A Topographical Dictionary of England. Originally published by S Lewis, London, 1848.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
Netheravon (All Saints)
NETHERAVON (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Pewsey, hundred of Elstub and Everley, Everley and Pewsey, and S. divisions of Wilts, 5¼ miles (N. by W.) from Amesbury; containing, with the tything of Chisenbury-de-la-Folly, 505 inhabitants. The parish comprises some fertile tracts, and the scenery is of pleasing character. Netheravon Park, formerly the property of the Duke of Beaufort, and now the seat of Sir M. Hicks Beach, Bart., is a handsome mansion of brick, situated in a well-wooded demesne. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £13. 6. 8.; net income, £119; patron, the Bishop of Salisbury. The church, an ancient structure with some fine Norman details, has been restored.
Netherbury (St. Mary)
NETHERBURY (St. Mary), a parish, in the union and hundred of Beaminster, Bridport division of Dorset, 2 miles (S. S. W.) from Beaminster; containing 2162 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated near the coast, comprises by admeasurement 6000 acres, and is intersected by some small streams flowing through woody ravines towards Bridport harbour; the surface is varied, and the soil generally fertile. Great quantities of cider are made. Here are several quarries of limestone, in which, among various organic remains, are found belemnites, ammonites, large concave and convex shells, with univalves, bivalves, and screw shells. The living is a vicarage, with that of Beaminster annexed, valued in the king's books at £41. 15.; net income, £524; patron, the Prebendary of Netherbury in the Cathedral of Salisbury. The great tithes have been commuted for £750, and the vicarial for £400. The church is in the later English style, and contains a curiously-carved pulpit, and monuments to Sir John Moore, Dr. Gollop, and Dr. Baddinall. A chapel of ease has been opened at Bowood, and at Melplaish is a separate incumbency. A free grammar school is endowed with £138 per annum. There was formerly a religious society in the parish, called the fraternity of St. Francis and St. Christopher.
NETHERBY, a township, in the parish of Arthuret, union of Longtown, Eskdale ward, E. division of Cumberland, 2½ miles (N. N. E.) from Longtown; containing 368 inhabitants. Here was a Roman station of considerable importance, connected with the Picts' wall by a direct road, but its name has not been clearly ascertained. Foundations of streets extending to the river Esk, denote its site; and a large collection of Roman coins, altars, fragments of domestic utensils, &c., discovered here, is deposited in Netherby Hall, the seat of the Rt. Hon. Sir James R. G. Graham, Bart.
Netherby, with Kearby.—See Kearby.
Nether Cerne.—See Cerne, Nether.
NETHER-EXE, a parish, in the union of St. Thomas, hundred of Hayridge, Wonford and N. divisions of Devon, 5 miles (N. by E.) from Exeter; containing 97 inhabitants. It is bounded on the west by the river Exe, and comprises 602 acres. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £68; patrons, certain Feoffees called the "Eight Men of Broad Clist;" impropriator, T. Gould, Esq. There is half an acre of glebe. The church is a very ancient structure.
NETHERTON, a township, in the parish of Sefton, union and hundred of West Derby, S. division of the county of Lancaster, 6½ miles (N. by E.) from Liverpool; containing 176 inhabitants. Sir William Molyneux, who received the honour of knighthood in the 46th of Henry III., gave by a deed without date, to William, son of his brother Roger, certain lands in Netherton, to hold by knight's service and the yearly rent of one halfpenny; and Sir William, a member of the same family, gave lands in Netherton to his son, John, about the reign of Richard II. The township is still the property of the family of Molyneux. It lies a little to the west of the Liverpool and Ormskirk road, close to the Leeds and Liverpool canal, and is separated from Maghull by the river Alt. The area is 1100 acres, and the land is in equal portions of arable and pasture, and of various, but good, soil; the surface is elevated and level, and the views include the hills round Ormskirk and Billinge: the air, impregnated with sea breezes, is salubrious. Moorbridge House is the picturesque residence of William Wilding, Esq. Stand Park, now converted into farms, was stocked with deer when the Molyneuxs resided at Sefton. The Roman Catholic chapel here, was built in 1790, and is a neat structure, dedicated to St. Bennet: the Rev. Abraham Abram, who was appointed in 1830, is still the priest, and has a good house.
NETHERTON, a township, in the parish and division of Bedlington, union of Morpeth, county of Northumberland 4 miles (S. E.) from Morpeth; containing 436 inhabitants. This place was the residence, at an early period, of a family of the same name; and among the most considerable families that have subsequently owned it, have been those of Swinburne, Ogle, and Heron. Hugo de Hexham held three messuages, 120 acres of land, and four meadows, here; and other lands were held by Hugh Walton, by fealty, and rendering a rose yearly, if required. In the 16th century, it was possessed by the barons of Morpeth, with whom it remained for a considerable period, and from whom it has descended to the earls of Carlisle. Coal is obtained in the township. The village is situated on a fine eminence, upon the road between Morpeth and North Shields. The tithes have been commuted for £13. 6. payable to the vicar, and £229. 17. to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners.
NETHERTON, a hamlet, in the parish of Cropthorn, union of Pershore, Middle division of the hundred of Oswaldslow, Pershore and E. divisions of the county of Worcester, 4 miles (W. S. W.) from Evesham; containing 104 inhabitants. It is bounded on the south-east by a portion of Gloucestershire, and consists of 726a. 16p., in about equal portions of arable and pasture. Here was formerly a chapel, now in ruins, and used as a farm building. The Baptists have a place of worship.
NETHERTON, a district chapelry, in the united parishes of St. Thomas and St. Edmund, Dudley, union of Dudley, Lower division of the hundred of Halfshire, Dudley and E. divisions of the county of Worcester; containing 129 persons. This place is situated in an extensive mining and manufacturing district, and the inhabitants are mostly employed in furnaces for smelting iron-ore, and in the making of nails, which is carried on to a great extent. There are large collieries in the immediate neighbourhood, in full operation, and several mines of ironstone. A neat chapel, dedicated to St. Andrew, was erected in 1831, by grant of the Parliamentary Commissioners, on ground given by the late Earl of Dudley: the living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £220; patron, the Vicar of Dudley. Here are places of worship for Wesleyans, Baptists, Methodists of the New Connexion, and Primitive Methodists.
NETHERTON-NORTH-SIDE, a township, in the parish of Allenton, union of Rothbury, W. division of Coquetdale ward, N. division of Northumberland, 6¼ miles (N. W.) from Rothbury; containing 54 inhabitants. It is situated near the Wreigh burn, a tributary of the river Coquet, and on the road which leads from the highlands to the towns of Alnwick and Morpeth. The village of Allenton is distant about three miles and a half.
NETHERTON-SOUTH-SIDE, a township, in the parish of Allenton, union of Rothbury, W. division of Coquetdale ward, N. division of the county of Northumberland; containing 74 inhabitants. This township adjoins the preceding; and the village belonging to both is on the Wreigh stream.
Netley, county of Southampton.—See Hound.
Netswell, or Netteswell
NETSWELL, or Netteswell, a parish, in the union of Epping, hundred of Harlow, S. division of Essex, 2¼ miles (S. W.) from Harlow; containing 336 inhabitants. It comprises 1521 acres, of which 850 are arable, 450 pasture, 173 common or waste, and the remainder woodland; the surface is undulated, and the scenery pleasingly diversified. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £13. 6. 8., and in the gift of C. Phelips, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for £230, and the glebe comprises 5 acres. The church is a small edifice, with a tower of wood surmounted by a shingled spire. A school is endowed with £40 per annum.
Nettlebed (St. Bartholomew)
NETTLEBED (St. Bartholomew), a parish, in the union of Henley, hundred of Ewelme, county of Oxford, 4¾ miles (N. W. by W.) from Henley; containing 690 inhabitants. The parish comprises 1164 acres, of which 100 are common or waste; it is situated on the road from London to Oxford, 830 feet above the level of the sea, and the air is peculiarly salubrious. The living is a donative, with the perpetual curacy of Pishill united; net income, £101; patron, the Rev. T. L. Bennett; impropriator, Lord Camoys, whose tithes have been commuted for £280. The church, restored and enlarged by subscription, was re-consecrated in December 1846.
Nettlecombe, with Mappercombe, in the county of Dorset.—See Mappercombe.
Nettlecombe (St. Mary)
NETTLECOMBE (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Williton, hundred of Williton and Freemanners, W. division of Somerset, 7 miles (N. by W.) from Wiveliscombe; containing 338 inhabitants. It comprises by measurement 2816 acres, of which 1460 are arable, 350 meadow and pasture, 100 woodland, and the remainder uninclosed; the surface is finely undulated, and embellished with stately oak, elm, and Spanish chesnut of luxuriant growth. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £16. 6. 3., and in the gift of Sir W. Trevelyan, Bart.: the tithes have been commuted for £468, and the glebe comprises 60 acres. The church is a small handsome edifice, in the later English style. A school is supported.
NETTLEDEN, a chapelry, partly in the parish of Ivinghoe, and partly in that of Piglesthorne, union of Berkhampstead, hundred of Cottesloe, county of Buckingham, 3 miles (N. N. E.) from Berkhampstead; containing 108 inhabitants. It comprises 783a. 3r., of which 120 acres are arable, 179 meadow and pasture, and 410 the demesne of Ashridge Park. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Trustees of the Earl of Bridgewater, with a net income of £58. The chapel, dedicated to St. Lawrence, was consecrated in 1470.
Nettleham (All Saints)
NETTLEHAM (All Saints), a parish, in the wapentake of Lawress, parts of Lindsey, union and county of Lincoln, 3 miles (N. E. by N.) from Lincoln; containing 841 inhabitants. It comprises 3284a. 2r. 7p.; the surface is hilly, and the lower grounds are watered by a small rivulet. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to the Chancellorship of the Cathedral of Lincoln: the tithes were commuted for land and a money payment in 1776. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. The bishops of Lincoln had a palace here, the foundations of which are still discernible.
Nettlestead (St. Mary)
NETTLESTEAD (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Maidstone, hundred of Twyford, lathe of Aylesford, W. division of Kent, 6 miles (W. S. W.) from Maidstone; containing 326 inhabitants. It comprises 1200 acres, of which 240 are in wood; and is bounded on the east by the navigable river Medway, which is crossed by a wooden bridge. The living is a rectory, with that of West Barming annexed, valued in the king's books at £12. 10. 10.; net income, £442; patron, the Earl of Gainsborough. The church is in the later English style, and the windows exhibit some fine specimens of stained glass; it has lately been repaired and embellished, and a vestry and organ-gallery have been added. In the church are two monuments to the family of Scott, of whose mansion, in which Queen Elizabeth is said to have been entertained, there are considerable remains.
Nettlestead (St. Mary)
NETTLESTEAD (St. Mary), a parish, in the union and hundred of Bosmere and Claydon, E. division of Suffolk, 6 miles (N. W. by W.) from Ipswich; containing 98 inhabitants, and comprising 1015a. 31p. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £8. 11. 10½., and in the gift of the family of Jackson: the tithes have been commuted for £193. 10., and the glebe comprises 2 acres. The Hall, formerly in the possession of the Wentworths, and before them of the Tiptofts and Despensers, is situated near the church: the gateway is still in good preservation, and on the spandrils of the arch are two shields sculptured with the Wentworth arms and numerous other quarterings; the mansion itself, however, has been modernised.
Nettleton (St. John the Baptist)
NETTLETON (St. John the Baptist), a parish, in the union of Caistor, S. division of the wapentake of Yarborough, parts of Lindsey, county of Lincoln, 1 mile (S. by W.) from Caistor; containing 457 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £19. 10. 10.; net income, £375; patron and incumbent, the Rev. S. Turner. The tithes were commuted for land and money payments in 1791. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.
Nettleton (St. Mary)
NETTLETON (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Chippenham, N. division of the hundred of Damerham, Chippenham and Calne, and N. divisions of Wilts, 8½ miles (N. W. by W.) from Chippenham; containing 536 inhabitants. It comprises by measurement 1940 acres, of which 1200 are arable, 600 pasture and meadow, and 40 in woods and plantations. There are some quarries of stone for repairing roads. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £18. 12. 1., and in the gift of Joseph Neeld, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for £440, and the glebe comprises 13 acres. Here are places of worship for Baptists and Wesleyans. The old Roman Fosse-road passes through the parish; on it is a barrow, upon which are three stones of a cromlech.