A Topographical Dictionary of England. Originally published by S Lewis, London, 1848.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
MYERSCOUGH, a township, in the parish of Lancaster, union of Garstang, hundred of Amounderness, N. division of Lancashire, 4 miles (S.) from Garstang; containing 504 inhabitants. This is one of the forest townships in the parish, the manor of which has been held of the duchy of Lancaster by the Brockholes family, whose ancestor resided here in the beginning of the 17th century. In the time of Leland, who notices the red-deer here, "Merscow Park" belonged to Lord Derby. Myerscough Hall is now the residence of William Humber, Esq. The township comprises 2500 acres, in equal portions of arable and pasture land, the surface is generally level, the soil strong, with a marl substratum. The river Brock, and the Lancaster and Preston canal and Lancaster and Preston railway, pass through. Two fairs have lately been established. The township has the advantage of the free school at Billsborough.
Mylor (St. Melor)
MYLOR (St. Melor), a parish, in the union of Falmouth, E. division of the hundred of Kerrier, W. division of Cornwall, 3 miles (E. by N.) from Penryn; containing 2569 inhabitants. This is a peninsula, bounded on the east, south, and west by Falmouth harbour; and a creek nearly intersects the parish from south-east to north-west. At the head of the creek is the village of Mylor-Bridge, and on the west the populous sea-port of Flushing, which has much increased in size since the improvements made in the early part of the last century, by Samuel Trefusis, Esq. The parish comprises 3463 acres, of which 2663a. 1r. 35p. are arable, and the remainder meadow, pasture, and woodland; the scenery is diversified, and from different parts are fine views. A large iron-foundry is carried on, for the manufacture of boilers for steam-vessels, and various other articles; and beneath the surface of the water and the mud of the estuary of Carnon, are copper streamworks, which are tolerably productive. At Flushing is a ferry to Falmouth; and on the north-east, at Restronget ferry, passengers and horses may be conveyed to Feock, on the road to Truro. The living is a vicarage with that of Mabe united, in the patronage of the Bishop of Exeter, valued in the king's books at £16. 15.; impropriators, Lord Saye and Sele, and Lord Clinton. The great tithes have been commuted for £350, and the vicarial for £215; the glebe comprises 12 acres, with a house. The church, romantically situated on the margin of Mylor creek, has some Norman details, including a doorway on the north side exquisitely enriched with sculpture: the tower is detached and mantled with ivy. An episcopal chapel has been built at Flushing. There are places of worship for Baptists, Bryanites, Independents, Wesleyans, and Unitarians.
Mynyddyslwyn (St. Tyder)
MYNYDDYSLWYN (St. Tyder), a parish, in the union of Newport, Lower division of the hundred of Wentlloog, county of Monmouth, 8 miles (S. W.) from Pont-y-Pool, and 9¼ (N. W. by W.) from Newport; containing, with the hamlets of Clawrplwyf, Mynyddmaen, and Penmaen, 5385 inhabitants. The parish comprises by measurement 13,983 acres, of which 2001 are common or waste; the soil is various, the surface boldly undulated, and the lower grounds are watered by the rivers Sirhowy and Ebbw. Iron-works of considerable extent are in operation; there are extensive coalmines, and also some quarries of sandstone, large masses of which are raised for the construction of docks or for heavy masonry. The produce is conveyed by canal and by tramroads to Newport, whence it is shipped. The living is a perpetual curacy; patron and appropriator, the Bishop of Llandaff; net income, £150. The appropriate tithes have been commuted for £580, and the glebe comprises 36 acres. The church is a spacious and handsome structure, with a tower, and contains 1000 sittings. At Penmaen is a separate incumbency. There are places of worship for Baptists, Independents, Welsh Methodists, and Wesleyans. Some vestiges remain of a religious house; and near the church is a large tumulus on an eminence, supposed to have been a signal station.
Mythe, with Mythe-Hook
MYTHE, with Mythe-Hook, a township, in the parish, borough, and Lower division of the hundred, of Tewkesbury, E. division of the county of Gloucester; containing 83 inhabitants. It is on the road from Tewkesbury to Worcester, north of the former town; the river Severn flows on the west, and on the east runs the Avon, which shortly after joins the Severn.
Mytholm, or Mitholm
MYTHOLM, or Mitholm, a small hamlet, in the township of Stansfield, parish of Halifax, union of Todmorden, wapentake of Morley, W. riding of York. This place is situated in the beautiful vale of Todmorden, in a mountainous district abounding with romantic scenery. A district church, named St. James' church, Hebden-Bridge (the site being the nearest that could be obtained so as to accommodate the village of HebdenBridge), was erected here in 1835, at an expense of £2700, by the Parliamentary Commissioners; the ground was given by the Rev. James Armytage Rhodes, who also presented the stone for the building from his quarries in the neighbourhood. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Vicar of Halifax; income, £150.
MYTHOLMROYD, an ecclesiastical parish, in the parish of Halifax, wapentake of Morley, W. riding of York, 6 miles (W.) from Halifax; containing 3377 inhabitants. This parish was constituted in March, 1846, under the provisions of the act 6th and 7th Victoria, cap. 37. Its extent is about four square miles; it is of very hilly surface, with well-wooded valleys, and altogether of romantic aspect. The river Calder, the road from Manchester to Leeds, and the Manchester and Leeds railway, run through the middle of the parish; and the Calder and Hebble canal also passes through it. There are some quarries of hard gritstone in operation. The village, which lies in the vale of the Calder, extends into several townships, and, with the neighbourhood, contains many factories for spinning cotton and worsted yarn, and for the manufacture of calicoes and fustians. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Crown and the Bishop of Ripon, alternately; income, £150. The church, the erection of which was commenced in the summer of 1846, cost, with the purchase of the site, about £2400. The Baptists and Methodists have each a place of worship. A school-house was built in 1841, by W. Sutcliffe, Esq., of Bath, at an expense of £450; it is a neat building, in the later English style.
Myton-upon-Swale (St. Mary)
MYTON-upon-Swale (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Easingwould, wapentake of Bulmer, N. riding of York, 3¾ miles (E.) from Boroughbridge; containing 188 inhabitants. It comprises about 1700 acres, of remarkably rich arable and grazing land: the village is pleasantly situated near the confluence of the Swale and Ure. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £6; net income, £150; patron, the Archbishop of York; impropriator, R. J. Thompson, Esq. A battle was fought here in 1319, between the Scots and about 10,000 undisciplined Yorkshiremen headed by Melton, Archbishop of York, amongst whom was a great number of priests; the latter were defeated.