A Topographical Dictionary of England. Originally published by S Lewis, London, 1848.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
Brockhampton with Knowle
Brockhampton, Gloucester.—See Southam.
BROCKHAMPTON, a chapelry, in the parish and union of Bromyard, hundred of Broxash, county of Hereford, 3¼ miles (E. N. E.) from Bromyard; containing 88 inhabitants; and comprising, with the township of Norton, 2879 acres, exclusively of 133 in the extra-parochial place of Lower Brockhampton. It is a rich and fertile district. A free chapel was built some years ago, the right of presentation to which belongs to John Barneby, Esq.
Brockhampton (Holy Trinity)
BROCKHAMPTON (Holy Trinity), a parish, in the union of Ross, hundred of Greytree, county of Hereford, 6 miles (N.) from Ross; containing 132 inhabitants. The parish is beautifully situated on the left bank of the river Wye, and abounds with picturesque scenery. It comprises by admeasurement 785 acres, about 150 of which are pasture, and the rest arable, with the exception of about 60 acres of woodland, consisting chiefly of oak and elm. The soil is fertile, and is formed principally of the detritus of the old red sandstone; there are some quarries of good building-stone, and also stone for the roads. The village is pleasantly seated near the bank of the river, which is here navigable for barges of 40 tons' burthen. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £74; patrons and appropriators, the Dean and Chapter of Hereford. The great tithes have been commuted for £125, and the incumbent's for £63. 10. The church, a neat edifice in the later English style, has a tower and two bells, and a piscina for holy-water at the entrance door; in the churchyard is an ancient cross. A little to the north of the village are the remains of a Roman encampment with a double trench.
Brocklebank, with Stoneraise
BROCKLEBANK, with Stoneraise, a township, in the parish of Westward, union of Wigton, Allerdale ward below Derwent, W. division of Cumberland, 5½ miles (S. E.) from Wigton; containing 617 inhabitants.
Brocklesby (All Saints)
BROCKLESBY (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Caistor, E. division of the wapentake of Yarborough, parts of Lindsey, county of Lincoln, 10 miles (S. E.) from Brigg; containing, with Newsham extraparochial, and the hamlet of Limber Parva, 243 inhabitants. It comprises by computation 2454 acres, of which 1614 are pasture, 380 arable, and 460 woodland. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £9. 10. 10.; net income, £287; patron, the Earl of Yarborough: the tithes were commuted in 1812, for land and corn-rents. A monastery of the Præmonstratensian order, in honour of St. Mary and St. Martial, was founded at Newsham, by Peter de Gousla, in 1143: at the Dissolution it had a revenue of £114. 1.4.
Brockley (St. Nicholas)
BROCKLEY (St. Nicholas), a parish, in the union of Bedminster, hundred of Chewton, E. division of Somerset, 9 miles (S. W.) from Bristol; containing 171 inhabitants. This parish, which is beautifully situated on the road from Bristol to Weston-super-Mare, comprises by computation 700 acres. There are some quarries of limestone of excellent quality. Lead-ore exists in the eastern part of the parish, and there are numerous basaltic columns, similar to those forming the Giant's Causeway in Ireland. About a quarter of a mile to the south-east of the church, is a strikingly romantic glen called Brockley-Coombe, nearly a mile in length, inclosed on each side by steep banks of rugged rocks, rising to the height of nearly 300 feet, and thickly interspersed with trees of luxuriant growth. The Bristol and Exeter railway skirts the parish, about a mile to the north of the church. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £9. 18. 4.; net income, £128; patrons, the Trustees of the late Rev. Wadham Pigott. The church is an ancient structure, with a square embattled tower, and a south porch; the interior displays much elegance.
Brockley (St. Andrew)
BROCKLEY (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union and hundred of Thingoe, W. division of Suffolk, 6¾ miles (S. S. W.) from Bury St. Edmund's; containing 380 inhabitants, and comprising by computation nearly 1500 acres. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £10. 4. 2.; net income, £330; patron and incumbent, the Rev. William Sprigge. The rectory-house was consumed on the night of the 6th of April, 1841, by an accidental fire which destroyed property to the amount of £2000. The church is an ancient structure.
BROCKMOOR, an ecclesiastical parish, in the parish of King's Swinford, union of Stourbridge, N. division of the hundred of Seisdon, S. division of the county of Stafford, 2½ miles (S. W.) from Dudley; containing about 3500 inhabitants. It is nearly a mile and a half in length, and three-quarters of a mile in breadth in the broadest part, tapering to a point at one extremity: the surface is varied. The Stourbridge Extension canal bounds the parish on the west side; the road from Dudley to Stourbridge, by Brierley Hill, passes on the east; and the Oxford, Worcester, and Wolverhampton railway passes through. The inhabitants are employed in coal-mines, iron-manufactories, and a brick-factory. Brockmoor was formed into a separate ecclesiastical district in September, 1844, under the act 6th and 7th Victoria, cap. 37; and, conformably with its provisions, became a new parish on the consecration of a church, in December, 1845. The edifice is in the Norman style; is of handsome appearance, with stained-glass windows in the chancel; and was built at a cost of about £3000, provided by church building societies, aided by subscription. A parsonage-house, which stands in an acre of ground, was erected at an expense of £900, whereof £500 were contributed by Lord Ward, and the same nobleman presented two acres for a churchyard. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans; also a commodious school-house, recently built, with rooms for boys, girls, and infants, and apartments for the master and mistress: the cost of its erection, about £1000, was provided by the National Society, the Privy Council, and subscription.
BROCKSFIELD, a township, in the parish of Embleton, union of Alnwick, S. division of Bambrough ward, N. division of Northumberland, 2¾ miles (N. N. E.) from Alnwick; containing 24 inhabitants. It comprises 312 acres; the soil is of an inferior nature, but several young healthy plantations are scattered over the township.
Brockthrop (St. Swithin)
BROCKTHROP (St. Swithin), a parish, in the union of Wheatenhurst, Middle division of the hundred of Dudstone and King's Barton, E. division of the county of Gloucester, 4 miles (S. E.) from Gloucester; containing 169 inhabitants. This place is situated on the road between Gloucester and Stroud, and near the head of a small stream which falls into the Severn. The living is a discharged vicarage, endowed with a portion of the rectorial tithes, and valued in the king's books at £7. 17. 6.; it has the perpetual curacy of Whaddon annexed, and is in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Gloucester for two turns, and J. Pitt, Esq., for one: net income, £186.
BROCKTON, a township, in the parish of Baswich, E. division of the hundred of Cuttlestone, union, and S. division of the county, of Stafford, 4 miles (S. E. by E.) from Stafford; containing 238 inhabitants. The township comprises about 800 acres. There is an excellent freestone-quarry; and from a fine stratum of clay large quantities of bricks are made. Brockton Hall is an ancient mansion situated in a pleasant park: near it is Brockton Lodge.
BROCKWEAR COMMON, an extra-parochial district, adjoining the parish of Hewelsfield, in the union of Chepstow, hundred of St. Briavell's, W. division of the county of Gloucester, 5½ miles (N. N. E.) from Chepstow; containing 212 inhabitants.
Brockworth (St. George)
BROCKWORTH (St. George), a parish, in the Upper division of the hundred of Dudstone and King's Barton, union, and E. division of the county, of Gloucester, 4 miles (E. S. E.) from Gloucester; containing 409 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated on the old road from Gloucester to Cirencester, comprises by measurement 1840 acres: stone for the roads is found. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £6. 3. 4.; patron and impropriator, J. Watts, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for £151, and the glebe comprises 26 acres. The church is a very ancient structure, with a low central tower; in the chancel is a handsome marble monument to Sir Christopher Guise. The parish is crossed by the Erminstreet.
Brodsworth (St. Michael)
BRODSWORTH (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of Doncaster, N. division of the wapentake of Strafforth and Tickhill, W. riding of York, 5½ miles (N. W. by W.) from Doncaster; containing, with the township of Brodsworth and the hamlets of Pigburn and Scawsby, 467 inhabitants. It abounds with limestone of superior quality, which is extensively quarried. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £6. 6. 10½.; net income, £367; patron, the Archbishop of York. An allotment of land was given in lieu of tithes, in 1815. The Brodsworth estate belonged to Peter Thellusson, Esq., and is now vested in trustees, according to the singular will of that gentleman, who directed that the greater part of his immense property should be allowed to accumulate, and at a future fixed period, in default of a male heir, be applied towards discharging the national debt.
Brokenborough (St. John the Baptist)
BROKENBOROUGH (St. John the Baptist), a parish, in the union and hundred of Malmesbury, Malmesbury and Kingswood, and N. divisions of Wilts, 1¾ mile (N. W. by N.) from Malmesbury; containing 429 inhabitants. It comprises about 3000 acres of land, nearly the whole of which is the property of the Earl of Suffolk, who is lord of the manor: the river Avon runs through the parish. The living is annexed, with that of Charlton, to the vicarage of Westport St. Mary. In excavating the ground in the parish, near the mouth of the Kennet, for the Great Western railway, a sword, several human skulls, and some horse-shoes were found near the surface; probably the spot was the scene of a battle in the wars of Charles I.
Brokenhaugh, East and West
BROKENHAUGH, EAST and WEST, a township, in the parochial chapelry of Haydon, union of Hexham, N. W. division of Tindale ward, S. division of Northumberland, 6 miles (W. by N.) from Hexham; containing 250 inhabitants. It is situated on the west of the South Tyne river, and is divided into farms.
Bromblow, or Bromlow
Bromborrow (St. Barnabas)
BROMBORROW (St. Barnabas), a parish, in the union of Wirrall, partly in the Lower, but chiefly in the Upper, division of the hundred of Wirrall, S. division of the county of Chester, 11 miles (N. N. W.) from Chester, on the road to Birkenhead; containing, with the township of Brimstage, 450 inhabitants. This parish is enumerated, by the learned editor of the Saxon Chronicle, among the places which, from the similarity of name, may claim to be the scene of the decisive action fought at Brunanburh, between the Saxons under Athelstan, and the Danes under Anlaf and Constantine, the latter of whom were defeated: other writers, however, disallow the claim. A monastery was founded at this place, then called Brimesburgh, by Ethelfleda, the celebrated Countess of Mercia, about 912; but it was demolished previously to the Conquest, subsequently to which period the manor was given by Ranulph de Gernons, Earl of Chester, to the monks of the abbey of St. Werburgh. Prince Edward, when Earl of Chester, granted a licence in 1277 for a market here on Monday, and a fair on the eve, festival, and morrow of St. Barnabas; both these have long been discontinued. The parish is bounded on the east by the river Mersey, and comprises 1525 acres, whereof 630 are arable, 813 meadow, 69 wood, and the remainder waste. The surface is level, the soil partly sandy loam and partly marl and clay, and the scenery rich and varied: there are good stone-quarries. The Rev. J. Mainwaring is the chief owner of the land, and resides at Bromborrow Hall. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £92; patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Chester. The church has been rebuilt, and is of plain pointed architecture; the chancel window is of stained glass, with representations of Our Saviour and the sacramental emblems. A school is supported by the incumbent. Petrifying powers are attributed to a spring here.
BROMBY, a township, in the parish of Frodingham, union of Glandford-Brigg, E. division of the wapentake of Manley, parts of Lindsey, county of Lincoln, 7½ miles (W. N. W.) from Glandford-Brigg; containing 160 inhabitants. It comprises 2995 acres, of which 819 are common or waste land, and is chiefly in the vale of the Trent. The village is situated about a mile south of Frodingham. There are places of worship for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists.
Brome, or Broome (St. Michael)
BROME, or Broome (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of Loddon and Clavering, hundred of Loddon, E. division of Norfolk, 2½ miles (N. N. E.) from Bungay; containing 610 inhabitants. The parish is bounded on the south by the navigable river Waveney, which separates it from the county of Suffolk; it comprises 1442 acres, whereof 24 are common or waste. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £6. 13. 4., and in the patronage of Sir W. F. F. Middleton, Bart.: the tithes have been commuted for £286, and there is a good glebe-house, with about 28 acres of land. The church consists of a nave and chancel, in which are considerable remains of stained glass. £50 per annum, from a town estate, are applied to parochial uses.
Brome (St. Mary)
BROME (St. Mary), a parish, in the union and hundred of Hartismere, W. division of Suffolk, 2 miles (S. S. W.) from Scole; containing 328 inhabitants. This place was for many years the residence of the noble family of Cornwallis. Charles, the fifth baron, was created Viscount Brome and Earl Cornwallis on the 30th of June, 1753; and his son and successor, Charles, having distinguished himself as a military commander in India, was advanced to a marquisate, as Marquess Cornwallis, August 15th, 1792. The fine old mansion called Brome Hall, for so long a series of years the seat of the family, was pulled down by the late marquess, after whose death the estate was sold to Sir Edward Kerrison. The parish comprises 892a. 1r. 34p. The living, a discharged rectory anciently divided into medieties, which were consolidated in 1448, is now united with the rectory of Oakley, and is valued in the king's books at £10. 0. 2½.; net income, £561; patron, Sir E. Kerrison. The tithes of the parish of Brome have been commuted for £224. The church is an ancient edifice, chiefly in the later English style, and contains many costly tombs of the Cornwallis family.
Brome, or Broom, South
BROME, or BROOM, SOUTH, a chapelry, in the parish of Bishop's-Cannings, union of Devizes, hundred of Potterne and Cannings, Devizes and N. divisions of Wilts, ¼ mile (S. E.) from Devizes; containing 2285 inhabitants. The chapelry almost encircles the town of Devizes, within the borough of which a small portion of it is included. It comprises 2578a. 38p., whereof 888 acres are arable, 679 pasture, 130 wood, 351 acres nursery-gardens, and about 360 down; the soil is fertile, and affords an abundant supply of fruit, vegetables, and other produce for the inhabitants of the neighbourhood. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £150; patron, the Vicar of Bishop's-Cannings. The chapel, dedicated to St. James, was, with the exception of the tower, nearly rebuilt, at the expense of the parishioners, in 1831.
BROMEHOLME, a hamlet, in the parish of Bacton, Tunstead and Happing incorporation, hundred of Tunstead, E. division of Norfolk, 5 miles (E. by N.) from North Walsham. A priory for Cluniac monks, dedicated to St. Andrew, was founded in 1113, by William de Glanvill, and for some time subsisted as a cell to the monastery at Castle Acre. Henry III., accompanied by a retinue of his nobility, was here in the eighteenth year of his reign, five years previously to which he had granted the monks licence to hold a market on Monday, and a fair on the festival of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross. The income of the monks was augmented by numerous rich offerings, which were presented to a cross stated to have been made out of the wood composing the cross on which Our Saviour suffered, brought hither by an English priest, who officiated at the emperor's chapel at Constantinople. The revenue, at the Dissolution, amounted to £144. 19. 1.