A Topographical Dictionary of England. Originally published by S Lewis, London, 1848.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
Peopleton (St. Michael)
PEOPLETON (St. Michael), a parish, in the union, and Upper division of the hundred, of Pershore, Pershore and E. divisions of the county of Worcester, 3½ miles (N.) from Pershore; containing 316 inhabitants. The parish is situated on the road from Worcester to Evesham, and consists of 1471a. 3r. 15p. of a productive soil; two-thirds of the land are arable, and the rest pasture. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £11. 10.; net income, £147; patron and incumbent, the Rev. George Dineley.
PEOVER INFERIOR, a township, in the parish of Great Budworth, union of Altrincham, hundred of Bucklow, N. division of the county of Chester, 3 miles (S. by W.) from Knutsford; containing 104 inhabitants. It comprises 256 acres, the soil of which is partly clay and partly sand.
PEOVER, NETHER, a chapelry, in the parish of Great Budworth, union and hundred of Northwich, S. division of the county of Chester, 3 miles (S. by W.) from Knutsford; containing 248 inhabitants. The township comprises 850 acres, of the same quality of soil as Peover Inferior. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £110; patron, Lord de Tabley. The chapel is dedicated to St. Oswald. A school is endowed with land, purchased with £400 bequeathed by the Rev. Richard Cumberbach in 1720, and producing £50 per annum.
PEOVER SUPERIOR, a chapelry, in the parish of Rosthern, union of Altrincham, hundred of Bucklow, N. division of the county of Chester, 3 miles (S. S. E.) from Knutsford; containing 580 inhabitants. The township comprises 1251 acres, of which 23 are common or waste: the prevailing soil is sand and clay; the surface is level, and the cultivation is for dairy purposes. The seat of the Mainwaring family is here. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £92; patron, Sir H. Mainwaring, Bart.; appropriators, the Dean and Canons of Christ-Church Oxford. The chapel is dedidicated to St. Lawrence. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. A school, built about 1730, has an endowment of £10 a year.
Peper-Harow (St. Nicholas)
PEPER-HAROW (St. Nicholas), a parish, in the union of Hambledon, First division of the hundred of Godalming, W. division of Surrey, 3 miles (W.) from Godalming; containing 140 inhabitants. It comprises 1516a. 4p., of which 354 acres are arable, 330 pasture, 130 woodland, and 600 waste. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £6. 7. 6., and in the patronage of Viscount Midleton: the tithes have been commuted for £155, and there are 61½ acres of glebe. The church is picturesquely situated in PeperHarow Park, which contains some very fine timber, and is watered by the river Wey; the building was considerably enlarged, and a handsome tower erected, in 1826, by the late viscount.
PERLETHORPE, a chapelry, in the parish of Edwinstowe, union of Southwell, Hatfield division of the wapentake of Bassetlaw, N. division of the county of Nottingham, 2¼ miles (N. by W.) from Ollerton; comprising 4127 acres. The village is small, and situated on the east side of Thoresby Park, within which a great part of the chapelry is included. Thoresby was the seat of Evelyn, Duke of Kingston, whose eldest daughter, Lady Mary Wortley Montagu, was born here: the mansion, which was destroyed by fire in 1745, and rebuilt, is now the seat of Earl Manvers, and is a fine structure of stone, with a rustic basement, and a tetrastyle portico of the Ionic order. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the gift of the Earl; net income, £100. The chapel is a very handsome edifice, erected by one of the Pierrepoint family, upon the site of a former one; the windows exhibit both ancient and modern specimens of stained glass, and over the altar is a painting, by West, of Peter denying Christ.
Perran-Arworthal (St. Peran)
PERRAN-ARWORTHAL (St. Peran), a parish, in the union of Falmouth, E. division of the hundred of Kerrier, W. division of Cornwall, 3 miles (N.) from Penryn; containing 1755 inhabitants. This parish, which comprises about 1250 acres, is pleasantly situated, and in many parts the scenery is highly picturesque: Perran Vale is finely wooded, and watered by a stream abounding with excellent trout; and at Bisson is an ancient bridge of five arches, over the river Carnon, which flows through the parish. Near Perran-Will is an extensive manufactory of arsenic. Lead, copper, and tin ores are occasionally procured in the parish, and at Bisson-Bridge is a smelting-house; the making of nails is carried on to a considerable extent, and there is a large blanket and carpet manufactory. The Carnon stream-works are partly within the parish, in which stream gold has been found. The living is a vicarage, annexed to that of Stithians: the great tithes have been commuted for £150, and the small for £99; there is a glebe of 4 acres. Here are places of worship for Bryanites and Wesleyans.
Perran-Uthnoe (St. Peran)
PERRAN-UTHNOE (St. Peran), a parish, in the union of Penzance, hundred of Penwith, W. division of Cornwall, 1½ mile (S. E.) from Marazion; containing 1438 inhabitants. This parish, which comprises 1127a. 2r. 36p., whereof 50 acres are common or waste, is bounded on the south by Mount's bay, and intersected by the roads from Falmouth and Truro to Penzance. It is said that a chapel was founded here about 460 by St. Kyran or Pyran, an Irishman, contemporary with St. Patrick. The South Wheal Neptune copper-mine, under the sea, and the St. Peran tin-mine, afford employment to a part of the population; and stone is quarried for building. At Gold-Sithney, a large fair for cattle, coarse cloths, hardware, &c., is held on the 5th of August. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £17. 11. 5½., and in the patronage of the Dowager Lady Carrington: the tithes have been commuted for £290, and there are about 17 acres of glebe, exclusive of gardens. The church, which is surmounted by a tower, contains several monuments. A chapel in Gold-Sithney, dedicated to St. James, and long in a dilapidated state, has been lately taken down. There are places of worship for Methodists.
PERRAN-WHARF, partly in the parish of PerranArworthal, and partly in that of Mylor, union of Falmouth, E. division of the hundred of Kerrier, W. division of Cornwall, 5 miles (S. S. W.) from Truro. This place is situated on a branch of the river Fal, and in a fertile vale, finely wooded, and thickly studded with pleasing villas. The new road from Truro to Falmouth passes through the village; and a railroad, communicating with the Redruth and Gwennap mines, has been constructed to the wharf, for facilitating the conveyance of mineral and other produce. A considerable trade is carried on in coal, lime, and slates, and in timber from Canada and Norway. Here is also a large foundry for the manufacture of steam-engines.
Perranzabuloe, or Perran-in-the-Sand (St. Peran)
PERRANZABULOE, or Perran-in-the-Sand (St. Peran), a parish, in the union of Truro, W. division of the hundred of Pyder and of the county of Cornwall, 7 miles (W. N. W.) from St. Michael; containing 3161 inhabitants. This parish comprises 10,995 acres, of which 3404 are common or waste land; it is situated on the shore of the Bristol Channel, and includes the small harbour of Perran-Porth, to which belong several seans that are employed in the pilchard-fishery off the coast. The beach is a firm smooth sand, well adapted for sea-bathing, and is much frequented for that purpose. The western portion of the parish is very populous, and inhabited chiefly by miners, who live in detached cottages thickly scattered over the commons; the vicinity abounds in mines of tin, copper, lead, and zinc. A fair is held on Easter-Tuesday, sometimes at Millingy, and sometimes at Penhallow, in the parish. The living is a discharged vicarage, with that of St. Agnes annexed, valued in the king's books at £24; net income, £419; patrons and appropriators, the Dean and Chapter of Exeter. The great tithes of Perranzabuloe have been commuted for £395, and the vicarial for £265. The ancient church was collegiate for a dean and canons in the time of Edward the Confessor, and had the privilege of sanctuary; it was overwhelmed by the sand, as was another subsequently erected. A third church was built near the village of Lambourn, and consecrated in 1805; it is a cruciform structure, with a tower, and is capable of accommodating 500 persons. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. Near Lambourn is St. Peran's well, to which miraculous efficacy was formerly attributed in the cure of diseases; and about a mile and a half from the well is St. Peran's Round, one of the ancient Cornish amphitheatres, for the celebration of games and sports; besides which, there are several old earthworks in the parish.
PERRIVALE, a parish, in the union of Brentford, hundred of Elthorne, county of Middlesex, 3¼ miles (S. by E.) from the town of Harrow; containing 46 inhabitants. It is on the bank of the Brent river, a short distance from the Paddington canal; and comprises 627 acres, of which 34 are common or waste. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £6. 13. 4., and in the patronage of Lady T. Croft; net income, £185.
Perrot, North (St. Martin)
PERROT, NORTH (St. Martin), a parish, in the union of Yeovil, hundred of Houndsborough, Berwick, and Coker, W. division of Somerset, 3 miles (E.) from Crewkerne; containing 431 inhabitants. The parish is separated from Dorsetshire by the river Parret, from which it takes its name. A good description of stone, applicable to building purposes, is found; and sailcloth, girth-web, and twine are manufactured. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £9. 18. 1¼.; patron and incumbent, the Rev. Henry Hoskins: the tithes have been commuted for £300, and the glebe comprises 44 acres. The church is a cruciform structure, erected about the period of Henry VII., with a plain tower supported by four enriched arches; an altar-piece has lately been put up, from the chisel of Westmacott, jun., in alto-relievo, representing the Last Supper, after Leonardo da Vinci. Part of a moat and bridge, still remaining, denotes that a fortified building once stood here.
Perrot, South (St. Mary)
PERROT, SOUTH (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Beaminster, hundred of Beaminster-Forum, and Redhone, Bridport division of Dorset, 4¼ miles (N. by W.) from Beaminster; containing 387 inhabitants. It consists of 1451a. 2r. 28p., and is situated on the road from Dorchester to Crewkerne. Limestone is quarried for burning. The living is a rectory, with that of Mosterton annexed, valued in the king's books at £17. 14. 2., and in the gift of the family of Wills: the tithes of the parish have been commuted for £225, and the glebe comprises 77 acres.
PERRY-BAR, an ecclesiastical district, in the parish of Handsworth, union of West Bromwich, S. division of the hundred of Offlow and of the county of Stafford, 4 miles (N. W.) from Birmingham. This district or township, which comprises 4042a. 2r. 10p., and is separated from the township of Handsworth by the river Tame, has long been partly the property of the Goughs, whose representative, John Gough, Esq., is lord of the manor. Perry Hall, the family seat, lately rebuilt, is surrounded by a moat, and situated in a park ornamented with trees of stately growth; about half a mile from the church is Oldford Mill, occupied by John Willmore, Esq., and having neat gardens. The village is near the new road to Walsall. The Liverpool railway passes through the township, in a line nearly parallel with the river Tame; and to the north of the village and railway, is a branch of the Birmingham canal, opened for public traffic on the 14th February 1844, and intended to assist in carrying off the produce of the Staffordshire collieries and iron-works. The line was originally suggested by the late Mr. Watt, and was executed under the direction of Mr. James Walker, civil engineer, with great improvements in the towing-paths, bridges, and locks, the last passing a boat in one minute. The church, dedicated to St. John, cost £6000, and was consecrated by the Bishop of Lichfield in 1833; it is in the early English style, and the living is a perpetual curacy, endowed by Mr. Gough with £200 per annum. That gentleman has expended not less than £16,000 in the erection and endowment of the church, and the erection of the parsonage-house, which is contiguous to the church, and harmonizes with it in style. There is a place of worship for Independents, with a school attached; and two schools in connexion with the church are supported by Mr. Gough.
PERRY, EAST, a hamlet, partly in the parish of Graffham, hundred of Leightonstone, and partly in that of Great Staughton, hundred of Toseland, union of St. Neot's, county of Huntingdon, 3¾ miles (E. by S.) from Kimbolton; containing 223 inhabitants.
PERRY-HILL, a tything, in the parish of Worplesdon, union of Guildford, First division of the hundred of Woking, W. division of the county of Surrey; containing 611 inhabitants. The parochial church stands in the tything.
PERSHALL, a township, in the parish of Eccleshall, union of Stone, N. division of the hundred of Pirehill and of the county of Stafford, 1 mile (N. W.) from Eccleshall; containing 115 inhabitants. The tithes have been commuted for £65. 17.
PERSHORE, a market-town, and the head of a union, partly in the parish of St. Andrew, and partly in that of Holy Cross, Upper division of the hundred of Pershore, Pershore and E. divisions of the county of Worcester, 9 miles (S. E.) from Worcester, and 102 (N. W. by W.) from London; containing 2813 inhabitants. The name of this place, variously spelt Persore, Pearshore, and Pershore, is thought by Camden to be derived from Periscoran, in allusion to the numerous peartrees which grew in the vicinity. A convent was founded here, according to William of Malmesbury, by Egelward, Duke of Dorset, or, as others suppose, by Oswald, nephew of Ethelred, King of Mercia, about 689, for secular clerks. It was remodelled by Edgar, as a monastery for Benedictine monks, about 984, and dedicated to the Virgin Mary, St. Peter, and St. Paul, and afterwards to Edburga, eighth daughter of Edward the Elder. The buildings suffered repeatedly from fire, especially in 1287, when a considerable part of the town was also destroyed: at the Dissolution, the revenue was valued at £666. 13. The remains are the church of the Holy Cross, and the Abbey house, but the latter has undergone such alterations that every vestige of its ancient character is lost.
The town is pleasantly situated on the lower road from Worcester to London, and on the western bank of the Avon, which is here navigable, and is crossed by a bridge on the south. The principal street is about three-quarters of a mile in length; the greater part is well paved, and the houses are of respectable appearance. In 1845 an act was passed for a railway from Oxford, by Pershore, to Wolverhampton. The market is on Tuesday; and fairs are held on Easter-Tuesday, June 26th (called the Great Fair), the first Monday in August, and the Tuesday before November 1st. The town returned two burgesses to parliament in the reign of Edward I. The powers of the county debt-court of Pershore, established in 1847, extend over the registration-district of Pershore. As to civil jurisdiction the parishes of St. Andrew and Holy Cross are distinct: that of St. Andrew embraces several chapelries, and comprises 6537 acres, of which about 700 are in the town portion; that of Holy Cross, including also some hamlets, contains 4377 acres. The living of St. Andrew's is a discharged vicarage, with the curacy of Besford annexed, valued in the king's books at £8. 19. 2.; net income, £588; patrons and appropriators, the Dean and Chapter of Westminster. The church consists of a choir and south transept, the remains of a noble cruciform edifice; and is partly Norman, but principally in the early English style. The church of the Holy Cross is later English; it was enlarged and beautified in 1846: the living is held as a curacy, with the vicarage of St. Andrew's. There is a place of worship for Baptists. The poor-law union of Pershore comprises forty parishes or places, and contains a population of 13,382.
Pertenhall (St. Peter and St. Paul)
PERTENHALL (St. Peter and St. Paul), a parish, in the union of St. Neot's, hundred of Stodden, county of Bedford, 2 miles (S. W. by S.) from Kimbolton; containing 420 inhabitants. It comprises by measurement 1800 acres; the soil is a stiff clay, with some gravel, and the surface hilly. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £18; net income, £215; patron, the Rev. J. K. Martyn: the tithes have been commuted for £30. 7. 6. Here was a preceptory of the Knights Templars, of which only the site, surrounded by a moat, is now remaining. In the parish is a chalybeate spring called Chadwell.
PERTHOLEY, a parochial chapelry, in the union of Abergavenny, Lower division of the hundred of Usk, county of Monmouth, 4¼ miles (S. by E.) from Usk. The living is annexed to the vicarage of Llantrissent. The chapel is dedicated to St. Bartholomew.
Pertwood (St. Peter)
PERTWOOD (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Mere, hundred of Warminster, though locally in the hundred of Dunworth, Hindon and S. divisions of Wilts, 2 miles (N. W.) from Hindon; containing 24 inhabitants. This parish, which comprises 428a. 17p., is intersected by the road between Shaftesbury and Warminster. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £3. 1. 5½., and in the gift of H. Seymour, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for £70, and the glebe comprises 10 acres. The church, a very small structure, has a chancel supposed to have been erected anterior to the Reformation.