A Topographical Dictionary of England. Originally published by S Lewis, London, 1848.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
Warbleton (St. Mary)
WARBLETON (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Hailsham, hundred of Hawkesborough, rape of Hastings, E. division of Sussex, 12 miles (E. by S.) from Uckfield; containing 1300 inhabitants. It comprises 5762a. 23p., of which 2277 acres are arable, 1466 meadow and pasture, 213 in hops, 72 garden and orchard, and 1677 wood and roughs: the surface is diversified with hill and dale. Ironstone and sandstone are abundant, and the smelting of the former was at one time carried on to a great extent. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £13. 6. 8., and in the gift of Dr. John Haviland: the tithes have been commuted for £930; there is a parsonage-house, and the glebe comprises 38 acres. The church is in the early and later English styles, with an embattled tower: in the chancel is a fine brass monument of W. Prestwick, Dean of Battle, who is habited in his canonicals. The poor have a few bequests. About two miles and a half eastward of the church, are some remains of a priory for Augustine canons built in the 14th year of Henry IV.
WARBLINGTON, a parish, in the union of Havant, hundred of Bosmere, Fareham and S. divisions of the county of Southampton, ½ a mile (S. E. by E.) from Havant; containing, with the chapelry of Emsworth, 2270 inhabitants, of whom 1105 are in Warblington township. The parish is bounded on the south by Langston harbour, and situated on the road between Chichester and Portsmouth. It comprises about 3000 acres, of which 1542 are arable, 444 meadow, and 473 woodland. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £19. 9. 4½., and in the gift of the Rev. W. Norris: the tithes have been commuted for £740, and the glebe comprises 30 acres. The church was built about the beginning of the 13th century, and is partly Norman, and partly in the early English style, with an oratory at the end of each aisle. Two other incumbencies are noticed under the head of Emsworth. In the parish are some remains of a quadrangular mansion that belonged to the Montacutes and the Cottons, comprising the gateway and tower, surrounded by a deep fosse.
Warborne, with Pilley.—See Pilley
Warborough cum Shillingford (St. Lawrence)
WARBOROUGH cum Shillingford (St. Lawrence), a parish, in the union of Wallingford, hundred of Ewelme, county of Oxford, 3 miles (N.) from Wallingford; containing 737 inhabitants, of whom 537 are in Warborough. The parish is partially bounded by the rivers Thame and Thames, and comprises about 1700 acres. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £350; patrons and impropriators, the President and Fellows of Corpus Christi College, Oxford. The church is an ancient edifice, with a tower built in 1666; the font is of lead, on an octagonal stone shaft, and among the several interesting monuments is one of marble to Francis Randolph, Margaret professor of divinity, and for some time principal of St. Alban's Hall, Oxford. The Society of Friends have a place of worship.
Warboys (St. Mary Magdalene)
WARBOYS (St. Mary Magdalene), a parish, in the union of St. Ives, hundred of Hurstingstone, county of Huntingdon, 7 miles (N. E.) from Huntingdon; containing 1800 inhabitants. The parish comprises 8103a. 3r. 9p., of which about 2736 acres are arable, 575 grass, and 142 wood; the soil in the high lands is clay, and in the low grounds fen. A pleasure-fair is held in the beginning of July, continuing for three days. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £27. 10.; net income, £1250; patron, T. Daniel, Esq. Certain tithes were commuted for land and corn-rents in 1795, and a commutation has taken place under the recent act for a rent-charge of £200; there is a parsonage-house, and the glebe contains 109 acres. The church has been enlarged. There are places of worship for Baptists and Wesleyans; and a national school is supported by the incumbent, at whose cost the premises were built. The Rev. Robert Fowler, in 1824, bequeathed £200, the interest of which is distributed among the poor of the parish.
Warbreck, with Layton.—See Layton
Warbstow (St. Werburgh)
WARBSTOW (St. Werburgh), a parish, in the union of Launceston, hundred of Lesnewth, E. division of Cornwall, 8½ miles (N. E.) from Camelford; containing 503 inhabitants. It comprises 3237 acres, of which 1133 are common or waste land; the ground is hilly, and the soil light. The living is a vicarage, annexed to that of Treneglos: the church has a curious Norman font. There are places of worship for Bryanites and Wesleyans; and a national school.
Warburton (St. Werburgh)
WARBURTON (St. Werburgh), a parish, in the union of Altrincham, hundred of Bucklow, N. division of the county of Chester, 6½ miles (E. by N.) from Warrington; containing 509 inhabitants. It comprises 1752 acres, of which 400 are under tillage, 1200 in meadow and pasture, and 32 uncultivated moss; the surface is flat, and the chief produce cheese and potatoes. The rivers Mersey and Bollin run through the parish. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to the second mediety of the rectory of Lymm: the tithes have been commuted for £249. 18., and the glebe comprises three acres. The church appears to have been originally of wood and plaster-work, but has received many additions of brick, of which material a tower was erected at the east end, in 1711. Here was a monastery of Praæmonstratensian canons, dedicated to St. Werburgh.
Warcop (St. Columba)
WARCOP (St. Columba), a parish, in East ward and union, county of Westmorland, 3 miles (W. by N.) from Brough, on the road to Appleby; containing 705 inhabitants. This parish is bounded on the north by part of the lofty ridge of mountains that extends from Stainmore to the borders of Scotland. It is intersected by the river Eden, and comprises about 11,000 acres, of which a large portion is high waste land: the soil in some parts is light and sandy, and in others mixed with red or blue clay; red freestone is quarried for all kinds of buildings, and lead-mines are in operation. In the village is an ancient cross, which was recently brought from the common, at the expense of the lord of the manor. A large fair takes place on the last day in Sept. and first day in Oct. called Brough-Hill Fair; it is chiefly for the sale of cattle, horses, and sheep, but there is also an extensive traffic carried on in cloth by the Yorkshire clothiers, and articles of hardware, &c, form part of the numerous commodities exposed for sale. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £9. 5. 1½.; net income, £194; patron and impropriator, the Rev. W. M. S. Preston. The tithes of the township were commuted for land in 1815; there is a parsonage-house, and the glebe contains about 160 acres. The church is a plain structure, with some handsome windows. The Wesleyans have a place of worship. Castle-hill, here, is supposed to be the site of an ancient castle, and Kirksteads that of a chapel. A singular festival, called the Rush-bearing, is celebrated on St. Peter's day. Christopher Bainbridge, Archbishop of York in the reign of Henry VIII., was born at the hamlet of Burton, in the parish.
WARD-END, a village, in the hamlet of Little Bromwich, parish and union of Aston, Birmingham division of the hundred of Hemlingford, N. division of the county of Warwick, 3 miles (N. E.) from Birmingham. A chapel was erected about the year 1516, but, the Reformation following immediately after, it is doubtful whether divine service was ever performed in the building, which fell into a state of dilapidation, and so continued till the year 1835. At this time, the remains were taken down, and a church was erected at a cost of £1500, by voluntary contributions, and licensed by the bishop, but not consecrated till the 23rd of October, 1841. It is a neat structure of brick coated with Roman cement, in the early English style, with a small embattled tower, and windows and doorways of stone: there are 306 sittings, including 178 free. The incumbency is in the patronage of the Vicar of Aston, and was endowed with £1000 in the funds, of which £600 have been laid out in the purchase of 6½ acres of land and three cottages. The church, like the old chapel, is dedicated to the Holy Trinity, the Blessed Virgin, and St. Margaret.
Warden (St. James)
WARDEN (St. James), a parish, in the union, and within the liberty of the Isle, of Sheppy, Upper division of the lathe of Scray, E. division of Kent, 6¾ miles (E.) from Queenborough; containing 52 inhabitants. It comprises 188 acres. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £4. 17. 8½.; net income, £90; patron, V. B. Simpson, Esq. The tower of the church was built at the expense of Delmark Banks, Esq., in 1834, with part of the materials of Old London Bridge.
Warden (St. Michael)
WARDEN (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of Hexham, N. W. division of Tindale ward, S. division of Northumberland, 2½ miles (N. W. by N.) from Hexham; containing, with the townships of Brokenheugh, Deanraw, and Lipwood, and the parochial chapelries of Newbrough and Haydon, 2987 inhabitants, of whom 532 are in the township of Warden. This place derives its name, originally Wardon, from the remarkable don or hill under which the church and village are beautifully situated on the south-east, and on the rocky summit of which are vestiges of a circular British camp, subsequently occupied by the Romans, who raised additional works. Within the area of this encampment, the bases of buildings and several querns have been found; and not far from the vicarage-house are traces of a similar fort, most probably connected with the wall of Severus, near which the parish is situated. The manor and church, in 1298, belonged to the monks of Hexham, to whom they had been granted, according to the record, "from a time beyond all memory," by Adam de Tyndale. From the Dissolution the manor was held by the crown till 1610, since which time it has been the property of various private families.
The township comprises 2995 acres, of which about two-thirds are arable, and the remainder, with the exception of 200 acres of woodland, meadow and pasture. The surface of the parish rises from the banks of the North and South Tyne rivers to an elevation of about 480 feet. The soil in the valleys is a rich sandy loam, of lighter quality on the rising grounds, and on the ridges of the hills, various, and resting upon limestone, freestone, and whinstone: some collieries, stone-quarries, and lead-mines are worked. Lead was wrought in the Hawden and Settlingstones' ground from 1687 to 1697. The Newcastle and Carlisle railway passes for nearly 8 miles through the parish. The living is a vicarage, with the livings of Newbrough and Haydon annexed, valued in the king's books at £8. 16. 3.; net income, £504; patron, T. W. Beaumont, Esq.; impropriators, the Governors of Greenwich Hospital, the Allgood family, and others. The great tithes of Warden, exclusively of the chapelry of Haydon, have been commuted for £211, and the small tithes for £267: the vicar has a glebe of 21 acres. The church, a very ancient cruciform structure in the early English style, was almost entirely rebuilt in 1765, and contains 300 sittings: the churchyard is spacious, and ornamented with rows of beech and elm trees. A school has been established.
Warden, Chipping (St. Peter and St. Paul)
WARDEN, CHIPPING (St. Peter and St. Paul), a parish, and formerly a market-town, in the union of Banbury, hundred of Chipping-Warden, S. division of the county of Northampton, 6¾ miles (N. N. E.) from Banbury; containing 545 inhabitants. The river Cherwell passes through the parish, and the Banbury and Lutterworth road through the village. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £26. 10., and in the patronage of the Rt. Hon. Lady Susan North, with a net income of £277: the tithes have been commuted for £34. The church is a large and handsome structure of different styles of architecture, but chiefly of the 14th century, with a tower of somewhat later date; the open oak seats and other ancient furniture are still preserved. Near the churchyard wall are the base and steps of the old market-cross. William Smart, rector, in 1466 assigned to trustees a certain estate, the rental of which, now amounting to upwards of £80 per annum, is distributed in coal and clothing to the poor. On the west side of the parish are the singular British earthworks called Arberry Banks; and on the south side are the Caedwalls, commonly called the "Black grounds," a Roman station, mentioned in the Itinerary of Richard of Cirencester.
WARDEN-LAW, a township, in the parish and union of Houghton-le-Spring, N. division of Easington ward and of the county of Durham, 8½ miles (N. E.) from Durham; containing 60 inhabitants. It was formerly the property of the families of Claxton and Bowes, and, early in the 17th century, of the Belasyse family. The township is east of the road between Sunderland and Durham, and comprises by measurement 440 acres, of which 240 are arable, 193 grass-land, 1 wood, and 6 waste. It forms a lofty eminence, the highest ground on the coast of Durham, and is crossed by a railway having a steam-engine on the summit, for drawing up and letting down waggons employed in conveying coal from the Hetton pits. The only remains of the vill of Warden are a few straggling cottages along the side of the ancient tract called Salters-way.
Warden, Old (St. Leonard)
WARDEN, OLD (St. Leonard), a parish, in the union of Biggleswade, hundred of Wixamtree, county of Bedford, 3¾ miles (W. by S.) from Biggleswade; containing 630 inhabitants. A market and fair, granted in 1218, were formerly held here, but have been long disused. The living is a discharged vicarage, united to that of Southill. In the cemetery is the mausoleum of Lord Ongley. An abbey for Cistercian monks from Rivaulx was founded in the parish in 1135, by Walter L'Espee; it was dedicated to the Blessed Virgin Mary, and at the Dissolution had a revenue of £442.
WARDINGTON, a chapelry, in the parish of Cropredy, union and hundred of Banbury, county of Oxford, 5 miles (N. E. by N.) from Banbury; containing, with the hamlets of Coton and Williamscote, 865 inhabitants, some of whom are employed in the manufacture of plush and girth-webbing. The chapel is dedicated to St. Mary Magdalene, and is a small edifice, of plain, and in some parts even rude, workmanship. The nave is mostly of the 13th century, and the chancel of the early part of the 14th, with a good east window: there are two aisles and a tower.
WARDLE, a township, in the parish of Bunbury, union of Nantwich, First division of the hundred of Eddisbury, S. division of Cheshire, 4¼ miles (N. W.) from Nantwich; containing 181 inhabitants. The township comprises 1022 acres, the soil of which is clay. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for £48, payable to the Haberdashers' Company, London.
Wardle, Lancaster.—See Wuerdale
WARDLEWORTH, a township, in the parish and union of Rochdale, hundred of Salford, S. division of Lancashire; containing 11,400 inhabitants. This township is in the division of Huddersfield, of which it forms the south-western extremity; and is partly in the borough of Rochdale, including the north-eastern part of the town. Foxholes, in the township, has long been the seat of the Entwistles, a distinguished Lancashire family, of whom was Sir Bertyne Entwistle, one of the heroes of Agincourt. The original mansion was built by Edmund Entwistle soon after the Reformation, and for upwards of two centuries presented an interesting specimen of the Elizabethan style of architecture. In 1793 it was displaced by the present house, erected by John Entwistle, Esq., who served the office of high sheriff of the county in 1798.—See Rochdale.
Wardley (St. Mary)
WARDLEY (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Uppingham, soke of Oakham, county of Rutland, 4 miles (W. by N.) from Uppingham; containing 59 inhabitants. The parish is situated on the road between Uppingham and Leicester, and bounded on the south by the river Eye, which separates it from Leicestershire. It comprises 730 acres, of which 163 are in wood, and the rest in grass; the soil is a black fertile earth, with a gravelly substratum. The woodland was formerly part of Beaumont Chase. The living is a discharged rectory, with the vicarage of Belton annexed, valued in the king's books at £10. 16., and in the patronage of the Crown; net income, £287; the glebe here contains 23 acres. The church is Norman, and contains, on the south side of the nave, four handsome arches in that style. A school is endowed with £10 per annum, and the master also receives £12 from the trustees of thirty acres of land belonging to the poor.
WARDLOW, a township, partly in the parish of Hope, but chiefly in that of Bakewell, hundred of High Peak, union of Bakewell, N. division of the county of Derby, 2 miles (E. by S.) from Tideswell; containing 171 inhabitants, of whom 71 are in Wardlow Mires. The vicarial tithes were commuted for land in 1810. In making a turnpike-road through the village, in 1759, a circular heap of stones was opened, and found to contain the remains of about seventeen bodies, interred in rude cells or coffins of stone, and supposed to have been the bodies of men slain during the war between the houses of York and Lancaster, or of persons interred in a family burial-place.