A Topographical Dictionary of England. Originally published by S Lewis, London, 1848.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
UPTON, a chapelry, in the parish of Blewberry, union of Wantage, hundred of Moreton, county of Berks, 4¾ miles (N. N. E.) from East Ilsley; containing, with the liberty of Nottingham-Fee, 284 inhabitants, and an area of 1330a. 3r. 30p. The chapel is a very ancient edifice.
Upton (St. Lawrence)
UPTON (St. Lawrence), a parish, in the union of Eton, hundred of Stoke, county of Buckingham, 3 miles (N. W. by W.) from Colnbrook; containing, with the chapelry of Chalvey and part of the town of Slough, 2296 inhabitants. The parish is situated on the great Bath road, about a mile from the river Thames, and the Great Western railway passes through it. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £6. 17., and in the patronage of the Crown; net income, £220; impropriator, W. Bousey, Esq. Certain tithes were exchanged for land and a money payment in 1808, and some impropriate tithes have been just commuted for a rent-charge of £239. The church, which is said to have been partly built before the Conquest, has a fine Norman doorway, and is principally in that style. At Chalvey is a chapel of ease, towards the erection of which the late king gave £100, the Queen Dowager £50, and the impropriator and incumbent £200 each; it is a handsome edifice in the Norman style, adapted for a congregation of 800. There is a place of worship for Independents. Benjamin Lane, in 1720, bequeathed a rent-charge of £20, for clothing six men and six women, and distributing some bibles annually. In this parish is situated the workhouse of the Eton union. The late Sir William Herschel, the celebrated astronomer, resided and was buried here; and his son, the present Sir John F. Herschel, Bart., was born and resides in the parish.
UPTON, a hamlet, in the parish of Dinton, union and hundred of Aylesbury, county of Buckingham; containing 94 inhabitants.
UPTON, a township, in the parish of St. Mary, Chester, union of Great Boughton, Lower division of the hundred of Broxton, S. division of the county of Chester, 2¼ miles (N.) from Chester; containing 437 inhabitants. It comprises 911 acres, of partly a sand and partly a clay soil. The Chester and Birkenhead railway passes through the township. The tithes have been commuted for £91. 6. payable to an impropriator, £40 to the rector of St. Mary's, and £3. 15. to the Dean and Chapter of Chester. A small school is supported by subscription.
UPTON, a township, in the parish of Prestbury, union and hundred of Macclesfield, N. division of the county of Chester, 1½ mile (N. W.) from Macclesfield; containing 85 inhabitants, and comprising 422 acres.
UPTON, a parish, in the union, and Lower division of the hundred, of Wirrall, S. division of the county of Chester, 3 miles (W.) from Birkenhead; containing 237 inhabitants. It comprises 917 acres of land, the soil of which is clay. A market was held so late as 1662, and there are still two fairs for cattle: a court leet and baron takes place annually. The lands have been considerably improved by William Webster, Esq., of Upton Hall, who is lord of the manor. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £52; patron, Mr. Webster; impropriator, Sir W. T. Stanley, Bart., whose tithes have been commuted for £145. The glebe of the incumbent comprises 19½ acres. The church, formerly at Overchurch, half a mile distant, was pulled down in 1813, and a new church erected in the village: the old cemetery is still used.
UPTON, a tything, in the parish of Hawkesbury, union of Chipping-Sodbury, Upper division of the hundred of Grumbald's-Ash, W. division of the county of Gloucester; containing 758 inhabitants. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.
Upton (St. Leonard)
UPTON (St. Leonard), a parish, in the Middle division of the hundred of Dudstone and King'sBarton, union and E. division of the county of Gloucester, 3 miles (S. E. by S.) from Gloucester; containing 893 inhabitants. The parish is intersected by the road from Gloucester to Painswick. It comprises 2974a. 1r. 15p., of which 1820 acres are pasture, 800 arable field land, 200 inclosed arable, 90 wood, 56 in roads and waste, and 7 common pasture; the soil is principally a strong clay, but in some parts is sand, stone brash, and gravel. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £86; patron and appropriator, the Bishop of Gloucester and Bristol. The church is principally Norman; the tower and some of the details are later English.
Upton (St. Margaret)
UPTON (St. Margaret), a parish, in the hundred of Leightonstone, union and county of Huntingdon, 6 miles (N. W.) from Huntingdon; containing 178 inhabitants. It is situated near the great north road, and comprises by measurement 1161 acres, of which 915 are arable, 180 pasture, and 66 wood; the soil is clayey, and the surface rises gently. In the parish is Standgate Hill, the original name of which is said to have been Stand Guard, on account of a watch or guard being formerly fixed there to prevent robberies: from its summit are extensive prospects over the fens, and a view of Peterborough minster, and Whittlesey mere. The living is a rectory, with that of Coppingford consolidated; net income, £160; patrons, the Montagu family: the glebe comprises 264 acres of land, allotted in 1812 in lieu of tithes. The church is partly in the early English style, with a curious ancient font.
UPTON, a hamlet, in the parish of Bexley, union of Dartford, hundred of Ruxley, lathe of Sutton-atHone, W. division of Kent; with 169 inhabitants.
UPTON, a township, in the parish of Sibson, union of Market-Bosworth, hundred of Sparkenhoe, S. division of the county of Leicester, 3¾ miles (S. W.) from Market-Bosworth; containing 148 inhabitants. Here was formerly a chapel.
Upton (All Saints)
UPTON (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Gainsborough, hundred of Well, parts of Lindsey, county of Lincoln, 5 miles (S. E. by E.) from Gainsborough; containing, with the township of Kexby, 505 inhabitants, of whom 236 are in Upton township. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £7. 4. 2.; net income, £131; patron, Sir W. A. Ingilby, Bart. The tithes were commuted for land and a money payment in 1776. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.
Upton (St. Margaret)
UPTON (St. Margaret), a parish, in the union of Blofield, hundred of Walsham, E. division of Norfolk, 1 mile (N.) from Acle; containing 519 inhabitants. It comprises 1693a. 1r. 8p., of which 655 acres are arable, 170 marsh-laud cultivated, 753 marsh and water, 26 in homesteads, and 83 road, &c. The navigable river Bure runs on the north. The living is a discharged vicarage, united to that of Ranworth, and valued in the king's books at £5: the tithes have been commuted for £279. 16. payable to the Bishop of Ely, and £160. 13. to the vicar; there are 20½ acres of vicarial glebe. The church, which is chiefly in the later English style, consists of a nave, chancel, and aisles, with a square tower in ruins. The Primitive Methodists have a place of worship here.
Upton (St. Michael)
UPTON (St. Michael), a parish, in the hundred of Newbottle-Grove, union, and S. division of the county, of Northampton, 2 miles (W.) from Northampton; containing 59 inhabitants, and comprising 939 acres. The living is annexed, with that of Kingsthorpe, to the rectory of St. Peter's, Northampton. Here are the remains of a castle founded by Simon de St. Liz. James Harrington, the eminent political writer in the time of the Commonwealth, was born at Upton Hall.
UPTON, a chapelry, in the parish of Castor, union and soke of Peterborough, N. division of the county of Northampton, 2¼ miles (E. N. E.) from Wansford; containing 112 inhabitants. It comprises about 1000 acres, of which the soil is in some parts gravelly, and in others clayey; the surface is diversified with hill and dale. The meadow land is subject to flood, the Nene flowing through the southern part of the chapelry.
Upton (St. Peter)
UPTON (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Southwell, Southwell division of the wapentake of Thurgarton, S. division of the county of Nottingham, 2½ miles (E.) from Southwell; containing 601 inhabitants. The parish is on the road from Newark to Southwell, and comprises 1384 acres: the village is handsome, and pleasantly situated on a declivity, affording pleasing and extensive views which include Southwell and Lincoln minsters. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the patronage of the Chapter of Southwell, valued in the king's books at £4. 11. 5½.; net income, £100, with a glebe-house, built in 1843. The tithes were commuted in 1795; the glebe consists of 40 acres. The church is an ancient edifice with a handsome tower, and is endowed with lands of the annual value of £20, for keeping it in repair, the surplus to be given to poor soldiers travelling through the parish. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.
UPTON, with Signet, a hamlet, in the parish of Burford, union of Witney, hundred of Bampton, county of Oxford, 1¼ mile (W.) from Burford; containing 218 inhabitants.
Upton (St. James)
UPTON (St. James), a parish, in the union of Dulverton, hundred of Williton and Freemanners, W. division of Somerset, 7 miles (E. by N.) from Dulverton; containing 358 inhabitants. It is situated on the road from Brompton-Regis to Wiveliscombe, and comprises 3779a. 25p., of which 323 acres are common or waste. Stone is quarried for building, and for making roads. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £50; patron and impropriator, John Bere, Esq., whose tithes have been commuted for £241. 15.
UPTON, a hamlet, in the parish of Long Sutton, union of Langport, hundred of Somerton, W. division of Somerset; containing 192 inhabitants.
UPTON, a tything, in the parish of East Knoyle, union of Mere, hundred of Downton, Hindon and S. divisions of Wilts; containing 139 inhabitants.
UPTON, a township, in the parish of Badsworth, Upper division of the wapentake of Osgoldcross, W. riding of York, 6¼ miles (S. by E.) from Pontefract; containing 235 inhabitants. It comprises about 1000 acres; the soil is various, and the substratum abounds with limestone, much of which is burnt into lime. The surface is boldly undulated, and on Beacon Hill is a small tower commanding a fine view of York Minster, the wolds of Lincolnshire, and the Derbyshire hills.