A Topographical Dictionary of England. Originally published by S Lewis, London, 1848.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
Pakenham (St. Mary)
PAKENHAM (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Thingoe, hundred of Thedwastry, W. division of Suffolk, 5 miles (E. N. E.) from Bury St. Edmund's; containing 1102 inhabitants, and comprising 3602a. 11p. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £10. 3. 9.; net income, £281; patron, Lord Calthorpe; impropriator, the Rev. Spring Casborne.
Palgrave (St. Peter)
PALGRAVE (St. Peter), a parish, in the union and hundred of Hartismere, W. division of Suffolk, 1 mile (S.) from Diss; containing 730 inhabitants. It comprises by admeasurement 1474 acres, of which 34 are common or waste land: the road from Botesdale to Diss runs through the village, and that between London and Norwich, by way of Bury, through the south part of the parish. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £19. 11. 3., and in the gift of Sir E. Kerrison, Bart.: the tithes have been commuted for £440; the glebe comprises 4 acres, with a house. The church is chiefly in the decorated style, and has a handsome porch on the south. Thomas Martin, the antiquary, was buried at Palgrave.
Palling (St. Margaret)
PALLING (St. Margaret), a parish, in the Tunstead and Happing incorporation, hundred of Happing, E. division of Norfolk, 4 miles (E. by N.) from Stalham; containing 425 inhabitants. The parish is situated on the coast, and comprises 824a. 2r. 18p., of which 601 acres are arable, and 205 pasture. About ten boats are employed in fishing. The living is a discharged vicarage, annexed to the rectory of Waxham, and valued in the king's books at £2. 6. 8.: the impropriate tithes have been commuted for £162. 14., and the vicarial for £93. 6. The church is in the later English style of architecture. At the inclosure, in 1812, fourteen acres were allotted to the poor.
PAMBER, a parish, in the union of Basingstoke, hundred of Barton-Stacey, Andover and N. divisions of the county of Southampton, 4¼ miles (N. N. W.) from Basingstoke; containing 484 inhabitants. The tithes are impropriate in Queen's College, Oxford, and have been commuted for £270: there is no church. The annual proceedings of the manorial courts are recorded on a piece of wood furnished by the steward.
Pampisford (St. John the Baptist)
PAMPISFORD (St. John the Baptist), a parish, in the union of Linton, hundred of Chilford, county of Cambridge, 4½ miles (W. by N.) from Linton, and 9 (S. S. E.) from Cambridge; containing 333 inhabitants. It comprises 1467 acres, of which 150 are pasture, and the rest arable. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £8; net income, £85; patron, T. Mortlock, Esq.: the tithes were commuted for land and a money payment in 1799. The church is principally in the Norman style.
PANBOROUGH, a hamlet, in the parish of Wedmore, union of Axbridge, hundred of Bempstone, though locally in the hundred of Glaston-TwelveHides, E. division of the county of Somerset, 5 miles (W.) from Wells; containing 81 inhabitants.
PANCRAS, ST., a parish, in the Holborn division of the hundred of Ossulstone, county of Middlesex, a suburb to London; containing 129,763 inhabitants. This parish exhibits, in an extraordinary degree, the vast increase which, within the last half century, and particularly during the last twenty years, has taken place in the districts bordering upon the metropolis. In the year 1765, it was a remote and isolated spot, consisting of a few scattered dwellings, and containing only 60 inhabitants; and its ancient church of diminutive size, suited to the smallness of the population, formed a romantic feature in the landscape. Since that period, however, large tracts of meadow land have been covered with buildings, and it is now one of the most populous parishes in the vicinity of London, comprising KentishTown, Camden-Town, Somers-Town, and part of Highgate. The streets are well paved, and lighted with gas, and the inhabitants are supplied with water by the West Middlesex and New-River Companies, the latter of which has a reservoir in the Hampstead-road. Among the buildings on the south side of the New-road, is University College, which, with its grounds, occupies an area of seven acres, at the upper end of Gower-street; it is noticed under the head of London, as is the adjacent hospital.
The Colosseum, in the Regent's Park, which was sold by auction, in May 1843, for 23,000 guineas, was erected in 1824, for the exhibition of the grand panoramic view of London, and its environs for ten miles round, taken by Mr. Horner, from the cross of St. Paul's Cathedral. It very much resembles the Pantheon at Rome, being a stately polygonal building of stone, 400 feet in circumference, with a massive and boldly projecting portico of six columns, of the Grecian-Doric order, supporting a cornice and triangular pediment. From the main building rises a spacious and well-proportioned dome, crowned with a parapet forming a circular gallery, from which an extensive and pleasing view of the country is obtained. The gardens in the rear are laid out with great variety; and besides the panorama, are various objects of attraction, comprising a museum of sculpture, a Gothic aviary, classic ruins, conservatories, caverns, fountains, and other beautiful designs. The extent occupied by the building and grounds is little short of five acres. Beyond the Colosseum, on that side of the park which is in the parish, are, Cambridge-place, a range of plain substantial houses; Chester-terrace, an elegant pile of building, consisting of a centre decorated with eight Corinthian pillars supporting an entablature and cornice, and of two handsome wings; Cumberland-terrace, consisting of a centre and two continuous wings of the Ionic order, the central pediment and the pediments in the wings being enriched with alto-relievos, and each surmounted on the apex and at the ends with finely-sculptured statues; and Gloucester-terrace, a handsome range, having in the centre six Ionic pillars supporting a cornice surmounted by an open balustrade. At the north-western extremity of the park are the gardens of the Zoological Society, laid out in walks and shrubberies, and divided into compartments, in which various buildings have been erected, for the reception of animals of every description.
The cavalry barracks in Albany-road are neatly built of brick, and occupy an area of eight acres and a half; the buildings comprise accommodation for 400 men, with stabling for their horses, a riding-school, infirmary, magazine, and an extensive ground for exercise. The Tottenham-street, now called the Queen's, theatre, is a plain building, arranged for the reception of about 800 persons. Bagnigge wells, anciently noted for its chalybeate water, St. Chad's wells, and Pancras' wells, are in the parish. Brookes' menagerie, in the New-road, has a large collection of foreign birds, constantly on sale. On the line of the same road are the premises of numerous statuaries and masons, and show-rooms for ornamental marble chimney-pieces; also the establishments of several organ-builders and piano-forte manufacturers. The Regent's canal passes through the parish, in which are some wharfs; and near Euston-square is the well-built and handsome terminus of the London and Birmingham railroad. This terminus has lately been enlarged, and now forms an irregular oblong of about 1050 feet north and south, by about 400 at the southern, and 660 at the northern, extremity; several new buildings have been just erected, and altogether the station, with its extensive workshops, ranges of offices, spacious covered way, and entrance of fine Grecian architecture, presents one of the most extraordinary and ornamental business establishments in the metropolis. In addition to Cumberland market for hay, is a general market for butchers' meat and provisions in a part of Somers-Town called the Brill. The parish is under the stipendiary magistrates of the metropolis.
The living is a vicarage, in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of St. Paul's, valued in the king's books at £9. 5.; net income, £1700; impropriator, W. Thiselton, Esq. The old parochial church, now used as a chapel, has undergone so many alterations and repairs, that it retains few vestiges of its original character: it was enlarged in 1847-8, at a cost of about £2000. The churchyard has been long the burial-place of Roman Catholics, and contains the remains of many eminent foreigners, including the Archbishop of Narbonne, and seven bishops expelled from France; General Paoli; several French marshals; and the Chevalier D'Eon. Here also were buried, Mary Wolstoncroft Godwin; John Walker, compiler of the Pronouncing Dictionary; Tiberius Cavallo, a philosophical writer; Woollett, the eminent engraver; Webbe, the glee composer; Dr. J. E. Grabe, a learned divine; and Jeremy Collier. The living of the old church is a perpetual curacy; net income, £200; patron, the Vicar. The new parochial church in Euston-square, a splendid structure begun in May 1819, and consecrated May 7th, 1822, was built and furnished at an expense of upwards of £76,600, and is after the model of the Temple of Erectheus at Athens, with a lofty tower of three receding stages, resembling the Temple of the Winds. At the west entrance is a stately portico of six fluted Ionic columns, sustaining an entablature and cornice, surmounted by a pediment; at the east end are two projecting wings forming the vestry and registry, the roofs of which, on the fascia, are supported on caryatides. The interior is chastely decorated; the altar-piece is ornamented with six verd antique columns of Scagliola marble.
A church was erected in Regent-square, by grant of the Parliamentary Commissioners, in 1824, at an expense of £16,025; it is a handsome edifice in the Grecian style, with a portico of the Ionic order, and an octagonal tower of two stages. The living is a district incumbency, in the patronage of the Vicar; net income, £400. ChristChurch, Regent's Park, consecrated June 13th, 1837, and containing 1800 sittings, was erected at a cost of about £6000, raised by subscription: the living is in the gift of the Bishop of London. Trinity church, Gray's-Inn-road, built of brick, with a small steeple of stone, at a cost of about £7200, and capable of accommodating 1500 persons, was consecrated December 13th, 1838: this church belongs to St. Andrew's, Holborn, but is surrounded on all sides by St. Pancras. All Saints', Gordon-square, was consecrated in 1842, and contains 1200 sittings: the living is in the Bishop's gift. The church of St. John the Evangelist, in Charlottestreet, Fitzroy-square, was consecrated in July 1846, and is a Norman edifice, with a tower and spire rising 120 feet from the ground. St. Jude's temporary church, in Britannia-street, Gray's-Inn-road, was opened October 1847. In the parish are, Fitzroy proprietary episcopal chapel, a neat building of brick; an episcopal chapel in Gray's-Inn-road, belonging to the Rev. Thos. Mortimer, B.D.; Percy chapel, Charlotte-street; and Woburn chapel. Two incumbencies have been just formed, called St. Luke's, King's-cross, and St. Matthew's, Oakley-square, Bedford-Town; and besides these, are, a chapel to the church of St. James', Piccadilly, with an extensive cemetery; a chapel and cemetery belonging to St. Giles'-in-the-Fields; and the burial-grounds of the parishes of St. Andrew Holborn, St. George Bloomsbury, St. George the Martyr, and St. Martin-in-the-Fields. Other churches or chapels are noticed in the articles on Camden-Town, Kentish-Town, and Somers-Town. There are places of worship for Baptists, Independents, Wesleyans, and Calvinistic and other Methodists, a Scottish church, and a Roman Catholic chapel: of these the Scottish church, in Regent-square, is in the later English style, with two lofty towers at the western entrance.
The Foundling Hospital, situated on the north side of Guildford-street, between Brunswick and Mecklenburgh squares, was founded by charter of George II., in 1739, "for the maintenance and instruction of deserted infants," who are put under the care of nurses in the country till of a proper age to receive instruction. There are generally about 400 children in the institution, and the income is about £14,000 per annum, arising from funded property, the produce of sums given for admission to the chapel, the children's work, and subscriptions. The premises consist of a spacious and elegant chapel, which occupies the centre, and two wings containing dormitories, schools, and the apartments for the conductors of the establishment. The chapel is decorated with a fine altar-piece, painted by West; the organ was presented by Handel, who devoted to the use of the charity the profits arising from the performance of his oratorio of the Messiah. The Welsh Charity School, in Gray's-Innlane, was established in 1714, for the maintenance and education of children born of Welsh parents resident near London: the premises, occupying three sides of a quadrangle, are handsomely built of brick. In the institution are preserved several interesting manuscripts illustrative of the history of the ancient Britons. St. Katherine's Hospital was originally founded by Matilda, wife of Stephen, in 1148, and the endowment was augmented by Eleanor, queen dowager of Henry III., for a master, three clerical brethren, three sisters, ten bedeswomen, and six poor clerks: the institution was patronized by succeeding queens of England, and takes its name from Katherine, consort of Henry VIII. On the construction of St. Katherine's Docks, near the Tower, the old premises were taken down in 1826, and the establishment removed to Regent's Park, where the present buildings were erected. They are handsomely built of white brick, and comprise two ranges, each consisting of three separate houses, with an oriel window at the end front, in the Elizabethan style, for the residence of the brethren and sisters, between which is the chapel, an elegant structure in the later English style, with two angular turrets crowned by bold pinnacles. The front of the chapel is ornamented with sculptures, and the entrance doorway and window above it are of good design; the windows generally are of lofty dimensions and enriched with tracery, and the large east window is embellished with painted glass. Adjoining the chapel is a school, in which twenty-four boys and twelve girls are instructed; and opposite to the hospital, in the area of the park, is an elegant villa, built for the residence of the master of the hospital. Baths and Wash-houses for the labouring classes were erected in 1845–6, at the base of the extensive and elevated reservoir belonging to the New-River Company, in the Hampstead-road; the site was presented by the company, and comprises 7000 square feet. In the Pancras-road, nearly opposite the old church, are eight model houses, comprising more than a hundred separate dwellings, completed at the end of 1847, by the Metropolitan Association for improving the dwellings of the Industrious Classes: this was the society's first attempt to accommodate several families in one large building. The parish, under the poor-law act, is superintended by twenty guardians.
Pancrass Week or Wyke (St. Pancras)
PANCRASS WEEK or WYKE (St. Pancras), a parish, in the union of Holsworthy, hundred of Black Torrington, Holsworthy and N. divisions of Devon, 3 miles (W. by N.) from Holsworthy; containing 540 inhabitants. It comprises 3500 acres, of which 1500 are common or waste land. The river Tamar and the Bude canal pass through the parish. The living is annexed to the vicarage of Bradworthy. At Lana is the site of an ancient chapel.
Panfield (St. Mary and St. Christopher)
PANFIELD (St. Mary and St. Christopher), a parish, in the union of Braintree, hundred of Hinckford, N. division of Essex, 2 miles (N. W. by N.) from Braintree; containing 299 inhabitants. An alien priory of Benedictine monks, subordinate to the abbey of St. Stephen, at Caen, in Normandy, was founded here in the reign of William the Conqueror; in that of Henry V. it became parcel of the possessions of the convent of Canterbury, and at the Dissolution was granted to Sir Giles Capel. The parish is bounded on the north-east by the river Blackwater, and comprises 1475a. 19p., of which about 1200 acres are arable, 130 pasture, and 120 wood: the surface is agreeably diversified, and enriched with foliage; the soil is generally a strong loam, resting on clay. Panfield Hall, built in 1546, is a curious specimen of the domestic architecture of that period, subsequently modernised by frequent alterations and repairs. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £10. 10.; patron and incumbent, the Rev. R. L. Page: the tithes have been commuted for £500, and the glebe comprises 7 acres. The church is a small edifice, with a tower surmounted by a shingled spire; the altar-piece is handsome, and there are some remains of ancient stained glass in the windows.
Pangbourn (St. James)
PANGBOURN (St. James), a parish and small post-town, in the union of Bradfield, hundred of Reading, county of Berks, 5½ miles (W. N. W.) from Reading; containing 804 inhabitants. The parish takes its name from a fine trout stream called the Pang, which runs through it, and falls into the Thames on the east. It comprises 1924a. 36p., of which about 1340 acres are arable, 248 meadow and pasture, and 237 wood. The soil is in general a sharp gravel and chalk, and some of the land adjacent to the village is particularly fertile; the surface is hilly, and the summits of the eminences command fine views. The Great Western railway has a station here. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £10, and in the gift of J. S. Breedon, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for £609, and the glebe contains about 3 acres, with a house. There is a place of worship for Independents. A school was founded in 1685, by John Breedon, who endowed it with a rent-charge of £40. In October, 1838, the excavators for the railway, at Shooter's Hill, in the parish, lighted upon five human skeletons, the remains of Roman soldiers, in and about whose graves were spearheads, spurs, and battle-axes of British and Roman manufacture, urns of terra cotta, and a large quantity of coins of various Roman emperors.
Pannall (St. Robert of Knaresborough)
PANNALL (St. Robert of Knaresborough), a parish, in the Lower division of the wapentake of Claro, W. riding of York, 3½ miles (S.) from Harrogate, on the road to Leeds; containing 1413 inhabitants. The parish includes Low Harrogate, and comprises 4628 acres, of which about two-thirds are meadow and pasture, and the remainder, with the exception of about 200 acres of plantation, good arable land; the surface is undulated, and the scenery beautifully varied. On Harlow Hill is an observatory, erected in 1830, by Mr. John Thompson, and commanding an extensive view. There are several handsome seats in the parish and its vicinity, among which are Pannall Hall; Moor Park, surrounded with thriving plantations; Beckwith House, in a richlywooded demesne; and Rosehirst, finely situated on an eminence. The district for some miles round presents desirable sites for residences. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £5. 5.; net income, £240; patron and incumbent, the Rev. Thomas Simpson. The church is an ancient structure in the early English style, with a square tower; the nave was rebuilt in 1772. A district church has been erected at Low Harrogate. There are places of worship for Wesleyans; and a school built in 1818. On the estate of Mr. Wright, of Beckwith House, a spring, similar to the Sulphur well at Harrogate, has been discovered a short distance west of the observatory; and within a few yards is another fine spring, similar in quality to the old spa at the south-east corner of Harrogate heath.
Panteague (St. Mary)
PANTEAGUE (St. Mary), a parish, in the union and division of Pont-y-Pool, hundred of Usk, county of Monmouth, 4 miles (W. S. W.) from Usk; containing 2171 inhabitants. The parish is traversed by the road from Pont-y-Pool to Newport; and comprises 3455a. 10p., of which about 633 acres are arable, 1188 meadow and pasture, 960 common pasture, and 456 woodland. The scenery is in some parts bold and mountainous, in others picturesque, and is diversified with extensive lakes, some of which stretch beyond the limits of the parish. The soil exhibits several varieties, but is principally clay and loam. Here are iron and coal mines, and quarries of limestone and other stone used for building; several hundred persons are employed at iron-furnaces and forges, and at tin-plate mills. The Monmouthshire and Breconshire canal passes through the parish. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £7. 10. 2½., and in the gift of Capel Hanbury Leigh, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for £331, and the glebe comprises about 34 acres. There are two chapels where the service of the Church is performed; one situated at Pont-y-moile, formerly a meeting-house belonging to the Society of Friends; and the other at Pen-yr-hoel, built at the expense of Mr. Leigh. The Independents have a place of worship.
Panton (St. Andrew)
PANTON (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union of Horncastle, E. division of the wapentake of Wraggoe, parts of Lindsey, county of Lincoln, 3¾ miles (E. by N.) from the town of Wragby; containing 150 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £12, and in the gift of C. Turnor, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for £416, and the glebe contains nearly 24 acres.
Panxworth (All Saints)
PANXWORTH (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Blofield, hundred of Walsham, E. division of Norfolk, 4½ miles (N. W. by W.) from Acle; containing 141 inhabitants, and comprising 582a. 2r. 30p. There are a corn-mill and a malting establishment. The living is a discharged rectory, annexed to the vicarage of Woodbastwick: the tithes have been commuted for £152, and the glebe contains 32 acres.
Papcastle, with Goat
PAPCASTLE, with Goat, a township, in the parish of Bridekirk, union of Cockermouth, Allerdale ward below Derwent, W. division of Cumberland, 1 mile (N. W.) from Cockermouth; containing 568 inhabitants. It comprises 1127 acres, of which 152 are common or waste land. The village is finely situated on an eminence above the river Derwent, and occupies the site of a Roman castrum, where a great number of urns and coins, remains of baths, &c., have been discovered. After the Conquest, the castle here became the property of Waldeof, lord of Allerdale, who caused it to be demolished, and the materials to be used in the erection of Cockermouth Castle, the seat of his descendants. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for £54, and the vicarial for £21. 4.
PAPERHAUGH, a township, in the parish and union of Rothbury, W. division of Coquetdale ward, N. division of Northumberland, 3½ miles (E. S. E.) from Rothbury; containing 52 inhabitants. It stands at the eastern extremity of the parish, and upon the northern brink of the Coquet river, along the margin of which a level and convenient road was formed some years since, from Weldon-bridge to Rothbury, at an expense of £1400. The land by the river side is light and sandy, and produces good crops of barley and turnips; the higher parts are thin moory soil.
Papplewick (St. James)
PAPPLEWICK (St. James), a parish, in the union of Basford, N. division of the wapentake of Broxtow and of the county of Nottingham, 7 miles (N. by W.) from Nottingham; containing, with Newstead liberty, 512 inhabitants, of whom 319 are in the township of Papplewick. The township comprises by computation 963 acres, in equal portions of arable and grass land: the village is situated on the eastern bank of the river Leen. Papplewick Hall, built in 1787, is an elegant stone edifice, with a lawn of 60 acres, commanding pleasing prospects. A sheep-fair is held in September. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £91; patron, Andrew Montagu, Esq., whose estate here was at one time part of that of Newstead Priory adjoining. The church, which is in the later English style, was built in 1796, at the expense of the Right Hon. Frederic Montagu. In the side of a hill in the neighbourhood, is a small but curious ancient excavation with passages and doorways, called Robin Hood's Stable.
Papworth St. Agnes (St. John the Baptist)
PAPWORTH ST. AGNES (St. John the Baptist), a parish, in the union of Caxton and Arrington, partly in the hundred of Toseland, county of Huntingdon, but chiefly in that of Papworth, county of Cambridge, 4 miles (S. S. E.) from Huntingdon; containing 146 inhabitants. From the ruins scattered throughout, Papworth appears to have been formerly a place of considerable importance; and the old manorhouse, now a farmhouse, still exhibits vestiges of decayed magnificence, especially in its fine fretted ceilings and very superior masonry. The parish is situated on the old north road, or Ermin-street; and comprises about 1230 acres, of which 331 are grass, 42 wood and plantations, and nearly all the rest arable. It lies in a valley, from which hills gradually rise on all sides to the height of about one hundred feet; the scenery is agreeably diversified with elm, ash, oak, and larch trees, and the soil is clay. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £9. 16. 3.; patron and incumbent, the Rev. H. J. Sperling: the tithes have been commuted for £293, and the glebe contains 70 acres, with a house, recently built. The church, which is in Cambridgeshire, is supposed to have been built in the fifteenth century; the tower is said to have been demolished by Cromwell's troops. There is a saline chalybeate spring, which at one time was in great repute.
Papworth St. Everard (St. Peter)
PAPWORTH ST. EVERARD (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Caxton and Arrington, hundred of Papworth, county of Cambridge, 3 miles (N. N. W.) from Caxton; containing 117 inhabitants. It comprises by measurement 1091 acres, of which 120 are pasture, 30 woodland, 233 common or waste, and the remainder arable; the soil is clayey. The surface is undulated, and enriched with wood; the chief timber is oak, which, though not large in growth, is of good quality, and much used in building. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £9. 15. 10., and in the gift of Trinity College, Cambridge: the tithes have been commuted for £187. 10.; the glebe contains 23½ acres. The church is a small plain structure, and appears to have been originally much larger than at present.
PARBOLD, a township, in the ecclesiastical district of Douglas, parish of Eccleston, union of Wigan, hundred of Leyland, N. division of Lancashire, 5¾ miles (N. W.) from Wigan; containing 415 inhabitants. This place was held by Robert, lord of Lathom, in the reigns of Richard I. and John. He was the son of Robert Fitz Henry, founder of Burscough Priory, upon which establishment several members of the family conferred lands in Parbold. The Lathoms long possessed the estate, to which the Crisps succeeded about 1730; and from them it was purchased by the Dicconsons, of Wrightington, who assumed the name of Scarisbrick, of Wrightington and Scarisbrick. The scenery of the township is very beautiful, and from the higher grounds are views of the sea, of Liverpool, and the Welsh mountains: the river Douglas passes on the west and south. The tithes have been commuted for £188. 16. There are some small bequests for the poor.
Pardsey, with Ullock and Dean-Scales
PARDSEY, with Ullock and Dean-Scales, a township, in the parish of Dean, union of Cockermouth, Allerdale ward above Derwent, W. division of the county of Cumberland, 4 miles (S. S. W.) from Cockermouth; containing 350 inhabitants.
Parham (St. Mary)
PARHAM (St. Mary), a parish, in the union and hundred of Plomesgate, E. division of Suffolk, 7 miles (N. N. E.) from Woodbridge; containing 514 inhabitants, and comprising 2212a. 2r. 5p. Parham Hall, a curious specimen of the domestic architecture of the time of Elizabeth, is situated in a park well wooded with oak and elm, and commanding extensive views of the South Downs. The ceiling of the hall is stuccoed in compartments, and its west end bears the arms of Queen Elizabeth; the gallery in the upper story is 158 feet long and 19 wide, and contains a series of curious family portraits. This was the seat of the lords Willoughby. The living is a discharged vicarage, with that of Hacheston consolidated; patron and impropriator, F. Corrance, Esq.: the great tithes have been commuted for £168, and the vicarial for £176. 13.; the glebe contains about 10 acres. The church, built by William de Ufford, Earl of Suffolk, who died in 1381, is in the later English style, with a square tower; the nave is separated from the chancel by a carved screen, and the eastern window is ornamented with stained glass. A national school was erected in 1841. The poet Crabbe resided for some years at Parham Lodge.
Parham (St. Peter)
PARHAM (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Thakeham, hundred of West Easwrith, rape of Arundel, W. division of Sussex, 8 miles (S. E.) from the town of Petworth; containing 53 inhabitants. It comprises 1134a. 1r. 12p., of which 292 acres are arable, 638 pasture and meadow, and 204 woodland. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £10, and in the gift of Lady De la Zouche: the tithes have been commuted for £130, and the glebe contains 18 acres. The church, which is in the later English style, was repaired, and a tower added, in 1800; it has an ancient leaden font in good preservation. Here was a cell to the abbey of Glastonbury.