A Topographical Dictionary of England. Originally published by S Lewis, London, 1848.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
HIGHLAWS, a township, in the parish of Hartburn, union of Morpeth, W. division of Morpeth ward, N. division of Northumberland, 9½ miles (W. by S.) from Morpeth; containing 16 inhabitants. In the 17th century this place was the residence of the family of Aynsley. The township is bounded on the south by the Bolam march, and on the north by the Wansbeck; and comprises 295 acres. It pays a rentcharge of £26 to the vicar of Hartburn.
Highley (St. Mary)
HIGHLEY (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Cleobury-Mortimer, hundred of Stottesden, S. division of Salop, 7 miles (S. by E.) from Bridgnorth; containing 360 inhabitants. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £5. 19. 2.; patron, J. Perry, Esq.; impropriators, Messrs. Fenn, Jordin, and Hazlewood. The great tithes have been commuted for £109. 11., and the vicarial for £115. 10.; the glebe comprises 89 acres.
HIGHNAM, a hamlet, in the parish of Churcham, union of Westbury-on-Severn, Lower division of the hundred of Dudstone and King's-Barton, union, and E. division of the county, of Gloucester, 2¼ miles (N. W. by W.) from the city of Gloucester; containing 192 inhabitants.
Hightleigh, or Highley, St. Mary
HIGHTLEIGH, or HIGHLEY, ST. MARY, an extra-parochial place, adjacent to the parish of Oakford, in the union of Tiverton, Cullompton and N. divisions of Devon; containing 24 inhabitants, and comprising 400 acres of land.
Highway (St. Peter)
HIGHWAY (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Calne, hundred of Potterne and Cannings, though locally in the hundred of Calne, Chippenham and Calne, and N. divisions of Wilts, 4½ miles (N. E.) from Calne; containing 147 inhabitants. It comprises 813 acres, of which 58 are common. The living is annexed to the vicarage of Bremhill: the tithes have been commuted for £165, and the glebe comprises 20 acres.
Highweek (All Saints)
HIGHWEEK (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Newton-Abbott, hundred of Teignbridge, Teignbridge and S. divisions of Devon, 1 mile (N. by W.) from Newton-Abbott; containing 1303 inhabitants. The parish comprises 2167 acres, of which 63 are common or waste land. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to the vicarage of King's Teignton: the impropriate tithes have been commuted for £132. 10.; and the vicarial for £245, with a glebe of 9 acres.
Highworth (St. Michael)
HIGHWORTH (St. Michael), a market-town and parish, in the union of Highworth and Swindon, hundred of Highworth, Cricklade, and Staple, Swindon and N. divisions of Wilts; containing, with the chapelries of Broad Blunsdon, South Marston, and Sevenhampton, and the tythings of Bury-Blunsdon, Eastrop, Fresdon, and Westrop, 3939 inhabitants, of whom 891 are in the town, 48 miles (N. by E.) from Salisbury, and 77 (W. by N.) from London. The name is expressive of the elevated situation of the place, and the extensive prospects which it commands. At the time of the Norman survey this was part of the royal demesne. The chief historical event connected with the town occurred during the civil war, on the 27th of June, 1645, when Major Hen, the governor of a royal garrison here, who had fortified the church, was summoned to surrender by the parliamentary troops, who, on their way to Taunton, had drawn up before it: after a short resistance he yielded, and the besiegers took 70 prisoners, with arms, and a considerable booty. The mark of a cannon-ball, which did much damage to the building, is still discernible. In the following month a skirmish took place here, in which great slaughter appears to have ensued on both sides; for on sinking a fence in a field west of the church, a few years since, a vast number of skeletons in high preservation was discovered, imbedded in the sand, at the depth of five feet. The Town is situated between the Thames and Severn canal, which passes about four miles to the north, and the Wilts and Berks canal, about the same distance towards the south: the Great Western railway also passes on the south. The houses in general are built of stone; the streets are partially paved, and the inhabitants are well supplied with water from springs. There is a small subscription library. The market is on Wednesday; and fairs are held on August 13th (Old Lammas-day), for horses, cattle, and sheep, and October 11th, a statute-fair for hiring servants. The town is under the jurisdiction of the county magistrates, who meet weekly at Swindon. A bailiff is appointed annually at the court held by the steward for the "manor of the borough of Highworth;" but his office is only to collect quit-rents. At this court, also, constables are selected for the town; and the day following, a court for the hundred is usually held by the steward for the manor, when the constables and tything-men for the different parishes and places in the hundred are chosen. He likewise holds, once in three weeks, a court of pleas, or court baron, for the manor or borough, and ancient hundred of Highworth; it is supposed to have been established by charter of Edward I., and debts under 40s. are recoverable in it. The town probably sent members to parliament at a very early period; a writ was addressed to the bailiffs in the 26th of Edward I., to which no return was made, nor does it appear that the elective franchise was ever afterwards exercised, though writs continued to be sent to the bailiffs until the 24th of Edward IV. The £10 householders now vote in the return of members for the borough of Cricklade.
The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £44. 8. 4.; patron, the Prebendary of Highworth in the Cathedral of Sarum: the great tithes have been commuted for £1150, and the vicarial for £430; the impropriate glebe comprises 40 acres. The church is an ancient building, erected in the reign of Henry VI., with a tower at the west end, which, as well as the other parts of the church, is surmounted by an open parapet; on the south side is a chantry, or monumental chapel, hung round with pieces of armour. There are chapels at Broad Blunsdon, South Marston, and Sevenhampton; and a place of worship for Independents. A national school was erected in 1835; and there are several donations for apprenticing boys, and other purposes, the principal of which is Baston's charity, producing about £50 per annum. The poor-law union of Highworth and Swindon comprises 16 parishes or places, of which 15 are in the county of Wilts, and one in that of Berks; and contains a population of 15,559.
HILARY, ST., a parish, in the union of Penzance, hundred of Penwith, W. division of Cornwall; containing 3649 inhabitants, of whom 1683 are in the market-town of Marazion. The parish is situated on the coast of Mount's Bay, and comprises 2675 acres, of which 900 are common or waste land; it abounds with mineral wealth, and the copper-mines of Marazion and Retallack are both within its limits. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £11. 6. 0½.; net income, £311; patrons, the Duke of Leeds, and the families of Buller, Beard, and Pascoe; impropriators, the landowners. The church is on the highest ground in the parish, and its whitewashed spire forms a conspicuous object in the scenery.
HILBECK, a township, in the parish of Brough, East ward and union, county of Westmorland, ½ a mile (N. N. E.) from Brough; containing 42 inhabitants. In old records this place is called Hellebeck; Helle, in Saxon, denoting waterfalls, of which there are several among the mountains here. In the neighbourhood is a coal-mine, not far from which, on an eminence commanding an extensive view, is a building named Fox Tower.
Hilborough (All Saints)
HILBOROUGH (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Swaffham, hundred of South Greenhoe, W. division of Norfolk, 6 miles (S.) from Swaffham; containing 337 inhabitants, and consisting of about 2800 acres. Hilborough Hall is a handsome mansion of white brick, finely situated in a richly-wooded park. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £13. 6. 8.; net income, £390; patron and incumbent, the Rev. John Dolignon, who has erected a glebe-house, and whose glebe comprises 56 acres. The church is built of flints, and has a strong square tower with freestone quoins, embattled, and crowned by crocketed pinnacles; it contains some sedilia of stone, and a double piscina of elegant design. At the north-western extremity of the village are the remains of a chapel dedicated to St. Margaret, founded by Sir John de Kailli and lady, in the reign of John, and called the Pilgrims' Chapel, probably from being visited by pilgrims on their way to Walsingham; it was richly endowed, and included among its possessions 100 acres of land in the parish.
HILBREE, a small island, on the coast of Chester, near the mouth of the river Dee, 3 miles (W. N. W.) from West Kirby; containing 19 inhabitants. This is the largest of a group of islands, the rest of which are uninhabited; it formerly belonged to Chester cathedral, but is now connected with the county of Lancaster, having been purchased by the corporation of Liverpool. Hilbree is remarkable for having had one of the most ancient lights or beacons on the coast, to the support of which, John, the last earl of Chester, contributed ten shillings annually, in the time of Henry III. Here was also a cell dedicated to the Virgin Mary.
HILDENLEY, a township, in the parish of Appleton-le-Street, union of Malton, wapentake of Ryedale, N. riding of York, 3 miles (W. S. W.) from Malton; containing 22 inhabitants. It is situated on the west of the river Derwent, and comprises by computation 450 acres. Sir George Strickland, Bart., formerly resided at the Hall, which is now unoccupied.
Hildersham (Holy Trinity)
HILDERSHAM (Holy Trinity), a parish, in the union of Linton, hundred of Chilford, county of Cambridge, 1¾ mile (N. W. by N.) from Linton; containing 238 inhabitants. This place formerly belonged to the De Veres, earls of Oxford, who were lords of the manor. The parish comprises by computation 1500 acres: the village is pleasantly situated on a small stream which flows into the river Granta. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £15. 0. 5.; patron and incumbent, the Rev. Charles Goodwin: the tithes have been commuted for £407, and the glebe comprises 67 acres. The church is in the early English style: the east window is of large dimensions and of elegant design, and in several of the windows are beautiful remains of stained glass; there are some ancient monuments, with the effigies in oak of Sir Robert de Boteller, a knight crusader of the fourteenth century, and his lady, and some brasses to the Paris family, who settled here in the reign of Edward III. The Roman road leading from the station near Cambridge to Colchester bounds the parish. Matthew Paris, the historian, is supposed to have been born here.
HILDERSTONE, a liberty, in the parish and union of Stone, S. division of the hundred of Pirehill, N. division of the county of Stafford, 3 miles (E. N. E.) from Stone; containing 501 inhabitants. This district, which is situated on the road from Leek to Sandon, comprises about 2000 acres; the scenery is in many parts pleasingly rural, and in some highly picturesque. Hilderstone Hall, the seat of the late Ralph Bourne, Esq., lord of the manor, is a handsome mansion. Several of the cottagers are employed in the making of shoes for the manufacturers of Stafford. A church was erected at the expense of the late Mr. Bourne, and consecrated on the 31st July, 1833: it is a chaste structure of stone, with a tower surmounted by a graceful spire; the interior is well arranged, and the east window embellished with a well-executed painting of the Saviour administering the Elements. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £63; patrons, the Heirs of the late Mr. Bourne. A rent-charge of £96. 16. has been awarded as a commutation for the tithes. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.
HILDERTHORPE, a township, in the parish and union of Bridlington, wapentake of Dickering, E. riding of York, 1½ mile (S.) from Bridlington; containing, with Wilsthorpe, 116 inhabitants. These two places together comprise about 600 acres, and are situated on the coast of the North Sea.
Hilgay (All Saints)
HILGAY (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Downham, hundred of Clackclose, W. division of Norfolk, 4 miles (S. by E.) from Downham; containing 1515 inhabitants. The parish comprises 7860a. 2r. 27p., of which about 4780 acres are arable, 2511 pasture and meadow, and 83 woodland. Wood-hall is an ancient mansion in the Elizabethan style, situated on high ground, and commanding fine views of the Isle of Ely. The river Ouse and the road from Lynn to London intersect the parish; and the navigable river Wissey, over which, in 1841, an iron bridge of one arch was erected, passes by the village on the north. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £10, and in the gift of the Rev. W. J. Parkes: the tithes have been commuted for £1600, and the glebe comprises 85 acres, with a house. The church is a spacious structure, chiefly in the later English style, with a brick tower built in 1794; in the southern portion of the church is a handsome monument to Sir J. H. Hawear and his two wives. There are places of worship for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists. A church estate of 52 acres, with two houses, lets for £160. 10.; and 14l½ acres, left in 1656 and 1690 to the poor, by Sir John and Sir Cecil Wray, produce £255: the proceeds, also, of 13 acres, amounting to £20, are applied to instruction. Near the bank of the Ouse, in the parish, was a small priory of Black monks, a cell to Ramsey Abbey.
Hill (St. Michael)
HILL (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of Thornbury, Lower division of the hundred of Berkeley, W. division of the county of Gloucester, 3½ miles (N. N. E.) from Thornbury; containing 227 inhabitants. The parish is situated on the Severn, and comprises 1966a. 8p., of which about 1596 acres are meadow and pasture, 210 arable, and 130 wood. The surface of the western portion, extending to the river, which is here more than two miles wide, is a complete level, clothed with luxuriant herbage, and studded with numerous groups of stately trees; the eastern portion is finely undulated, rising into eminences of considerable elevation, two of which, immediately above the mansion of Hill Court, command extensive prospects. The soil is chiefly a loam, producing abundant crops. Hill Court is supposed to have been a monastery founded in the twelfth century; it was for many generations the residence of the family of Fast or Faust, lineal descendants of the celebrated Dr. Faust, who either introduced or greatly improved the art of printing. The living is a donative, exempt from episcopal jurisdiction, in the patronage of Sir H. Jenner Fust: the tithes have been commuted for £250; the glebe contains less than one acre, with a small cottage. The church is a neat plain structure, forming a wing to the mansion of Hill Court; it is fitted up with open seats fronted with richlycarved oak, and the ancient practice of placing males and females on the opposite sides of the church is still retained.
HILL, a hamlet, in the parish of Sutton-Coldfield, union of Aston, locally in the Birmingham division of the hundred of Hemlingford, N. division of the county of Warwick, 2 miles (N. by W.) from Sutton-Coldfield; containing 1355 inhabitants. This place is situated on the road from Sutton to Lichfield; the surface is undulated, the soil gravelly, and the scenery picturesque. A church, dedicated to St. James, was erected in 1835, at a cost of about £1600, raised by subscription, aided by a grant from the Incorporated Society; it is a neat edifice, with a square tower. The living is in the gift of the Rector. The income of the incumbent is £40, with the addition of £20 derived from pew-rents; a glebe-house adjoins the church. There is a place of worship for dissenters; and two schools are supported by the corporation of SuttonColdfield.
HILL, with Moor, a township, in the parish of Fladbury, union of Pershore, Middle division of the hundred of Oswaldslow, Pershore and E. divisions of the county of Worcester, 4 miles (N. E. by E.) from Pershore; containing 334 inhabitants. It comprises 1293 acres, of which two-thirds are arable: the surface is hilly, but well cultivated; and there are fine prospects of the surrounding country.