A Topographical Dictionary of England. Originally published by S Lewis, London, 1848.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
THORNVILLE, a township, in the parish of Whixley, Lower division of the wapentake of Claro, W. riding of York, 5¼ miles (S. by E.) from Boroughbridge; containing 18 inhabitants. This township, which comprises about 200 acres of fertile land, occupies the north bank of the river Nidd. It is the property of Mr. Thomas Proud, whose father purchased the estate from Colonel Thornton, of sporting celebrity: the mansion is a handsome brick structure, finely situated in a wellplanted demesne.
THORNWOOD, a hamlet, in the parish of North Weald Bassett, union of Epping, hundred of Harlow, S. division of the county of Essex, 2½ miles (N. N. E.) from Epping; containing 293 inhabitants.
Thoroton (St. Elena)
THOROTON (St. Elena), a parish, in the union, and N. division of the wapentake, of Bingham, S. division of the county of Nottingham, 8 miles (S. S. W.) from Newark; containing 152 inhabitants. The soil is in general a rich clay. The living is annexed, with that of Scarrington, to the vicarage of Orston: at the inclosure in 1796, the small tithes were commuted for 19a. 1r. 5p. of land. The church is a handsome structure, with a tower surmounted by a fine spire.
THORP-ACRE, a parish, in the union of Loughborough, hundred of West Goscote, N. division of the county of Leicester, 1¼ mile (W. N. W.) from Loughborough; containing, with the hamlet of Dishley, 298 inhabitants. The parish comprises 811 acres, of which the soil is generally a fertile loam; it is bounded on the east by the Soar, and is intersected by a rivulet. The church was completed in 1845, at a cost of £1000, raised by subscription, aided by a grant from the Incorporated Society: Miss Tate was a liberal contributor. The living is a donative curacy, in the patronage of C. M. Phillipps, Esq. The sum of £22 per annum, arising from land left by John Ransdale in 1708, is applied in support of a girls' school of industry, and in clothing the poor.
Thorp-Arch (All Saints)
THORP-ARCH (All Saints), a parish, in the W. division of the Ainsty wapentake, W. riding of York, 2¾ miles (S. E. by E.) from Wetherby; containing 326 inhabitants. This place derived the suffix to its name from the De Arch family, who came over with the Conqueror, and obtained large possessions in this part of the country. The parish is situated in the beautiful vale of the river Wharfe, and comprises 1606a. 2r. 3p. of land, chiefly belonging to Randall Gossip, Esq., who is lord of the manor. Of this area, 978 acres are arable, 500 meadow and pasture, 75 wood and plantations, and the remainder homesteads, roads, and waste. Thorp-Arch Hall, the seat of Mr. Gossip, is a handsome mansion, commanding richly-diversified prospects. The village is situated on the river, which here presents many interesting points of view; the manufacture of the coarser kinds of paper is carried on, and there are two large flour-mills. The Roman road to Boroughbridge, called Rudgate, passes by the eastern boundary of the parish. The living is a discharged vicarage, endowed with the rectorial tithes, valued in the king's books at £3. 15. 5., and in the gift of the Rev. Charles Medhurst, of Ledstone Hall: the tithes have been commuted for £387. 9. 2. The church, with the exception of the tower, in which is a highly-enriched Norman doorway, was rebuilt in 1756, in the later English style. A school was founded in 1738, by Lady Eliz. Hastings, who endowed it with £15 per annum, and ten acres of land the money endowment has since been augmented to £43 per annum.
THORP-AUDLING, a township, in the parish of Badsworth, Upper division of the hundred of Osgoldcross, W. riding of York, 4½ miles (S. S. E.) from Pontefract; containing 315 inhabitants. The township comprises about 1260 acres of land.
Thorp-Bassett (All Saints)
THORP-BASSETT (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Malton, wapentake of Buckrose, E. riding of York, 5 miles (E. by N.) from Malton; containing 201 inhabitants. It comprises about 1750 acres of land, in the manor of Rillington: the village is near the source of a rivulet, and a short distance south of the road from Malton to Sherburn. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £12; patron, Earl Fitzwilliam; net income, £309. The church is an ancient structure, with a bell-gable. The Rev. James Graves in 1804 bequeathed £200, the proceeds of which are applied in aid of the instruction of children.
THORP-STAPLETON, a township, in the parish of Whitkirk, Lower division of the wapentake of Skyrack, W. riding of York, 3¾ miles (S. E.) from Leeds; containing 15 inhabitants. It is situated on the north side of the river Aire.
Thorp-Sub-Montem. —See Burnsall.
THORP-UNDERWOODS, a township, in the parish of Little Ouseburn, Lower division of the wapentake of Claro, W. riding of York, 6½ miles (S. E.) from Boroughbridge; containing 182 inhabitants. This township is situated in the vale of the Ouse, and comprises 2200 acres of land in good cultivation. The scenery abounds with picturesque beauty.
Thorpe (St. Leonard)
THORPE (St. Leonard), a parish, in the hundred of Wirksworth, S. division of the county of Derby, 3¼ miles (N. W. by N.) from Ashbourn; containing 196 inhabitants. It includes the Derbyshire side of Dovedale, which abounds with striking scenery. Thorpe Cloud on the right, and a towering pile of massive rocks on the left, of the southern entrance of the vale, form ramparts of majestic elevation, between and beyond which the river winds with varied course, sometimes rushing with tumultuous effort along the bases of stupendous cliffs, and at others expanding into a smooth and placid surface, reflecting the luxuriant verdure of its woodcrowned banks. At intervals, rude rocky masses of grotesque form, which have been fancifully denominated My Lady's Chair, Dovedale Castle, the Church, the Twelve Apostles, the Lion's Head, the Sugar Loaves, and the Lover's Leap, rise in succession throughout this enchanting dale, in which the more simple and the more sublime beauties of nature, in all their variety, are strikingly combined. The river flows from north to south. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £6. 1. 6.; net income, £129; patron, the Bishop of Lichfield. The church is partly in the Norman style, and being situated on the brow of a hill, and surrounded with trees, forms a very pleasing object in the landscape. In Domesday book the place is called Torp; at the time of that survey it was a royal possession, and it appears afterwards to have belonged to the Ferrers family.
Thorpe (St. Peter)
THORPE (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Spilsby, E. division of the soke of Bolingbroke, parts of Lindsey, county of Lincoln, 1½ mile (N. W.) from Wainfleet; containing 557 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £20. 19. 4.; net income, £313; patron and impropriator, W. Hopkinson, Esq.
THORPE, a township, in the parish of Tattershall, union of Horncastle, S. division of the wapentake of Gartree, parts of Lindsey, county of Lincoln; containing 300 inhabitants.
Thorpe (St. Lawrence)
THORPE (St. Lawrence), a parish, in the union of Southwell, S. division of the wapentake of Newark and of the county of Nottingham, 3 miles (S. W.) from Newark; containing 108 inhabitants. The parish is situated about half a mile east of the river Trent, and of the old Fosse road from Nottingham to Newark; and comprises by computation 698a. 2r. Building-stone is quarried. A few hands are employed in making lace for the Nottingham houses. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £8, and in the patronage of the Crown: the tithes have been commuted for £209, and the glebe contains 40 acres. The church exhibits portions in the several styles of English architecture; the tower was formerly surmounted with a steeple. A fine tessellated pavement, some coins, and other Roman relics, have been discovered. On a small mound in a field adjoining the turnpike-road Henry VII. is said to have erected his standard, on the 6th of June, 1487, the day upon which he fought the battle of Stoke Field with the Earl of Lincoln.
THORPE, a parish, in the union of Loughborough, S. division of the wapentake of Rushcliffe and of the county of Nottingham, 6¾ miles (N. E.) from Loughborough; containing 44 inhabitants. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £12. 9. 4½ patron, Lord Rancliffe. The church has been destroyed.
THORPE, a hamlet, in the parish of Aldringham, union and hundred of Blything, E. division of Suffolk, 3¼ miles (N. by E.) from Aldborough; containing 142 inhabitants. Here was formerly a chapel.
THORPE, Ashfield parish, hundred of Thredling, county of Suffolk.—See Ashfield.
Thorpe (St. Mary)
THORPE (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Windsor, Second division of the hundred of Godley, W. division of Surrey, 2 miles (S. W. by S.) from Staines; containing 532 inhabitants. The manor appears to have been held under the abbots of Chertsey in the 15th century, by a family named Thorpe: after the Dissolution, Queen Elizabeth granted the lands to Sir John Wolley, her Latin secretary. The parish comprises 1495a. 3r. 2p., of which 700 acres were inclosed in 1806; the surface is level, and the soil of good quality. Thorpe is situated on the river Thames, between the Great Western and the London and South-Western railways, from each of which it is about five miles distant. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £5. 13. 4., and in the patronage of the Crown, with a net income of £141; impropriator, the Rev. H. Leigh Bennett. The great tithes have been commuted for £115, and those of the vicar for £70: there are 10 acres of glebe. The church is a very old edifice, with a tower of brick covered with ivy, and contains some ancient monuments.
THORPE, a township, in the parish and union of Howden, wapentake of Howdenshire, E. riding of York, 1¼ mile (N. by E.) from Howden; with 50 inhabitants. It is a small township, comprising 260 acres, set out in two farms, one of them on Walling fen.
Thorpe, with Whitcliff.—See Whitcliff.
THORPE, with Whitcliff.—See Whitcliff.
Thorpe, Leeds.—See Thorpe-on-the-Hill
THORPE, Leeds.—See Thorpe-on-the-Hill.
THORPE, an ecclesiastical district, in the union of Rotherham, N. division of the wapentake of Strafforth and Tickhill, W. riding of York, 4 miles (N. W.) from Rotherham; containing about 2000 inhabitants. The district was formed from the parishes of Rotherham, Wath, and Ecclesfield, in 1841: the village is of considerable antiquity, and its inhabitants are partly employed in making nails, for which the place has been long celebrated. The substratum abounds with coal, of which five mines are in full operation, and with freestone of good quality for building, which is extensively quarried. Grange Hall, the seat of the Earl of Effingham, is a handsome residence here. The church, called Trinity church, was consecrated in 1840, and is in the later English style, with a spire; it has 577 sittings, of which 187 are free, and cost £1800. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of four Trustees; income, £150, with a house. There are two places of worship for Wesleyans.