a conspicuous object.
MONEYLAWS, a township, in the parish of Carham, union of Glendale, W. division of Glendale ward, N. division of Northumberland, 4½ miles (S. E. by S.) from Coldstream. It includes Old Moneylaws, and comprises about 850 acres, all arable land, with the exception of a few acres of grass; the soil is principally loam, and the surface mountainous, with extensive and beautiful prospects. The great tithes have been commuted for £161, and those of the incumbent for £28. In the Castle field here are the remains of a Roman camp.
Mongeham, Great (St. Martin)
MONGEHAM, GREAT (St. Martin), a parish, in the union of Eastry, hundred of Cornilo, lathe of St. Augustine, E. division of Kent, 2 miles (W. S. W.) from Deal; containing 286 inhabitants. It comprises 874 acres; the surface is varied, and the scenery generally of pleasing character. There is a large brewing and malting establishment. A market granted by Henry III. has long been discontinued; but a fair for cattle and pedlery is still held, on the 29th of October. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £18. 5., and in the gift of the Archbishop of Canterbury: the tithes have been commuted for £499. 15., and the glebe comprises 1½ acre. The church is a large handsome structure, in the early English style.
MONGEHAM, LITTLE, a parish, in the union of Eastry, hundred of Cornilo, lathe of St. Augustine, E. division of Kent, 3½ miles (W. S. W.) from the town of Deal; containing 100 inhabitants. It comprises 1142 acres, of which 1089 are arable, 40 meadow, and 13 woodland. The living is a discharged rectory, with the perpetual curacy of Sutton consolidated in 1835, valued in the king's books at £5. 15.; net income, £371; patron, the Archbishop of Canterbury. There is a churchyard, but no church.
Mongewell (St. John the Baptist)
MONGEWELL (St. John the Baptist), a parish, in the union of Wallingford, hundred of Langtree, county of Oxford, 1½ mile (S.) from Wallingford; containing 202 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £9. 9. 4½., and in the gift of Dr. Barrington: the tithes have been commuted for £370, and the glebe contains 6 acres. The church has some portions in the Norman style.
Monk-Bretton, county of York.—See Bretton, Monk.
Monken-Hadley.—See Hadley, Monken.
MONKHILL, a township, in the parish of Pontefract, Upper division of the wapentake of Osgoldcross, W. riding of the county of York; containing 48 inhabitants. It is a very small township (of about four acres) adjoining the town of Pontefract on the east of the Castle hill, and was anciently the grange and homestead of St. John's Priory.
Monkland (All Saints)
MONKLAND (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Leominster, hundred of Stretford, county of Hereford, 2½ miles (W. S. W.) from Leominster; containing 184 inhabitants. This parish, which is bounded by the river Arrow, comprises by computation 1032 acres; the soil is a stiff clay on the higher portions, but lighter and richer in the lower parts. The road from Leominster to Hay passes through. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £11. 0. 9., and in the gift of the Dean and Canons of Windsor: the tithes have been commuted for £250, and the glebe comprises 3 acres. The church, with the manor, was given by Ralph Tony in the time of William Rufus to the abbey of Conches, in Normandy, when a cell of Benedictine monks was established here, the possessions of which, at the suppression, were granted to the Dean and Canons of Windsor.
Monkleigh (St. George)
MONKLEIGH (St. George), a parish, in the union of Bideford, hundred of Shebbear, Great Torrington and N. divisions of Devon, 2¾ miles (W. N. W.) from Great Torrington, on the road to Bideford; containing 699 inhabitants. It is bounded on the east by the river Torridge, which separates it from the parishes of Great Torrington and Wear-Giffard. The prevailing soil is a brown loam, resting upon clay; in the southern extremity of the parish is a narrow vein of red land, about a quarter of a mile broad, stretching from east to west. There is a considerable portion of rich woodland, which contributes greatly to embellish the scenery. A small canal belonging to the Rolle family, commencing from the point where the Torridge ceases to be navigable, passes through the parish to Great Torrington, affording conveyance for limestone, which is burnt into lime in several kilns here. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £12. 14. 7., and has a net income of £150: about two-thirds of the great tithes belong to Miss Saltren, who has the patronage; and the remainder to the barton and manor of Annery. The church contains some interesting monuments, among which is one to the memory of Chief Justice Sir William Hankford, who is said to have been accidentally killed at this place, in 1422, by his park-keeper.
MONKRIDGE-WARD, a township, in the parish of Elsdon, union of Rothbury, S. division of Coquetdale ward, N. division of Northumberland, 8 miles (N. E.) from Bellingham; containing 111 inhabitants. About the year 1242, Munkeriche was held of Gilbert de Umfraville by Maria de Munkeriche and Roger Dun, by drengage service; in 1398, Maud, widow of Gilbert de Umfraville, died seised of the place. Queen Elizabeth had lands here in 1568; and subsequently to this period, property has been possessed in the ward by the families of Hall, Howard, Potts, and Orde. Within the limits of the district is the estate of Ottercops, comprising 2415 acres, and of which mention occurs in the records of about the time of Henry II. The township is on the east of the river Rede, and south of the road between Elsdon and Elishaw Bridge; and comprises altogether by measurement 5450 acres, whereof about 254 are arable, 20 wood, and the remainder pasture, which is good by the river side; the rest of the pasture land is uninclosed. The hamlet stands on the south side of Elsdon burn.
MONKSEATON, a township, in the parish and union of Tynemouth, E. division of Castle ward, S. division of the county of Northumberland, 3 miles (N. W.) from Tynemouth; containing 581 inhabitants. The township comprises 1238 acres of arable land; the soil is a good loam, and the subsoil clay. A colliery was opened in 1819, and coal is wrought in considerable quantity, and conveyed from the pit near Whitley by a railway to the lower part of Shields, whence it is exported; there is also a portion of Whitley lime-quarry in the township. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for £298. Here is a place of worship for Wesleyans. On Monkhouse farm are the remains of a stone, called the Monk's stone, with this inscription, "O horror, to kill a man for a pig's head!" concerning which a curious tradition prevails. A monk of Tynemouth, it is said, was scourged on the spot by a Mr. Delaval for having cut off a pig's head whilst roasting in the kitchen of the latter; and dying within a year and a day, his brethren fixed a charge of murder on Mr. Delaval, who, in order to obtain absolution, assigned to the monastery the manor of Elswick and other estates, and erected an obelisk on the spot where he chastised the monk.
Monks-Eleigh (St. Peter)
MONKS-ELEIGH (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Cosford, hundred of Babergh, W. division of Suffolk, 2¼ miles (W. S. W.) from Bildeston; containing 732 inhabitants, and comprising by measurement 2040 acres. The living is a rectory, in the patronage of the Archbishop of Canterbury, valued in the king's books at £14. 18. 11½.; net income, £422. The tithes have been commuted for £146, and there are 30 acres of glebe. Here is a place of worship for Wesleyans; also some almshouses, built and endowed by Mr. Edmund Colman, in 1731.
Monksilver (All Saints)
MONKSILVER (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Williton, hundred of Williton and Freemanners, W. division of Somerset, 10 miles (S. E.) from Minehead; containing, with the hamlet of Woodford, 308 inhabitants. This parish, which comprises by admeasurement 1000 acres, is situated in a narrow vale, remarkable for its fertility. The meadows are exceedingly rich, from the facility of irrigating them, at all seasons of the year, with water which brings with it down the declivities a considerable quantity of the upland soil. A stone-quarry here affords good materials for repairing roads. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £9. 8. 1½., and in the gift of the Dean and Canons of Windsor: the tithes have been commuted for £210, and the glebe comprises 35 acres; a glebe-house was built in 1838. The church is a handsome structure, in the later English style.
Monks-Path or Monks-Riding
MONKS-PATH, or Monks-Riding, a liberty, in the parish of Tanworth, union of Solihull, Warwick division of the hundred of Kington, county of Warwick, 7½ miles (S. E. by S.) from Birmingham. It is situated on the road between Birmingham and Warwick, and contains 87 acres of land.
MONKSTON, a parish, in the union and hundred of Andover, Andover and N. divisions of the county of Southampton, 3¾ miles (W.) from the town of Andover; containing 293 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £14. 12. 11., and in the gift of King's College, Cambridge: the tithes have been commuted for £340, and the glebe comprises 69 acres.
MONKSWOOD, an extra-parochial liberty, in the union of Pont-y-Pool, division and hundred of Usk, county of Monmouth, 2¾ miles (N. W. by W.) from the town of Usk; containing 166 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £69; patron and impropriator, the Duke of Beaufort.