A Topographical Dictionary of England. Originally published by S Lewis, London, 1848.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
CHATHILL, a township, in the parish of Ellingham, union of Belford, S. division of Bambrough ward, N. division of Northumberland, 9½ miles (N. by E.) from Alnwick; containing 18 inhabitants. It is situated a little distance north-east from Ellingham, near the road between Alnwick and Belford.
CHATLEY, a hamlet, in the parish of Great Leighs, union of Chelmsford, hundred of Witham, N. division of Essex, 4 miles (S. by W.) from Braintree; containing 563 inhabitants. This place extends for some distance on each side of the road to Chelmsford. An ancient hermitage, called St. Ann's, is now an inn.
CHATSWORTH, a hamlet, in the parish of Edensor, union of Bakewell, hundred of High Peak, N. division of the county of Derby, 3½ miles (E. N. E.) from Bakewell, containing, with the township of Edensor, 379 inhabitants. The hamlet comprises 1105a. 1r. 21p. of land, the property of the Duke of Devonshire; and consists almost wholly of Chatsworth Park, which extends into the hamlet of Edensor, and the townships of Baslow and Beeley, and comprises 1200 acres of land, whereof about 400 are wood. The park is about nine miles in circumference, and is stocked with cattle, sheep, and about 2000 head of brown and fallow deer; it is diversified with rugged cliffs, pleasing undulations, verdant lawns, beautiful pleasure-grounds, and bold eminences crowned with plantations, while the Derwent winds its serpentine course through the vale. The magnificent mansion of Chatsworth is built upon the site of a more ancient edifice, in which Mary, Queen of Scots, passed a considerable portion of her captivity. Sir John Gell garrisoned the old mansion for the parliament in 1643; but he capitulated to the Earl of Newcastle, who placed in it Col. Eyre, with a sufficient force, to hold it for the king; and in 1645 it withstood the siege of 400 parliamentarians under Gell, who, at the expiration of fourteen days, raised the siege, and retired to Derby. After the battle of Blenheim, in 1704, Marshal Tallard, the French general, having been made prisoner on that occasion, was sent to reside at Chatsworth.
The present edifice was begun about 1687, and completed in 1706, by William Cavendish, the first duke of Devonshire, and has been since greatly enlarged and improved. The principal or western front consists of three divisions of equal dimensions, the central compartment, which is projected, being distinguished by four fluted Ionic columns that support an ornamented frieze and a pediment, within the tympanum of which the arms of the family are admirably sculptured in stone; the right and left portions of the front have each four fluted Ionic pilasters, and the whole is surmounted with open balustrades, divided into sections adorned with urns and statues. The south front is also very imposing, and has a double flight of steps in the centre. The taste and magnificence of the present duke have been displayed by the erection of the great northern wing, from the designs of Wyatville. This splendid wing is 385 feet in length, and forms a continuation of the east front, making the whole line 557 feet, and presenting one of the best specimens of masonry in the kingdom. The exterior is classically beautiful; the northern termination being distinguished by an elegant Italian tower, in the construction of which the Doric, the Ionic, and the Corinthian orders have been tastefully employed.
The grand entrance to the mansion commands an extensive and varied view of scenery of uncommon beauty: the magnificent hall is adorned with rich paintings, and round three sides of it is a gallery defended by open balustrades. The buildings comprise, besides numerous suites of apartments for visiters, a large number of state rooms, including a gorgeous banqueting-hall, great dining-room, and drawing-room; a sculpture-gallery, in which are the finest works of art; a gallery of paintings, containing rare specimens of the ancient masters; a splendid library, 90 feet in length; a music-room, billiard-room; armoury; and chapel, which is seated and lined throughout with cedar-wood; and suites of private apartments for the duke and household. In the gardens, lawns, and shrubberies, are fine pieces of sculpture, with water-works and fountains; the orangery is 108 feet long, and a conservatory covers about an acre of land. Her Majesty, her royal consort, and the court, visited the Duke of Devonshire on December 1st, 1843; and remained at Chatsworth till the 4th.
Chatteris (St. Peter and St. Paul)
CHATTERIS (St. Peter and St. Paul), a parish, in the union and hundred of North Witchford, Isle of Ely, county of Cambridge, 8¾ miles (E. by N.) from Ramsey; containing 4813 inhabitants. This place, which is situated near the river Ouse, is of great antiquity. In 980, a Benedictine nunnery was founded here, and endowed by Alfwen, wife of Earl Ethelstan, and sister of Ednod, first abbot of Ramsey, who was raised to the see of Dorchester, and was murdered by the Danes in 1016: the nunnery continued to flourish till the Dissolution, when its revenue was estimated at £112. 3. 6. The parish comprises 13,454a. 26p., of which about 3000 acres are upland and dry, and the remainder, with the exception of the site of the village, flat, but well drained; the soil is gravel, alternated with sand and clay, of which last excellent bricks are made: considerable improvement, both in the agriculture and in the soil, has taken place since the inclosure in 1812. Chatteris is a franchise under the Bishop of Ely, who holds a court leet for appointing officers, in a house called the Guildhall, given to the parish, with other premises and lands, producing together nearly £70 per annum, which are distributed amongst infirm old men and widows. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £10; net income, £1370; patron and incumbent, the Rev. M. A. Gathercole: impropriator, Charles Cholmondeley, Esq. The tithes were commuted for land and corn-rents, under the inclosure act. There are places of worship for Particular Baptists and Wesleyans. At Hunny farm are the subterraneous remains of a chapel, supposed to have contained the bones of St. Huna. In 1757, on opening a tumulus near Somersham Ferry, several human skeletons, some military weapons, an urn, and a glass vase, were found.
CHATTERLEY, a township, in the parish of Wolstanton, union of Wolstanton and Burslem, N. division of the hundred of Pirehill and of the county of Stafford, 2 miles (N.) from Newcastle, on the road to Sandbach; containing 374 inhabitants. It includes the ancient vills of Dimsdale and Bradwell, and comprises 1563 acres. The houses are scattered.
Chattisham (All Saints and St. Margaret)
CHATTISHAM (All Saints and St. Margaret), a parish, in the incorporation and hundred of Samford, E. division of Suffolk, 5½ miles (E. by N.) from Ipswich; containing 215 inhabitants, and comprising 713a. 3r. 7p. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £4. 13. 5.; patrons and appropriators, the Provost and Fellows of Eton College. The vicarial tithes have been commuted for £142. 10., and the glebe comprises 21 acres, with a glebe-house. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.
Chatton (Holy Cross)
CHATTON (Holy Cross), a parish, in the union of Glendale, E. division of Glendale ward, N. division of Northumberland, 4 miles (E.) from Wooler, on the road to Belford; containing 1725 inhabitants. This parish, which is intersected by the river Till, comprises by measurement 15,830 acres, whereof 7035 are arable, 8311 pasture, and 484 woodland. It abounds with limestone and coal, the working of which affords employment to a considerable number of the population; the latter is chiefly for home consumption. Clay of good quality is found for the making of bricks and tiles, which is carried on to a moderate extent; and there are several quarries of freestone of excellent quality for building. A large fair is held at Weetwood Bank, on the third Tuesday in May, for all kinds of stock, and also for cloth, shoes, hardware, and various other articles. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £12. 16. 0½.; net income, £198; patron, the Duke of Northumberland; impropriators, the Earl of Tankerville and others. The church was rebuilt about 1763. A curious stone coffin was discovered in the churchyard a few years since, while digging a grave, and has been placed in the chancel of the church; it contained some human bones, pieces of armour, and a coin of Robert Bruce. There are vestiges of encampments in various parts of the parish; and numerous fossils are found in the limestone-quarries.
Chawley (St. James)
CHAWLEY (St. James), a parish, in the union of Crediton, hundred of North Tawton, South Molton and N. divisions of Devon, 2 miles (S. E. by E.) from Chulmleigh; containing 850 inhabitants. The parish comprises 4350 acres, of which 540 are common or waste. Fairs for cattle are held on May 6th and Dec. 11th. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £25. 14. 2.; net income, £455; patron, the Hon. N. Fellowes. The church has a low steeple covered with oak shingles, and contains some elegant screen-work.
Chawton (St. Nicholas)
CHAWTON (St. Nicholas), a parish, in the union and hundred of Alton, Alton and N. divisions of the county of Southampton, 1¼ mile (S. S. W.) from Alton; containing 460 inhabitants. This parish, which consists by computation of 2600 acres, whereof several hundred are rich woodland, and 60 common or waste, is situated in a district abounding with picturesque scenery. It comprises a beautiful and fertile valley, watered by numerous springs that occasionally spread over the adjacent lands; and within its limits is one of the sources of the river Wey. There is a quarry of stone for building walls and cottages. The village, through which the high road passes, contains several handsome houses. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £11. 5. 5., and in the gift of Edward Knight, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for £500, and the glebe comprises 70 acres, with a glebe-house. The church, which was enlarged in 1839 at an expense of £900, contains a handsome monument to Sir Richard Knight.
Cheadle (St. Mary),
CHEADLE (St. Mary), a parish, partly in the union of Stockport, and partly in that of Altrincham, hundred of Macclesfield, N. division of the county of Chester, 7 miles (S.) from Manchester; containing 10,145 inhabitants, of whom 5463 are in Cheadle-Bulkeley, 2288 in Cheadle-Moseley, and 2394 in Handforth with Bosden. The parish comprises by measurement 5469 acres, chiefly arable and pasture land; of these, 1666 acres are in Cheadle-Bulkeley, and 2745 in Cheadle-Moseley. The village, situated near the Mersey, is remarkable for the beauty and salubrity of its situation, and its neat appearance. The chief employment of the inhabitants of the parish is the spinning, bleaching, and printing of cotton. The Manchester and Birmingham railway passes through Cheadle-Bulkeley, and the Macclesfield branch diverges from it there; another railway, from Birkenhead, joining the Manchester and Birmingham railway at Stockport, also passes through a part of the parish. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £13. 0. 7½.; net income, £635; patron, the Rev. D. Broughton: there is a good rectory-house, with a small glebe. The church is principally in the later English style, with aisles and a tower, and contains some monuments of the Brereton and Bulkeley families. Parts of the screen-work in one of the chapels, and the roof of the chancel, are supposed to belong to a church much older; the date of 1369 can be traced. A church has been built at Handforth. There are places of worship for Methodists and Roman Catholics. A school at Cheadle-Moseley, built by subscription, was endowed by Mr. J. Robinson, in 1785, with three acres of land. A neat Church of England school, near the church, is supported by subscription; and opposite the chapel is a Roman Catholic school.
Cheadle (St. Giles)
CHEADLE (St. Giles), a market-town and parish, and the head of a union, in the S. division of the hundred of Totmonslow, N. division of the county of Stafford, 14 miles (N. N. E.) from Stafford, and 147 miles (N. W. by N.) from London; containing 4399 inhabitants. This place is situated in a valley environed by hills, which, though formerly barren, have been planted with forest-trees, and have assumed the appearance of verdure and cultivation. The town, which is intersected by the roads from Newcastle to Ashbourn, and from Leek to Uttoxeter, consists of one principal and four smaller streets: the houses in the main street have, for the most part, been either rebuilt or modernised of late years, and appear substantial and roomy. The inhabitants are supplied with water from a rivulet, called Cicely's Brook, and from springs and pumps. Tape, copper, and brass works are extensively carried on in the town and neighbourhood: copper-ore has been discovered, but not in sufficient quantity to repay the expense of working it; and the vicinity abounds with coal. The Caldon branch of the Trent and Mersey canal passes within four miles of the town, by Oakamoor, the chief seat of the copper and brass works. The market is on Friday: a small square has been appropriated for the market-place. The fairs are on HolyThursday and Aug. 21st, for cattle. The powers of the county debt-court of Cheadle, established in 1847, extend over the registration-district of Cheadle, and the parish of Croxden.
The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £12. 9. 2.; net income, £438; patrons, the Master and Fellows of Trinity College, Cambridge. The old church, which was principally in the decorated English style, with a square embattled tower crowned by pinnacles, and, though much mutilated and disfigured by alterations, retained some features of its original character, has been lately taken down, and a new church on a much larger scale, containing 1480 sittings, erected by subscription, aided by the Incorporated and Diocesan Societies. St. Chad's chapel, a stone edifice in the early English style, was opened for divine service in 1843, and consecrated in 1846. A chapel has also been lately built at Oakamoor. There are places of worship for Independents, Wesleyans, the New Connexion of Methodists, or Kilhamites, and Roman Catholics. St. Giles's church, for the last mentioned, was designed by Mr. Pugin, and built at the cost of the Earl of Shrewsbury; though not very large, it is an exceedingly costly and highly ornamented structure in the decorated English style, the tower and spire rising from the site 200 feet. A school was founded in 1685, by Mr. Stubbs, who endowed it with a rent-charge of £20; and to this the trustees of Mr. Andrew Newton added £30, the interest of which is paid to the master. Mr. Fowler, in 1663, gave a rent-charge of £6; Mr. Charles Beech, in 1726, bequeathed £26 per annum; and Mrs. Frances Grosvenor, of Hale Hall, in 1727, gave a rent-charge of £10; all for distribution among the poor. The union of Cheadle comprises 15 places, and contains a population of 17,859.
Cheam (St. Dunstan)
CHEAM (St. Dunstan), a parish, in the union of Epsom, Second division of the hundred of Wallington, E. division of Surrey, 1½ mile (N. E. by E.) from Ewell; containing 1109 inhabitants. This parish comprises the districts of Lower and North Cheam, the latter of which is situated on the high road from London to Worthing. The manor anciently belonged to the Lumley family, a member of which sold his collection of books to James I., thus laying the foundation of the royal library now in the British Museum. About half a mile to the southwest of the village was the magnificent palace of Nonsuch, in the parish of Cuddington. The parish comprises 1894a. 3r. 6p., of which nearly 1200 acres are arable, 581 meadow and pasture, and 14 wood. A vein of clay is found of excellent quality for making casting-moulds, and for tobacco-pipes, of which there is a manufactory; and a pottery, chiefly for chimney and flower pots, affords employment to several hands. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £17. 5. 5., and in the patronage of St. John's College, Oxford: the tithes have been commuted for £625, and the glebe comprises 26 acres, with a glebe-house. The church, an ancient and spacious edifice, was, with the exception of the tower, rebuilt of brick in 1740; the chancel contains several monuments to the Lumleys. Sir Edmund Yates, Knt., many years one of the justices of the king's bench and common pleas, noticed with eulogium by Junius in his letters, resided and was interred here; Bishop Watson was also buried in the parish, of which he had been rector. Of six successive rectors, from 1581 to 1662, five became bishops, viz., Watson, Andrews, Mountain, Senhouse, and Hackett.
CHEAPSIDES, an extra-parochial liberty, in the union of Howden, wapentake of Howdenshire, E. riding of York, 5½ miles (E.) from Howden; containing 47 inhabitants. This place, which adjoins Scalby, comprises about 10 acres, being cottages, and plots of land attached to them, on Walling Fen, built and inclosed previously to the general inclosure.
Chearsley (St. Nicholas)
CHEARSLEY (St. Nicholas), a parish, in the union of Aylesbury, hundred of Ashendon, county of Buckingham, 3½ miles (N. N. E.) from Thame; containing 308 inhabitants. The parish is supposed to have been the scene of a battle which Cerdic and Cynric fought with the Britons in 527, mentioned in the Saxon Chronicle as having occurred at Cerdicesleagh. It comprises by measurement 914 acres, about two-thirds of which are arable, and the rest pasture. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the gift of Miss Grubbe; net income, £46.
Chebsey (All Saints)
CHEBSEY (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Stone, S. division of the hundred of Pirehill, N. division of the county of Stafford, 2 miles (E. by S.) from Eccleshall; containing, with the township of ColdNorton, 442 inhabitants. The parish comprises about 4012 acres of land, whereof 2812a. 3r. 18p. are in Chebsey township, which includes the hamlet of Shallowfield. The village, which is small and ancient, lies in a narrow valley near the confluence of the Eccleshall water with the river Sow. The Liverpool and Birmingham railway passes through the parish. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £5. 7. 6.; patrons and appropriators, the Dean and Chapter of Lichfield: the great tithes have been commuted for £463, and the vicarial for £70; the vicar has a glebe of 90 acres. The church is an ancient structure, standing above the village. In the churchyard was formerly a tall pyramidal stone, supposed to be the memorial of a bishop slain near this place.
Checkendon (St. Peter and St. Paul)
CHECKENDON (St. Peter and St. Paul), a parish, in the union of Henley, hundred of Langtree, county of Oxford, 7½ miles (W.) from Henley-onThames; containing 398 inhabitants. The number of acres is 3063, of which 2158a. 3r. 39p. are titheable; about 746 are beech-woods, and 73 common or waste. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £19. 9. 4½., and in the patronage of University College, Oxford: the tithes have been commuted for £560, and the glebe comprises 117¾ acres. The church is a highly interesting edifice in the Norman style, with a circular east end and a low embattled tower: there are two fine Norman arches, with columns having highly enriched capitals; and on the floor are two ancient brasses, dated respectively 1404 and 1424, with engraved effigies. In the chancel is a curious monument to the memory of Christiana, wife of Richard Braybrook, who died in 1629; also a monument to the memory of T. Stanyan, Esq., author of a History of Greece, who died in 1751.
Checkley, with Wrinehill
CHECKLEY, with Wrinehill, a township, in the parish of Wybunbury, union and hundred of Nantwich, S. division of the county of Chester, 7 miles (S. E. by E.) from Nantwich; containing 213 inhabitants. It comprises 1431a. 3r. 31p. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for £140, and the vicarial for £23. 6.
Checkley (St. Mary and All Saints)
CHECKLEY (St. Mary and All Saints), a parish, in the union of Cheadle, S. division of the hundred of Totmonslow, N. division of the county of Stafford, 4 miles (S. S. E.) from Cheadle; containing, with part of Foxt, 2322 inhabitants. It comprises by measurement 6034 acres, whereof 4700 are meadow and pasture, about 850 arable, and 390 woodland: the soil is of a fertile quality. The parish is in three divisions, namely, Tean, Madeley-Holme, and Foxt; the village of Checkley, which is seated on the north side of the river Tean, is in the first-named division. Beamhurst, Deadman's-Green, and Fole are hamlets in the parish. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £20. 2. 6.; net income, £576; patron and incumbent, the Rev. William Hutchinson: there is a glebe of considerable value. The church is an ancient structure, with a tower: the porch and an early English arch leading to the interior are worthy of notice; there is some painted glass, also a very handsome Saxon font, and a marble tomb with recumbent figures to Sir Jeffrey Foljambe. In the churchyard are three crosses, or pyramidal stones, said to have been erected to the memory of three bishops who fell in a battle between the Saxons and Danes. At Tean is a separate incumbency. Attached to the church is a Sunday school.—See Tean.
Chedburgh (All Saints)
CHEDBURGH (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Thingoe, hundred of Risbridge, W. division of Suffolk, 6½ miles (S. W.) from Bury St. Edmund's; containing 284 inhabitants, and comprising 566a. 1r. 16p. The living is a discharged rectory, in the gift of the Marquess of Bristol, valued in the king's books at £4. 2. 8½.: the tithes have been commuted for £143. 2., and the glebe consists of nearly 28 acres. The church is a small structure, with an east window in the decorated style; a chancel was built by subscription in 1839, and in 1840 a beautiful tower and spire were added by the marquess, in the early English style. The Hon. William Hervey, in 1812, bequeathed property for the endowment of a school, for which a house has been built at the expense of the Marquess of Bristol.
Chedder (St. Andrew)
CHEDDER (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union of Axbridge, hundred of Winterstoke, E. division of Somerset, 2½ miles (E. S. E.) from Axbridge; containing 2325 inhabitants. This place is of considerable antiquity, having been the occasional residence of the Saxon monarchs, and in the possession of Alfred the Great, who bequeathed his hunting-seat at Chedder, together with his brugge of Ax, and the wet moor, now Nedmore, to his son. The name is generally deduced from Ced, a brow or height, and Dwr, water; a broad, clear, and rapid stream flows through the parish, and turns some paper-mills. The surface comprises 6697a. 3r. 24p.; about 1140 acres are arable, 3136 meadow and pasture, 159 woodland, and 2261 in sheep-walks. Chedder Cliff, a vast chasm more than a mile in length, and appearing as if the mountain had been rent by an earthquake from the summit to the base, exhibits a combination of rocky precipices and gloomy caverns, some of the rocks towering 800 feet above the level of the valley. The principal cavern is about 100 feet high at the entrance, and afterwards sinks 300 feet beneath the rocks, branching out into several collateral apartments, and producing a perfect and pleasing echo; the sides and roof are covered with stalactites that have assumed a variety of fanciful forms. The village consists of three or four irregular streets, in one of which stands a dilapidated hexagonal market-cross: it was once a considerable market-town, the grant having been made to Joceline, Bishop of Wells, in the 19th of Henry III.; but it is now principally celebrated for its excellent cheese. Several of the inhabitants are employed in the tanning of leather, and the knitting of worsted stockings; and fairs for horned-cattle and sheep are held on May 4th and Oct. 29th. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £23. 16. 8.; patrons and appropriators, the Dean and Chapter of Wells: the appropriate and the vicarial tithes have been commuted for £400 each, and the glebe consists of 41 acres, with a glebehouse. The church is a large and handsome structure, with a tower 100 feet high, surmounted by pinnacles. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. In 1751, Sarah Comer bequeathed £6052 three per cents., producing a dividend of £181. 11., which is applied to the instruction and the relief of the poor. A Sunday school was supported for 40 years, by the celebrated Hannah More.
Cheddington (St. Giles)
CHEDDINGTON (St. Giles), a parish, in the union of Leighton-Buzzard, hundred of Cottesloe, county of Buckingham, 4½ miles (N. W.) from Tring; containing, with part of Seabrook hamlet, 439 inhabitants. It comprises by computation 1389 acres, of which 1023 are arable, 215 meadow and pasture, and 140 common. The London and Birmingham railway passes about a mile to the east of the village, and near this place the branch railway to Aylesbury commences. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £15. 9. 7., and in the patronage of the Trustees of the Earl of Bridgewater: the tithes have been commuted for £300, and the glebe contains 81 acres, with a glebe-house.
Cheddleton (St. Edward)
CHEDDLETON (St. Edward), a parish, in the union of Cheadle, N. division of the hundred of Totmonslow and of the county of Stafford, 3½ miles (S. by W.) from Leek; comprising the townships of Basford, Cheddleton, and Consall or Cunsall; and containing 1824 inhabitants, of whom 1285 are in the township of Cheddleton. The parish consists of 8850 acres, whereof 1000, probably, are woodland, and the remainder chiefly pasture; in some parts sand prevails, in others clay, with peat or a dark soil on the surface, and the scenery is very beautiful. Coal is wrought, and gritstone and burr-stone quarried; there are also a silkthrowing-mill, a paper-mill established a few years since, a dye-house, a brewery, and some coal and lime wharfs. The river Churnet intersects the parish; and the Churnet Valley railway, and Caldon and Uttoxeter branches of the Trent and Mersey canal, also pass through. Among the residences here, are, Ashcombe, the seat of William Sneyd, Esq., a very substantial mansion in the Grecian style; Rownall Hall, of Smith Child, Esq.; and Basford Hall, of the Rev. John Sneyd. This last has been rebuilt on an ancient site by the present owner, in the Elizabethan style, and is beautifully situated on the brow of a hill, commanding a splendid panoramic view of the country around, including an ornamental castle lately erected, a spacious plain, the vale of the Churnet, and some fine woodland and mountain scenery. Here is also a good old mansion called Mosslee, originally the property of the Hollins family, from whom it descended by marriage to the Boothbys; it now belongs to Mr. Sneyd of Ashcombe. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £160; patron and incumbent, the Rev. Edward Powys. The land is almost wholly tithefree. The church, situated on an eminence, is in the pointed style, and embellished with a tower. The Wesleyans have a place of worship; and a church has been built at Wetley Rocks, which see. In 1724, James Whitehall bequeathed £200 for teaching children, and £30 to build a schoolroom; John Bagnall added a rentcharge of £5. At a field near Ferny hill is the shaft of a very ancient cross, eleven feet high, standing on three circular stone steps.
Cheddon-Fitzpaine (St. Mary Magdalene)
CHEDDON-FITZPAINE (St. Mary Magdalene), a parish, in the union of Taunton, hundred of Taunton and Taunton-Dean, W. division of Somerset, 3 miles (N. by E.) from Taunton; containing 357 inhabitants. The parish is situated on the river Tone, by which it is bounded on the south; and the Taunton and Bridgwater canal passes through: it comprises by measurement 945 acres, of which about 538 are arable, 327 meadow, and 43 orchard. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £13. 10. 10.; patron and incumbent, the Rev. F. Warre: the tithes have been commuted for £325, and the glebe comprises 89 acres, with a glebe-house. A school is supported by some small bequests.